• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin |Series Discussion Thread| A Donderful World

Played this in one of the Sega arcades in Akiba for the first time, it's so much fun! Sadly I don't think I'd enjoy it very much on any of the home consoles, maybe once I'm rich I'll buy one of the arcade machines. :(

I'm a little worried now the game may not feature touch controls, surely such a feature would have been demoed in the promotional video?

The positioning of the play area in Donder Quest mode seems like the biggest indicator to me, your fingers would be right on top of the notes. I'd hope they'll at least give you the option in the standard play mode, otherwise it'd be the first Taiko game on a system with a touch screen without touch control.

Hey folks :)

I just finished the story mode in the second 3DS game, but I followed a guide so I knew what I was meant to be doing. I'm thinking about going straight into Chibi Dragon now, but I was wondering if you know of any guides?

I'm sure I could brute force my way through it, but I'd rather not and just enjoy the story mode without having to talk to everyone :p

Hoping this will tide me over until V Version hits, anyway!

Honestly, I don't think you'll even be needing a guide, the game is totally linear. It's structured as individual stages you select from a world map, like this. You clear stages to unlock new ones, so there's really nowhere to get lost. I think that, at worst, there may be one stage in the final area that you're not allowed to enter until you clear every other stage, so if that ever happens just try a different level. You might want help getting the hidden treasure items which unlock the final song, though, and a guide for that can be found here.

Perfect, thanks for the help :) Must admit I'd assumed it would be similar to the newer game's story mode! Would have been stuck on some of those puzzles without a guide, for sure.

News has been kinda slow lately, hopefully due to gearing up for 15th anniversary celebrations, but we're finally starting to get word on stuff other than V Version news.

On the 3DS front, despite there not having been a prior announcement, June DLC IS starting! Continuing from last month, June's DLC is primarily Idolmaster, with Mahou o Kakete! releasing today, and data mining revealing that the remaining DLC is likely Kill Me no Baby, Kiramekirari, TRUTH, and Jibun REST@RT. Official announcement will be coming shortly. (EDIT: Confirmed, and it's the last 3DS2 DLC.)

As far as Wii U goes... er... sorry, lol. Another month with no DLC. The livestream planned for last month ended up being cancelled, and it was likely going to be announced there. But! The new date for the livestream has been announced, and it'll now be June 12th. Wii U DLC being announced there seems extremely likely, and other announcements such as a look at the next 2000 song, discussion about Bamco's new arcade rhythm game, Synchronica (ok yeah that's not really relevant to Taiko but it's gonna be there), and some other surprise stuff, likely pertaining to the 15th anniversary celebration material planned to be shown last month.

And of course there's always V Version stuff every week too. Good times!

As for me, I can now proudly say that I have everything in Tokumori clear other than Joubutsu and Donkama. I'll clear those too someday, goddammit.
okay i had to cheat and look at a constant speed chart for kuma-san ura but can you really blame me because fuck that chart

Cranzor

I was at Colossalcon this weekend in Sandusky, Ohio and was absolutely shocked to see Taiko cabinets set up. They had 10 and 13 there. Unfortunately, the left side of the one drum on 10 didn't seem to work so I stuck to 13 most of the time. Those bachi are super heavy! I was really sore after every time I played. I managed to clear Polyrhythm on Oni with 94% and am super happy with that. The guy behind me just tapped me on the shoulder and gave me a thumbs up. My poor friend stuck it out on Oni that time and a few other times, but I made sure to pick Futsuu for the first song often so she would have fun too.

Here's a video of me playing. I'm on the right. This was the only time I played with a random person so I had my friend record it.

https://youtu.be/AzG4kLJORr8

Oh yeah, those cabs are from the folks at Tokyo Attack. Never actually made it out to an event they've been featured at, but it sounds like a fantastic service. For US people who aren't on the West coast or lucky enough to have a Round 1 nearby, it's pretty much one of their only opportunities to get their hands on those games.

