• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch wi fi is atrocious for me (READ MOD POST)

Hey guys,

It's a bit frustrating to keep seeing the "Hurr Durr it's your Wifi" posts when I think there are at least a few of us with very real issues with the wifi strength on the Switch being incredibly poor in comparison to our other devices.

I also think there are two issues being discussed in this thread, 1) The actual Wifi signal strength from the Switch to the router, and 2) The download speed for updates etc.

I will address point 1) first with images below. My network setup is a load balancing router which takes two DSL lines and has multiple devices connected through LAN wired and then the Airport Time Capsule for wireless devices which auto connects devices to 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on their distance to the router (Protip almost everything connects to 5ghz). My network is fully capable of the latest A/C transfer speeds with my Macbook consistently being able to transfer data to my PC through Wifi at 38+ MB/S or around 305mbps. All devices on my network are assigned IPs based on their MAC address and I've also scanned the apartment multiple times and there are no conflicting channels.

Right Click > View Image to see full size or Open full album of pics on IMGUR

XHxx9SM.jpg

Here the Switch is docked and located directly under the Wifi Router and only gets two bars. The iPhone 6 and 3DSXL both get 3 full bars. (Yes i know it is messy back there).

eELCsRb.jpg

Here the Switch is un-docked and located directly under the Wifi Router resting on the dock, and gets 3 full bars but does occasionally drop down to 2. iPhone 6 and 3DSXL both get 3 full bars.

2olLQk7.jpg

This is all the devices on my desk which is about 3.2m and a direct line of sight to the Wifi Router. The Switch 2 bars only, everything else is 3 bars.

P4JZLPo.jpg

Now on the dining room table, still line of sight but about 4.8m away. In the life of my network 50+ people must have sat in this very position and had 3 bars on their phones. The Switch manages just 1 bar, with the 3DS and the iPhone showing 3 bars as you would well expect.

jQOlpIQ.jpg

This is the room directly behind the Wifi router, no line of sight, 1 single dry wall and only about 2.5m from Wifi router. Switch 1 bar only, 3DS and iPhone remain full at 3.

pxLR5Nf.jpg

Finaly picture in the bathroom, two walls and about 5m away from Wifi Router. Switch stays at 1 bar, iPhone drops down to 1 bar also. 3DS jumps from 3 bars to 1 bar.

So it is quite apparent that either a) my Switch has an underpowered Wifi chip and simply does not connect at the same strengths that we expect devices to connect at, or b) The software is reporting the signal strength incorrectly. Let's go back to the first docked picture though, there is literally no way you could get the Switch closer to the Wifi router than that in normal use to get 3 full bars!

The only saving grace is that even though the Switch drops down to 1 bar it does seem to at least keep that connection and I can browse the eShop even in the bathroom 8m and 2 walls away. No idea how fast it would download an update though, and this concerns me because at a hotel or resort you are not going to have the luxury of being so close to Wifi Routers to even have that 1 bar. I'll also end this segment by saying that out of around 5 Wifi networks my iPhone will pick up in my apartment, the Switch sees just 2 of them.

The number 2) discussion seems to be on download speed, now obviously signal strength has a huge impact on this, but i personally only have 55MBPS available for download, so that is about 6.8 MB/Sec which should be easily attainable even for a device only managing 1 bar. I think that the download speed issues are down to Nintendo server traffic, as they seem to be getting better...

All times (Japan Standard)
Test 1: Friday 11pm - Download: 1.1mbps
Test 2: Friday 11:30pm - Download: 1.3mbps
Test 2: Saturday 00:30pm - Download: 1.4mbps

^ And there and there abouts, it took me around 40 mins to download the Switch update last night at about 1.1mbps

Test 4: Saturday 1pm - Download: 7.8mbps
Test 4: Saturday Just now (8:30pm) - Download: 6.9mbps

Still a far cry from the available 55mbps BUT i am not actually in Japan (surrounding Asia area) and i do not know where the system is actually connecting too to measure the speed.

So there you have it, if any gaffers manage to speak with Nintendo support about this then please update us. The country i reside in has zero Nintendo support so if this isn't fixed via firmware update etc then my personal only recourse is to purchase a new Switch :(

Gimme a shout with any questions, hopefully this helps others.

