• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

Nameless

Love my Switch, but just because there's more overlap between PS4 and PC doesn't change the fact that PS4 still features a much larger and diverse line-up of games not available on PC than the Switch does. The question is which line-up would you miss more. Switch offers the option of portability, while PS4 will give you more flexibility and options in finding active multiplayer communities.

I'd go with PS4 just because if you care at all about console gaming it's always a good idea to own the lead.

silva1991

To be honest I think those using first year of Switch as any indicative is out of their minds.
Switch is benefiting from WiiU failure.
Ninty unplugged WiiU, moved all games to Switch, delayed games to Switch and used WiiU already launched games as part of Switch line up.
Dont get me wrong here. I think Switch is having a nice start.
But dropping your previously plataform soon like N did has put them in a very comfortable position.
I still wanna see what they are going to do when the last remasters ( like SSB or possibly Bayo ) and moved projects ( like next Pikmin ) are over.

Not announcing big consoles games for the WiiU for two years helped alot with Switch announcements this year

Star Fox Zero was literally the only big(if I can call it big) announcement for the Wii U in 2015 iirc.

ps4 and pc have a ton of overlap and the games run better on PC

my ps4 is a dust collector

This is such a weird argument to make in favour of the Switch.

The reason the PS4 and PC have a ton of overlap is because the PS4 is getting support from all sides. If the Switch had that same overlap then Switch owners would be creaming themselves.

It doesn't change the fact that the PS4 has way more exclusives.

Switch. Yes you’d be missing out on some brilliant PS4 exclusives but the Switch is such a different experience that it betters serves to complement your PC. A portable Nintendo system that will host all their upcoming projects? Do that.

DigSCCP

There's grand total of 2 Wii u ports and a cross game. That'a hardly benefited greatly.

They shifted their focus earlier because of WiiU failure.
I think thats kinda obvious.
And when you look at Switch exclusive software sales is pretty clear that what they cooked for Switch would never been enough.
Its kinda ironic cause even tho WiiU failed, WiiU software is responsable for Switch current success.
Like I said when this moved projects are over and/or remasters are over then its time to see what N is really going to be capable of.
Clearly the market is not waiting for 1,2 Switch nor Snipperclips experiences, it is waiting for more Zelda or Mario experiences. How long are they going to take to bring those new experiences those for us? And with what are plaining to fill the gaps between those once remasters are over?
The fact that they have unified their teams brings positive thoughts about it.
But after last Nintendo HD hell development pacing I still wanna see the receipts.

MutFox

Banned
As a primarily PC gamer,
Switch was what I gravitated towards.

Nintendo exclusives are just so different from what's normally out.
There's also a lot of overlap between PS4 and PC.

Though if the rumours are true,
I'll eventually get a BC PS5.

Si2k78

Personally, I sold my PS4 because it was collecting dust. Got the switch and never looked back. Couldn't be happier. I couldn't get excited about the PS4 lineup. Whereas Nintendo is truly hitting their stride, getting both a mainline zelda and 3D Mario in the same year is unprecedented. And 2018 is shaping up to be potentially another stellar year, with more third parties jumping on board, mainline Pokémon, and metroid, has gotten me intrigued.

And when you look at Switch exclusive software sales is pretty clear that what they cooked for Switch would never been enough.
Its kinda ironic cause even tho WiiU failed, WiiU software is responsable for Switch current success.
Like I said when this moved projects are over and/or remasters are over then its time to see what N is really going to be capable of.
Clearly the market is not waiting for 1,2 Switch nor Snipperclips experiences, it is waiting for more Zelda or Mario experiences. How long are they going to take to bring those new experiences those for us? And with what are plaining to fill the gaps between those once remasters are over?
But after last Nintendo HD hell development pacing I still wanna see the receipts.
I mean switch will also benefit from the 3DS dying relatively soon and becoming THE Nintendo platform

NimbusD

Imo switch. It's not just gaming at your desk and on your couch. That's what I'm doing anyway. It's nice to have games on my commute and when I'm out with friends.