... and unfortunately I fall right into that demographic, lol. Honestly, Colossalcon is probably the event closest to me they'll be featured at for a while, so perhaps I shoulda gone myself! I've also been pondering a day trip to the nearest Round 1, which is about 4 hours away, but I haven't settled on doing it quite yet. I've just been hankering for some arcade Taiko (and pretty much any other arcade rhythm game) play lately since my last time trying it was 3 years ago. Until then I suppose I'll try to hassle my local arcade into getting a cab!

But yeah, awesome that you had a chance to try it out, and congrats on the solid play! Polyrhythm is no slouch, lol. Last time I played I got cocky and didn't think about the difference in my skill level with buttons vs on the actual arcade unit and ended up flunking out on the Super Mario Bros theme and wasting a credit. So being able to do so well on the real thing without much practice is definitely something to be proud about.

Cranzor

Hmm, I hadn't heard of Tokyo Attack before. They did a great job. The room was really nice and there was a great variety of games.

I had a song list pulled up on Taiko Time but now that I'm at home playing, I'm kicking myself thinking about all of the songs I could have played that I didn't think of. Oh well. I guess that means more songs for next time! I normally play with buttons so I'm not great with bachi, but there are definitely a few more songs I could have passed on Oni. Oh, and trust me, I overestimated my skills a few times too. I don't even know how I'm alive after trying to play Densetsu no Matsuri on Oni!

I hadn't been playing Taiko or keeping up with it for a few weeks -- playing on a cabinet was a good reminder for me that V Version is coming soon! Can't wait.

I'm sure I'll be at Colossalcon next year. If you're there next time, we should meet up and play a few songs together!

Yeah, I'll need to see where I am this time next year. I'll definitely post if I'm around!

Anyways HOLY SHIT THE DREAM, Taiko V Version gets all 3 songs from the game music triangle promotion! That means Densha de GO!, OPA-OPA, and... another version of Ridge Racer, lol. 5 Ridge Racer songs, 3 of which are versions of the theme the game lends its name to. But damn, I really wanted those, so I'm stoked.

Also, holy shit, Taiko 3DS2 is getting a Korean localization. That's 2 console Taiko games being released outside of Japan this year. Maybe this will lead to good news for the West in the future? Who knows.

And there are actually 2 Taiko streams this month, one tomorrow, and one for the 15th anniversary toward the end of the month.

Ended up so caught up in Rhythm Tengoku, I missed all this Taiko news, lol.

Also, holy shit, Taiko 3DS2 is getting a Korean localization.

Any word on if it'll have a different soundtrack? I wouldn't mind another version if the tunes were new :p

Edit: Actually, aren't Korean 3DS games locked to Korea-only? Can't say I have any interest in buying another 3DS D;

Taiko no Tatsujin V demo up on the PS store this morning, no support for the Vita TV I'm afraid, well at least in this demo.

Ugh, really? Are there any cases of demos not being PSTV compatible while the full games are? It'll be very silly if the final game ends up not being compatible given that it doesn't seem to use touch at all.

On the plus side, the game looks great and plays well on the Vita. And the RPG mode is... probably what I'd consider to be the least intrusive so far, lol. Only got to fiddle around with it a teeny bit before I had to go do other stuff.

The pre-order situation for the game seems to be a total mess though, lol. Hoping they just put all the preorder songs up for purchase after the fact. The fact that the third free DLC track might be a Mega Man 2 tune is really exciting, though. This game's Game Music selection keeps delivering, lol.

Any word on if it'll have a different soundtrack? I wouldn't mind another version if the tunes were new :p

Edit: Actually, aren't Korean 3DS games locked to Korea-only? Can't say I have any interest in buying another 3DS D;

I imagine it might have some exclusive K-Pop tracks in the same was the Chinese versions have C-Pop.

But yeah, it'll be region locked lol

Shinriji

Just tried the demo, and it's so good that now there is a HD taiko without a crappy framerate.

