• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T-Mobile announces Digits: one phone number for all your devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Article

digits.0.gif

Video
T-Mobile just revealed its answer to AT&T’s NumberSync technology, which lets customers use one phone number across all their connected devices. T-Mobile’s version is called Digits and it will launch in a limited, opt-in customer beta beginning today before rolling out to everyone early next year.

“You can make and take calls and texts on whatever device is most convenient,” the company said in its press release. “Just log in and, bam, your call history, messages and even voicemail are all there. And it’s always your same number, so when you call or text from another device, it shows up as you.” When it leaves beta, Digits will cost an extra monthly fee, but T-Mobile isn’t revealing pricing today. “This is not going to be treated as adding another line to your account,” said COO Mike Sievert. “Expect us to be disruptive here.”

while its main feature is one number for everything, Digits does offer T-Mobile customers another big perk: multiple numbers on the same device. This will let you swap between personal and work numbers without having to maintain separate lines and accounts. You can also give out an “extra set” of Digits in situations where you might be hesitant to give someone your primary number; this temporary number forwards to your devices like any other call.

In some ways, this sounds like an evolved take on Google Voice. “Businesses can give their employees Digits to use on their personal smartphones — even if those phones are on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint,” T-Mobile says. And a single Digits number can also be set up to ring multiple people at once. Like Google Voice. Some account relationship with T-Mobile will be required to use Digits on other carriers.

- I like that you get multiple numbers

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sounds like Apples Continuity feature. Except that that works with any carrier but I don't believe it works with Windows or Android.

____

Exactly

ID prefer they focus on their abysmal coverage first.

Really?

I left Sprint (literally have never experienced worse coverage, dropped calls, spotty connections, slow and shitty "4G" "LTE" internet, ghost voicemails, hours-late and never-gonna-come-through texts) for T-Mobile and could not be happier. Lower price per month, never had an issue with coverage or service, and just overall they've just been amazing.

Could be the area, but I also travel and haven't had issues elsewhere, so idk.

Don't want to hijack the thread but is T-Mobile a decent carrier? Been wanting to move away from Verizon's price gouging but I'm not really familiar with the quality of the other carriers.

RuGalz

Google Voice + Hangout is still better since it works on my computer and not just devices and it's free. But competition is good.

Hangouts already does this if you're on Android, but still, pretty neat. My phone calls show up on my phone, tablet, PC, and Mac, with my normal number.

ZOONAMI

Now you can have dropped calls on all your devices.

Exactly

ID prefer they focus on their abysmal coverage first.

T-mobile is very close to catching Verizon in coverage and their lte speeds are better.

I can't complain with a $40/mo unlimited talk/text and 6GB lte plan.

Even with the $70 one plan they are cheaper than any other unlimited plan other than sprint (pretty much same cost iirc, and sprint is complete shit in comparison).

Quonny

Don't want to hijack the thread but is T-Mobile a decent carrier? Been wanting to move away from Verizon's price gouging but I'm not really familiar with the quality of the other carriers.

Depends on your area.

I drove to my mother-in-laws place across 400 miles across Indiana and Illinois and had service on Verizon 99% of the time. I switched to T-Mobile there because a friend worked at the T-Mobile store there and I wanted to do an experiment. I did the same trip back from my mother-in-laws and had service maybe 50% of the time. Immediately called and canceled and switched back.

Breads

Banned
Awesome. Wonder how long it's going to take for people to use this technology to completely invalidate 2FA by intercepting passwords meant to be sent to phones.

lyrick

My google fi/voice account already does this and forwards calls out to auxiliary numbers (like my office and home phone too).

Depends on your area.

I drove to my mother-in-laws place across 400 miles across Indiana and Illinois and had service on Verizon 99% of the time. I switched to T-Mobile there because a friend worked at the T-Mobile store there and I wanted to do an experiment. I did the same trip back from my mother-in-laws and had service maybe 50% of the time. Immediately called and canceled and switched back.

Oof, well as an Illinois resident I guess that answers that for me. Thanks.

edit: And I also use iPhone.

reKon

Banned
Depends on your area.

Actually, it depends more on your phone believe it or not.

What device were you using during this experiment.

Check coverage map and maybe ask around... I switched 1-2 years ago from Verizon and have no regrets. My coverage is actually superior to Verizon and I pay less.

This would be amazing if I could use my T Mobile number in Canada on my Rogers phone. I just moved here and am looking for a simple solution. They only let you use it in a foreign country for so long.

ZOONAMI

Depends on your area.

When did you do this trip? T-mobile has been spending tons of money to expand coverage.

Look at t-mobiles coverage map.

Unless you were driving on some serious backroads you should have had coverage.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Apparently the opt-in page is fucked and showing random user data.

Did you not do any internal testing on this TMobile?

Damaniel

Banned

Depends on where you live, but I have no problems with it to speak of. Coverage gets a bit spotty when you get too far away from civilization, but I have to get pretty rural before I lose all coverage. For overall coverage, Verizon wins by a mile, but I switched back to T-Mobile from them because I felt like I was getting gouged - especially for data.

The WiFi calling feature is definitely nice, too. I have pretty crappy reception in my house due to its design, but my Nexus 6P works perfectly fine with T-Mobile's WiFi calling out of the box.

reKon

Banned
iPhone 5.

Yep that's what I thought. The iPhone 5 doesn't have 12 band LTE coverage. You're in for a surprise because T-Mobile's LTE is excellent. You just need a phone that's certified with with 12 band LTE to take advantage of T-Mobile's extended range LTE. Most newer flagships are and even some great chinese phones like the Honor 8 have it. This covers 97% of the area that Verizon does, with faster speeds!

Before I had an Xperia Z3 Compact and would frequently travel between IL and MI, not having data for 30% of the trip. It was the main reason I decided to upgrade and pick up the Galaxy S7. It was quite liberating.

Check this out: http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom