• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

Mivey

Still, it's a bit disappointing for a game like this. Kickstarter obviously isn't quite what it was for video games a few years ago but System Shock is like the PC game and they seem to be doing everything right with the KS, more than almost any other developer. Looks like that 1.7m Goal will be pretty difficult to reach.
It's really, really niche. I think the other thing is that outside of a few developers who have gathered a KS "following", most will probably never reach a multi-million dollar level, no matter what they do. That hype is just gone, and I think that was inevitable. Also, even if this game only gets the 900K goal (I think it will reach more, actually) it would still be a really great game, from what I saw in the demo.

Yeah, it would be great if they'd use UE4 instead of Unity. I'm tired of Unity.

Is it because they'll make more of a profit using Unity?

It's really, really niche. I think the other thing is that outside of a few developers who have gathered a KS "following", most will probably never reach a multi-million dollar level, no matter what they do. That hype is just gone, and I think that was inevitable. Also, even if this game only gets the 900K goal (I think it will reach more, actually) it would still be a really great game, from what I saw in the demo.

Yeah, Kickstarter seems to be going downhill and I can understand why. No game is ever released on time and some aren't released at all. It sucks because Night Dive Studios seems awesome and they deserve to hit all of their stretch goals for this classic game.

derFeef

Yeah, it would be great if they'd use UE4 instead of Unity. I'm tired of Unity.

And I am tired of people thinking an engine switch would magically turn up performance and polish.
I would rather have them invest the time in improving the tech they have now.

seph1roth

It would be a success if this games reaches 1,2 million till the end of the kickstarter.

In fact, i prefer this, because i don't want those rpg elements of the 1,4 million goal. If this is a remaster, this has to be like the original game in terms of base design.

coughlanio

It would be a success if this games reaches 1,2 million till the end of the kickstarter.

In fact, i prefer this, because i don't want those rpg elements of the 1,4 million goal. If this is a remaster, this has to be like the original game in terms of base design.

It'll likely hit closer to 2 million given how projects tend to track in the last few days.

coughlanio

And I am tired of people thinking an engine switch would magically turn up performance and polish.
I would rather have them invest the time in improving the tech they have now.

Exactly, and Unity Pro will allow them to turn on Occlusion Culling which should greatly help performance.

Mivey

Exactly, and Unity Pro will allow them to turn on Occlusion Culling which should greatly help performance.
They are limiting that to the paid version? I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how they are run by the former CEO of EA, but still.

OBias

They are limiting that to the paid version? I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how they are run by the former CEO of EA, but still.

I think they have changed their business model recently, and this feature is no longer limited to the paid version.

pa22word

I prefer no filtering on textures.

EIther that or offer an option for those who have inferior tastes (trilinear bleh).

I mean at the end of the day it's 2016. Anyone who can't be assed to force it via GPU control panel probably doesn't care that much if it's there anyways.

Oni Jazar

Here's the problem:

We understand this is a pretty vague term and has been confusing to backers. The original System Shock was ahead of its time and introduced a lot of new elements to gaming. We want to preserve that innovation and present a game we feel modern gamers will enjoy. Our goal is to have the gameplay somewhere between System Shock 1 and System Shock 2, with sprinkles of BioShock on top (rich melee attacks and ranged weapons, vending machines, upgrades, and damage types). If there’s enough of a demand, we’ll add a “Classic Mode” to one of the stretch goals that disables all RPG stuff as an option.

Sounds like they are changing the base game by default and would "possibly" add a stretch goal for "Classic Mode". That's ridiculous. It punishes the most loyal fans of the game behind a larger pay wall. :(

MaLDo

I mean at the end of the day it's 2016. Anyone who can't be assed to force it via GPU control panel probably doesn't care that much if it's there anyways.

Can you force bilinear filtering in textures using control panel? I don't think so.

Filtering ruins the game look. Result is blurry and wrong versus unfiltered textures.

Running away from Unity is always a good run. Moon Studios needed two game releases to fix Ori and the blind forest hitching. I can't think of another dev using Unity with a higher budget than Moon.

Sloane

Banned
Well, it's not more niche than, I don't know, Wasteland or something and I kinda thought that there was more of a thirst for System Shock(-like games) among long time PC gamers -- but, yeah, the Kickstarter hype is definitely gone.

