• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will be my last chance for gaming

MMaRsu

Banned
"I dindn't like PS5 and Xbox, and I bought the both consoles... Was not a good experience to me..."

Maybe get a PC instead and do on it what you want. Emulate older games, shit you missed.

Both the GameCube and the N64 lost Nintendo market share, but neither were "total disasters" and I don't understand what "tradition" has to do with any of it.

The Switch 2 could very well be less successful than the Switch, but that's not what you said in your original post.

"Lost market share", lol. That's quite the euphemismus for creating your own worst opponent, which doubled your previous hardware record, ditched you into a niche and took almost all your 3rd party supporters away for multiple decades.

3DS was also quite the miscalculation. They ultimately had the right damage control after its failed launch, but the damage is still apparent in the lifetime sales, which fell behind all their other handhelds.

Fbh

Tell me you only play western AAA console games without telling me you only play western AAA console games.

Must say, I never really understood those who require a "good story" in video games. It's the weakest form of entertainment for such a thing. Movies, and especially books in particular are vastly superior in that aspect.

As a whole games have worse stories than books and movies, sure.
But at least in the specific "action adventure" genre I think they've mostly overcome movies. Modern blockbuster movies are crap.
The characters and narrative in stuff like GOW Ragnarok, Alan Wake 2, RDR2, Baldur's Gate 3, TLOU1&2, Cyberpunk, FFXVI, A Plague Tale, etc absolutely destroy the average Blockbuster movie like MCU crap, F&F, Star Wars, Avatar, Top Gun, etc.

Like say what you want about the plot in Hogwarts Legacy but it sure was more engaging than these horrible Fantastic Beast movies. I'd argue even Guardians of the Galaxy had a more compelling plot and better writing than the vast majority of MCU movies.

What was the last properly great medieval fantasy movie ? or Sci Fi with some action that isn't a book adaptation like dune? Or hell even just an action movie with not just good action but a somewhat engaging plot?

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I do hope for some Nintendo games I actually care about again with the Switch successor. I miss being excited for something nintendo.

Well, as you all know I made some kind of controversial threads here...
Well, first! I'm so sorry about that...

So, I think my last chance will be Switch 2, because I've been waiting for a long time, to see a next gen 3D Mario and maybe a diferent art concept for Zelda...
Metroid 4 will be probably a good experience, bringing back all that Samus universe as well...
Maybe a new Donkey Kong 2D or 3D, and Mario Kart 9...

I dindn't like PS5 and Xbox, and I bought the both consoles... Was not a good experience to me...

I think I'm tired of cinematic games, or ultra realistic games at all...
I don't know if it's happening because I'm getting older and maybe less time to waste playing complex stories, you know?

So, today the games that I've been playing are almost like Fighting games, and some 3D plataform games...
I mean, Fighting games you can play literally forever... More gameplay, less politics, drama, complex stories...
Fighting games, complex stories.
My brother, I get that you don't like politics in muh gamez, but what are you on about?

You dont like the PS5/XBox? Those are just the consoles man.. that's like not liking a sandwich - just eat a different kind of sandwich!

Astral Dog

There will always be fun games on all consoles,but im not too interested in Microsoft and Sony offering this gen either,specially at that price

i buy two systems eventually but if Nintendo doesn't screw up,Switch 2 may be the only this time for me,because time and investment

Last edited:
Same here. Bought and sold my Series X AND ps5 two times now and am just done with gaming I think. The industry has gone in a direction that doesn't work for me so I'm going to peace out if Switch 2 doesn't hold my interest.
If you only play AAA games then sure. There are so many games out there that there is more than enough for you to fill up a massive backlog.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Help me lord but I'm seriously thinking of going Macbook (yes for some gaming*!!) + Switch 2 combo next year.

*needs more research but Crossover + Game Porting Tookit seems viable. I don't know what playing games would be like via Parallels running Windows ARM.
Just use GeForce now for Mac gaming it’s so much better. Or get an m2+ or newer Mac and enjoy native gaming with what games they have

blacktout

"Lost market share", lol. That's quite the euphemismus for creating your own worst opponent, which doubled your previous hardware record, ditched you into a niche and took almost all your 3rd party supporters away for multiple decades.

3DS was also quite the miscalculation. They ultimately had the right damage control after its failed launch, but the damage is still apparent in the lifetime sales, which fell behind all their other handhelds.

There's absolutely no rational world in which the 75+ million units that the 3DS sold qualifies as a "total disaster." If having a botched launch that you later recover from is a "total disaster," then the PS3 was a total disaster.

