• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Activity First Month Thread of Hoping we get a real Activity Log

BooJoh

Switch's activity logging leaves something to be desired on both fronts, but I thought people might like to share what their first month with the system looks like.

I'm using a combination of the Profile screen and the Parental Controls monthly summary, without getting too in-depth.

pkRjUmf.png

4TCA6jd.png

Most played based on Monthly Summary:

1. Zelda: BotW - 20 Days
2. VOEZ - 5 Days
3. SnipperClips - 5 Days
4. Human Resource Machine - 4 Days
5. FAST RMX - 4 Days
6. Snake Pass - 3 Days
7. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - 3 Days

_______

Rather than just sharing your own stats, I'd like to discuss how people would like to see the activity log(s) improved.

My first and biggest complaint is the 5-hour increments on the system's Profile activity log. I'd prefer to see playtime at least to the hour, if not the minute. I'd also like to see the ability to sort based on Most Played in addition to Last Played. Add a monthly filter and I wouldn't need the Parental Controls app at all.

Overall I feel like despite having essentially two Activity Logs, neither one is good enough, and they're just shy of being good enough when combined. 3DS's Activity Log naturally puts these to shame.

mdubs

Banned
I really hope that they put into a 3ds style one. I've always love that the 3ds is so precise about keeping track of game times. The Xbox One seems to be off frequently which bothers me, so I hope that the Switch logs the data locally which it seems to

Everyone's will be:

Zelda - 80+ hours
Everything else - a couple of minutes

This is also me

hatchx

Banned
I really hope that they put into a 3ds style one. I've always love that the 3ds is so precise about keeping track of game times. The Xbox One seems to be off frequently which bothers me, so I hope that the Switch logs the data locally which it seems to

Agree with you and OP here. It's such a cool feature and I hope Nintendo updates/patches it in the OS.

Cuburt

There are some games I got that I really want to dig into, but my time has been consumed by Zelda.

She has been greedy with my time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Zelda - "55 hours or more"

What a shit system.

trixx

30-35 hours of Zelda
couple minutes of misc (Bomberman and 1-2 switch belong to a friend)
Splatoon demo
Snipperclips demo

they just need to make it exactly like the wii u activity log. Copy that and that's it.

trixx

The entire OS is far too simple, hopefully they have a team dedicated to it to flesh it out. Maintain speed but add some more stuff

EDarkness

The entire OS is far too simple, hopefully they have a team dedicated to it to flesh it out. Maintain speed but add some more stuff

I find comments like this funny because people had been asking for them to make a simple OS for a long time. They finally do it, and now people are complaining about it. They can't really win.

BooJoh

I find comments like this funny because people had been asking for them to make a simple OS for a long time. They finally do it, and now people are complaining about it. They can't really win.

Likely different people. Personally I'd prefer something more akin to 3DS's OS with themes and menu music, multiple icon rows, etc. Not a big fan of Switch's minimalist OS, though themes with backgrounds (and maybe music) could go a long way toward fixing that.

EDarkness

Likely different people. Personally I'd prefer something more akin to 3DS's OS with themes and menu music, multiple icon rows, etc. Not a big fan of Switch's minimalist OS, though themes with backgrounds (and maybe music) could go a long way toward fixing that.

Of course. It was a pretty common complaint against Nintendo systems, though. Honestly, I'd like to have music and themes back.

Data isn't showing yet for Splatoon 2 Global Testfire and Human Resource Machine, but I can tell you that both of them are at the 5-hour mark, with the latter perhaps a little over (but still under 10).

I'm reluctant to post my Zelda hours unless I see someone else post a higher number first, as even on a die-hard forum like this one where others progressed far ahead of my pace and have seemingly been playing full-time, I cannot say with confidence that my count will be topped.

I am glad the internal data is there in case an Activity Log is ever implemented, but that it's specifically there now for display to your friends, and can be cleared at any time from your friend settings, makes me wonder how amenable it is to incorporation in a future app. A 5-hour rounding is not sufficient precision for anything under, oh, 20 hours.

MoonFrog

Data isn't showing yet for Splatoon 2 Global Testfire and Human Resource Machine, but I can tell you that both of them are at the 5-hour mark, with the latter perhaps a little over (but still under 10).

I'm reluctant to post my Zelda hours unless I see someone else post a higher number first, as even on a die-hard forum like this one where others progressed far ahead of my pace and have seemingly been playing full-time, I cannot say with confidence that my count will be topped.

I am glad the internal data is there in case an Activity Log is ever implemented, but that it's specifically there now for display to your friends, and can be cleared at any time from your friend settings, makes me wonder how amenable it is to incorporation in a future app. A 5-hour rounding is not sufficient precision for anything under, oh, 20 hours.

If it makes you feel better those 130 hours I mentioned above are exclusively over a 9 day period. Or 60% of that 9 day period.

KraytarJ

Mine is:
Breath of the Wild: Played for 80 hours or more
Splatoon 2 Global Testfire: First played 7 days ago
Shovel Knight: Played for a few minutes

I'm not sure why the activity log keeps getting worse on successive Nintendo systems, honestly just make the Switch's version more like what the 3DS has and I'll be good with that.

ChrisD

Splatoon 2 Global Testfire -- 5 Hours or more
Zelda Breath of the Wild -- 40 Hours or more
Snipperclips -- A few minutes
1-2-Switch -- A few minutes

This "Activity Log" sucks.

