• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

Frodo

As said a thousand times in this theed: Is portability important for you? Would you rather play Sony's 1st party exclusives or Nintendo's 1st party exclusives?

ianpm31

As said a thousand times in this theed: Is portability important for you? Would you rather play Sony's 1st party exclusives or Nintendo's 1st party exclusives?

I see this response a lot. Do you guys ever take into account that their are a shit ton of 3rd party exclusives on ps4 (Nioh, P5, Yakuza, etc).

PetrCobra

I'd say Switch but a lot of reasons I have for that is my general personal preference towards Nintendo's games over Sony's.

In other words, this is something only you can decide, OP.

But FWIW, looking at the software lineup it seems to me that the advantage PS4 has because of the headstart of several years (more existing games) is going to diminish pretty quickly. Not yet this year though. I mean, there are more heavy hitters on Switch than I can remember from any other console's first year but it will still take a little more time.

yuraya

Like 97% of the current PS4 library is available on PC so I would go Switch.

The portability and Nintendos massive first party will be a clear distinction over the PS4 in the long run.

BaasRed

Banned
It depends on the games but the Switch is much more flexible. Ps4 is also great ofcourse but if you are on the move you'll appreciate the Switch more. I'll be getting one for my birthday :)

sprinkles

Primary PC gamer here as well. I bought a PS4 around two years ago and a Switch at launch.

If I had to choose between one of them, I would get a PS4 no questions asked - I have played through multiple console exclusives (Persona 5, Nioh, Horizon, Yakuza 0&Kiwami) this year alone while the only game I played on a Switch was Zelda.

DigSCCP

OP already stated that he enjoys both Sony and Nintendo 1P.
Seems like portability is a non factor.
OP had a PS4 and played almost everything he wanted - I would like more details onde this, because with this year PS4 line up he probably missed some games - so lets just use second semester titles.
Lets see both plataforms just released and future heavy hitter titles ( until Q1 2018 ) :
- Switch : Zelda, Mario, Mario Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2
- PS4 : Uncharted TLL, Horizon Frozen Wilds, GTS, God of War, Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami, FFFXII, Crash Bandicoot.
It would be great to know if OP had an WiiU and wich PS4 titles he missed so far.
Without knowing this ( so only considerating the software listed above ) I would say PS4 its a best option on every aspect : software library, software price, hardware price and short term perspective.
But being part of a launch hype train is fun and buying a Switch would give you a feeling of "new piece of tech in my hands" that PS wont since you already owned one recently.

OP already stated that he enjoys both Sony and Nintendo 1P.
Seems like portability is a non factor.
OP had a PS4 and played almost everything he wanted - I would like more details onde this, because with this year PS4 line up he probably missed some games - so lets just use second semester titles.
Lets see both plataforms just released and future heavy hitter titles ( until Q1 2018 ) :
- Switch : Zelda, Mario, Mario Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2
- PS4 : Uncharted TLL, Horizon Frozen Wilds, GTS, God of War, Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami, FFFXII, Crash Bandicoot.
It would be great to know if OP had an WiiU and wich PS4 titles he missed so far.
Without knowing this ( so only considerating the software listed above ) I would say PS4 its a best option on every aspect : software library, software price, hardware price and short term perspective.
But being part of a launch hype train is fun and buying a Switch would give you a feeling of "new piece of tech in my hands" that PS wont since you already owned one recently.

Everybody's Golf gets no love. :[

What a joy that game is.

Depends what games you want to play and what appeals to you from each library, obviously.

I haven't touched my PS4 since Yakuza 0 and dropping Persona 5.

PS4 can be found cheap, has a good library of cheap exclusives, but will be replaced within 2-3 years.

Switch has a lot of momentum with great first party titles, should be supported for a while, and offers a handheld experience you can’t get on PC. It’s also not that much more expensive (though games and potentially required accessories are more).

I vote switch.

Both have their merits. The Switch as a system is more unique and you may find that appealing if PC is your primary setup. In terms of library it's all about personal tastes. Do Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey excite you? Go with Switch. Do God of War and Horizon excite you? Go with PS4.

Personally I would always pick PlayStation as I like their exclusive stuff better, but ultimately it comes down to who's exclusives do you prefer.

gtj1092

Like 97% of the current PS4 library is available on PC so I would go Switch.

The portability and Nintendos massive first party will be a clear distinction over the PS4 in the long run.

Isn't this the same for switch. All those indie games that make up the majority of its library are on PC and it's two biggest games are on Wii U and can be played on PC if you choose to do so. I'm just not seeing this long list of switch of exclusives. That will change over time but right now Ps4 has more.

Objectively you would want a Switch. The PS4 and the PC share many games.

If you love Sony exclusives then its the PS4, no question.

Same to you where are you seeing this difference between ps4 and switch game line up overlap with PC.

kadotsu

Banned
After the GBA, DS and 3DS I am extremely averse to buying the first iterations of portable Nintendo hardware. I'm not saying that the Switch is a bad device it is just that Nintendo always seems to get it extremely right on their second try.
I will get a Switch with a smaller bezel, more screen real estate and more comfortable Joycons in a few years. Maybe they'll even throw in some nice wireless TV projection to make the ultimate Mario Maker machine.

On the other hand you have the PS4, which will hit $200 this year for the base model. The library speaks for itself, the hardware and OS are boring but competent. It is at this moment my choice besides the PC because I love Japanese games. It is a failsafe for bad ports and my main device for 2D gaming because I love the controler. Sony is also the only Platform holder besides Valve that does sales that are worth a shit, even if you don't pay for PS+.

PantsuJo

Code:
if (PS4Exclusives > SwitchExclusives){
    Purchase(PS4);
}else{
    Purchase(Switch);
}[/QUOTE]

Correctly formatted, my coder friend.