You can't compare bars of one device against another. The different devices may have different thresholds for when they go from 3 > 2 > 1 bar. You need to actually be looking at the signal strength of each device.

Also not easy to compare download speeds as a measurement of Wifi. The Nintendo servers and CDN's could be getting slammed right now.

Hey guys,

It's a bit frustrating to keep seeing the "Hurr Durr it's your Wifi" posts when I think there are at least a few of us with very real issues with the wifi strength on the Switch being incredibly poor in comparison to our other devices.

I also think there are two issues being discussed in this thread, 1) The actual Wifi signal strength from the Switch to the router, and 2) The download speed for updates etc.

I will address point 1) first with images below. My network setup is a load balancing router which takes two DSL lines and has multiple devices connected through LAN wired and then the Airport Time Capsule for wireless devices which auto connects devices to 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on their distance to the router (Protip almost everything connects to 5ghz). My network is fully capable of the latest A/C transfer speeds with my Macbook consistently being able to transfer data to my PC through Wifi at 38+ MB/S or around 305mbps. I've also scanned the apartment multiple times and there are no conflicting channels.

So it is quite apparent that either a) my Switch has an underpowered Wifi chip and simply does not connect at the same strengths that we expect devices to connect at, or b) The software is reporting the signal strength incorrectly. Let's go back to the first docked picture though, there is literally no way you could get the Switch closer to the Wifi router than that in normal use to get 3 full bars!

The only saving grace is that even though the Switch drops down to 1 bar it does seem to at least keep that connection and I can browse the eShop even in the bathroom 8m and 2 walls away. No idea how fast it would download an update though, and this concerns me because at a hotel or resort you are not going to have the luxury of being so close to Wifi Routers to even have that 1 bar. I'll also end this segment by saying that out of around 5 Wifi networks my iPhone will pick up in my apartment, the Switch sees just 2 of them.

The number 2) discussion seems to be on download speed, now obviously signal strength has a huge impact on this, but i personally only have 55MBPS available for download, so that is about 6.8 MB/Sec which should be easily attainable even for a device only managing 1 bar. I think that the download speed issues are down to Nintendo server traffic, as they seem to be getting better...

^ And there and there abouts, it took me around 40 mins to download the Switch update last night at about 1.1mbps

Still a far cry from the available 55mbps BUT i am not actually in Japan (surrounding Asia area) and i do not know where the system is actually connecting too to measure the speed.

So there you have it, if any gaffers manage to speak with Nintendo support about this then please update us. The country i reside in has zero Nintendo support so if this isn't fixed via firmware update etc then my personal only recourse is to purchase a new Switch :(

This is pretty much how my wifi has been performing too.

Jaagen

I couldn't even connect to my 5GHz band, even though the router was in the same room and the Switch displayed full strength. I also couldn't get my LAN adapter to work.

You can't compare bars of one device against another. The different devices may have different thresholds for when they go from 3 > 2 > 1 bar. You need to actually be looking at the signal strength of each device.

Which would be fair enough IF it wasn't ONLY the Switch that has this issue. I don't know what to tell you? Take any device that is in the general hands of the public and you will see that the bars match up quite nicely. The Switch is simply the odd one out and showing Wifi bars WAY outside the normal thresholds.

No device docked into a plastic sleeve situated less than 30 cm away from the Wifi router should have anything other than 3 bars at all times.

The same is to be said about being less than 5m away line of sight, no one at all, ever, would expect that to be 1 bar regardless of the threshold of reporting it.

Raet

It did not even find my router, I had to use a mobile hotspot for the updates and to download Snipperclips. Never had this issue with any device before. Will try switching the bands later when I get home.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I recall reading somewhere that the WiFi and BlueTooth functionality are on the same chip?

Perhaps the chip is not getting enough power, so the poor WiFi and Joycon connection issues are related. Hopefully a firmware update can boost the signals (at the cost of battery life).

rhoq

Yeah, my signal is poor and the download speeds are bad.

Odd. My Switch shows a relatively poor signal on both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections, but downloads are quite fast. The day one system update didn't take more than 10 seconds. Zelda update maybe took a minute. Grabbed Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove from the eShop and that only took about a minute to download, too. Fast RMX about 3 minutes.

nampad

Hey guys,

I will address point 1) first with images below. My network setup is a load balancing router which takes two DSL lines and has multiple devices connected through LAN wired and then the Airport Time Capsule for wireless devices which auto connects devices to 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on their distance to the router (Protip almost everything connects to 5ghz). My network is fully capable of the latest A/C transfer speeds with my Macbook consistently being able to transfer data to my PC through Wifi at 38+ MB/S or around 305mbps. I've also scanned the apartment multiple times and there are no conflicting channels.