Get one of those cheap 16 buck knockoff portable docks from Alibaba too and you've got some sweet lan party potential w other friends w docks.

Pachinko

900th post in this thread or whatever to say this but - High end gaming PC will give you access to 90% of xbox/ps4 games and depending how good your rig is , they'll look better too so as always it comes down to exclusives.

Complimenting that PC with a switch means ... well, Nintendo games. Breath of the wild , mario oddysee and the current best versions of Pokken tournament, Mario Kart 8 and more than likely a deluxe port of Smash bros wii U , Bayonetta 2 , wonderful 101 for those that skipped the wii U. Other brand new exclusive titles like Xenoblade 2 , probably some kind of zelda sequel down the road and any other typical Nintendo stuff you might be at all interested in. This stuff will never come out anywhere else.

Grabbing a PS4 then, means you'll have access to sony's first party library of content - Gran Tourismo , Horizon , Uncharted , Spider-man, God of War , Days gone, Detroit , Ratchet and clank , etc. These games will also be glued to the platform so it just comes down to which sort of titles you want to play.

I suppose pricing could be another factor - A switch costs less than a PS4 pro but due to the choice of flash rom based physical games the games could average a higher cost. The switch is also a portable while the PS4 pro is obviously not. Gaming on a PS4 will also cost you 70 bucks extra a year to get PS+ to have online play while on Nintendo I don't feel their upcoming service is really required at all (unless you really want to play splatoon or whatever) and even if you did , it's still far cheaper than sony's service.

If this were my decision , I'd buy a switch over a PS4 but then I'm also a believer in using a dedicated device to watch blurays with. One thing is for sure , you really don't need an xbox if you have a dedicated gaming PC unless you really want to play Halo.

The Switch. As much as i love the PS4, the Switch library is very distinct to other consoles making the best compliment for PC. Also, PSNow is already offering PS4 games. In the future you might be able to play most Sony 1st party on PC.

Toni

Switch. Yes you’d be missing out on some brilliant PS4 exclusives but the Switch is such a different experience that it betters serves to complement your PC. A portable Nintendo system that will host all their upcoming projects? Do that.

PS4 has Remote Play with Vita, a tablet or a smartphone. That essentially mimics what Switch does and does it extremely well. Also on devices with bigger screens as well.

Gotta ad that PS4 is the #1 console atm for the most exclusives and the best exclusives point blank. This year alone is crazy for the amount of exclusives output.

It has the best array of indie support too.

Its the best console overall to own at the moment.

OmegaDL50

Which upcoming software line-up do you care more about?

That should answer your question~~~

I'd have both alongside my PC.

Same.

There are experiences I have on PC that fit it appropriate for high end visual fidelity and modding support or Genres that feel more at home on PC. Bethesda games like Skyrim and FO4, 4K Forza Horizon 3 at 60FPS, Divinity: Original Sin 2, etc

I own a Switch because there Nintendo specific experiences that won't be available on my PC or PS4 Pro. Stuff like Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, future Zelda and Pokemon.

And I own a PS4 Pro mainly for exclusives that aren't found on my other two devices (Yakuza 0 / Kiwami, Nioh, Bloodborne, Horizon, Persona 5, etc)

The only outlier in this case seems to be the Xbox, but to be honest the only two games released from MS I've been interested in the last couple of years is Killer Instinct and Forza, which I have available via the W10 Store.

Papacheeks

Banned
900th post in this thread or whatever to say this but - High end gaming PC will give you access to 90% of xbox/ps4 games and depending how good your rig is , they'll look better too so as always it comes down to exclusives.

Complimenting that PC with a switch means ... well, Nintendo games. Breath of the wild , mario oddysee and the current best versions of Pokken tournament, Mario Kart 8 and more than likely a deluxe port of Smash bros wii U , Bayonetta 2 , wonderful 101 for those that skipped the wii U. Other brand new exclusive titles like Xenoblade 2 , probably some kind of zelda sequel down the road and any other typical Nintendo stuff you might be at all interested in. This stuff will never come out anywhere else.

