• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takt of Magic (Wii) homepage opened

MotherFan said:
I really hopes this comes over, but I am not getting my hopes up. I don't know what the hell NoA is doing with it's localization excuses, but it is unacceptable.

Indeed. Where the fuck is my Captain Rainbow? :mad:

Night_Trekker said:
Indeed. Where the fuck is my Captain Rainbow? :mad:

I can't believe anyone could think this game would be released outside of Japan, especially after the Birdo storyline involving a vibrator... I imported the game and used HBC to play it. While I wish it was in English, it's sadly never going to happen. :/

Anyway, back on topic. I wonder if North America will even see the release of this game...? It looks interesting enough!

MidnightScott said:
I can't believe anyone could think this game would be released outside of Japan, especially after the Birdo storyline involving a vibrator... I imported the game and used HBC to play it. While I wish it was in English, it's sadly never going to happen. :/

I never actually thought it stood a chance of localization... but that's what hope is for!

This game seems cool but NA won't be getting it most likely:lol

Also, another why people are super pissed with NoA for not bringing over Disaster and Fatal Frame 4 is because they didn't release shit for the core audience after Mario Kart Wii (April 08) until New Play Control! Pikmin (March 09) except for Wario Land: Shake It!

firex

black wind isn't being attacked. He just doesn't understand. Nintendo is going backwards on their localization scale, when they have the most successful systems on the market and tons of titles they could bring over here (or let someone else bring over here) to fill niches for the Wii. They're literally localizing less (as a percentage of titles released/published) on Wii/DS than they were for GC/GBA a few years ago. It's really a squandered opportunity, because a lot of these games they're passing on could catch on with their new audience that buys for Wii Play and Wii Fit. Or even if they wouldn't, the people who bought the Wii because they love Nintendo would buy those games.

I disagree with Black Wind on most points, but I agree about the bandwagon of people that don't understand the NOA hate but see fit to jump in on it because everyone else does. The Tales thread was the best possible example of it, as someone twisted and contorted that, since Nintendo published Phantasia GBA in America, they would find a way to block the release of Tales of Graces here. It had more terrible twists than the game itself is likely to have.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Cerebral Assassin said:
Perhaps NOA just don't think they will make any money localising certain games?
here's the thing.

NOE will take a chance on bringing a game over to Europe, and they have WAY more localization work to do on any game than NOA does. The game has to be translated into more languages and optimized for PAL, etc. NOA won't do jack if it doesn't think the game can be a Wii Fit level hit. Look at Disaster. The game is ALREADY IN ENGLISH, and they won't publish it over here.

I live in Europe and Disaster wasn't exactly pushed over here, like Fire Emblem on the DS( try finding either of them in a shop) they may release them(don't get me wrong its better that they do) but if you can't find them unless you buy on release its not exactly great.Also don't NOA re-localise games even if they are released in EU 1st?(I'm sure one of the Advance wars was released here 1st and when it hit the US it had a different english translation)

ethelred

ShockingAlberto said:
The Tales thread was the best possible example of it, as someone twisted and contorted that, since Nintendo published Phantasia GBA in America, they would find a way to block the release of Tales of Graces here. It had more terrible twists than the game itself is likely to have.

Not quite as contorted a delusion as you might like to believe. You're correct that Nintendo isn't the publisher of Tales of Graces and will have no direct control over Namco's decision or ability to publish the game in other regions. But Nintendo certainly plays a big role in the likelihood of that.

For starters, Nintendo has a responsibility to foster a market in which other publishers see localization of their games as a good choice. Has Nintendo done that? Certainly not. The big three have a lot of control there based on their choices when developing their console, when releasing their own games, when directing the bulk of their advertising machinery. Microsoft has fostered a market in which any publisher working on some type of shooter would quite literally need to be certifiable to not put it on Microsoft's machine. Has Nintendo created the same sort of market where an already risk averse localizer like Hometek would see releasing Tales of Graces as the best choice, or even a particularly good choice? When even Nintendo gives every indication that the publication of niche genres is to be avoided at all costs in North America? Hmmm...

But even setting that indirect control aside, the big three publishers can take a much more hands on approach. Not only has Microsoft helped cultivate its market, but it's obviously used its checkbook to help secure exclusives and to help ensure that certain games are brought overseas. I wonder if this helped in the case of Tales of Vesperia? Maybe. This is something Nintendo used to do, too, even going back so few as five years. The financial assistance it helped to provide for Tales of Symphonia's release helped make that game a hit. But would the Nintendo of today do something like that? Hmmm....