Thanks for all the testing, looks like the WiFi chip might not be so good.

Which would be fair enough IF it wasn't ONLY the Switch that has this issue. I don't know what to tell you? Take any device that is in the general hands of the public and you will see that the bars match up quite nicely. The Switch is simply the odd one out and showing Wifi bars WAY outside the normal thresholds.

No device docked into a plastic sleeve situated less than 30 cm away from the Wifi router should have anything other than 3 bars at all times.

The same is to be said about being less than 5m away line of sight, no one at all, ever, would expect that to be 1 bar regardless of the threshold of reporting it.

I wasn't speaking Switch to Switch, I meant comparing a Nintendo product against a Sony product against any other. My Vita always showed good signal strength but was terribly flakey with WiFi. My iPhone at times will show full bars but have trouble accessing the internet randomly depending on network congestion.

I'm just pointing out bars are not a 1:1 of strength & speed. The only way it can be properly compared is if there is a way to compare the actual dbm of the signals.

bomblord1

Banned
Personally I have noticed the signal being on the weaker side on 2.4ghz however I've never actually lost signal, had low speed, or disconnected it's just low bars.

snip

Thank you for the detailed breakdown. I had quite a bit of trouble getting connected via WiFi initially last night. Finally managed to connect, got the system update, then tried to update BotW, and WiFi just stopped about 70% through. I've rebooted the system multiple times, I've rebooted the router. Tried various manual and automatic configurations, tried all router channels. Nothing. The system sits in the same location as others that work without issue. I even sat it directly next to the router at one point.

I had a usb ethernet adapter from my Wii, hooked that up and was able to finish the update just fine - so that ruled out server load on Nintendo's side. The system still will not reconnect to the WiFi in my home. I've had over three dozen devices come through my home and connect without a single issue except...

About a year to 18 months ago, my Wii U and 3DS stopped connecting. This happened at different times, though the Wii U was wired for a long time and may have gone unnoticed as a result. I had to manually assign a static IP address to each, and manually configured the DNS according to Nintendo's direction here:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...a_id/217/~/how-to-manually-enter-dns-settings

Once I did those things, the Wii U and 3DS (plus a friend's 3DS) began working just fine. I tried these same methods with the Switch, but this did not work. I suspect something within a past system update caused the Wii U and 3DS to behave differently. I cannot think of anything else that makes sense, as everything else runs without a hitch. The only common denominator is Nintendo. I'll try to reformat in a bit, as well as trying some more router configurations, but if this continues, I going to return it and wait a few months until they iron out some of these issues.

No one should need to buy a new router when everything else is working fine. Any insightful posts, comments, suggestions, are appreciated.

The Switch will be the last console I ever purchase at launch.

I am unbelievably disappointed. The system straight up refuses to connect to the internet when docked....unless I created a mobile hotspot with my iPhone. Using my router, I get nothing. The Switch recognized it, but will not connect. Period.

If I undock the system, it will connect, but i's incredibly slow. Literally every single internet-enabled device in my home has zero issues. Until the Switch.

I also had to buy a screen protector today, because the damn system scratched after taking it out of the dock the first time.

I'm done with this shit. If Zelda wasn't such an amazing game, I'd return the console. I was so excited for this system, but Nintendo dressed up a cheap piece of shit in nice clothing. I'm completely bummed out over this.

Glad to see it wasn't just my system that had wifi issues. Could not get the system or games to update. Took my group an hour to get it to work (and we did nothing but put it to Sleep and back). Afterwards, it was the same as current systems, but that first hour, including the system update which got frozen, scared the heck out of me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've only used my Switch in the same room as my router (5Ghz), and haven't had any issues. Will try in another room to see what my concrete walls have to say about the matter.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Switch has actually prompted me to get a new router. I knew 5G coverage on my router sucked thanks to my iPad and MacBook.. but 2.4G on Switch seems so bad for me in terms of speed, and 5G has great speeds but my router's coverage.. going to start with a single unit Google Wi-fi and go from there I guess.

saskuatch

same here, my switch is in the next room over from my router same as my PC and ps4. But the signal is way weaker, if I do use 5g it is a bit better but still weak.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
No problems here, downloaded the switch update, zelda update and all the neogeo games. Downloads were fast, connection never broke.

wait... neo geo games are that easy to buy? did you use an american cc? do you have to switch users to play them?