RedSwirl

Every game needs to have an option for zero texture filtering. Just let me have the straight-up software-rendered Quake look.

phant0m

Still, it's a bit disappointing for a game like this. Kickstarter obviously isn't quite what it was for video games a few years ago but System Shock is like the PC game and they seem to be doing everything right with the KS, more than almost any other developer. Looks like that 1.7m Goal will be pretty difficult to reach.

Not Night Dive's fault at all here, but gamers can only get burned so many times. Shame too because they put out the demo and reaction has been generally positive.

Eusis

Not Night Dive's fault at all here, but gamers can only get burned so many times. Shame too because they put out the demo and reaction has been generally positive.
People still went nuts with Bloodstained/Yooka Laylee/Shenmue III despite how cases like Mighty No. 9 were looking disappointing (and since the game was effectively done around that period it was a time we could tell.)

I think it's just kind of the same issue Underworld faced in that a smaller group of people were interested in the first place despite the cult classic status they held, and it was an older, less active IP; 2D Castlevania stayed active to, uhh, 2009 I think it was, whereas System Shock 2 was 1999 and Bioshock drew a largely separate base in the end. Hell, it probably still went faster than Underworld, which was in a worse situation being a followup to one of the primordial first person RPGs. Hell, I half suspect that half of the people in for Kickstarters like those two are people who APPRECIATE the concept but can't bring themselves to really get into the originals as they got too archaic, especially Underworld (SS2's relatively OK there.)

EDIT: Though I have to admit coming RIGHT after MN9 came out might have put more people into a "see, Kickstarter's a waste of time!" mentality ignoring the games that did well and are shaping up well (Bloodstained's demo leaves me hungry for more and left many of us faithful it'll fill the Igavania niche.)

Here's the problem:

Sounds like they are changing the base game by default and would "possibly" add a stretch goal for "Classic Mode". That's ridiculous. It punishes the most loyal fans of the game behind a larger pay wall. :(

rich melee attacks and ranged weapons, vending machines, upgrades, and damage types

The only one of these not present in the original is the vending machines, which would hardly be an intrusive change.

The streams have crossed, but in a bad way.
7XrKABU.png
Really can't put a good estimate on this KS's final numbers until we see if we've hit the floor level already, or its even lower. Unless something changes this will be a pretty front heavy Kickstarter, with likely 45% + of the funds coming in from the first 3 days.

Update regarding the sound.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1621372

Plenty of restraint will have to be used on the score, to keep the atmosphere of the game intact. It is important to avoid a more arcadey, extreme approach like other games (see DOOM), but there are points in the game in which it could fit, if used sparingly.

We have received a lot of feedback when it comes to the balance of electronic and orchestral elements in the soundtrack, and fans who feel very strongly about both directions. I'd like to clear things up and put fans' minds at ease. We are planning to have many more electronic elements in the score for the final game than we have in the demo. While we feel that porting the original music over would run counter to our vision, we don't intend to lose the Cyberpunk feeling of the game by neglecting to reflect that Cyberpunkness in the music. We believe it is possible to retain a strong atmosphere, while incorporating many synthetic elements in the soundtrack.

. . .

A few people have asked about VO for System Shock. Yes, Terri Brosius is reprising her role as SHODAN, and yes, she still sounds spot-on for the part after 20 years. Just listen to her voice in the Kickstarter video! We have also been working with some new talent for the project. In the demo you heard Rachael Messer, a newcomer to the Shock series, acting wonderfully as Rebecca Lansing. The original System Shock was one of the first games with full VO, and in the same vein we don't want to settle for anything less than exceptional acting in System Shock.

. . .

Lastly, I'm very excited to talk about the remix album stretch goal for the project. We have a roster of talented musicians on board to help us remix the original System Shock 1 OST.

The first artist that I would like to reveal that we are working with is none other than Robotkid (Josh Randall) of the original System Shock 2 music team. We know that there are a ton of fans of the System Shock 2 music and of Robotkid's style throughout it.

