• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch may support old controllers with an update

deleted

WiiU Pro controllers should be supported. I see no good reason why not.
Except to sell more controllers...

No Gyro, no HD rumble.

I love the controller and I use it for Wii U and PC local MP gaming relatively often, but it's time has come and gone.

Edit: They present the Pro Controller to be fully functional in games like Splatoon 2 e.g. - having a different Pro Controller with a different layout that doesn't have full compability would only confuse everyone.

TannerDemoz

I can't see it supporting the Wii U screen - wouldn't that mean they'd need to continue making them?

They re-issued gamecube controllers post-Wii U.

You can't expect people just to go out and buy stuff second hand

Shaanyboi

Banned
No Gyro, no HD rumble.

I love the controller and I use it for Wii U and PC local MP gaming relatively often, but it's time has come and gone.

Edit: They present the Pro Controller to be fully functional in games like Splatoon 2 e.g. - having a different Pro Controller with a different layout that doesn't have full compability would only confuse everyone.

Forgot about the gyro. But at the same time, most games allow you to turn it off (ex. Splatoon). I'm hard pressed to see any games forcing the need for it.

And we still have yet to see HD rumble used in any meaningful capacity.

EDIT: in response to your edit, It's not like they'd necessarily have to keep selling WiiU Pro Controllers. Hell, it's not even functionality they'd have to advertise in any major way. But included support would certainly garner some good will, especially considering the ridiculous costs of additional controllers as is.

epicnemesis

I could see them updating it so they can put every system on the VC. I don't think you will see Wii Us pro controller compatible with any Switch games though. The only exception being GC controller support in Smash.

So you could in theory do Wii VC support with a wireless sensor bar, GC VC with the adapter, MAAAAYYYYYBE Wii U VC/ports with gamepad support. That would be awesome if they pulled it off.

Steph_E.

..On the back of the Wii U game box there is a pictograph of which controller is compatible with each game.

That does not mean you can use whatever controller is listed there whenever you want to.

For example, have you ever played Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics with 4 players? Despite using a Wii remote for most events, in certain events player 1 is forced to use the gamepad. And when he is forced into using the gamepad, the other players may have to swap Wii remotes around so player 2 then has to use Wii remote 1 etc

At times it can be totally confusing trying to figure out who has to use what controller.

I'm always surprised that people feel so strongly about the Wii U pro controller being supported. It's a new generation, other manufacturers didn't allow old controllers when even fewer differences exist. Like why can't I use my PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers on PS4 and Xbone. The Wii to Wii U generation kind of spoiled people I guess.

ramparter

Banned
Hopefully it will be the case for the Gamecube adapter. They should also release a N64 adapter and reissue N64 gamepads with better sticks and probably more compact design.

BriGuy

That would be great if it worked with Wii U pro controllers. Functionally, they're probably not that different from the Switch controllers other than maybe the rumble.

Cleve

The Wii U controller being usable would be amazing. Would make Splatoon 2 a lot better for sure.

What? How?

All the switch controllers support gyro aiming if that's your concern, and teleportation to teammates is easily mapped to a button press.

That would be great if it worked with Wii U pro controllers. Functionally, they're probably not that different from the Switch controllers other than maybe the rumble.

No gyro in the wii u pro controller. I prefer right analog aiming, but gyro aim was hugely popular for it.

No Gyro, no HD rumble.

The hori switch pad has no gyro and no hd rumble

The only one of those I can see happening is the gcn controller adapter, but that would go against the whole point of the Switch being so easily portable. Probably why it's merely under consideration.

But with the Switch triggers being digital, I dont see how GCN Virtual Console is gonna be possible. What a shame...

I'd think that Wii-U games would definitely have to be "enhanced" ports that do away with the Gamepad functionality, but Wii games could definitely work! They already make USB sensor bars and to my knowledge, the Switch has bluetooth support which would work for the controllers. I haven't checked the dimensions yet, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for DS/3DS games to work at their native resolutions either.

Make it happen Nintendo. I want the new "Virtual Console" to have games from NES to Wii.

deleted

Forgot about the gyro. But at the same time, most games allow you to turn it off (ex. Splatoon). I'm hard pressed to see any games forcing the need for it.

And we still have yet to see HD rumble used in any meaningful capacity.

EDIT: in response to your edit, It's not like they'd necessarily have to keep selling WiiU Pro Controllers. Hell, it's not even functionality they'd have to advertise in any major way. But included support would certainly garner some good will, especially considering the ridiculous costs of additional controllers as is.

I guess you're right, but that won't happen in the same way, PS3 controllers aren't compatible with the PS4.

They won't do it at launch to avoid confusion. Later on, they hopefully won't need the goodwill anymore because the system sells and maybe the pro controller costs went down by 10$ (see: Wii U Pro Controller and PS4 Controller)

The hori switch pad has no gyro and no hd rumble

That's a 3rd party controller though. Different expectations and all that.
(it also has no D-Pad :( )

Branduil

I wouldn't really expect support for anything except the Gamecube controllers. Maybe Wii remotes if they get a Wii VC running.

Vuze

I'm definitely not paying 70 bucks for their new "Pro" controller, so an option to use the WiiU Pro would be very welcome. Couldn't care less about 'HD' rumble and gyro for the games I hope to play on the Switch.

koss424

I'm definitely not paying 70 bucks for their new "Pro" controller, so an option to use the WiiU Pro would be very welcome. Couldn't care less about 'HD' rumble and gyro for the games I hope to play on the Switch.

considering Nintendo is designing their games around these features, you may be disappointed.

deleted

It's funny though, you can Remote Play PS4 games on a PSTV using a PS3 controller. Sony so backwards!

Never said they were backwards, it's just the way it is. PS1/PS2 and Wii/Wii U are a huge exception from the norm.

PS3 controller was the normally used controller for the PSTV. It was even sold with the system. Different case.

rekameohs

Banned
Now I'm curious... Can you send me the pictures in a PM?
img_1029.jpg

Posted on 4chan the day before the NX / Switch reveal.

Skeletos311

Nintendo started making "Classic" controllers with no motion or rumble on Wii, a system that was all about motion controls. Classic controllers are for different games. I need support for my arcade sticks.

Can you imagine a Bomberman party where a mix of Wii Remotes and JoyCons were the only controller choices?

The JoyCons are always getting picked last.

ThEoRy...

Why do people want the Gamecube controller so bad? That thing was horrid for Soul Calibur. I understand that's not what it was designed for but seriously what were Nintendo thinking?

As for adding support for legacy controllers, why would Nintendo do this when they can just sell you new ones?

One problem I have with the Gamecube adapter is that it wouldn't really work in handheld mode. Which is why I'm kinda hoping they also release some WaveBird shaped JoyCons. Something like this:

CvPCBHOVYAApVqv.png

It may look and sound silly, but I'd actually love to have these when playing Smash Bros. on the go, as well as GCN Virtual Console games if those happen.

loooot of maybes with the switch so far

will it get netflix?
will it get a browser?
will it get 3rd party support?
will it support old controllers?

cd5060bdac1d4eab166c0f31f600e1e3.gif

Top Bottom