• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Celcius

°Temp. member
Here's my theory:

"Inominant" is a title not a specific person, and someone has to take that role. Laphicet just happened to be the one to be it. Although, why is he so mean to Velvet now? I guess he gave up once he asked Artorious to kill him?

Here's my theory:

"Inominant" is a title not a specific person, and someone has to take that role. Laphicet just happened to be the one to be it. Although, why is he so mean to Velvet now? I guess he gave up once he asked Artorious to kill him?
Because
Dying turned him into a malak reborn as innominat. Just like Seres had celica's memories but wasnt really celica, Innominat had Laphicet's memories but wasnt really Laphicet. As Innominat he would see the memory of the sacrifice being his idea, and twist that with what Velvet is trying to do. Laphicet betrayed Velvet just as much as Arthur did, and as Innominat he only would see the goals he had agreed to before his death.

Droplet

Did some sidequesting last night and (optional boss spoilers)
holy shit, Normin Phoenix. He was hard enough to begin with, but he would not. Stop. Resurrecting. I looked the fight up online to see if I was doing something wrong and people seemed to be saying it was just a random chance whether or not he used his resurrection Mystic Arte. Well, I must have the most terrible luck in the world if so, because he used it seven fucking times against me. The only consolation here is that each time he uses it, he comes back with 50% of the health of the previous time (100% health the first time, 50% the second, 25% the third, and so on). So the last couple times he used it, he was literally resurrecting with no visible health bar.

Even so, I had to use every single Life Bottle I had and almost every health gel in addition. Crazy hard fight. He's so small that combos can easily start whiffing on him if they have any high hits, allowing him to recover and retaliate. Did not expect such a tough fight at the end of this "collect all the Normins" quest line.

Also, the editing/QA for some of the dialogue text in the sidequests is utterly atrocious. Some of them literally look like somebody ran the lines through a spell checker with auto-correct enabled and called it a day.

We also used an all-divide on that fight. I'd heard that if you end this particular fight on a status effect that it would prevent him from performing the res so we tried hard to end on a paralysis, but we're still not sure if it was actually there at the end though since it seemed to have been wearing off once we got him close. We also lost all our grade from using life bottles. :( Thank goodness for Eleanor and Eizen having res spells.

And yeah the QA is pretty terrible at the end, not just in sidequests, especially since you know the voice actors were given the correct lines. It makes me thankful that I'm playing with the English voices.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Am I the only one that didn't have a particularly tough time with
Phoenix? Granted, it was after I cleared the game.
If you guys think that fight is tough, just wait until you fight
Jude & Millia at the same time! For the first 15 minutes I thought I was going to loose the fight lol.

Because
Dying turned him into a malak reborn as innominat. Just like Seres had celica's memories but wasnt really celica, Innominat had Laphicet's memories but wasnt really Laphicet. As Innominat he would see the memory of the sacrifice being his idea, and twist that with what Velvet is trying to do. Laphicet betrayed Velvet just as much as Arthur did, and as Innominat he only would see the goals he had agreed to before his death.

That makes sense. Poor Velvet. :(

Celcius

°Temp. member
How did Velvet not die when
she jumped into the volcano to throw in the souls?
Why didn't Roukuro
take Shigure's sword when he killed him? Supposedly the best sword of all time and he just leave it there :(

Astrael

Why didn't Roukuro
take Shigure's sword when he killed him? Supposedly the best sword of all time and he just leave it there :(

The way I saw it, Roukuro
has the True Stormquell (well the Kurogane Stormquell) after he wins against Shigure, being the sword that was destined to surpass Stormhowl. No need to take the losing weapon with him. Plus it serves as a nice grave marker.

As for Velvet... well,
maybe it was blowback from the release of the Empyreans' power? That was one of the few hand-wave moments I noticed too haha

On that note, did they ever provide any backstory to who (late game spoilers)
the last therion was before Theresa merges with her
? Seemed like an oversight this series usually doesn't miss, so I might have missed something.

I told myself I'd wait to watch the Zestiria the X anime until I finished Berseria, but I'm getting impatient. I know Berseria is the prequel, but how bad does Zestiria spoil it?

As far as my progress in Berseria, I'm maybe an hour past
getting Titania as a base
, dunno how far from the ending I am.

kewlmyc

I told myself I'd wait to watch the Zestiria the X anime until I finished Berseria, but I'm getting impatient. I know Berseria is the prequel, but how bad does Zestiria spoil it?

As far as my progress in Berseria, I'm maybe an hour past
getting Titania as a base
, dunno how far from the ending I am.

It spoils the fate of two of the main characters and what Artorius's end goal is.

Celcius

°Temp. member
On that note, did they ever provide any backstory to who (late game spoilers)
the last therion was before Theresa merges with her
? Seemed like an oversight this series usually doesn't miss, so I might have missed something.
All they say is that her name was Dis.

I tried asking this elsewhere but didn't get a substantial response, so I'll try here. Here's a few questions for those who have beaten the game
(or have at least reached the Calix in Hexen Isle)
that have been bugging me and a friend for a week or two after actually finishing the game.

Why is it that Velvet's 3 years in Titania having hatred for Artorious and feeding Innominat malevolence as a Therion don't count as feeding Innominat hatred malevolence? Surely she acted as a Therion longer than any of the others, and they were removed from their earthpulses within a relatively short time frame of her first escaping the prison. I could make a case for her despair not being consumed because she was probably generating/consuming mostly hatred until she met Innominat face to face and discovered it was sort of her brother, at which time you could actually see her despair (and hatred) during Innominat's taunting session. And considering Artorious said that Innominat had already consumed the other 6 types of malevolences by the time he was revealed in the Titania raid, it just seems like a really big plot convenience that hatred malevolence, 3 years worth of it, just goes unaccounted for. Hopefully we've just overlooked something here.

Assuming that her hatred hadn't been consumed by that point for some reason, why is it that her hatred malevolence takes on a physical form after defeating the Chimaera during her rampage in the earthpulse? Sure Laphicet calls the dead Velvet an illusion, but Innominat consumes it first after opening his big mouth portal, and hatred doesn't get brought up anytime afterwards (i.e. during the final boss) IIRC, so it has to represent hatred despite not really following the rules of 1. being consumed by a therion representing the malevolence type at an earthpulse, 2. being a therion representing a certain malevolence that gets eaten by Innominat later on and 3. despite the fact that Innominat still says he needs "the 2 malevolences inside you" right before opening his big portal, which happened after the dead Velvet was already formed. I mean the Chimaera gets "consumed" by Velvet, but the malevolence manifests itself physically instead of inside of Velvet which is where my confusion lies, especially with Innominat's follow-up lines.

And about that whole "Laphicet's speech" scene... what in the world is Innominat doing during that whole time? It's a nice performance and all, but it shows that he is still separate from the giant mouth ready to consume Velvet when he's floating there telling Laphicet he'll eat him too. So... why let this whole conversation even happen in the first place lol. There's a solid 3 minute-gap between seeing Innominat there and when he gets blown back by Seres' flames, and a lot happens during that time. Though this is more of a silly nitpick than anything lol.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished my new game+.

101 total hours
61 hours to complete the game on my first playthrough, 71 hours after I did all the post-game content.
Just under 30 hours to complete my new game+ with double experience (I skipped a lot of battles but did double-encounter battles whenever I could, so by the time I got to the final boss I was exactly the same level as I was on the first playthrough lol)

I think I'm finally done and really enjoyed it. Definitely my GOTY so far.

SephLuis

I tried asking this elsewhere but didn't get a substantial response, so I'll try here. Here's a few questions for those who have beaten the game
(or have at least reached the Calix in Hexen Isle)
that have been bugging me and a friend for a week or two after actually finishing the game.

Why is it that Velvet's 3 years in Titania having hatred for Artorious and feeding Innominat malevolence as a Therion don't count as feeding Innominat hatred malevolence? Surely she acted as a Therion longer than any of the others, and they were removed from their earthpulses within a relatively short time frame of her first escaping the prison. I could make a case for her despair not being consumed because she was probably generating/consuming mostly hatred until she met Innominat face to face and discovered it was sort of her brother, at which time you could actually see her despair (and hatred) during Innominat's taunting session. And considering Artorious said that Innominat had already consumed the other 6 types of malevolences by the time he was revealed in the Titania raid, it just seems like a really big plot convenience that hatred malevolence, 3 years worth of it, just goes unaccounted for. Hopefully we've just overlooked something here.

Assuming that her hatred hadn't been consumed by that point for some reason, why is it that her hatred malevolence takes on a physical form after defeating the Chimaera during her rampage in the earthpulse? Sure Laphicet calls the dead Velvet an illusion, but Innominat consumes it first after opening his big mouth portal, and hatred doesn't get brought up anytime afterwards (i.e. during the final boss) IIRC, so it has to represent hatred despite not really following the rules of 1. being consumed by a therion representing the malevolence type at an earthpulse, 2. being a therion representing a certain malevolence that gets eaten by Innominat later on and 3. despite the fact that Innominat still says he needs "the 2 malevolences inside you" right before opening his big portal, which happened after the dead Velvet was already formed. I mean the Chimaera gets "consumed" by Velvet, but the malevolence manifests itself physically instead of inside of Velvet which is where my confusion lies, especially with Innominat's follow-up lines.