I have been working with the programming department in the game to try to get this remix album in the game as an alternative or unlockable mode for the game
. Nothing confirmed on this yet, as it is a lot of programming work to make it happen, but do know that we are trying to make this work for people who want a more nostalgic experience than a modern one.

derFeef

Yay for Synth music!
The kickstarter is gaining money slower than I thought it would, very surprising. Not sure we can reach interesting stretch goals.

maybe wrong time of year.....afterall it's vacation time....otherwise it's weird it's not yet backed. i would back, but only if it comes to PS4.

pledged 30$ :)

didn't knew you can cancel any time hehe

Kvik

Update: New $100 Tier, + Physical Art Book

We have added a new tier to the Kickstarter. The $100 Tier contains all of the goodies that can be found inside the $75 Tier (a physical copy of the game in a Steel Case, Closed Beta Access and Digital Copies of System Shock 1 and 2) with the addition of a great Artbook, put together by our friends at Arms and Anchor!

If you would like the Art Book by itself, we will have a system in place to purchase addons for your pledged tier in the upcoming weeks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1623513

Will up my pledge when I'm finished posting.

Shredderi

Hmm. Maybe it wouldn't be all that bad for a kickstarter project funding not get ballooned for once. Higher chances for the game to release in a timely manner and with a cohesive vision with all the attention given to the very core aspects of the game.

Eusis

Hmm. Maybe it wouldn't be all that bad for a kickstarter project funding not get ballooned for once. Higher chances for the game to release in a timely manner and with a cohesive vision with all the attention given to the very core aspects of the game.
That depends. Some of those that fail to meet their goal have serious issues with development because they're underfunded.

I think that has smarter stretch goals too from what I see, so it'd probably be for the best to actually meet those.

WTF the demo literally locks up on the start screen where it says to press the space bar. Anyone have this problem? Know any fixes?

Shredderi

That depends. Some of those that fail to meet their goal have serious issues with development because they're underfunded.

I think that has smarter stretch goals too from what I see, so it'd probably be for the best to actually meet those.

Well I would of course hope that all kickstarter projects set the first goal so that they can finish the project comfortably.

Eusis

I wouldn't be surprised if what happened with Mighty N.9 has made people a bit wary of kickstarter for a while.
I imagine that hasn't had THAT large of an effect for a game like this, but it probably didn't help.

It was a dumb cry from people though. It delivered a middling game, but it wasn't TOO outrageous relative to other (often delayed) disappointments, and by then we were seeing other Kickstarter games come out and be awesome, and for Bloodstained's own demo to be a counterpoint to show Inticreates CAN make a solid game with someone else at the helm.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'm surprised this isn't funded yet. Kinda disappointing that there's not more hype for this game :/.

I thought the demo was rubbish so I wouldn't back on that alone, and since I never played the series I have no loyalty to it, I guess a lot of people feel the same way.

dogen

I thought the demo was rubbish so I wouldn't back on that alone, and since I never played the series I have no loyalty to it, I guess a lot of people feel the same way.

I've played the original games, and that doesn't change my opinion of the demo at all. It thought it was crap lol.

Eusis

A little surprising, but I figured that most people like myself are much more fond of System Shock 2. Is that not the case?
And you wouldn't be happy about SS1 being brought to the standard of 2 (or beyond it, as subjective as that will be)?

Though given there's people who'd rather Super Metroid were remade rather than Metroid 2 getting the Zero Mission treatment it wouldn't surprise me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is actually doing pretty good in the current climate. Kickstarter has a bit of a stigma around it these days, and it isnt quite as exciting to back something as it once was, since we all live in a post KS release world and have gotten used to it. They should be fairly happy that they will probably be funded with 17-18 full days left to reach stretch goals, along with the usual last days push.

For people saying the demo was rubbish, i mean get real people, it was a prototype to get people on board and actually in that context was fairly impressive in what it did. Most KS games dont have playable things on day one, in fact almost all dont.

I backed it and i hope they can react accordingly to the lack/excess of funds their expectations afforded them. I really cant know, every KS is grateful for everything.

Eusis

Yeah, the demo was a hint of a promising finished game. Criticism is fair game but mainly as a means to get them to know what we may want changed for the final release to be a better game, not as a reason to write it off.

And the trick with full screen launch via Steam parameters stopped the hitching issues I had, so as long as that can be a feature for the final release I'll probably be Ok (and hopefully have an upgraded desktop by then anyway.)

Top Bottom