• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taika Watiti being considered to Direct a Star Wars movie?

GV82

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-courted-star-wars-movie-1269996

Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.

Disney and Lucasfilm, producers of the Star Wars movies, had no comment.

Cool, his Episode of the Mandalorian was good. I know he said he would never want to Direct a Star Wars Film previously because he said he feels he would be too restricted but maybe things have changed for him since his time on Mandalorian?

Last edited:

Valonquar

Thor: Ragnarok was a better Star War than Star Wars
8hrwWk1.gif

Last edited:

Doom85

People have said the new films have humor at inappropriate places that ruin scenes that are supposed to be serious. I don't really see it, nor see how they did it any different from 1-6 (I mean, I love 2's big battle being interrupted with C-3PO making head puns that a 5-year old could come up with! Yay!), but a film I do see guilty of that is Thor: Ragnarok. When a whole group of people is watching their home be destroyed, now is not the time for the comic relief to be making a dumbass joke. Like, it's actually dumbass, the foundation remaining wouldn't even change anything, they know they can't ever defeat Surtur now so they're never coming back here so why did Korg say that stupid shit? It's especially frustrating as earlier that year Guardians 2 also ended on a bittersweet note but James Gunn at least knew not to have anybody crack any jokes during the funeral.

Don't get me wrong, Thor Ragnarok was mostly good, but that stuck out like a sore thumb.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Stop giving Star Wars to flavor-of-the-month directors and writers that haven’t really accomplished anything.

JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Colin Trevorrow, the Game of Thrones guys (now thankfully not happening)... it just goes on and on.

The guy that directed a Thor movie that I laughed at a lot, and basically forgot the plot of, later that day, is not the right choice for Star Wars.

Porcile

Isn't this dude directing the live action Akira too?

Live action Akira or a new Star Wars... Well, that's two guaranteed ways to leave a nice big shit stain on your filmography, that's for sure.

sol_bad

Stop giving Star Wars to flavor-of-the-month directors and writers that haven’t really accomplished anything.

JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Colin Trevorrow, the Game of Thrones guys (now thankfully not happening)... it just goes on and on.

The guy that directed a Thor movie that I laughed at a lot, and basically forgot the plot of, later that day, is not the right choice for Star Wars.

So tell me about the acclaimed directors of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and what they did that was so amazing for them to direct those films.

Go for it. The guy is apparently a great director, because I haven't seen him make anything bad yet.

In particular, he's good at really pulling chemistry and lifelike performances from his actors - something Star Wars desperately needs.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
man im getting kind of worn out seeing the same old Marvel people over and over

we gonna have Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson before you know it

#Phonepunk#

Banned
As creative as this guy supposedly is why doesn’t he come up with an original IP? Seems like a waste to have him do this production line stuff

About it. SW needs more auteur directors.

So tell me about the acclaimed directors of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and what they did that was so amazing for them to direct those films.

Just Empire you mean. Lucas directed RotJ (Marquand only showed up to stand in the corner and nod).

Last edited:
Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Spoiler alert: it's a comedy about a young Stormtrooper hiding and befriending a little Jedi girl.

Kadayi

Banned
People have said the new films have humor at inappropriate places that ruin scenes that are supposed to be serious. I don't really see it, nor see how they did it any different from 1-6 (I mean, I love 2's big battle being interrupted with C-3PO making head puns that a 5-year old could come up with! Yay!), but a film I do see guilty of that is Thor: Ragnarok. When a whole group of people is watching their home be destroyed, now is not the time for the comic relief to be making a dumbass joke. Like, it's actually dumbass, the foundation remaining wouldn't even change anything, they know they can't ever defeat Surtur now so they're never coming back here so why did Korg say that stupid shit? It's especially frustrating as earlier that year Guardians 2 also ended on a bittersweet note but James Gunn at least knew not to have anybody crack any jokes during the funeral.

Don't get me wrong, Thor Ragnarok was mostly good, but that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Agreed.

Star Wars may have turned into a joke, but I'd rather Taika Waititi stick to actual straight comedies versus inadvertent ones. I found Thor: Ragnarok disjointed in that regard like you Doom85 (Homeworld destroyed, thousands dead,.. let's have some jokes....) and I was kind of disappointed in the final episode of the Mandalorian in terms of the pacing.

dan76

I didn't like his episode of The Mandalorian, after episode 4 it was the poorest in terms of pacing. It doesn't help that the writing was a bit all over the place, but, he didn't write it so what can you do. There was no energy, though it was funny in places. Still, it was great because it's the Mandalorian...

Why not Martin Scorsese or David Fincher or Steve Spielberg or George Lucas lmao

I think these are the types of directors Star Wars should be going for. Sure, Kirshner and Marquand from the OT hadn't had massive blockbuster hits, but they understood character, drama and had probably read some Shakespeare. The effects department will take care of all the visual fluff to please the kids, but without rock solid characters and interesting situations you've got nothing.

I'd add directors like Sam Mendes, Kenneth Branagh, Christopher Nolan, George Miller and Robert Zemekis to the list. I'm not a big fan of any of them, but they could all do something good with Star Wars.

TrainedRage

Banned
No they don't more of that shit. They want good shit.

And Taika is more than capable of providing some seriously good shit.
Wasn’t he the director that made the Hitler movie? Did that do well? Was it any good? Seemed like a comedy. Is that the direction they are looking to make a new movie? I’m going to have to look up what other movies he made and see what his style is.

The Mandilorian was this best StarWars thing to come out as far as the new stuff. So if they can bottle that and make a new “good” movie I guess that’s better.

But are they not just continuing the same story? I’m kinda over that.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Spielberg directing a Star Wars is the first thing I thought of when they announced the ST.

why not? Cos they are fucking cheapskates would rather hire a tv director for cheap and let the whole thing suffer, just so they can make more money.

Well, yeah. Everything since Disney bought it has all felt like fan films. Solo was sort of the exception because they actually had new plot elements in it and no stupid Jedi shit

Kadayi

Banned
For all the talk of directors, the inherent thing that is required is a decent script first and foremost and preferably one that knows where it is going in the long term and isn't built entirely on rehashing the previous films versus telling its own unique and compelling story. Sadly I think the commodification of Star Wars as an IP now means it's probably beyond salvaging because there is just too much investment by Disney in the well-worn iconography of the existing films to ever want to step anyway from them wholesale and therein lies the rub.

Top Bottom