Grabbing a PS4 then, means you'll have access to sony's first party library of content - Gran Tourismo , Horizon , Uncharted , Spider-man, God of War , Days gone, Detroit , Ratchet and clank , etc. These games will also be glued to the platform so it just comes down to which sort of titles you want to play.

I suppose pricing could be another factor - A switch costs less than a PS4 pro but due to the choice of flash rom based physical games the games could average a higher cost. The switch is also a portable while the PS4 pro is obviously not. Gaming on a PS4 will also cost you 70 bucks extra a year to get PS+ to have online play while on Nintendo I don't feel their upcoming service is really required at all (unless you really want to play splatoon or whatever) and even if you did , it's still far cheaper than sony's service.

If this were my decision , I'd buy a switch over a PS4 but then I'm also a believer in using a dedicated device to watch blurays with. One thing is for sure , you really don't need an xbox if you have a dedicated gaming PC unless you really want to play Halo.

IF YOUR only talking 3rd party then yes. But your omitting a lot of exclusive third party that either have not been announced for PC or have no date for a PC release.

NI-OH, Gravity Rush 1 and 2, Persona 5, Yakuza series, Bloodborne, Hidden Agenda(super massive developer), Ratchet and clank, Dragon quest 11, DANGANRONPA, PATAPON, LOCOROCO, CRASH TRILOGY, Kingdom hearts 3 isn't coming to PC yet there's no info on a pc version.

Not to mention all the remasters and one off's like Last guardian, shadow of the colossus remake.

There is a fuck ton of games that are not going to be on PC.

So I find your post disengenous. Maybe 90% of third party games like ones by big western publishers(EA,ACTIVISION, BLIZZARD, Ubisoft) but anything out of Japan is not guaranteed a PC release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Switch isn't a special exception given the vast amount of ports being announced. It's no different then PS4, where there's a tremendous amount of overlap. PS4 only has more overlap because it has more support.

Ragnaroc

Neo Member
If you played the entire mile long library of must play games on the PS4 that there is then you should definitely stick to PS4 because there is just more of that on the way . Switch does not keep up with that no other console does. My switch sat unused until Sonic mania came out being relegated to a weekend mario Kart machine my PS4 however still has a ridiculous backlog . Unless you care about portability which I don't then of course you have your answer you can't play PS4 on the bus, and sadly for me I don't have a self driving car to play Switch on the go.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nintendo always does that. Have a look at the wii's last few years. They would have definitely done so regardles.

The answer is whichever has more exclusives you're interested in.

Personally I'd go with the Switch. I had a PS4 since day one but sold it earlier this year to a friend since none of the upcoming exclusives interested me that much and it was just collecting dust.

Papacheeks

Banned
The answer is whichever has more exclusives you're interested in.

Personally I'd go with the Switch. I had a PS4 since day one but sold it earlier this year to a friend since none of the upcoming exclusives interested me that much and it was just collecting dust.

So none of the games that came out this year and last year interested you?

DMONKUMA

So none of the games that came out this year and last year interested you?
They just said that, don't know why you need a repeat of confirmation.

Anyways the major thing is the exclusives you're interested in each system. Only additional reason I can think that you would pick one over the other is if you care about being able to play games on the go. If not yeah it comes down to exclusives.

which first party do you like? And how often will you be buying said 1st party games? Because frankly Nintendo's output of 1st party titles stomps Sony's. Get an AAA game pretty much every month from Nintendo.

ozfunghi

I 'd say a Switch is more complementary to a PC. Not only do you get a handheld, you also get Nintendo games. Except for the PS4 exclusives, there is no reason to own a PS4 if you own a PC. I think there is more overlap between a PC and a PS4, while a switch can be used as a portable as well, on top of Nintendo' s exclusives.

Toni

I mean clear so in comparison to selling it. It's not that odd it's just a games console.

I mean switch has plenty of other good exclusives so it's not this either

And so does the PS4...and by a far greater amount?.

This is the Switch's first year out vs almost 4 years worth of retail and indie exclusives on PS4. Its not a fair comparison to be honest. This is what the OP is curious about and this is truth at the moment.

nachum00

I have a PS4 but besides Bloodborne and The Last Guardian I can't think of an exclusive I absolutely love that isn't also on PC.

