• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switched to android from iOS, immediately miss imessage :(

Half my friends are iPhone and half Android, and we all just use Facebook Messenger. It's got all the features I need and it's got a good interface. Bonus, if I'm at a desktop I can just type there as well (I assume iMessage can do this too though, and I know Hangouts can.)

Coxy100

Banned
This here alone would be enough for make to jump ship from that setup. How do they reply to that image? Via the email? Back in the SMS chat where the image isn't visible?

I'm 34 - I hardly ever send an image to a friend.

I only really send images to my wife (apple) and all of my siblings / parents (and my wife's set too) have apple. So it's fine - no need for whatsapp.

The only person I can think of that I send the odd image to is my brother in law who does have android. He always moans I should get whatsapp but I'm not getting it just for 1 person. Like I said, I don't want multiple messaging apps.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That's very recent. But the fact is you're still charged at all depending on your plan. Would you post on GAF as much as you do if there was a fixed price per post, image and GIF posted?

Yeah, I live in the UK so there's no charges for SMS on all* contracts you'll find these days, but sending pictures and that will usually charge you if it goes through as an MMS. I don't know if it's the same for iMessage, but WhatsApp definitely cuts out that risk of sending a picture out to a bunch of people and getting charged a bunch for it.

* I don't know whether there are some contracts that charge for SMS messages - I haven't seen one in a long time. The main thing is usually how much data you're allowed to use now, which limits both WhatsApp and iMessage

Half my friends are iPhone and half Android, and we all just use Facebook Messenger. It's got all the features I need and it's got a good interface. Bonus, if I'm at a desktop I can just type there as well (I assume iMessage can do this too though, and I know Hangouts can.)

Yeah WhatsApp has a desktop app and web interface. I know there's an iMessage app on desktop macs but not sure there's a web client for it. Is it on iCloud.com?

Ash735

Poor brainwashed Americans clinging to iMessage pretending that universal alternatives don't exist, thankfully Europe has embraced WhatsApp so people can communicate no matter what phone they have, weird right?

KJA

Everybody that I know or meet uses iMessage. Why would you need to download another app just to talk when you got one built in?

Jonnax

Poor brainwashed Americans clinging to iMessage pretending that universal alternatives don't exist, thankfully Europe has embraced WhatsApp so people can communicate no matter what phone they have, weird right?

Nonono. You can send android users SMS! Such amazing technology!

Where on earth are these rich yuppie-ass communities where literally everyone has an iPhone? But I do get that it's a better app then the competition.

And what do I know, around here everyone just sends SMS/MMS from default Android messaging apps. Is that really that rare? Do the kids these days not say "text me" anymore? Do they say "WhatsApp® me bro!" and "Facebook Message® me bro!"? Is this a yelling-at-clouds thing?

Wtf even if 80% of the people had iMessage, the other 20% would have android and, thus, would use whatsapp, Facebook messenger, viber or whatever.
iMessage can communicate with everyone via iMessage or falling back to SMS, can Whatsapp communicate with non-Whatsapp users? A quick googling says no, has that changed?

Also, its like installing whatsapp would take more than 10 seconds.
Not needing to install something is always going to be preferable to having to install something.

Brinbe

I know people here in Canadia that use predominately use Whatsapp, but def not the majority I know. Most get by fine with texts, and I mainly just use textra or fb messenger. Probably just the culture of texts costing absolutely nothing here to use/send. So there's not really been a point to using anything else?

and lmfao. stop telling people in NA to switch WHEN THERE'S FUCKING ZERO REASON TO. NA isn't Europe or the worst of the fucking world lol.

Kinokou

You need to create a Facebook account, be friends with people on Facebook and whatnot. WhatsApp uses your phone number and contacts, just like iMessage does, except it doesn't send/receive SMS.

Your Messenger information is outdated as far as I know, you can register by phone number, find people in the app and message them without being friends. Also have a buddy who handles sms in messenger so I'm sure it can use contacts too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Everybody that I know or meet uses iMessage. Why would you need to download another app just to talk when you got one built in?

You don't. Some other apps are better than the pre-installed ones though. For example, WhatsApp lets you send photos etc to everyone over data, rather than using MMS messages for people who aren't on iPhones. It also has benefits like better group chat management and web/desktop clients, you can also message up to 256 people at a time if that's your thing.