And about that whole "Laphicet's speech" scene... what in the world is Innominat doing during that whole time? It's a nice performance and all, but it shows that he is still separate from the giant mouth ready to consume Velvet when he's floating there telling Laphicet he'll eat him too. So... why let this whole conversation even happen in the first place lol. There's a solid 3 minute-gap between seeing Innominat there and when he gets blown back by Seres' flames, and a lot happens during that time. Though this is more of a silly nitpick than anything lol.

I'll try answering, but someone might need to correct a few mistakes since it's been a while since I finished.

I don't remember where or who (I think it was that Normin teacher) that created a hypothesis that Innominat doesn't need large quantities of malevolence, but rather a more pure form of it. In that sense, it doesn't really matter how much he ate Velvet's hatred in prison for three years, he needed pure hatred for it to work.

I honestly believe that "Dead Velvet" was just an illusion rather than a physical manifestation of her hatred. It's easier to think of that illusion as a product of the earth's memories and you can accept those have physical forms because Velvet was cutting a few of them before the scenes. Also Innominat has control over that place so he probably has control on what he wants to show to her.

Regarding the thing where they abandon the hatred and despair idea is because that Velvet comes to terms with what happened. Thus they realize they aren't getting an pure malevolence out of her, which puts a stop to their plan.

I don't remember the exact scene, but sometimes it's easier to remember that those things are supposed to happen in parallel and we, the audience, are the ones that have to see everything happening in a linear form.

So while Laphicet is giving his speech, everyone else is fighting for their lives

Begaria

Despite getting this the day it released on PC, I just finally finished the game a few minutes ago.

One hell of a game! Definitely my favorite Tales game in the series. The only real complaint I have, is that they definitely need to get a new engine made for the series. Even playing on PC at max settings, the game was really showing its age graphically, even though the artwork is pretty good.

Whew. Man. What a ride.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Despite getting this the day it released on PC, I just finally finished the game a few minutes ago.

One hell of a game! Definitely my favorite Tales game in the series. The only real complaint I have, is that they definitely need to get a new engine made for the series. Even playing on PC at max settings, the game was really showing its age graphically, even though the artwork is pretty good.

Whew. Man. What a ride.

Well the next one apparently wont be held down by PS3 so I guess a new engine will happen. Afterall they have been dragging the engine since Vesperia I think

Celcius

°Temp. member
FINALLY figured out how to get Magilou's color variant costume. Just in case anyone is searching on the internet one day on how to get it, here are the steps:
A. Complete the Magilou's Menagerie side quest series.
B. Talk to the person in Loegres near where Majelu performs to hear her talk about Magilanica's back story.
C. Go to Stonebury and talk to the person near the tree to hear more about Magilanica's back story.
The above steps can be completed in any order. Only then can you do step D below.
D. Go to the Santuary (church) in Mercheiro and Grihm should be inside. Talk to her to hear the rest of Magilou's backstory and get the color variant costume.
I tried to avoid spoilers but I put it in spoiler tags just in case.

Droplet

Well if you can't wait at all, the first season is all safe of spoilers. First 13 episodes.

It's not if you haven't played Zestiria.

By the way, how do you get Rokurou's alt color? I thought I finished his sidequest
with the code red marks
. Is it like Magilou's in that you need to find the skit for it afterwards or is it just a different thing altogether?

Justified

Why didn't Roukuro

I'm 99% sure in one of the scenes after, Roukuro
is carrying two swords on his back

It makes me sad that so many ignored this for other releases and alos because Zestiria was trash.

I feel like buying a third copy to support.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm 99% sure in one of the scenes after, Roukuro
is carrying two swords on his back

You're right, just saw the ending again :)

It's not if you haven't played Zestiria.

By the way, how do you get Rokurou's alt color? I thought I finished his sidequest
with the code red marks
. Is it like Magilou's in that you need to find the skit for it afterwards or is it just a different thing altogether?

Did you
kill the daemen at the top of the bridge in vortigern and get the achievement for completing his sidequests?

Jeffrey

So I just finished up the 2nd earth pulse thing and... Velvet jp VA did some good
despair crazy voice.
how was it in the English dub? Wonder if I can find a Let's play.

I'll try answering, but someone might need to correct a few mistakes since it's been a while since I finished.

