• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SWERY65 Returns to Game Development, Opens New Studio White Owls Inc

SOR5

aaaaand were back

Also White Owls
mediaasset_003.jpg

he needs to perform whatever black magic Suda51 and Yoko Taro did that lets them keep getting budgets to make games regardless of bombing

Mostly for Deadly Premonition. Because it's a bad game that is just amazing, it's hard to explain. Maybe Swery himself could try:

https://youtu.be/us2s_ZaujPc (Interview with Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis)

Thanks for this. I've since found out he was also involved in D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die. I own it for Xbox One, is it any good? I'm intrigued now, not a fan of the "quirks" in Japanese games but I told myself this year I'd be more open to different and varied gaming experiences.

BiggNife

Thanks for this. I've since found out he was also involved in D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die. I own it for Xbox One, is it any good? I'm intrigued now, not a fan of the "quirks" in Japanese games but I told myself this year I'd be more open to different and varied gaming experiences.

It's a really unique, weird experience that is unlike anything else I've played; Give it a try. Just be aware that the story is probably going to remain unfinished because SWERY left the dev studio (Access Games) when he went on break and it sounds like they still own the IP.

Hexer06

Yessss! Glad to hear he's doing well and back in gaming. I loved D4. Sure wish we at least got the Season 2 that he teased (with a screenshot even) a long time ago lol. Ah well, at least he's making games again. :D

BiggNife

Hm.

I wonder if this was an effort to get out of a non-compete clause.

I do wonder what happened to him at Access. It seems like there was more to this story besides the health issues because otherwise I would've assumed he'd come back to Access to finish D4 Season 2, since that game was his baby.

It's very good, maybe a little more self-consciously over the top than Deadly Premium ition. The gameplay is basically point and click adventure designed around controllers.

I loved it. The main plot isn't really all that compelling, it's the goofy side conversations like the very in-depth, heated American food debates that make it special.

Oh boy, this sounds weird (in a good way) I'll give it a go. Thank you Speaker Boogy. 😋

It's a really unique, weird experience that is unlike anything else I've played; Give it a try. Just be aware that the story is probably going to remain unfinished because SWERY left the dev studio (Access Games) when he went on break and it sounds like they still own the IP.

Thanks. It's been sitting on my HDD for months, maybe even longer since I think it was a Get games and I never tried it. Now I will.

I think it's worth 5 bucks in a sale, but the structure was supposed to be TV series like and now webonly have 2 episodes and a mean cliffhanger at the end. Also the gameplay really was made for use with kinect 2. I mean it plays 100% fine with a controller, but mimicing motions with a controller... we all know from Heavy Rain that it's not really fun.

I think it's worth 5 bucks in a sale, but the structure was supposed to be TV series like and now webonly have 2 episodes and a mean cliffhanger at the end. Also the gameplay really was made for use with kinect 2. I mean it plays 100% fine with a controller, but mimicing motions with a controller... we all know from Heavy Rain that it's not really fun.

Wait D4 supports Kinect? Lol this is great, only thing I use my Kinect for is Xbox On/off and Xbox play/pause lol.

Wait D4 supports Kinect? Lol this is great, only thing I use my Kinect for is Xbox On/off and Xbox play/pause lol.
It's just really simple motions, but a lot of them are timed and hectic... But because it's just simple motions and Kinect 2 is kinda working as advertised, it's actually fun. Much preferred it over playing with the controller.

D4 and Deadly Premonition are both Access IP that he has no access to.
Not only did he leave Access in November, but if you follow his Twitter it is VERY clear that they did not leave on good terms.

Can't even fathom the man working for Access in any way shape or form for quite a long time. So unless Access (without Swery) decides to return to those IP, they're both dead.

SomTervo

Zach, do you think this is a good idea?

YES

53709974.jpg

But seriously I have no idea who this is can someone enlighten me I am sure I am not the only one

Cult game maker. His games are like surreal, story-driven Japanese ones. Imagine David Cage (Heavy Rain) meets David lynch (Twin Peaks) games. Most famously made Deadly Premonition and D4.

Jhoan

I'm looking forward to seeing what he creates under his new studio. Hopefully come by E3 there will be some kind of idea as to what he's working on. I enjoyed the hell out of Deadly Premonition with all its warts.

I didn't check out D4 but I saw videos of it and was happy to see that it retained Deadly Premonition's charm but doubled down on the quirky humor.

Zach, do you think this is a good idea?

YES

Cult game maker. His games are like surreal, story-driven Japanese ones. Imagine David Cage (Heavy Rain) meets David lynch (Twin Peaks) games. Most famously made Deadly Premonition and D4.

Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about deadly premonition I guess I'll check it out.

rbenchley

was he the one who suggested a game with a girl who solves crime through masturbating?

because I'd like that.

Swery is a goddamn maniac, but in the best way. It's like someone scrolling through the fake Peter Moydeux Twitter account and deciding that he can make games that are weirder and cooler than the ideas listed there.

Parsnip

D4 and Deadly Premonition are both Access IP that he has no access to.
Not only did he leave Access in November, but if you follow his Twitter it is VERY clear that they did not leave on good terms.

Can't even fathom the man working for Access in any way shape or form for quite a long time. So unless Access (without Swery) decides to return to those IP, they're both dead.

Actually Access doesn't own DP, I'm think Marvelous does.
If I remember right.

Top Bottom