• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will be my last chance for gaming

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nintendo and PC is the way to go.

giphy.gif

If you can only find "cinematic realistic games" in huge libraries like PS5/XSX, you're either lying and consolewarring or just straight up incompetent, to the point you really shouldn't use "as I'm getting older" in your argument.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
he said Nintendo AND PC not Nintendo or PC.
I mean PC is also not getting FFVIIRebirth day one.....so for me Switch and PS5 is the best option.

Edit: Also not all Vanillaware games available on switch like Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I used to skip cutscene, if its omly gameplay that enticed me, i can see it on youtube play should i need the story.

Well, as you all know I made some kind of controversial threads here...
Well, first! I'm so sorry about that...

So, I think my last chance will be Switch 2, because I've been waiting for a long time, to see a next gen 3D Mario and maybe a diferent art concept for Zelda...
Metroid 4 will be probably a good experience, bringing back all that Samus universe as well...
Maybe a new Donkey Kong 2D or 3D, and Mario Kart 9...

I dindn't like PS5 and Xbox, and I bought the both consoles... Was not a good experience to me...

I think I'm tired of cinematic games, or ultra realistic games at all...
I don't know if it's happening because I'm getting older and maybe less time to waste playing complex stories, you know?

So, today the games that I've been playing are almost like Fighting games, and some 3D plataform games...
I mean, Fighting games you can play literally forever... More gameplay, less politics, drama, complex stories...
I am sorry but PlayStation has lots of different Typ of games , game’s Nintendo can only dream of like little big planet flower pixel junk monsters ICO last guardian and so on.mod nation racers and little big planet has more style more ideas than Nintendo had in their full history of existence.
Games you can only play on big screen which shits on any Zelda from the next galaxy like Demons soul’s Dragons Dogma Elden ring and so on exists.
You praise Nintendo Nintendo in all there existence never did anything new all the time the same low budget 2D Mario and 3D mario Mario Tennis Mario soccer Mario golf yoshi donkey Kong which are basically all the same game in one you jump for coins in the other for wool in the other for bananas.
All other games Nintendo made like Wii fit and so on are pure state of the art trash in every way.
You should play less a specific typ of game and try different typ of games strategy games RPGs which are not Zelda.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I feel the same.

Nintendo, in my opinion, is poised to save gaming again, just like it did in the 1980's.
And after this inevitably happens, we will see a new renaissance, where both Sony and Microsoft are entirely gone from the picture, helping to make gaming pure and wholesome again. Sega will rise up from the ashes and Atari's former refulgence will be fully restored for all to see.

I call this, "The Great Gaming Reset".

The Switch 2 can't come soon enough.
755728.jpg

Lips Kiss GIF

Wonko_C

Switch 2 will just be a waste of a last chance, you will still be playing the same games, only prettier. Get a Meta Quest 3 instead, totally a different experience.

robor

So, I think my last chance will be Switch 2, because I've been waiting for a long time, to see a next gen 3D Mario and maybe a diferent art concept for Zelda...
Metroid 4 will be probably a good experience, bringing back all that Samus universe as well...

I dindn't like PS5 and Xbox, and I bought the both consoles... Was not a good experience to me...

I don't know if it's happening because I'm getting older and maybe less time to waste playing complex stories, you know?

So, today the games that I've been playing are almost like Fighting games, and some 3D plataform games...
I mean, Fighting games you can play literally forever... More gameplay, less politics, drama, complex stories...

Will a new mainline F-Zero game as a launch title convince you to stay?

iHaunter

I don't know what your expectations are. But let me save you some time. There will be a Zelda a game, one maybe two Mario games, and Smash, and the same games that were on all the other Nintendo consoles with a higher number. Most of the games will be the same.

Aces High

Same for me.

I can't stand most story-based AAA games anymore.

I loved these games during PS3 era when the modern cookie cutter formula got introduced by Sony, but now they just annoy the hell out of me. Every single cut scenes makes my blood boil.

It just feels awful when the dev takes control away from you for minutes in order to shove some cringe-level writing up your ass. Do you actually do something in the first hour of GOW Ragnarok besides watching cutscenes and walking around between scripted QTEs? I don't remember because there was nothing worth remembering except, of course, the usual highbrow manipulation tactics like the wolf scene.

Modern AAA games are boring, depressing, and humourless. Aloy for example is boring and humourless in an obnoxious way. And when people complain that they don't like her shallow character, the studio makes her face fatter and calls you mysogynistic.

As some users have already said: I'm leaning more and more towards Nintendo + PC. The PS5 is an outstanding video game console when it comes to user experience, but I just can't stand Sony's content strategy anymore.

I also don't care for graphics anymore. My PC is low to mid tier at best in terms of hardware.

All I want is to actually play something.

StereoVsn

What am I even reading here? Nintendo games and great story???