The N64 and GameCube weren't so much "total disasters" as the PS1 and PS2 were monumental successes. The N64 outsold the Genesis. The GameCube's sales were only slightly behind the OG Xbox. So, pretty mediocre, but if that's what counts as a "total disaster," then I think you need to create a new category for truly disastrous hardware like the Virtual Boy, Jaguar, and even the Dreamcast.

This obviously isn't to say that Nintendo's decision to scuttle their partnership with Sony wasn't a monumental mistake, but there's a difference between saying "in another hypothetical universe the Nintendo/Sony partnership would have dominated gaming" and "the N64, a system that was profitable and gave us some of the most influential and critically acclaimed games of all time, was a 'total disaster.'"

blacktout

N64 sold 30 mil, Genesis 35-40 mil.

Where are you getting 35-40 million for the Genesis? Google is giving me multiple sources with 30.75 million and some articles with a vague "over 30 million."

N64 is 32.93, which I assume are official numbers, since Nintendo provides exact hardware sales themselves.

Edit: Maybe 35-40 is counting the Genesis Mini? Or clone consoles? I know there's an absolutely massive market for Genesis clone consoles, especially in the developing world.

Last edited:
And the gamecube wasn‘t really a success either.
It's interesting, you know there are many ways of defining success.

I was just thinking about the thread title, and I knew someone once who really was in his 'last chance for gaming'. One of the last games he played was Metroid Prime. He loved it. He was able to finish it, and also Twilight Princess, Modern Warfare.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Where are you getting 35-40 million for the Genesis? Google is giving me multiple sources with 30.75 million and some articles with a vague "over 30 million."

N64 is 32.93, which I assume are official numbers, since Nintendo provides exact hardware sales themselves.
this page

8GiW6NT.png

Wikipedia cites 30.75 million, besides that when I had looked up sources for the system it gives around 35 to 40. I'm not a major researcher and i could be easily wrong here

blacktout

this page

8GiW6NT.png

Wikipedia cites 30.75 million, besides that when I had looked up sources for the system it gives around 35 to 40. I'm not a major researcher and i could be easily wrong here

Ohhh, I see. I bet Sega hasn't offered an official number in a while, so we have a bunch of rough estimate.

I guess the fairest thing to say is that the N64 and Genesis ended up in roughly the same ballpark.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ohhh, I see. I bet Sega hasn't offered an official number in a while, so we have a bunch of rough estimate.

I guess the fairest thing to say is that the N64 and Genesis ended up in roughly the same ballpark.
You also have to consider that it wasn't until Playstation that game console sales started going up to 100 million, so can you really classify N64 as a failure when the gaming market was smaller as a whole??? Before the release of that system 50 million was considered a major success.

Same for GC and Xbox, PS2 just had insane levels of domination. That's not a failure on the part of Xbox or Nintendo, that was just the size of the market at the time.

BootsLoader

Banned
Play games just to have a good time, don’t put too much into it. I still don’t feel like buying a PS5 or XBOX, I don’t see the value so far. I will wait to see what will happen with switch 2.
Sometimes I’m playing RTS games on my laptop and thats all.
Last time I had a blast with a game (meaning, playing every day until I finish it) was with Death Stranding, since then nothing really clicked on me.
Im waiting for the next game or console that will get me excited.

There's absolutely no rational world in which the 75+ million units that the 3DS sold qualifies as a "total disaster." If having a botched launch that you later recover from is a "total disaster," then the PS3 was a total disaster.

The N64 and GameCube weren't so much "total disasters" as the PS1 and PS2 were monumental successes. The N64 outsold the Genesis. The GameCube's sales were only slightly behind the OG Xbox. So, pretty mediocre, but if that's what counts as a "total disaster," then I think you need to create a new category for truly disastrous hardware like the Virtual Boy, Jaguar, and even the Dreamcast.

This obviously isn't to say that Nintendo's decision to scuttle their partnership with Sony wasn't a monumental mistake, but there's a difference between saying "in another hypothetical universe the Nintendo/Sony partnership would have dominated gaming" and "the N64, a system that was profitable and gave us some of the most influential and critically acclaimed games of all time, was a 'total disaster.'"

You also have to consider that it wasn't until Playstation that game console sales started going up to 100 million, so can you really classify N64 as a failure when the gaming market was smaller as a whole??? Before the release of that system 50 million was considered a major success.