I mean, my laptop came with IE installed, but I downloaded Chrome because I like the extra features. Obviously I don't have to get other people to download it to talk to them on the internet, but it's an example of wanting to use a different program to accomplish built in tasks in a better way.

I don't think your perfect record of only meeting people with iMessage is going to continue as it's a staggering coincidence, but if you don't want to talk to anyone on anything else then go right ahead and keep using iMessage, you'll probably be fine.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
WhatsApp.

99% of my contacts in Canada use WhatsApp, there's always that oddball sucker still using iMessage or SMS.

I live in Canada and don't know a single person who uses WhatsApp. Most people I know use Facebook Messenger or even Instagram.

OG Kush

Where on earth are these rich yuppie-ass communities where literally everyone has an iPhone? But I do get that it's a better app then the competition.

And what do I know, around here everyone just sends SMS/MMS from default Android messaging apps. Is that really that rare? Do the kids these days not say "text me" anymore? Do they say "WhatsApp® me bro!" and "Facebook Message® me bro!"? Is this a yelling-at-clouds thing?

24, living in London UK. My circle still say text me but we know it means whatsapp me. However when someone international arrives with no phone plan and need to use wifi, I'll say whatsapp me to differentiate between normal text and whatsapp. However to be fair I also do here "whatsapp me" in general from local people too.

That sounds like the perfect reason why one wants to switch to a universal app that works the same for everyone.
Instead people
buying the better smartphones
are getting shamed?

Well, better is subjective for a thousand reasons. In the end, as someone said, you're asking the vast majority of people in America to solve a problem they don't regularly encounter in order to make android users happy. It is selfish, but Apple made iMessage built in and removed any need for people to hunt for another app to send large media or read receipts, so America was pleased and Android was screwed.

I love using Messenger.com for this. Sometimes my friends get the message right away bc they have Messenger installed on their phones, other times they get it eventually on FB. It's not what I use for urgent communication, but this is a great option.

I know people here in Canadia that use predominately use Whatsapp, but def not the majority I know. Most get by fine with texts, and I mainly just use textra. Probably just the culture of texts costing absolutely nothing here to use/send.

Same for most of europe but WhatsApp or FB Messenger support everything ranging from sending just text to doing video calls on wifi or having a bunch of specific groups for chats, it's why people use it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have an iPhone and happily use WhatsApp over iMessage, so it's not just a "my phone's better than yours" argument between Apple and Android, there are reasons to use WhatsApp that aren't just not having iMessage as an alternative.

this_guy

Why don't all the Whatsapp people upgrade to the superior Telegram?

Is it because none of their contacts are on Telegram? Similar to how most Americans don't have contacts that use Whatsapp?

ITT a bunch of 20 somethings that share memes with groups of college buddies arguing with 30 somethings that just send 'k' to their wife.

Kinokou

I mean, my laptop came with IE installed, but I downloaded Chrome because I like the extra features. Obviously I don't have to get other people to download it to talk to them on the internet, but it's an example of wanting to use a different program to accomplish built in tasks in a better way.

This is pretty much the perfect analogy.

Newline

Also the US must be like the last major player to have not sorted out their messaging system. Europe and many others have adopted WhatsApp, Asia has taken on wechat.
24, living in London UK. My circle still say text me but we know it means whatsapp me. However when someone international arrives with no phone plan and need to use wifi, I'll say whatsapp me to differentiate between normal text and whatsapp. However to be fair I also do here "whatsapp me" in general from local people too.
Yep, "whatsapp me", "text me" or just "drop me a message".

I guess this must be the key factor apart from the apple hardon.
It was really a big deal in Europe back then. Several people at work or friends from other countries who wanted to text (without bankrupting themselves) with their friends and family back home just like they were used to before moving.
Also country borders are closer and while you don't even see the EU borders anymore, the network operators certainly do...

This is also true. (thankfully not anymore)

Imagine you can only use your unlimited phone data/sms/calls in 2-3 US states, everything else is overpriced roaming shit.

But still, whatsapp and similar apps simply offer way more than simple sms.

Why don't all the Whatsapp people upgrade to the superior Telegram?

Is it because none of their contacts are on Telegram? Similar to how most Americans don't have contacts that use Whatsapp?