The RPG mode looks like a good clone of theathrytm FF, and loved the Don and Katsu custom items.

Cha

Ugh, really? Are there any cases of demos not being PSTV compatible while the full games are? It'll be very silly if the final game ends up not being compatible given that it doesn't seem to use touch at all.
*snip*

This would have been a really good use of the back touch pad I think. A little sad that this control option is not in. Hope the other controls are intuitive on the Vita.

Aizo

Banned
Just played the demo. Is there no overworld this time? I know I complained about it when I started 3DS2, but I liked getting monsters and finding hidden characters like Jibanyan and Funasshi...

Doesn't really feel like a quest if it's just dialogue and missions. Also, jeez... these monsters take forever to die. It's different, so I guess I need to get used to it. One issue for me on the controls side: I slide my fingers across face buttons to do the drum rolls and balloons, but it's not really very easy with how large vita face buttons are.

This would have been a really good use of the back touch pad I think. A little sad that this control option is not in. Hope the other controls are intuitive on the Vita.

Yeah, it's weird. This is the first Taiko on a system with a touch screen that doesn't support touch controls. I guess it might be because of the screen layout in Donder Quest mode? Otherwise I don't see why they couldn't copy over the layout from iOS/Wii U off-TV play for touch control.

Just played the demo. Is there no overworld this time? I know I complained about it when I started 3DS2, but I liked getting monsters and finding hidden characters like Jibanyan and Funasshi...

Doesn't really feel like a quest if it's just dialogue and missions. Also, jeez... these monsters take forever to die. It's different, so I guess I need to get used to it. One issue for me on the controls side: I slide my fingers across face buttons to do the drum rolls and balloons, but it's not really very easy with how large vita face buttons are.

Yup, you just select missions from the menu. The "Quest" part is just in reference to the customization and battles. My policy has always been "the more similar to campaign is to just playing the songs normally the better", but I understand the desire for it to differentiate itself more, lol. I think the RPG elements will end up amounting to more in the final game.

Aizo

Banned
Just realized all the Taiko PSP DLC is downloadable through the PSN on Vita, but the game isn't? That's really weird.

Managed to find a video of the Vita demo on youtube. Controls seem to work. I had never seen this game being played with buttons until today.

The game will map default controls to D-Pad + face buttons for don and and shoulder buttons for kat, but I really recommend setting them to how they are in that video, which is type B in pretty much every Taiko game. Right and Square for don, Up and Triangle for kat (and you really never use the other buttons). Based on how you play on the actual drum, using different fingers for different inputs doesn't make sense, and just ends up being confusing (for me). I really started playing much, much better on buttons once I switched to that control scheme.

So... that's what I recommend people do as soon as they boot up a new Taiko game, lol. I think it works plenty well.

Aizo

Banned
I finally beat a few more Oni songs. I'm verrryyyy slowly getting through them. Pretty much all done with J-pop and anime on Oni, but vocaloid and game music are still too hard, even though they have the same number of stars (7) as many other songs I've beaten. I can't wait for the practice mode on Vita. Will it actually be decent?
Just tried the demo, and it's so good that now there is a HD taiko without a crappy framerate.

The RPG mode looks like a good clone of theathrytm FF, and loved the Don and Katsu custom items.

Looking forward to your OT!

Yeah, star ratings are super wonky. 7 star Anime is Cruel Angel's Thesis, while 7 star Namco Original is Saitama2000, lol. Awesome to hear that you're getting a grip on Oni, hopefully still having fun with it and not just forcing yourself into it.

Practice Mode'll be cool. Basically, you can scroll through the song, forwards and backwards, and get to the part you want to play, and practice that however much you like. Seemingly, you'll be able to speed up and slow down the track too, which is really helpful, and I don't believe you could do in the Wii versions. In particular, it's good for figuring out unique patterns you're having trouble with (I particularly remember using it for the DKKKDKD section of Saitama2000), but it'll also be handy for isolating patterns or techniques you have problems with, rather than having to search for a song that's good for practicing them (which is what I did over 15+ Taiko games, lol).

