• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch may support old controllers with an update

KHlover

Banned
I could write a book on why more options can be a bad thing, but amazon already has too many options available on that topic
Not for Smash Bros tho. You need every controller you can get for 8 player smash and some people actually like other controllers more than the GCN one for Smash, so Smash U supporting every controller under the sun is a godsent.

The WiiU's controller situation was a mess because each game was compatible with an unclear subset of controllers, and certain games made use of the Wii controllers over the WiiU's.

The way I see it, the Switch sidesteps this issue entirely with the Joycons themselves. They should realistically support any game, Just Dance, or Mario Kart, or etc.

Further controllers like the WiiU Pro Controller or the Wii Remote should be supported at a system level if the game doesn't require advanced motion detection or the NFC / Accelerometer in the Pro Controller.

The controllers shouldn't really even be advertised as compatible, the whole situation would just be a gesture of goodwill from Nintendo to WiiU buyers who are in the know.

The GP is happy with using the Joycons for everything, and the more hardcore knowledgeable buyers have an easier purchase knowing that their controllers will be supported.

GameCube Compatibility should remain for VC and Smash Bros, that isn't a problem in any way.

CDX

I honestly think they'll just focus on different style Joycons, and other unique control methods that slide onto the Switch. Rather than make old controllers compatible.

But I'm convinced the USB GameCube Controller Adapter will happen around the time Smash is released. We might also get Gamecub VC around then too, but I'm not getting my hopes up for GC VC.

I also doubt we'll get Wiimotes, because the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar.

Oh god no. Why would you want to use that monstrosity? All the Switch controllers have motion controls.

To be fair, the WiiU Gamepad has motion controls as well. It's bulkier and in one piece vs. the Joy Cons, but it can still work for Splatoon, it's done well for Splatoon since its release

atr0cious

Oh god no. Why would you want to use that monstrosity? All the Switch controllers have motion controls.
I'm hoping they add backwards compatibility for the wii u gamepad and put the map on the screen. I love how the gamepad feels, especially for gyro controls, its the perfect width, something i find lacking in the steam controller.

Wii U Pro Controller for VC or Wii U ports would be nice, since I already own one.

But I'm sure the Switch Pro Controller is fine and dandy.

Gamecube adapter for sure...basically because Smash.

Exactly. The GCN controller and adapter should absolutely be supported on the Switch. Hell, going one step further and additionally releasing GCN Joycons would be pretty sweet. This would take care of Smash and Virtual Console games.

The Switch Pro Controller and Joycons have superseded the Wii U Pro Controller, Wiimote and the horrible Gamepad so I don't think there is any need to support them.

Really tired of this "with an update" or "support at launch" crap. Without any solid info regarding plans or a straight up announcement of these features, it means nothing.

The Switch may support Bluetooth headphones with an update. See how easy it is? They could say this for a number of blatantly missing features.

Somewhat off topic but I didn't want to bump older threads. If one missed out on pre-ordering a Switch when would be the best time to order from eBay? Now or after March 3?

Currently, it seems like eBay scalpers are having trouble selling their Switches, as they can be had for a fair value. Should I get it now or will scalpers raise these prices once it has been released?

Why wouldn't you just try to get one from a store on day 1? If you can't get one for MSRP then look on ebay.

StayDead

Pretty sure he's exclusively referring to the gamecube controller adapter.

At least I hope so. I'de rather it be a single cohesive experience rather than needing 4 different controllers to get the best experience across different games. I don't want to re-experience the nightmare that was Smash Bros WiiU control options.

Why is that a nightmare? If anything it was perfect for me as it meant I had enough controllers for everyone to play!

Malakai

The WiiU's controller situation was a mess because each game was compatible with an unclear subset of controllers, and certain games made use of the Wii controllers over the WiiU's.

The way I see it, the Switch sidesteps this issue entirely with the Joycons themselves. They should realistically support any game, Just Dance, or Mario Kart, or etc.

Further controllers like the WiiU Pro Controller or the Wii Remote should be supported at a system level if the game doesn't require advanced motion detection or the NFC / Accelerometer in the Pro Controller.

The controllers shouldn't really even be advertised as compatible, the whole situation would just be a gesture of goodwill from Nintendo to WiiU buyers who are in the know.

The GP is happy with using the Joycons for everything, and the more hardcore knowledgeable buyers have an easier purchase knowing that their controllers will be supported.

GameCube Compatibility should remain for VC and Smash Bros, that isn't a problem in any way.

That is a load of crap. On the back of the Wii U game box there is a pictograph of which controller is compatible with each game.

deleted

I hope they will not touch Wiimote and Pro Controller support!

It was a mess during the Wii U era. Bought a Pro Controller on launch, not even games like NSMBU supported it. And ongoing Wiimote support limited games to 2 button configs and a bad d-pad.

GCN controller support is hopefully coming, since Smash is surely coming too. The rest of the legacy controllers are legacy controllers for a reason. Everything about the known Switch controllers already seem way better!

That is a load of crap. On the back of the Wii U game box there is a pictograph of which controller is compatible with each game.