I had massive issues with wifi at my office, couldn't even download the OS update until I moved closer to the router. No other wifi device around ever had any issue (phone, iPad, vita, 3DS, etc), so I definitely think the switch's wifi is at fault here.

Biske

Mine is always one bar. If I leave it alone seems to still connect and download. But always one bar. Never had a problem with any other device

The wifi is bad

phant0m

I've actually found the wifi to be refreshingly good compared to 3DS or WiiU's performance. Even at "1 bar" of signal strength I'm getting close to 10 Mbps.

Wondering if OP and others have defective units? Or maybe very congested airwaves?

Ran Ran

I'm in the same boat OP.

My speeds are fine but distance is terrible. My router is in the room beside my bedroom against my bedroom wall and I get no signal in my bed.

2.4 or 5 both have good speed for me but drop out as soon as I leave the room.

Wondering if OP and others have defective units? Or maybe very congested airwaves?

For what it's worth, at the time I made my attempts, there was one device connected via wifi (my phone), and my PC via ethernet.

Hopefully, I'll have better luck this afternoon. If not, I'll return it and roll with the Wii U version of BotW for now. Give things a few months before jumping back in. Maybe these issues will be ironed out with future updates. It's unfortunate.

Crazyorloco

Spec wise it's pretty much on par with any modern high-end or upper mid-range phone. Technical specs are 802.11ac with 2x2 MIMO over 80 Hz bands with theoretical speeds up to 867Mb/s on 5GHz and 400Mb/s on 2.4GHz. Actual speeds will depend on antenna configuration and how good a signal is available to the user's wi-fi access point or router.

Wi-fi connectivity will depend heavily on the device's antenna design and whether any other components would compromise the ability of the antenna to get a good signal. Given that metal casings on phones like the HTC One can act as Faraday cages (ie they can block radio waves), the design and positioning of the antenna is extremely important if you want to get a good wi-fi connection. With how many devices use Broadcom wi-fi modules without issue, I'd assume HTC's antenna/case design is the more likely culprit there.

Regarding Switch, I seem to be getting a pretty good connection to a 5GHz network from a fairly mediocre access point on the far side of the house that many other devices have issues with. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet, but it seems good so far.

If people are having issues with any wi-fi connection (Switch or otherwise), I'd recommend the following:

- Use a wi-fi scanner app to see where the emptiest part of the spectrum is and manually set your wi-fi channel to that. Even if it's all pretty similar, manually set it to something. Some access points/routers have issues with switching channels too often in auto mode, and if nothing else by parking yourself in one channel you discourage other networks from using it.

- If your router/access point is running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz as a single SSID, try setting them to separate SSIDs (ie ssidname and ssidname_5ghz) and then connecting 5GHz devices to the 5GHz one. In theory running dual-band on a single SSID is supposed to work, but a lot of consumer routers and access points choke on it and you end up with much worse speed/reliability than two separate networks.

Great post. Changing to 5Ghz fixed everything for me.

Mine is bad too. Even sat in the same room as the router, with no other devices nearby, I can only get 2 bars of WiFi signal. I've not tried changing the WiFi channel on the router yet, will try that out tomorrow.

wait... neo geo games are that easy to buy? did you use an american cc? do you have to switch users to play them?

I'm from the uk, and the european eshop has the following NG games:

Neo Geo Shock Troopers
Neo Geo World Heroes Perfect
Neo Geo King of Fighters '98
Neo Geo Waku Waku 7
Neo Geo Metal Slug 3

So I didn't have to faff around changing regions or anything

MrBenchmark

Good to know as I have the 6400 (model down from the 7000 nighthawk) so I was concerned it was the router not playing nice with the Switch. Bought it literally a week ago.

