• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switching from Android to iOS

Shiggy

Except for America, yeah, everyone is using WhatsApp. It works fine, cross-platform, everyone has it. Why anyone would use iMessage is beyond me.

I mean, nobody is sending normal SMS anymore, so do iMessage users only have iOS friends?

Damon

You'll miss Androids openness and how sometimes on Android basic things are more easy to do than on iOS.

But other than that I dont necessarily miss Android.

Battery is still meh, outside of standby time.

I'd wait for the 8 due September time, which I hope improves battery massively.

I should have just waited a year instead of getting my 7, but will likely pick up the 8 later this year providing my finances are good lol

You'll miss Androids openness and how sometimes on Android basic things are more easy to do than on iOS.

But other than that I dont necessarily miss Android.

Battery is still meh, outside of standby time.

I'd wait for the 8 due September time, which I hope improves battery massively.

I should have just waited a year instead of getting my 7, but will likely pick up the 8 later this year providing my finances are good lol
Yeah, iPhone users say "outstanding battery life", of course, that is if your phone is doing absolutely nothing. Start doing stuff and you'll see that the battery just vanishes in no time.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, iPhone users say "outstanding battery life", of course, that is if your phone is doing absolutely nothing. Start doing stuff and you'll see that the battery just vanishes in no time.

The 7 Plus gets two days during normal use, the only Android phone that ever managed that for me was the Xperia Z3, for the first two months of use.

superbeau

Neo Member
Yeah, my point is that this is probably not a thing that bothers iPhone users. I feel like we're all in agreement.

Yeah, you can swipe back through an app but not to a different app unless you press and swipe to go back to your previous app. Won't work without 3D Touch though. Otherwise that button in the top left *should* always be there. Reachability helps it but something lower would be more convenient

Aiii

So not worth it
SOT? And do you have any comparable Android phone? Like, not a phone from 2014.

Screen brightness at 70% dynamic, 35 hours standby, 7:24 SOT with 27% battery left atm.

If you don't think that's outstanding battery life for a smartphone, I'm good with that, I have no dog in this fight.

Enco

Except for America, yeah, everyone is using WhatsApp. It works fine, cross-platform, everyone has it. Why anyone would use iMessage is beyond me.
iMessage is built into the default messaging app, is better designed, has the backup of sending via SMS if someone doesn't have a connection and works with no hassle.

Literally no reason to use WhatsApp when someone has iMessage.

I was actually thinking of switching from iOS to Android this year. Had iPhones for the last 4 years (currently using an iPhone 6) and fancy a change. I like my iPhones, but I'm just curious about Android.

grmlin

iMessage is built into the default messaging app, is better designed, has the backup of sending via SMS if someone doesn't have a connection and works with no hassle.

the fucking mess google created with all it's chat apps was one reason to switch tbh. Every year the did something new, integrated SMS into this or that, bah. And on top of that there always was another app made by the phone manufacturer. I still don't know why anybody would want like 10 apps that do the same thing.

oti

Banned

During my studies (in Germany) you either used WhatsApp or you didn't exist.

superbeau

Neo Member
the fucking mess google created with all it's chat apps was one reason to switch tbh. Every year the did something new, integrated SMS into this or that, bah. And on top of that there always was another app made by the phone manufacturer. I still don't know why anybody would want like 10 apps that do the same thing.

At least that new message app Google is making will replace the stock SMS app. It'll be Stock, Messager, Hangouts, and Allo. (That I know of) I don't know why they want to make 4 messages apps but bless them for keeping busy

Novocaine

At least that new message app Google is making will replace the stock SMS app. It'll be Stock, Messager, Hangouts, and Allo. (That I know of) I don't know why they want to make 4 messages apps but bless them for keeping busy

Hangouts can also do SMS. I found it annoying though.

Right but you can pretty much use Whatsapp on anything. You don't need an Apple device. Some reasons many use Whatsapp is because of the MMS limitations of the carriers and the cost of data. If I send a picture or video through AT&T SMS/MMS it gets compressed to hell before sending or it doesn't get sent at all. I can use Whatsapp on wifi as well so that helps people on limited data plans. Not everyone can afford an Apple device or wants one so Whatsapp is pretty much the best platform agnostic option. If Apple wanted to they could open up iMessage to other platforms and even if it cost money I'm sure many people would pay for it. They did it for Apple Music.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am so confused with this iMessage posts. i dont understand what it is. I exclusively use FB messenger and whats app. Can someone tell me how iMessage can be beneficial to me?

superbeau

Neo Member
I am so confused with this iMessage posts. i dont understand what it is. I exclusively use FB messenger and whats app. Can someone tell me how iMessage can be beneficial to me?

mainly if you're messaging another iMessage user you can do a bunch of fun, cute stuff

https://youtu.be/Y6qYNgBTPUs

Some things are still available if you're chatting with an sms user, like image search and the like. I don't think its anything other messaging apps don't have but it comes stock. Most everyone around me uses FB Messenger, but I'll be damned if I install that battery killer on my phone. The stats say lots of people use it but I pretty much only msg my girlfriend on it. Everyone else I know uses Android. Its the perfect dopey fun time messager for ppl close to you on iPhone, but I think for everyone its FBM, WhatsApp, Line, etc.

