• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata comments on Final Fantasy XV for Nintendo Switch, currently no plan

kswiston

Clock per clock, yes. But Switch CPU is rumoured to have twice less cores, at a 40% slower clock, it seems to be lagging behind.

High end mobile devices also have terrible battery life when running at capacity. Much worse than the 2.5-3 hours people complain about for the switch. That was probably a factor in capping CPU speed.

Waji

How about we start focusing on the games that are coming to Switch? It'll save us a lot of time.

A shame though. A JRPG like this on the go would he awesome. Especially with sleep mode.
There are far better ones coming on the Switch so we're not losing much anyway.

DMONKUMA

Maybe it was NateDrake. I know for sure somebody was mentioning this repeatedly on Twitter, as well as FFVII remake.

It might have been a random person claiming that as I definitely don't recall Laura, Nate or even Emily claiming anything about the FF games. Maybe you got it confused with someone saying since FFVII RE is on Unreal engine that it could be easy to port. Idk.

Jonnax

Wow.
You're actually doubling down on that and saying its worse for games than an ipad?

.... No. I'm saying they're in the same ballpark of processing power as a tablet which is still an order of magnitude away from a PS4 and Xbox One.

Sure Nvidia's advantage in the ARM space is GPU power. But the PS4 can consume 130W of power because it's plugged in, not constrained by size for cooling and doesn't have a battery.

On the high end the Switch will consume a 1/10th of that.

The switch is a mobile games console. Can the iphone run RE:Revelations? Sounds like you don't know much about hardware capabilities or game design.

To be fair, I don't either, but I have worked with Android and IOS development (not games) and been in the industry for a long time.

The Switch and its tools were designed specifically around game development. Android and iPad hardware is designed around general purpose computing. It's very capable hardware, but the OS is designed for it to run a lot of tasks at the same time, and there's a lot more overhead there. The Switch has a similar architecture, but no where near the overhead, and is not limited to the API's available in android and IOS.

Yeah, you're right. There are significant overheads with IOS and Android and games on the Switch will look better by virtue of this as well as the single SKU. My point is more that the Switch is in the same category of performance as a tablet versus a console.

Using DQ heroes 2 as a benchmark for Switch is ridiculous considering A) The first game running on Switch looks better and B) Fire Emblem Warriors by the same developer,on the same engine looks a lot better.

DQ Heroes looks like a port of the Vita version.

Not saying porting XV to the Switch will happen, but regarding your example with DQ Heroes, that's less a downgrade because of hardware and more then trying to fit two games in a 16 GB launch cart.

Ah, I wasn't aware. Have any screenshots/videos of multiplatform titles other than this come out?

this boggles my mind.

everyone with just a bit of common sense and intelligence would know that AAA games on PS4/X1 are not possible on tablet based hardware like the switch.

yet there they go the interviewers:

"Dear Dev, we absolutely need to ask, will you bring your huge open world game that barely runs properly on high-spec'd consoles to the tablet based Switch?"

Devs be like "what the fuck man? what are you aiming at with that question?"

So then what's Steep? Or NBA2K18?

Oregano

Clock per clock, yes. But Switch CPU is rumoured to have twice less cores, at a 40% slower clock, it seems to be lagging behind.

I was more referring to Apple's custom ARM cores which I'm fairly sure smoke the Jaguar, to say nothing of how they compare to A57s.

Infest

So then what's Steep? Or NBA2K18?
1302.jpg

It's funny to me that everyone is still assuming the Switch uses a Tegra X1 when the only actual official information we have (from Nvidia) states that this is a custom chip, so not the Tegra X1.

How about we talk about them when we see actual gameplays of those.
For all matters they could be cancelled and buried in deep if Switch fails hard

Fair enough, but if they do release that will be undeniable proof that PS4/XB1 AAA ports can run on the Switch. Given Ubisoft's track record with Nintendo I'd be fairly surprised if Steep didn't release. And NBA2K18 was just announced to be releasing day and date with the other versions.

Absolutely serious. He claimed that anyone with any sense would know any AAA PS4/XB1 port is not possible on the Switch. Is Steep suddenly not AAA?

Obviously the story could be different for other, bigger types of games, but he made a very broad statement there which is incorrect.

Malakai

Square will throw Nintendo some bones and I guess that is all we can expect. I'm still wondering if Square will ever give a Nintendo system any kind of decent support...

Square will throw Nintendo some bones and I guess that is all we can expect. I'm still wondering if Square will ever give a Nintendo system any kind of decent support...
I think that all depends on if Nintendo ever makes a console that has the tech and the market share to make it worth SE's while.

routerbad

Banned
.... No. I'm saying they're in the same ballpark of processing power as a tablet which is still an order of magnitude away from a PS4 and Xbox One.

Sure Nvidia's advantage in the ARM space is GPU power. But the PS4 can consume 130W of power because it's plugged in, not constrained by size for cooling and doesn't have a battery.