Aizo

Banned
I just beat Senbonzakura! I'm having fun as long as I don't push myself to play songs that are too hard, but it's unfortunate, because songs I wanna play most are hard Namco originals.

You're the music game master, huh?

Well, here's an interesting bit of news: Taiko+ for iPhone just updated to 3.0, and added a subscription service for songs. Basically, for 500 yen a month, you can download freely from a selection of 100+ songs, and with the promise of new songs added every month. If they add at least 3 or 4 songs a month, that sounds like a pretty solid deal to me, even if iOS isn't my ideal way to play. It's $12 for 3 months using my US iTunes account, so I'll probably end up checking it out.

But today we also must bid farewell to Taiko 3DS2, which got its final DLC song just now. You've served us well, friend... ;A;

Anyways, the 15th anniversary livestream is tomorrow, and we'll probably get some neat announcements out of it, so that'll be cool. Dunno when they announced Wii4 for the 10th anniversary, but an announcement of Wii U3 for the 15th anniversary seems like it'll be on the way soon.

I just beat Senbonzakura! I'm having fun as long as I don't push myself to play songs that are too hard, but it's unfortunate, because songs I wanna play most are hard Namco originals.

You're the music game master, huh?

Yeah, getting to Namco Originals takes a lot of working your way in, lol. You gotta find some good foothold songs, which can be tricky considering how many difficult ones there are.

Nah, I'm 10 years too late for that, lol. Only got particularly into rhythm games around 2006 with Elite Beat Agents. Now I just like them disproportionately relative to much I like most other genres, lol.

Aizo

Banned
Is the final 3ds2 song a proper farewell?
I hope WiiU3 is amazing. I want a reason to buy that pro tatakon... I guess I have to wait until I have a job in Japan, though.

In just a month I'll be playing arcade Taiko again--finally!!! My friend and I will play way too much, I'm sure.

Is the final 3ds2 song a proper farewell?

nah it's just another im@s song, lol. Doesn't seem like it'll get shimedore2000 or anything.

Mega Man 2 music in V Version! :D

No offense to MonHun or anything, but... it's about time we got something else from Capcom, lol.

Jeez, V Version's Game Music genre is stupid stacked. Ys and Legend of Heroes from Falcom, Freedom Wars from Sony, Ninja Warriors and Denshe de GO from Taito, Fantasy Zone and Chain Chronicle from Sega, literally 3 versions of the song Ridge Racer from Ridge Racer why from Namco, and Mega Man from Capcom. Pretty much anything else from here on is gonna look bad by comparison, lol.

I couldn't catch the livestream earlier today, but apparently there was some talk about their interest in spreading Taiko into a worldwide franchise for the 15th anniversary. Specifically, they talked about the Asian version of the arcade game, the Korean version of 3DS2, and the Chinese version of Vita. With an official release of the arcade game in Brazil (as Wadaiko Master), and the game likely seeing its first Western playable release in a decade through Yakuza 5, it certainly is an interesting time for the series as a Western fan, lol.

ChrisD

That's a track list. One beautiful track list.

I've never imported a Vita game. I hear it's much like PSP in that it's simple, but DLC is just a pain to work with. Correct?

Regardless, V snuck up on me. I thought it was coming out in the Fall at some point, not in two weeks. Going to see if I can get my brother to go half with me so we can get it earlier rather than months from now (when I intended on getting it).

I've never imported a Vita game. I hear it's much like PSP in that it's simple, but DLC is just a pain to work with. Correct?

Yeah, to get any downloadable content, you'll need to be running a Japanese account on your Vita to access PSN. And because accounts are tied to Vita memory cards, that means you'll either need to format your current memory card, clearing everything on it, so you can tie it to a JP PSN account, or get another memory card for use with a JP PSN account. Pretty sure there should be a number of guides out there for switching to a different account on a different region on the Vita.