Same for GC and Xbox, PS2 just had insane levels of domination. That's not a failure on the part of Xbox or Nintendo, that was just the size of the market at the time.
revisionist sugarcoating...
The reason Playstation even exists is because Yamauchi was acting like a stubborn oligarch. Nintendo WAS the home console industry, but because of their complete miscalculation of their own standing, they were beaten into a niche and lost all support (except a few scraps like Quest 64) for multiple generations. In fact, I'd say it took them until the Switch to truly clean up that N64 mess. Iwata said that Gamecube was a failure and they couldn't continue like that at the end of it. If that's not a disaster, I don't know what is. The handheld market saved them.
BRLq8YV.png

(pic is all I could find, since all the old links to that news seem dead)

As for 3ds, I didn't say disaster, I'm not the original poster. However, it shows that they keep making severe mistakes even after a high. Losing half your audience (DS->3DS) is a fuckup. PSP was always deemed a failure by Nintenboys, yet 3DS was about on the same level. Reggie recently said that Nintendo would've been toast if Switch didn't break though. Obviously pointing at the WiiU, but if 3DS was as successful as their marketing tried to paint it, I don't think he would have said that.

Anyway, I don't even think Switch 2 will fail. Current Nintendo is too conservative for that. It's gonna be a safe successor with safe games that the OP demands. In fact, that's what makes this console warring "oh no cinematic games everywhere" take even more ridiculous. The best thing you hope for is Mario Kart NINE and the rosiest thing you can think of is a Donkey Kong game? lol. I actually wish Nintendo would be in a failing state like Gamecube again, where they tried all these crazy new IPs and revamps of their old formulas instead of just the predictable mascot games.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm with you partly, OP -- particularly about the AAA space feeling uninspired and disinterest in the "movie game" approach -- except that I've never been a big Nintendo fan, so I'm not really looking to Switch 2 as any sort of "last chance." I've had some success (in rekindling my enjoyment) by playing older games. Not too much older, just a couple generations back. Like you, I've tried to find indies that I like, but it usually feels like looking for a needle in a haystack. I can see the merit in PC gaming, but the hassle factor has always put me off. I'm a console gamer, for better or worse. I could get a Steamdeck, I suppose. Maybe I will someday.

Ultimately, you should only play videogames if you are enjoying them. I know that sounds obvious, but a lot of people (including me, at times) try to stick with gaming even when they aren't enjoying it anymore. Rather than keep trying to find enjoyment in something you aren't enjoying, I think it's better to go do something else -- something you do enjoy. We have so many entertainment options in the modern world, don't waste your time playing games if you aren't enjoying them. Personally, I like reading books and watching other media content more than playing most games. Gaming is still a hobby, but it's dropped down the list over time.

blacktout

As for 3ds, I didn't say disaster.

Then why did you quote me? My entire argument was specifically about the use of the phrase "total disaster," which implies more than just mediocre performance or failure relative to past success.

I think people on forums like this love to use hyperbole to describe suboptimal outcomes. In my mind, a "total disaster" is a product that completely floundered (like the Virtual Boy or Wii U) or that even drives its manufacturer out of the console business (like the Jaguar or CD-i). Like, would you say that the Master System or PC Engine were "total disasters"? I certainly wouldn't, because even though they flopped in a lot of the world, they were quite strong in select regions. I'd even argue that the Saturn wasn't, since it was a moderate success in Japan, though I certainly wouldn't fight someone who thought it was.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
revisionist sugarcoating...
The reason Playstation even exists is because Yamauchi was acting like a stubborn oligarch. Nintendo WAS the home console industry, but because of their complete miscalculation of their own standing, they were beaten into a niche and lost all support (except a few scraps like Quest 64) for multiple generations. In fact, I'd say it took them until the Switch to truly clean up that N64 mess. Iwata said that Gamecube was a failure and they couldn't continue like that at the end of it. If that's not a disaster, I don't know what is. The handheld market saved them.
BRLq8YV.png

(pic is all I could find, since all the old links to that news seem dead)

As for 3ds, I didn't say disaster, I'm not the original poster. However, it shows that they keep making severe mistakes even after a high. Losing half your audience (DS->3DS) is a fuckup. PSP was always deemed a failure by Nintenboys, yet 3DS was about on the same level. Reggie recently said that Nintendo would've been toast if Switch didn't break though. Obviously pointing at the WiiU, but if 3DS was as successful as their marketing tried to paint it, I don't think he would have said that.

Anyway, I don't even think Switch 2 will fail. Current Nintendo is too conservative for that. It's gonna be a safe successor with safe games that the OP demands. In fact, that's what makes this console warring "oh no cinematic games everywhere" take even more ridiculous. The best thing you hope for is Mario Kart NINE and the rosiest thing you can think of is a Donkey Kong game? lol. I actually wish Nintendo would be in a failing state like Gamecube again, where they tried all these crazy new IPs and revamps of their old formulas instead of just the predictable mascot games.
We don't know what Nintendo will do yet. The reason why their record isn't consistent is because they take risks. I personally believe they should go safe for Switch 2. Knowing them as I do however, I strongly believe they will NOT do that. So lets wait until we get to see what the system is like before we make up our minds. It shouldn't be too long now..

Last edited:
Top Bottom