Mind you, I have the Switch and like it and its library. I also will get Switch 2 if it has BC. However if you want the most diverse libraries with story heavy games, PS5 has more. From Sony’s exclusives to Square Enix to Sega to stuff like Mass Effect Legacy to BG3 and much more, it’s all there.

Hell, if you really want platform they mostly has everything and even more, get a PC with its tremendous back catalog.

Your basically saying you want more gameplay and less story driven games. You should get a PC and or look into older games you missed out on.

People get so caught up into wanting the "next game" or "next console" and forgot about all the good games they missed out on in the past. The steam deck has really got me back into playing retro and older games, maybe look into a steam deck also.

Minsc

Gold Member
Must say, I never really understood those who require a "good story" in video games. It's the weakest form of entertainment for such a thing. Movies, and especially books in particular are vastly superior in that aspect.

It's simple really. A good story in a game is simply a reason to go about killing everyone (which is the premise of nearly 100% of all games - and there's probably something to be said about finding a hobby out of a medium where all you do is kill everything). But occasionally a game like GotG pulls off something that puts movies to shame. But then again, the game gets 15 hours and a movie gets 2-3 so it's not that surprising. Same way a great TV series generally can be a lot more interesting than a 2 hour movie.

Last edited:

blacktout

Good luck with that one, if Nintendo sticks to company tradition, Switch 2 is going to be a total disaster.

What tradition? Nintendo has only had two "total disasters" in its 40 years of making gaming hardware (the Virtual Boy and the Wii U). I don't see why we should expect another one so soon.

Last edited:
OP, if you feel like you had enough of gaming, just take a break. Skip a gen I would say.

Trying to make it work is not worth it. Switch 2 is not going anywhere. You will enjoy playing that much more, and might even have a new perspective.

I did that and would highly recommend that.

Alternatively, highly recommend something complex and difficult if you had enough of story games. Old infinity engine games are perfect when you feel indifferent to all new releases.

brian0057

Banned
Play more indies and less AAA.
If that doesn't cut it, then maybe gaming isn't doing it for you anymore.
Try a new hobby. This isn't me being snarky or condescending.
I'm practicing drawing and watecolors, thoroughly enjoying my time away from tech in general.

Madjaba

Not so long ago I realized that I could replay a game I liked a lot instead of forcing myself on playing newer games that don't click with me.

Gamechanger as I discover again great games or am playing newer but better picked games that really suit my taste.

Robb

Gold Member
Eh, there’s plenty of non-cinematic games around on non-Nintendo platforms. Especially indies. You don’t have to go for the cinematic AAA stuff just because you bought a Ps5/XSX.

That said I do agree that it’s hard to find comparable first party AAA stuff on those platforms. I would love more 3D platforming stuff like Astros Playroom from Sony.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Must say, I never really understood those who require a "good story" in video games. It's the weakest form of entertainment for such a thing. Movies, and especially books in particular are vastly superior in that aspect.
Gaming stories can be good, when they’re not too obvious like they’re made for kids.

I liked Scorn, it’s such an absurd and fascinating game and they leave you almost entirely to figure out on your own, and still leave you thinking when it ends. Don’t think it has a single spoken or written line of story.
Might not be worth full price though, too short, you’ll finish it over a weekend and there is no real point playing it more than once. But I’ll never forget it.

Same for me.

I can't stand most story-based AAA games anymore.

I loved these games during PS3 era when the modern cookie cutter formula got introduced by Sony, but now they just annoy the hell out of me. Every single cut scenes makes my blood boil.

It just feels awful when the dev takes control away from you for minutes in order to shove some cringe-level writing up your ass. Do you actually do something in the first hour of GOW Ragnarok besides watching cutscenes and walking around between scripted QTEs? I don't remember because there was nothing worth remembering except, of course, the usual highbrow manipulation tactics like the wolf scene.

Modern AAA games are boring, depressing, and humourless. Aloy for example is boring and humourless in an obnoxious way. And when people complain that they don't like her shallow character, the studio makes her face fatter and calls you mysogynistic.

As some users have already said: I'm leaning more and more towards Nintendo + PC. The PS5 is an outstanding video game console when it comes to user experience, but I just can't stand Sony's content strategy anymore.

I also don't care for graphics anymore. My PC is low to mid tier at best in terms of hardware.

All I want is to actually play something.
Agreed to everything in here. In my case, I also started to refuse gaming on Windows because of MS doings behind it. Doesn't make PC gaming easier, but it feels better knowing you're not monitored and recorded all the damn time.

cireza

OP you should play more third party games. What you are looking for exists and you don't have to resort to Nintendo, especially when their games have barely changed in 15 years.