On the high end the Switch will consume a 1/10th of that.

The whole point of smaller CPU process sizes is power efficiency. You're making very strange arguments that aren't based in the reality of computing and processor design.

Obviously the PS4 is more powerful. It has a GPU that has more raw power than the switch, and there's little reason to argue that point.

Arguing that it's just a tablet makes no sense. It's a gaming device. It has been designed around that purpose. If you were to re-purpose the chips in an ipad and build tools that allow access to the bare metal and remove all of the iOS overhead I'm sure it would be a competitive mobile gaming device.

So then why are all mobile games designed around a simpler visual aesthetic? They simply don't have the available memory and storage in all available configurations to guarantee that it would hit the widest audience. If the iPad came with physical controls, a way to take in game media, and a certain level of in built storage to make sure that most games would be able to be stored, you'd see a lot more games that would rival the PS4 in terms of presentation. It's not just the chips, it's the entire package. What makes the Switch competitive is not just that it has a powerful tegra SoC, it's the joycon, the screen capability, the internal storage and RAM available to games, Nvidia developed dev tools built to make gaming software, the ability to dock and upclock. You can build a PC with about the same graphical capability available to developers (after OS overhead) and it would run pretty much any game today available on PC at some level. It's not just the chips it's how they're packaged and what play styles it offers the customer.

Oregano

I think that all depends on if Nintendo ever makes a console that has the tech and the market share to make it worth SE's while.

Square Enix have six games announced for Switch. Two of them are mainline Dragon Quests and one of them is a brand new (seemingly exclusive) IP.

this boggles my mind.

everyone with just a bit of common sense and intelligence would know that AAA games on PS4/X1 are not possible on tablet based hardware like the switch.

yet there they go the interviewers:

"Dear Dev, we absolutely need to ask, will you bring your huge open world game that barely runs properly on high-spec'd consoles to the tablet based Switch?"

Devs be like "what the fuck man? what are you aiming at with that question?"

They aim for headlines like:

"Game XXX is not coming to Switch, producer said he would more likely made an android game than a game for Nintendos new hardware."

Because clicks, you know.

Is the PS3 more powerful than the switch (serious question)?

No. The Switch is a good deal stronger than the Wii U, which was already stronger overall than the PS3.

Dragon Quest is arguably as important as Final Fantasy to Square Enix. Even still they are much more than one brand.

The better point is that they have no western games announced.

I think that (the lack of western games) is the big question mark here. SE clearly sees the Switch taking off in Japan in a big way, but western support will depend on adoption rate over here.

routerbad

Banned
Yeah, you're right. There are significant overheads with IOS and Android and games on the Switch will look better by virtue of this as well as the single SKU. My point is more that the Switch is in the same category of performance as a tablet versus a console.

The PS4 and XB1 both use SoC's with APU's designed for mobile devices. They just happen to use an X86 instruction set rather than ARM.

The Tegra is similar, just ARM based rather than x86. At max clocks the X1 would absolutely rival the XB1 and PS4. Nintendo is using a custom chip. We don't really know what it's true capabilities are, but even if it were a bone stock X1, it would still be competitive if it ran at max clocks docked. What we know of the clocks says that they're more likely not running at max clocks.

komorebi

Is this really gonna be a constant thing? Later this year is some idiot going to ask Rockstar if they're porting RDR2 to Switch? Why do people want ultra gimped and pared back versions of these games.

The problem for a port is not Switch hardware, it is capable of running FFXV.

It's the engine of this game, because it is probably the last time Square used it and the effort of porting this dying engine to another hardware is to big.

Jonnax

The whole point of smaller CPU process sizes is power efficiency. You're making very strange arguments that aren't based in the reality of computing and processor design.

Obviously the PS4 is more powerful. It has a GPU that has more raw power than the switch, and there's little reason to argue that point.

Arguing that it's just a tablet makes no sense. It's a gaming device. It has been designed around that purpose. If you were to re-purpose the chips in an ipad and build tools that allow access to the bare metal and remove all of the iOS overhead I'm sure it would be a competitive mobile gaming device.

So then why are all mobile games designed around a simpler visual aesthetic? They simply don't have the available memory and storage in all available configurations to guarantee that it would hit the widest audience. If the iPad came with physical controls, a way to take in game media, and a certain level of in built storage to make sure that most games would be able to be stored, you'd see a lot more games that would rival the PS4 in terms of presentation. It's not just the chips, it's the entire package. What makes the Switch competitive is not just that it has a powerful tegra SoC, it's the joycon, the screen capability, the internal storage and RAM available to games, Nvidia developed dev tools built to make gaming software, the ability to dock and upclock. You can build a PC with about the same graphical capability available to developers (after OS overhead) and it would run pretty much any game today available on PC at some level. It's not just the chips it's how they're packaged and what play styles it offers the customer.