As for the Switch there's Zelda:BOTW. Mario Odyssey gets out next month and looks amazing.

But yeah for me each console only has 2 killer apps. So I'd say it's a toss up.

jsnepo

If you're into story driven single player games then get a PS4. Sony is hitting it with these games especially this year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And so does the PS4...and by a far greater amount?.

This is the Switch's first year out vs almost 4 years worth of retail and indie exclusives on PS4. Its not a fair comparison to be honest. This is what the OP is curious about and this is truth at the moment.
Well yeah and op has had a ps4 for those games and has played the ones he's interested in. Did you read the OP?

As far as this thread is concerned it's ps4's future catalogue vs the switches current and future catalogue so it's pretty fair I think.

rockyt

I am primarily a PC games as well. I would say the switch since a lot of games on PS4 you can get on PC minus the exclusive at better graphic and FPS. You can also play your PC games on tv and couch when connected with a controller. The switch for the console portable games you don't have the time or luxury to sit in front of PC or tv.

Then the next question is if you like portable gaming? If you have to choose and like both first party then you have to consider the actual systems themselves.

You know what you're getting with the PS4. Connect to your TV, download, and then go.

With the Switch even if you don't take your systems outside you still can be playing away from the TV or you can have a movie playing on your PS4 while you're chilling on your couch/bed gaming on your Switch.

Branson

I’d say Switch. But if you’re into PS4 exclusives, and they are really good, then...both? Lol. I think PC and the current Nintendo platform has always been a great way to go.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Then the next question is if you like portable gaming? If you have to choose and like both first party then you have to consider the actual systems themselves.

You know what you're getting with the PS4. Connect to your TV, download, and then go.

With the Switch even if you don't take your systems outside you still can be playing away from the TV or you can have a movie playing on your PS4 while you're chilling on your couch/bed gaming on your Switch.
Portable gaming is just far more relaxed and not intrusive I find. Your not hogging the tv, you can pause a game and easily come back to it within a day or two without saving your progress. You can relax and play on your bed or any position you choose on the couch etc and just works better for slower tactics based games or really long turn based rpg's.

Ex-Psych

I own PC, PS4 and Switch

I'd say go with Switch for not only the it's exclusives but for the off chance possibility of a 3rd party game being both available on Switch and PC, giving you the option of a portable version.

Ofcourse it ain't a wrong choice if you go PS4 instead. That also has its fair share of great games and exclusive indie.

elhav

The amount of great exclusives on the PS4 far outweighs that of the Switch. Never buy a console with the prospect of future games, unless it's out really soon and you must have it(like the new Mario). If you really really want to play it, and the games already on the system, than yes, get the Switch.

If you don't mind waiting for a bit, I'd say it's better to buy a PS4 for now. Great games are cheap and plentiful, so you won't feel a drought any time soon.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The amount of great exclusives on the PS4 far outweighs that of the Switch. Never buy a console with the prospect of future games, unless it's out really soon and you must have it(like the new Mario). If you really really want to play it, and the games already on the system, than yes, get the Switch.

If you don't mind waiting for a bit, I'd say it's better to buy a PS4 for now. Great games are cheap and plentiful, so you won't feel a drought any time soon.
He's doing that for both either way since he's had a ps4 and played the games he was interested in.

I own a PS4 and Switch, just putting that out that because I kind of disagree. With Nintendo whether it's a failing system or one that's booming with them the one thing you can count on is the 1st party support. It's Nintendo it's what they do. That's why I kind of disagree. The other part of that is that while the Wii U got a bunch of great first party support there was long droughts on it. The 1st party support on the Switch is definitely going to be there it's just a question on whether that support you feel will get to you personally in a timely manner.

Dude you're calling a game you've never played one of the best games this year and likely ever. That is some 'excitement'
Yeah it's getting pretty silly. Switch is great hardware, the best output from Ninty since the GameCube imo, but it's not the second coming of jesus, jesus! Let just wait and play Odyssey first, shall we.

Top Bottom