Fact is, the bad (and, as Stumpy notes, anti-consumer) choices that Nintendo makes have an adverse affect on every game on their platform, and until that stops being the case, folks have a legit reason to gripe at them at pretty much every available opportunity.

ShockingAlberto said:
I disagree with Black Wind on most points, but I agree about the bandwagon of people that don't understand the NOA hate but see fit to jump in on it because everyone else does.

Just for point of clarification: I don't hate Nintendo of America. I hate Nintendo, period.

ethelred said:
For starters, Nintendo has a responsibility to foster a market in which other publishers see localization of their games as a good choice. Has Nintendo done that? Certainly not. The big three have a lot of control there based on their choices when developing their console, when releasing their own games, when directing the bulk of their advertising machinery. Microsoft has fostered a market in which any publisher working on some type of shooter would quite literally need to be certifiable to not put it on Microsoft's machine.

I don't see MS fostering a market for the 2d shooters that are out in Japan anywhere else in the world.
But even setting that indirect control aside, the big three publishers can take a much more hands on approach. Not only has Microsoft helped cultivate its market, but it's obviously used its checkbook to help secure exclusives and to help ensure that certain games are brought overseas. I wonder if this helped in the case of Tales of Vesperia? Maybe. This is something Nintendo used to do, too, even going back so few as five years. The financial assistance it helped to provide for Tales of Symphonia's release helped make that game a hit. But would the Nintendo of today do something like that? Hmmm....

Wasn't the reason MS was "paying" for jRPG's to help the Japanese market not the western one? Nah they didn't put any money or effort into getting MH3 for its platform did they?( I'm quite surprised that they did this after the way RE exclusivity was handled by Capcom)

Fact is, the bad (and, as Stumpy notes, anti-consumer) choices that Nintendo makes have an adverse affect on every game on their platform, and until that stops being the case, folks have a legit reason to gripe at them at pretty much every available opportunity.

Unless you actually believe that all publishers are incompetent this is bollocks, Nintendo doesn't think its worth its while to bring these("niche titles") over so all other publishers assume they can't profit either?(I'm not talking about FF4 btw).
Just for point of clarification: I don't hate Nintendo of America. I hate Nintendo, period.

Glad to see you don't let that cloud your judgement.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
They should bring this to the US if the motion recognition is good. No more than $10 though. I was interested in Lost Magic but I heard it had some issues.

This has "bomb" written all over it, there is pretty much no hype, no media coverage, and no advertising as far as i see, it will never get localized too (maybe in EU but it is faretched)

superbank said:
No more than $10 though..
even ports aren't this low :lol

swerve

That trailer has elevated the game from 'likely buy' to 'day one'.

And that was *before* it mentioned co-op play.

swerve

cw_sasuke said:
online ? read something about nwc support...

Yeah, during the wi-fi connection section it says:

'have fun playing online. Battle other players. Defend your ground whilst attacking theirs.'

And then it says, with the logo still on the screen, '...play co-operatively, and view nationwide rankings.' Online is only for within the same region but hey, it's only coming out in one region so far :p

andthebeatgoeson

ShockingAlberto said:
I disagree with Black Wind on most points, but I agree about the bandwagon of people that don't understand the NOA hate but see fit to jump in on it because everyone else does.
Wait, are you agreeing that people should hate Nintendo or not? If no, I don't think you are giving people enough credit. I hate this even though I have never played a Fatal Frame or Starfy or Day of Disaster. They may be decent or mediocre. But now that my 360 has died once, and Nintendo slowed down production on core games, I am dying for a few decent games for the Wii. I am desperate. Wii Music and Wii Fit won't sastify me. I'm looking for games in genres I've never played. I'm going back to orange box and COD4 on 360 for gaming. I hesitate to jump on in with more 360 games to save it in case another great game comes along (lol, I sound like I'm trying to stay a virgin or something. Keep my 360 pure for that one good fuck).

Fatal Frame would at least catch my interest since I've been abused as a horror fan on the Wii. I could be an impulse buy. Disaster has my interest since it looks cool, has a funky story and has gotten good reviews. There are 50 million Wii's out there. Why don't they try and satisfy these gamers. Or provide evidence that there is a market on Wii for these games. No big name 3rd party selling core games gives a shit about Mario Kart because they can't effectively reproduce that. If Nintendo can sell Fatal Frame, at least a few others might jump on board. Really, this gen sucks as a gamer. Nintendo dominates and keeps lending credence that they don't care about the core gamer on their system. MS has screwed their entire market over with RROD and Sony screwed over everybody with $599. This is a really shitty generation. The only light is the DS.