My channels are on auto but there's literally no other Wifi in range so...
Nighthawk 7000 here too. If nothing else is in range set channels anyway it will help. Go highest channels for 2.4 and 5ghz since you have no competing signals. Stuff will be more reliable.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm from the uk, and the european eshop has the following NG games:

Neo Geo Shock Troopers
Neo Geo World Heroes Perfect
Neo Geo King of Fighters '98
Neo Geo Waku Waku 7
Neo Geo Metal Slug 3

So I didn't have to faff around changing regions or anything

UK indeed lol

thats dope, enjoy ! hopefully we get these in the US soo

Yup. Wifi on my switch is absolute garbage when none of my other devices have any trouble connecting to wifi in my room. Even my vita, which had the worst connection of my devices, never actually lost connection or ever had difficulty finding my wifi.

(Not turning this into a console war thing, just some comparisons here).

Gonna have to get a usb to ethernet connection since i dont wanna undock it and move closer to my router everytime i need to update/install something.

drotahorror

I'm on 5ghz, the switch is inches from the router (nighthawk ac1900). The connection is fine I suppose, but I'm getting 8mpbs instead about 50mbps for download speeds. My tablet gets 40ish mbps 20 feet away and through walls. The Switch is the only device on the 5ghz channel.

Berordn

I'm on 5ghz, the switch is inches from the router (nighthawk ac1900). The connection is fine I suppose, but I'm getting 8mpbs instead about 50mbps for download speeds. My tablet gets 40ish mbps 20 feet away and through walls. The Switch is the only device on the 5ghz channel.

Switch's download speeds are probably tested off of Nintendo's servers rather than a typical speedtest, so you might be seeing the actual download speed vs. best case theoretical.

Sargon

For those of you on 5GHz, are you using a dual-band router? How do you get the Switch to stay on 5 GHz?

My Switch connects at 5GHz when I'm in the same room with the router, but as soon as I move to another room it switches to 2.4 GHz.

Ricky 7

For those of you on 5GHz, are you using a dual-band router? How do you get the Switch to stay on 5 GHz?

My Switch connects at 5GHz when I'm in the same room with the router, but as soon as I move to another room it switches to 2.4 GHz.
Wireless extender via powerline adapter.

RedToad64

I'm not the only one have connectivity issues, it seems. Sitting right next to my Wii U and Xbox One, it barely manages to get any signal at all.

Thankfully the system can literally be picked up and moved around.

Some routers implement "Smart Mode" where the 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bands appear as one AP and it switches bands when it determines you are too far away for 5 ghz band to be reliable and it will automatically dump you onto 2.4 ghz.

Go in your router settings and disable this and force the router to present the 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bands as 2 separate APs. Then set the Switch up so only the 5 ghz AP is configured. It will never look for the 2.4 ghz AP then and will stay on 5 ghz.

Felensis

Banned
My Switch is connected via 5GHz. Router is roughly 2.5 - 3 meters away and Switch shows nearly full signal. Anyway I don't have connection or download issues so far.

drotahorror

Switch's download speeds are probably tested off of Nintendo's servers rather than a typical speedtest, so you might be seeing the actual download speed vs. best case theoretical.

True, yeah I just did the connection test and it was 8mbps down and 3mbps up. I don't really have any use for any other servers except for Nintendo's so my actual speed is irrelevant if they're shit from Nintendo's servers.

Don't really know much about routers. How do I know if my router supports 5GHz? And is switching to 5GHz something that is done in Switch menus?

I have a terrible connection when it's docked in my entertainment center, but pulling it out literally a foot away from it makes everything move super quick.

I need a new entertainment center.

I said this last night, but I tried switching to 5G after I posted and the thing started moving like lightning. I guess it's just my 2G? I have too much stuff on wifi in my house.

Sargon

Some routers implement "Smart Mode" where the 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bands appear as one AP and it switches bands when it determines you are too far away for 5 ghz band to be reliable and it will automatically dump you onto 2.4 ghz.

Go in your router settings and disable this and force the router to present the 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bands as 2 separate APs. Then set the Switch up so only the 5 ghz AP is configured. It will never look for the 2.4 ghz AP then and will stay on 5 ghz.

That makes sense. I'll have to experiment with it, but I don't know if turning Smart mode off will make things better or worse for my network as a whole. It seems like it would result in having to do a lot more manual management of devices and which network they are connecting to at which time based on where I am located in the house. I kind of like the Smart mode doing that for me, so maybe I will leave it alone until/unless I have problems.

Top Bottom