Also, Python version just because:

Code:
if PS4Exclusives > SwitchExclusives:
    Purchase(PS4)
else:
    Purchase(Switch)

sublimit

Banned
PS4 because i like Sony's exclusives more.

That said the best combo for me is always Sony+Nintendo.You will miss significant exclusives if you skip either system.

Bahorel

bth.gif

the only real solution. now you can play every game!*

*except sunset overdrive. still bitter.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Neither. You already own the best platform, with access to the games the others are port begging for.

But if you must, then it's up to you on whose franchises matter most. It's not an easy decision, because both companies have great franchises. Cheerleaders will act as though Sony only has Uncharted or Nintendo only has Zelda, but anyone that doesn't have their head up a company's ass knows better.

So choose for yourself OP, instead of starting a thread that you know will spiral out of control.

Here's a better question: Which one has exclusives you want to play coming in the next year? You can eventually get both since both systems will still be around for a while, a few years at least.

You say you really wanna play Zelda and Mario (two GOTG games). I say get a Switch now (the Mario Odyssey bundle), and then you can get another PS4 next year for like $200-250 or cheaper if you go used.

BigEmil

Switch for 1st party exclusives

PS4 for 3rd party exclusives

Get both if you can for cheap like a PS4 Slim and cheap Switch

Really depends on what first party titles you enjoy like others have said.

The other thing I would ask is if portability is a factor in your purchase. I was never big into portable gaming until I undocked my Switch and was able to play as I was rocking my kids (they were already asleep, I don’t ignore them) or right before bed in my room. So, if you travel a lot, or are interested in portable gaming, the Switch may be the way to go. Third party publishers seem to be sending more software to the Switch. The announcement of Wolfenstein 2, Doom, and LA Noire have me very excited.

If none of those things attract you, go for the PS4. I have both and enjoy both equally.

low-G

[/CODE]

Correctly formatted, my coder friend.

Also, Python version just because:

Code:
if PS4Exclusives > SwitchExclusives:
    Purchase(PS4)
else:
    Purchase(Switch)

(PS4Exclusives > SwitchExclusives? Purchase(PS4) : Purchase(Switch))

MV PS4Exclusives, EDX
MV SwitchExclusives, EAX
CMP EAX, EDX
JGE PurchasePS4
SUB 300, Money

Since you've already played most of what the PS4 has to offer right now, I say get a Switch. Not only does it take care of the portability aspect of your gaming needs but there are great games out for it and more are coming soon over the next 6 months.

A PS4 will only get cheaper as time goes on and so will its games. And personally speaking I'm not too big of a fan of the remote play experience on the system.

Sandoval

Both. Or maybe PS4 for cheap older games that are great then slide into a switch in a year or two when stock is plentiful and there are more games. I love my switch, but it's mostly a Zelda machine for me at the moment until I work through enough backlog to justify getting Mario x Rabbids or whatever the next Mario is. .

I own both and if I had to choose, I'd go Switch. If the launch year is any indication, the software is going to be flowing fast and furious. I can barely play all the things they are putting out and most of them are Switch-only or better on portable (indies). If you've already played things like Bloodborne and Persona 5, it's just a slam dunk.

DigSCCP

I own both and if I had to choose, I'd go Switch. If the launch year is any indication, the software is going to be flowing fast and furious. I can barely play all the things they are putting out and most of them are Switch-only or better on portable (indies). If you've already played things like Bloodborne and Persona 5, it's just a slam dunk.

To be honest I think those using first year of Switch as any indicative is out of their minds.
Switch is benefiting from WiiU failure.
Ninty unplugged WiiU, moved all games to Switch, delayed games to Switch and used WiiU already launched games as part of Switch line up.
Dont get me wrong here. I think Switch is having a nice start.
But dropping your previously plataform soon like N did has put them in a very comfortable position.
I still wanna see what they are going to do when the last remasters ( like SSB or possibly Bayo ) and moved projects ( like next Pikmin ) are over.

jdmonmou

Given the number of announced games for both I would say Ps4 is a far more viable option. I would get Ps4 first then Switch after.
That’s really the smartest move. PS4 has the bigger library of exclusives. Buy that first and then get a Switch later when it has a more robust library.

I have a monster PC rig, PS4, and a Switch. Without a doubt my Switch has gotten the most use these last six months. I hadn't touched my PS4 since Switch came out, until Destiny 2. And with Mario and Xenoblade coming this year as well, gonna be lots more Switch in my future. Monster Hunter is the next PS4 game I'm looking forward to, and even that is coming to PC also at some point.

All that is to say, I'd pick Switch in a heart beat.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To be honest I think those using first year of Switch as any indicative is out of their minds.
Switch is benefiting from WiiU failure.
Ninty unplugged WiiU, moved all games to Switch, delayed games to Switch and used WiiU already launched games as part of Switch line up.
Dont get me wrong here. I think Switch is having a nice start.
But dropping your previously plataform soon like N did has put them in a very comfortable position.
I still wanna see what they are going to do when the last remasters ( like SSB or possibly Bayo ) and moved projects ( like next Pikmin ) are over.
There's grand total of 2 Wii u ports and a cross game. That'a hardly benefited greatly.

Buggy Loop

Personally, I think Switch & PC is the best combo.

The variety of genres and styles when the two of them are combined is unmatched.
There's not many "NIntendo like" games in general outside of Nintendo's hardware. Indies are kind of filling a hole but nowhere near. Especially platformers. If you like platformers, you really can't skip Switch.

Switch just because it offers something different namely gaming on the go. Granted the PS4 has some amazing titles like Horizon but I feel there is just too much crossover of games on the PC. I would be more inclined to double dip on those titles with Switch, not so with the PS4.

Top Bottom