What the hell's up with that girl's mouth at around 40 seconds into the video. Does she have a buck tooth or cleft lip or something? Or is she smoking a cigarette maybe? Weird.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
SilverLunar said:
This has "bomb" written all over it, there is pretty much no hype, no media coverage, and no advertising as far as i see, it will never get localized too (maybe in EU but it is faretched)

even ports aren't this low :lol

Oh I thought it was a wiiware game for some reason.

Yeah its probably not coming.

ivysaur12

Banned
Seemed interesting. I liked Lostmagic's core premise, but felt like other oddities brought it down heavily. Hopefully this will be better.

2132380189_view.jpg

ShockingAlberto said:
I disagree with Black Wind on most points, but I agree about the bandwagon of people that don't understand the NOA hate but see fit to jump in on it because everyone else does. The Tales thread was the best possible example of it, as someone twisted and contorted that, since Nintendo published Phantasia GBA in America, they would find a way to block the release of Tales of Graces here. It had more terrible twists than the game itself is likely to have.
WOW . . . I had no clue people kept talking about my post after I left. I feel alil important in Gaf world now . . . just alil bit:lol

That was exactly my point in the bolded. PERSONALLY I don't give a fuck if I don't think the game is that great to begin with (D:Day got tons of mixed reviews and and looks "flat" to say the least. FF I was interested in but from everything I hear it's controls are crap so I will just have to wait and hope for Fragile to come over as my "Flashlight" game buy).

Thats just me, I can fully accept people having a different opinion . . . I was simply tired of this bandwagon. There are people who actually care about this like some of you . . . than theres the "ToG derailment guy".

With that said I do hope and feel that this game will come state side and would be pissed if it didn't. Games like this are how Nintendo gets my moneyz! Looks creative and fun. And I do feel that Nintendo's release of Starfy does point to them trying to bring more stuff like this state side.

swerve

This game is superb.

I've spent 3 hours with it now: Here's my initial findings.
Positives:

Really empowering.
Spellcasting is loads of fun.
Interface is great.
One of the first Wii games (sadly, after 2.5 years!) to make truly unique and advanced use of pointer controls, mixed seamlessly with rotation.
Complex yet easy-to-learn interface. Really nice to have a Wii game that is *more* complicated than games on other systems for once.
Art (notably the map and the character drawings) are great.
AMAZING use of the nunchuck rotation sensing (rather than gesture sensing). If you hold the nunchuck upright, you enter spellcasting mode with the pointer. Move it back, and your spell is ready to go.
There are so far no gestures in this game, just clever and intuitive use of rotation sensing.
Great use of different units with different powers, all moved with the pointer.

Negatives:
I WANT MORE SPELLS from the very beginning. But I can see why they hold back.
Some early missions are crazy easy.
Occasional mild load times (slightly longer than most Nintendo published titles)
Enemies are a bit samey so far.

I really hope this game gets played by a lot of people. It's got a great style, a good challenge, and it's really hard to put down. The controls are some of the finest yet on Wii. I'm going to spend all day tomorrow playing it, and all night tonight thinking about it.

swerve

Dascu said:
Good to hear it actually turned out to be a fun game. I hope it gets localized.

It's not just fun, but a lesson in what should have been being released on Wii for the last two years. Winning Eleven deserves credit for this, too, but Takt of Magic takes it a big step further.

Like I said, this game has *more* complex controls than gamers are used to - things that simply aren't possible without the wii remote- rather than simple actions mapped to a waggle.

Whilst gesture tracking and waggle have a place and enhance some things, those features are the minor benefits of the (pre-Motion+) Wii remote. This is one of the first games to truly use the full range of Wii's control capabilities to enhance the range of capabilities in a console game and the way you interact in a strategy game. And show everyone what we've been missing, too.

For example, to place your wall, you raise your left arm, draw the lightning strike with the pointer, lower your left arm to leave spellcast mode, then use the pointer to place the wall and the ROTATION of the wii remote to twist it to the angle you want.

It sounds complex because it is, but it's also brilliant, easy to learn, and very satisfying. You can build a wall in the position and rotation you want in seconds.

It seems most attacks have an element tied to the Wii Remote's rotation, which is neat (the wind attack can be twisted to attack a wider range, for example).

More thoughts to follow after more play.

nincompoop said:
What the hell's up with that girl's mouth at around 40 seconds into the video. Does she have a buck tooth or cleft lip or something? Or is she smoking a cigarette maybe? Weird.

You haven't come to realize that videogame characters make retarded faces:

933020_20071114_screen003.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure I would like this kind of game. I suck at Tatical RPGs =d

Top Bottom