Don't play the issue down. Games that should support the Pro Controller didn't for stupid reasons. Nobody would guess that a game like NSMBU wouldn't support the controller on launch. No good reason why some Nintendoland games wouldn't support the controller. If I wanted to play local MP games on Wii U, I would have to make sure that I have Wiimotes charged and Pro Controllers on hand depending on what game the group wanted to play.

Legacy support for these controllers would only add confusion and Nintendo would most likely limit controller functionality to the lowest common nominator like the did during Wii and Wii U times. 8 way 3D Mario, Wiimote 2,5D Metroid, 2 button 3D Mario... I hated that stuff. The Joy Con is a move in the right direction for Nintendo.

Legacy support for these controllers would only add confusion and Nintendo would most likely limit controller functionality to the lowest common nominator like the did during Wii and Wii U times. 8 way 3D Mario, Wiimote 2,5D Metroid, 2 button 3D Mario... I hated that stuff. The Joy Con is a move in the right direction for Nintendo.

Um, so release the update so people can use their Wii U Pro Controllers, but don't advertise it to the public? Just help out people who know what they're doing. For the plebs, ignorance is bliss.

Ninferno

Support the WiiU Pro controller for god sake! Just disable the motion control elements if the game has any so that while you need the Switch controllers to get the "full" experience, you can still play the game with it in some fashion.

That would make it a lot more palatable on initial purchase, the controller prices for a new console are always quite a hit to the wallet. Something like breath of the wild or mk8 deluxe could have Wii u pro controller support without compromising much.

deleted

Um, so release the update so people can use their Wii U Pro Controllers, but don't advertise it to the public? Just help out people who know what they're doing. For the plebs, ignorance is bliss.

That's not the way they play it unfortunately. If they add support for a controller that doesn't support the normal/standard feature set, they either won't do it or limit the support.

Wii: First CC had analog buttons. Not a game that I know of used them.

Wii U: Games that supported both kinds of controller were still limited. Mario 3D World - 8 way and 2 buttons. Local MP was a mess because the run buttons is also the grab button. And we got a 3D Mario that was a step back because they build control around a small d-pad.
That kind of control scheme limitation shows in a lot of Wii and Wii U games. I will dread the moment, this limitation becomes a standard in Switch games. Now they have a standard 6 buttons and 1 analog stick + motion minimum. That is a huge upgrade.

Not every developer is Sakurai, who builds his game around the optimal controller and then adapts the game for the other ones. And he still dropped analog shoulder buttons.

Skux

Not gonna happen given how much money they can make on peripherals. It would be like Apple giving dongles away for free.

Smash will never escape that goddamn Gamecube controller, will it?

No, because the GameCube controller is by far the best and most preferred setup for Smash Bros. It's just so natural for it.

To me, playing Smash with a Pro controller or Classic controller is like playing a traditional fighting game with a Dualshock or an Xbox One controller or something. Sure, it works, but a proper fighting game stick works better. Same thing with Smash and the GCN controller.

klaushm

I hate when people break patterns.
OP, it should have been "Switch won't support old controlers at launch" sigh
/jk

On topic
"Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update"

To me, this sounds like a lot of ifs and "We are not even looking for it right now.".

I don't see anything wrong with that. They are focusing on the device ABS If everything goes as they plan and it becomes a highly requests "feature" it could be considered and maybe done.

I think they are doing the same strategy for Web Browsers and Netflix, tho I think those are more important than supporting old controllers and align better with their said strategy.

They said that one of their objectives of launching mobile games is to take the advantage of the synergy of that franchise. People who play Mario Run would buy other Mario products.

So, I think that holding a user to a platform, not forcing, just giving the option to use their normal services, makes the final user to spend more in that platform.

That said, I think they are working to deliver an MVP(minimum viable products) of Switch to see what will be the reception, but to me it really looks like a bare to bones focused on games device with real promises to become better.

Pretty sure he's exclusively referring to the gamecube controller adapter.

At least I hope so. I'de rather it be a single cohesive experience rather than needing 4 different controllers to get the best experience across different games. I don't want to re-experience the nightmare that was Smash Bros WiiU control options.
Nightmare? "Anything you've got will work" is pretty easy to live with. Of course that can only work well for things that are relatively retro in controls like Smash or VC.

Skeletos311

On topic
"Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update"

To me, this sounds like a lot of ifs and "We are not even looking for it right now.".

He was asked about Switch being powerful enough to emulate Wii U and he starts talking about controllers for other systems and future updates to enable them on Switch. It's 100% happening. :p

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'd be much more likely to buy it if it supported the Wii U Pro Controllers. I live with two other people, the investment to get us all able to play would be ludicrous. I only got the Wii U last year too, which was already more expensive than I'd have liked.

bomblord1

Banned
Nightmare? "Anything you've got will work" is pretty easy to live with. Of course that can only work well for things that are relatively retro in controls like Smash or VC.

In my experience. People who were newer or didn't know the controls I couldn't explain it to them when they picked up one of my non-preferred control schemes because there was no way I could memorize all of them.

It often forced me to use a controller I wasn't comfortable with when with a group and we didn't have all of the same controller.

Too many options often breeds indifference which could actually prevent me and others from picking up the game at all and go for something with a more cohesive experience even if it meant taking turns.

Several times I was playing where one person was at a disadvantage because of the control scheme they were stuck with.

Top Bottom