I'm not denying any of what you're saying.

My point simply is that getting FFXV to run on the consoles was a significant engineering effort. Porting it down to a mobile SoC is extremely unlikely in view of the gulf in performance.

My argument about power consumption was a general one. Of course it's not going to be a 1/10th as powerful but there's a gulf of power between the two. Especially since the game will need to run at whatever the battery downclock is.

Of course the Switch will have a better gaming experience than an iPad and I wasn't arguing that, I'm just saying that the SoC is a tablet SoC and so expectations need to to checked.

I'm sure with Unreal 4 on the Switch there will be many ports.

The PS4 and XB1 both use SoC's with APU's designed for mobile devices. They just happen to use an X86 instruction set rather than ARM.

The Tegra is similar, just ARM based rather than x86. At max clocks the X1 would absolutely rival the XB1 and PS4. Nintendo is using a custom chip. We don't really know what it's true capabilities are, but even if it were a bone stock X1, it would still be competitive if it ran at max clocks docked. What we know of the clocks says that they're more likely not running at max clocks.

I was under the impression that the Jaguar was a laptop part rather than a mobile/tablet one.
The Nvidia shield TV utilises the X1. But I've not heard much in terms of it 's performance. But isn't that just the CPU side of things. The PS4 and Xbox one have significantly more powerful GPUs.

With the Switch games have to run on the baseline which is when it's undocked so that's what ported games need to target to run.

Halabane

They are going in a different direction than the switch market. They are looking at the PC port and upgrading all their graphics. I am sure they are feeling really good about getting more horsepower to better show off their art work. You should ask if WoFF is coming to the switch. Much better match..and..kind of a pokemon game. Probably sell like crazy.

PantsuJo

Aside for the ARM nature if X1, this post is full of false statements.

Please, people: stop with these threads. Every time I read nonsensical analysis on Tegra-based hardware. We already know the power of Tegra, it's a well documented and tested SoC.
And it can't compete with a PC based hardware such as modern consoles.

Please, stop.

The problem for a port is not Switch hardware, it is capable of running FFXV.

It's the engine of this game, because it is probably the last time Square used it and the effort of porting this dying engine to another hardware is to big.

Say's who? The thing already has issues on current gen. How much downporting are you expecting them to make when it already runs at 720p on Xbox 1?

routerbad

Banned
I'm not denying any of what you're saying.

My point simply is that getting FFXV to run on the consoles was a significant engineering effort. Porting it down to a mobile SoC is extremely unlikely in view of the gulf in performance.

My argument about power consumption was a general one. Of course it's not going to be a 1/10th as powerful but there's a gulf of power between the two. Especially since the game will need to run at whatever the battery downclock is.

Of course the Switch will have a better gaming experience than an iPad and I wasn't arguing that, I'm just saying that the SoC is a tablet SoC and so expectations need to to checked.

I'm sure with Unreal 4 on the Switch there will be many ports.

I agree, though I do believe, just like with PC presentation scaling, if they believe there is a market on the switch, then they will put in the effort to provide the game at whatever presentation level(s) the switch can offer in both docked and undocked mode.

I agree people should check their expectations, on both sides of the issue. Specs aren't the be all end all of metrics, a lot of it is marketing fluff to impress potential customers as well as developers. At the same time, When something is on both the switch and the PS4, the mobile nature of the console means that people should expect some level of compromise with the presentation.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But they already said awhile ago that it wasnt coming to Switch....how is that news again ?

routerbad

Banned
Aside for the ARM nature if X1, this post is full of false statements.

Please, people: stop with these threads. Every time I read nonsensical analysis on Tegra-based hardware. We already know the power of Tegra, it's a well documented and tested SoC.
And it can't compete with a PC based hardware such as modern consoles.

Please, stop.

Instruction set aside, they are all mobile SoC's. APU's with integrated GPU's were originally designed for low power PC's. That there is less OS overhead on a console and more access to the bare metal is what makes it possible for the hardware to be used to deliver game experiences. Don't kid yourself, a $99 PC GPU would smoke a PS4 performance wise.

Yes we know the power of the Tegra, at least the X1. It's an impressive SoC.

orioto

Good Art™
This is really not about power anyway. Any game can be downgraded, except if maybe FFXV drastically needs a DD for exemple.

But the lack of support from SE is more about them having a binary strategy i guess now. There is the AAA budget titles that are each time a fucking gambling of all their money, and smartphone games that are safer bets. There is probably no real room anymore for a middle ground. Which is a shame i think. Something like Bravely Default, which was a brand new, important ip with a moderate budget is important for them. Being able to output classic, good (well i didn't like it but anyway) rpgs that are modest, yet not cheap fan services.

Also at least they should port their vita games on Switch, no excuses. It's easy money i mean..

Top Bottom