Because Telegram doesn't do anything that is worth the change. Whatsapp has a killer feature when compared to iMessage - it works with Android!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
ITT a bunch of 20 somethings that share memes with groups of college buddies arguing with 30 somethings that just send 'k' to their wife.

What if I'm a 30 something that sends memes to my wife?

You're right though. People use things for different reasons and when you're an iPhone user who doesn't need to take advantage of the features that WhatsApp offers then there's no reason to switch. Stick with what works for you. iMessage has the advantage there in that if your friends use WhatsApp then they basically have to cut you out of their group chats or use SMS/iMessage instead.

I'm starting to not believing all you guys. I have met a couple of us girls in the last few days and they both use whatsapp.

You met US girls who were traveling, yes, they probably downloaded WhatsApp because they are traveling and they can text eachother and US friends/family pictures and messages over wifi for free.

Why isn't WhatsApp Messenger popular in the United States?
https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-WhatsApp-Messenger-popular-in-the-United-States

Why WhatsApp Bombed in the US
https://qz.com/487102/why-whatsapp-bombed-in-the-us-while-snapchat-and-kik-blew-up/

What do Ameircans Use Instead of WhatsApp?
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmerican/comments/693kal/what_do_americans_use_instead_of_whatsapp/

See, proof. WhatsApp is cool, just not the US norm. Makes getting an Android difficult, which is a shame since Pixel, S8+ and V30 are great hardware.

smoothj

Facebook messenger is the shiznit. It works great like message with your friends on and fam on FB and also works as an sms app. It's a one stop shop and I love it.

Haunted

Actually blows my mind that whatsapp isn't universally used in the US.

Sorry for the guys and gals stuck on inferior services. ;_;7

M3d10n

One question that might clear up Euroland on why so many Americans buy iPhones: do you mainly buy your phones from carriers, or from third parties? If the former, is there any bloatware?

Apple basically got an insanely good arrangement with US carriers when the iPhone 3G launched, where carriers would heavily subsidize the phones while tying them to long-term iPhone-specific phone contract plans. This means that, for most of Americans, the "sticker price" on a brand new iPhone was ~$200 (sometimes even less) for several years. Those kinds of deals never materialized on other countries in the same form, causing iPhones to be seen and marketed as luxury phones. The fact prepaid plans became very popular in most of Europe much earlier than the US also factors in this.

The deal was actually a bit to good for Apple and no-so-good for carriers, which is why they started to move away from it a couple years ago, which is why Apple created their installments payments program to prevent losing US costumers who owned iPhones for years but would never be able to pay $600+ for a brand new one up front.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Facebook messenger is the shiznit. It works great like message with your friends on and fam on FB and also works as an sms app. It's a one stop shop and I love it.

My brother isn't on Facebook though, so why would I use Facebook messenger to talk to him?

Kinokou

My brother isn't on Facebook though, so why would I use Facebook messenger to talk to him?

You don't need Facebook to use Messenger if that helps.

Edit: now I'm the one shilling messenger like I own stock, but I just didn't see the point of readding all my contacts by getting what's app.

Rur0ni

Nearly all major carriers are in the process of implementing RCS Universal Profile, which will improve the native texting experience quite a bit. It'll be a matter of Apple incorporating RCS into the iMessage app though so the world isn't stuck on SMS. See here.

We'll see if they decide not to be shitty.

M3d10n

Your Messenger information is outdated as far as I know, you can register by phone number, find people in the app and message them without being friends. Also have a buddy who handles sms in messenger so I'm sure it can use contacts too.

You're right, they did add the option to using a phone number and phone contacts directly. On Android it can send/receive SMS, but on iOS that's impossible, so if an iOS Messenger user sends a message to someone not on Messenger and gets a reply, the reply will show up on iMessage instead.

You don't need Facebook to use Messenger if that helps.

Edit: now I'm the one shilling messenger like I own stock, but I just didn't see the point of readding all my contacts by getting what's app.

You don't re-add contacts. WhatsApp uses phone numbers exclusively. People on your contacts list who have it installed will show up there automatically. Same goes for Telegram, Line, WeChat. That's how iMessage works under the hood too.

I didn't see an answer for it yet, but if I have WhatsApp and send a message to someone who doesn't have WhatsApp, what happens? Also what happens if that WhatsApp message has video and/or gifs and stuff?

Top Bottom