Play some Shiren, Brigandine, Talos Principle, the Witness, Outer Wilds, Curse of the Moon 1&2, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4 etc... There is a world of fantastic games out there. And you won't get the best experience on Switch, by the way.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I mean PC is also not getting FFVIIRebirth day one.....so for me Switch and PS5 is the best option.

Edit: Also not all Vanillaware games available on switch like Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown.
But thats the thing, with both you'd also get access to the stuff that comes out on pc first and only later on switch/other consoles (if at all).

Who knows, you may even realize the true beauty of FPS games

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But thats the thing, with both you'd also get access to the stuff that comes out on pc first and only later on switch/other consoles (if at all).
I can’t buy every gaming systems and money is not the biggest issue, limited time is the bigger problem. I only have Switch and PS5 this gen and I still have a hard time keeping up with all the games coming out.

So I have to make a choice, which one has the games I personally enjoy the most and the answer was PS5 and Switch.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I can’t buy every gaming systems and money is not the biggest issue, limited time is the bigger problem. I only have Switch and PS5 this gen and I still have a hard time keeping up with all the games coming out.

So I have to make a choice, which one has the games I personally enjoy the most and the answer was PS5 and Switch.
Still, this is a thread about a guy on switch/ps5/XSX saying there aren't enough good games around. What we're showing him is that there's a whole world out there he's missing.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Is this another thread by someone who plays only Spider-Man and Gears of Wars etc. and then complain that gaming is dead?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This generation of consoles has definitely felt like the least value for money. I can definitely see me going PC and Nintendo next time around. What’s the fucking point in an Xbox, if it’s all on PC straightaway anyway, and what’s the point in a Playstation, if they’re pushing more GaaS crap, remastering three year old games, and putting everything out on PC a year later, anyway?

As it is, I mix up my hobbies these days, so only really game for seven or eight hours a week max.

It definitely ain’t what it used to be…

Hohenheim

You "gAmiNg iS bEttaR thAn EvR!" guys should look in the mirror, because recency bias is a bridge troll if nostalgia is a wicked wizard. Every time someone says they've had it with modern gaming fuckery, you guys over-react and say "ohhhh ur too oldz!" or "kwit gaeming" nonsense when we have a perfect right to complain after the $500 buy-in.

There will always be exceptions with amazing games I don't have to name, but is that good enough? No. You can't blame people for being despondent when it took two years to get this gen up to a point where it produced quality games. As others have already stated, some of us have huge backlogs of games and don't need to depend on drip-feeds and subscriptions and remakes of remasters in order to have a good time, and we also don't need to "leave gaming" or any other such nonsense as that.

When has this hobby ever been an all-in or all-out ultimatum?
Recency bias has nothing to do with this. And of course you're allowed to complain after a $500 buy-in, but I find the arguments for "giving up" on modern gaming very strange. 2023 has been an amazing year for gaming, with so much quality releases in almost every genre. From AAA to obscure indies.
But yeah, with the amazing libraries available these days you can of course be very satisfied with a never ending backlog forever.

I would take a break of 6 month or a year. After that if you are curious I would highly recommend steam deck and simple games.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Playstation and switch is a completely fine combo. You don't have to warrant that decision at all.

elmos-acc

Gaming is not a "weak form" of entertainment for storytelling. The games themselves tend to be weak. Maybe the issue is that the narrative has to justify endless combat encounters, level/mission pacing and gameplay mechanics?

It is frustrating though when you start a game and try to engage with the narrative quickly to realize that you'll be better of skipping dialogue/cutscenes. Instead of focusing on plot, games should focus on atmosphere, immersion, characters and world building.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Get a cheap old PC/Laptop. Play wholesome small studio games like Dwarf Fortress, Live for Speed, Nuclear Throne, Qvadriga, Legend of Grimrock, Luftrausers, Hotline Miami, FTL, Into the Breach, RVGL, MWLL, ...

Phase

I feel like most people are waaaaay too focus on AAA high budget exclusives but forgetting lot of great third party games, AA games and indie games.

This gen I'm all about 3rd party AA games, most of favourite games all time are AA.....gaming is not all about high budget graphics showcase games so you drool over pretty visuals.
Good points. There just aren't enough games on the switch I am interested in. In fact, I want to get a steam deck but I like a lot of older games in the crpg genre, and well, I can't imagine how crappy those would be to play on a handheld controller.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I guess we can expect you and others to continue to be Nintendo loyalists even if they miss 90% of the games and provide underpowered hardware.

This also isn't 2016. We have many better and far more compelling handhelds out now. The Nintendo name means something but to someone like me, hey provide the same experience with new costs of paint

My kids love it and just like many 4p local games I have on PC, we enjoy it

Does that make it the best platform? Not by a long shot.

Gaming is in a good place and it's not because of Nintendo. It's just a small part and they have their place.

Good luck and try and not get emotional.

Top Bottom