EDarkness

Damn, man. You have over 125 hours so far?

zenspider

I think adding thr bells and whistles via themes is a great compromise. I love the OS personally. It's slick, elegant and makes my PS4 menus feel like a Pentium running Windows Vista.

The Activity log is an app, no UI or OS, so I hope that's something in the future because the parental app and profile isn't cutting it.

Also, my Blaster Master says "a few minutes" but the in-game clock is at 1:20+. What gives? Anybody else have experience weirdness?

I'm at 115 or more in Zelda, and that's with a full time job! Human Resource Machine in second, but details are not available yet (ugh).

I find the portability helps me find the time, and not being relegated to a handheld library means we really have left "the handheld ghetto" haha.

Dryk

I still can't figure out how they dropped the ball on the Switch Activity Log after nailing it twice in a row

Kudo

What's the problem people have with the activity log? I haven't seen the 3DS one so I cannot compare but I'm just happy that they even record the playtime for all games.

Mine is 90+ hours of Zelda and "few minutes" of Splatoon 2 Testfire.

JakeD

Well I was hoping the monthly summary would be more of an actual play log but oh well. Still prefer an ultra simple OS to the slow monstrosities that my PS4 and xbone have become.

Wii U level functionality would be a nice middle ground though, lol.

Zelda 100+
Snipper more then an hour
Fast RMX couple of minutes

Mrbob

I finished all three Shovel Knight games so my playtime lists over 15 hours. However in game keeps track of play time and it's at just over 16. I'm now into Zelda and currently over 30 hours.

NimbusD

Really? Who? Their oses have always been simple. The problem was that the Wii u was insanely slow, not complicated.

Literally no one was begging for them to remove functionality like activity charts, miiverse, streetpass, etc. No one.

When does it say hours played? I've had it for a couple of days and it still doesn't say it

I miss the 3DS activity log and the graphs

BooJoh

What's the problem people have with the activity log? I haven't seen the 3DS one so I cannot compare but I'm just happy that they even record the playtime for all games.

Ih4vG.jpg

3DS not only shows hours and minutes for all games, but also shows number of times booted, first day booted, last day booted, average playtime, and allows you to view by day, week, month, year, or all-time, and sort by playtime, last played, first played, play frequency, or average time played. It also shows how many titles you've played and total playtime across all titles for the day, week, month, or year. You can view all this as a list or a graph (even seeing hourly activity for a given day in graph form.) In addition to all this it tracks your steps too. It's amazingly in-depth even compared to what Wii U has.

When does it say hours played? I've had it for a couple of days and it still doesn't say it

Once your "first played" time gets to 10 days it shows playtime (in 5-hour increments) instead.

I really find comments like this funny because you obviously know exactly what people mean by simplifying an os. Don't play stupid for the sake of contradiction.

Simple as in what the os currently is, but expanded upon with in-depth features. People want a clean os that's fast and snappy and has fully-cooked features. Not some icons with nothing to do or look at and half-baked timekeeping.

Madao

since they track time played internally, they should have something that's at least on par with what the Wii U one did minimum. the excuse we have right now is pathetic.

3DS one would be ideal. in fact, the 3DS activity log stopped me from double dipping on many DS games on Wii U VC because the 3DS tracks stats much better than the Wii U (also because no button remapping sucks for DS games but that's a different subject)

trixx

I think it takes about a week or a certain amount of hours until it displays your playtime on your profile

Zelda is 55 hours or more.
Bomberman, FAST, Binding of Isaac are all 10 or more.
Voez, World of Goo and Blaster Master Zero are all 5 or more.

Everything else (Snake Pass, Has Been Heroes, Metal Slugs, Neo Turf Masters) I either haven't owned long enough to track or is at less than 5 hours.

ncslamm

All I've played so far is Zelda at 50 hours. Almost halfway...almost. I own Bomberman and Isaac but I haven't taken them out of the case yet.

Zafir

• Doesn't track exactly(5 hour increments it seems)...
  • Slightly connected to the above point, but I've a load of games I've played a few hours on and it says I've only played them for a few minutes... So it's either bugged, or it doesn't even bother to do smaller than 5 hour increments even with smaller playtimes.
  • Takes 10 days to start tracking.
  • Doesn't break down playtime by day like the previous consoles did.
  • People said there's a limit to how many can be listed.

purg3

slept with Malkin
50+ hours of Zelda. Really missing the activity log that the 3DS had. Hopefully it will be fleshed out in a future OS update.

Hindl

Zelda 70+ hours
Puyo Puyo Tetris Japanese Demo 5 hours
Neo Turf Masters 5 hours
Metal Slug 3 1 hour

Jobbs

Banned
Everyone's will be:

Zelda - 80+ hours
Everything else - a couple of minutes

Basically. I played Zelda and haven't touched it since.

If there was some version of the miiverse and the ability to like.. do shit.. on Switch I probably would check in. But as it is it's just so shockingly limited I have no reason whatsoever to turn it on.

mstevens

Zelda 60+
Binding of Isaac 25+
Shovel Knight 5+

everything else (Metal Slug, Snipperclips, Fast RMX) less than 5 hours.

I really hope they expand on this in the future.. the system is obviously tracking data, so I have my hopes up.

Top Bottom