Damon

Screen brightness at 70% dynamic, 35 hours standby, 7:24 SOT with 27% battery left atm.

If you don't think that's outstanding battery life for a smartphone, I'm good with that, I have no dog in this fight.

When you say SOT?
Do you mean "Usage Time" from battery stats because thats not the same as SOT.

No, that's pretty good.
My cell phone with dynamic brightness, cellular data, GPS on for hours nets me 6 hours (on) SOT, 20 hours stand by, and 20% remaining battery.

grmlin

they will release another app? lol

Sorry, this is just really really bad. I love most of the google products, and I like Android, but this is ridiculous.

Caayn

Why does Google need so many chat apps? Sounds like a mess.

M3d10n

In any country where Android is the market leader iMessage is useless because the odds of it falling back to SMS or MMS become too great, which means you not only lose all sorts of features like delivery and reading confirmation, being able to send images larger than 300KB, being able to send video, you also risk being unknowingly charged since MMS costs extra in most countries (to the point It would be cheaper to burn a DVD and mail it if you send a dozen or so pictures). That's why 3rd party messaging apps like Whatsapp, Line and WeChat dominate in those countries.

That's Android users for you fam.

Can confirm. I've been using Android since Cupcake and battery has never not been a struggle. I used to care about shit like that all the time but realized it wasn't worth my time. Nowadays the only important thing for an Android phone is replaceable battery. I'll always get shit battery life but being able to double it within 15 seconds of a swap is more important than anything they could ever do with software or UI. Quick charge is also great; getting 50% battery in 20-30 minutes is witchcraft

The only good thing about iOS is imessage. Beyond that I always come back to android. I just wish google would make some kind of advance in texting. the 300kb image limit and character limit is old.

Damon

God, I so do not care about any of this.

It lasts two days for me on a single charge, that's good for me.

I didnt say you had to?

I was merely pointing out Usage Time =/= SOT, which is very commonly thought to be the same.

Thats great if your 7 Plus lasts you 2 days.

My usual 7 doesn't, our experience differs thats fine, no need to get your panties in a twist.

GeekyDad

I switched from iPhone (since the 3S) to Android here recently, and all I can say is, I sure do miss my iPhone. After about three months, I'm just not very impressed with Android. I'm sure for some folks, there's a lot to mine here, but I just prefer the interface, usability, features, apps...of iOS. Additionally, I'm being advertised to now on my lock screen -- something that never happened before. Maybe it's a Sprint thing, I don't know. Just moved from AT&T to Sprint. But never had that crap on my iPhone.

DOWN

Banned
OP, any plans on buying a new car? You'll be missing out on Android Auto. I just rented a car with Android Auto in it and now I'm not going to buy a car without it.

I have an iPhone and it's honestly night and day, I don't even bother with notifications on the iPhone because of how shitty the experience is. The fact that you can interact with notifications straight from the notification shade is just bliss(ie. Replying to a whatsapp text without having to open the app).

Just little things like a notification on your lock screen not disappearing until you explicitly clear it makes Android feel so much better.
Uh Android Auto is just a delayed response to iOS CarPlay which has fantastic support

I switched from iPhone (since the 3S) to Android here recently, and all I can say is, I sure do miss my iPhone. After about three months, I'm just not very impressed with Android. I'm sure for some folks, there's a lot to mine here, but I just prefer the interface, usability, features, apps...of iOS. Additionally, I'm being advertised to now on my lock screen -- something that never happened before. Maybe it's a Sprint thing, I don't know. Just moved from AT&T to Sprint. But never had that crap on my iPhone.
What phone? Are you getting notification advertisements?

So an uncle of mine decided to gift me his Iphone 7 plus. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S6. I've never been much of an apple guy but should I hop over? I game a lot on my phone so I really just gravitate towards better performance.

KillLaCam

Banned
So an uncle of mine decided to gift me his Iphone 7 plus. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S6. I've never been much of an apple guy but should I hop over? I game a lot on my phone so I really just gravitate towards better performance.

Yeah that's a good upgrade, especially because of the screen size. I'd go for it

iMessage.
Security.

I love Google. I occasionally think about going back. But at this point I just refuse to leave iMessage. For the life of me, I hope Apple has some IP on it, because how can't Google replicate it?

We sometimes don't include non-iOS people in group chats just so they don't break the blue.

Never break the blue ;)

Top Bottom