Just got a new Vita memory card in myself in preparation, been running a 4 GB for imports for a while but only being able to fit 1 or 2 games on it at a time is no fun, lol.

Aizo

Banned
I got my Vita in Japan and never saw any reason to have an American account on it. Japanese games library is far superior.

ChrisD

I got my Vita in Japan and never saw any reason to have an American account on it. Japanese games library is far superior.

Because I'm a lazy sucker who quit doing the Japanese course I was taking. I can't remember most Hiragana, even. The only thing I have retained -- and it is helpful in my few import games! -- is that iie is no. :p

Also, I do like a good number of games that have come out in the West. Between this, Deemo, and IA/VT coming out within such a short span, though, interest in a Japanese Account shot from, "I will one day," to, "I better learn how to maneuver their store because I'm going to be seeing it multiple times in a short span."

I am seriously considering importing the vita version from cdjapan as I have about ¥1300 in credits there. The lack of touch controls is a shame, but as long as it is fun I can overlook it.

I have never played these before, but wanted to for quite some time.

Do we know if the full game is Vita TV compatible yet? I saw the demo wasn't :<

Really don't want to go through the hassle of switching accounts on my Vita just to get DLC.

Shinriji

I am seriously considering importing the vita version from cdjapan as I have about ¥1300 in credits there. The lack of touch controls is a shame, but as long as it is fun I can overlook it.

I have never played these before, but wanted to for quite some time.

This game looks perfect for first timers. The song selection so far is one of the best ever, with a lot of fan favourites songs. DLC support should be pretty good as well.

Shinriji

Guys, if someone have a good suggestion for the OT catchphrase or helping with a banner, I'm all ears. :)

Gonna play some Wadaiko Master this weekend to get hype.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Why is this so much more expensive than most other vita games? I'm comparing it to IA/VT in particular.

Still gonna import both. #yearofthevitamusicgames

5amshift

Banned
Why is this so much more expensive than most other vita games? I'm comparing it to IA/VT in particular.

Still gonna import both. #yearofthevitamusicgames

Japan usually makes popular games more expensive in their region.
It's probably because they can.

Game is confirmed available to play on PlayStation TV!

Anybody sure when AmiAmi orders are shipping out? Haven't ordered from them in years and absolutely forgot how they deal with that. Hope I get it soon after retail. Donda Quest is calling my name.

Game is confirmed available to play on PlayStation TV!

Anybody sure when AmiAmi orders are shipping out? Haven't ordered from them in years and absolutely forgot how they deal with that. Hope I get it soon after retail. Donda Quest is calling my name.

Oh, where'd you see that? I just went to the Vita TV main page and saw the game on the front page, so that should be confirmation, right? Interestingly, its software page also mentions the game uses the touch screen, but... could you even use touch for the menus in the demo? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, lol.

AmiAmi will send a request for payment pretty much right before the game releases, more or less day of if I recall correctly. Then once you pay they'll ship soon after. Either that day or the next, I think?

Aerocrane

Oh, where'd you see that? I just went to the Vita TV main page and saw the game on the front page, so that should be confirmation, right? Interestingly, its software page also mentions the game uses the touch screen, but... could you even use touch for the menus in the demo? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, lol

Yeah you can use touch on the menus of the demo version. That might be the only thing the touch screen is used for?

5amshift

Banned
Oh, where'd you see that? I just went to the Vita TV main page and saw the game on the front page, so that should be confirmation, right?

I saw it on the Play-Asia site when I preordered a few weeks ago, but it seems to be down from the listing. But good catch on the Vita TV site.

is this how things usually are with pstv, lol. will-it-won't-it right up until release? i only got mine a month or so back and think it'd be cool to have it compatible so i could record or stream the game. it just seems weird that there's been silence on it

Guys, if someone have a good suggestion for the OT catchphrase or helping with a banner, I'm all ears. :)

Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version |OT| Switch to Type B Controls

don't really have any good titles or graphic design skill but if there's anything i can do to help out just lemme know

Top Bottom