I don't remember where or who (I think it was that Normin teacher) that created a hypothesis that Innominat doesn't need large quantities of malevolence, but rather a more pure form of it. In that sense, it doesn't really matter how much he ate Velvet's hatred in prison for three years, he needed pure hatred for it to work.

I honestly believe that "Dead Velvet" was just an illusion rather than a physical manifestation of her hatred. It's easier to think of that illusion as a product of the earth's memories and you can accept those have physical forms because Velvet was cutting a few of them before the scenes. Also Innominat has control over that place so he probably has control on what he wants to show to her.

Regarding the thing where they abandon the hatred and despair idea is because that Velvet comes to terms with what happened. Thus they realize they aren't getting an pure malevolence out of her, which puts a stop to their plan.

I don't remember the exact scene, but sometimes it's easier to remember that those things are supposed to happen in parallel and we, the audience, are the ones that have to see everything happening in a linear form.

So while Laphicet is giving his speech, everyone else is fighting for their lives

I feel this would make sense only if we assume Artorious knew Velvet would escape. I imagine he originally put her in the prison to let her hatred fester and, over time, eventually turn to despair of remaining there forever. So it's not so much I'm making an argument against there not being enough malevolence, but that over those 3 years Velvet's hatred didn't reach the potency that Innominat needed. Her pure hatred for Artorious was pretty strong from the jump, which is probably why he knew she could still be an effective Therion and locked her up instead of killing her.

The thing here is that they didn't abandon despair, only hatred. After the party leaves Hexen Isle Innominat orders Aifread to kill Laphicet before capturing Velvet to make her fall into despair, which implies that despair is the only malevolence left that he needs (he also asks "is that 'despair' I sense?" after turning Silva into a dragon beforehand). Sometime between his reveal in Titania and the party's escape from Hexen Isle hatred was no longer an issue, so that really only leaves the "dead" Velvet as the only outlet, especially considering that he consumed it (why would he need to consume his own illusion if it didn't represent anything?)

I want to think that too, but the scene clearly shows what everyone is doing, at least before the portal gets shattered. Laphicet's holding on to Velvet, Eizen is chained to the ground supporting Laphicet, and Rokurou and Eleanor are holding each other from getting sucked in. To be fair to the scene though, Innominat also gets thrown back when the portal shatters, so maybe they meant to imply he couldn't do anything else at the time despite not... looking to be under any stress or constraint at all.

Droplet

Did you
kill the daemen at the top of the bridge in vortigern and get the achievement for completing his sidequests?

We did the first but didn't get an achievement. Maybe we missed something?

edit:
Maybe the achievement and alt color comes from the demon in the Empyrean's Throne instead. I haven't done that one yet, but I did just get Eizen's from a one-off conversation with his crew.

Guess Who

Banned
Her English VA did a great job in that scene. Really sold the emotion.

All the party members had great VA in English. There were a few lines with some weird delivery (particularly Phi early on), but they all really sold it when it counted. Velvet, Magilou and Phi in particular all had some standout moments.

I beat the game late last week, and without going into any plot or sidequest spoilers, this game might be my favorite Tales game. It's possible that other Tales games handle certain aspects such as combat, world or plot better, but everything in Berseria I think is really strong, and all those strong aspects make for a Tales game that is truly great.

I'm in love with the cast. The members of the party are all really good characters, and the supporting cast are all fun characters too. I've seen better antagonists in other Tales games, but the antagonists in Berseria are good enough; their motivations are understandable, and they make for fun boss fights. The voice work is the best I've heard in a Tales game--I'm loving rewatching certain skits at Katz Korner

The combat is pretty good, Velvet is the most fun Tales protagonist that I've played as; it felt so satisfying constructing combos with her via therionization. The overall story is pretty good, and while I wasn't really taken aback by any particular plot twist, there were a lot of great moments and character arcs; I really enjoyed Laphicet's character arc, it's one of the best I've seen in an RPG in some time.

Overall, I'd consider this one of my top games of the year, and a return to form for the Tales Of series.

Taruranto

Holy moly, the
Marsh
was freaking awful.

Velvet killed her first human after 50 hours and she suddenly panicked. I realized she got Laphi PSTD, but she started going "OH NO" well before Teresa channeled 3 years ago Velvet.

TWILT

Banned
Finished the game a little earlier. I'm kind of in amazement how much I enjoyed it (a lot!) I've only played a few Tales of games before (and they've mostly been really really mixed for me) but this is easily my favorite and a really solid 9/10 game for me. Story was pretty solid if a tad cliche at times, but the cast was definitely the main thing that kept me interested. I thought they were all great (my favorites being Eizen and Eleanor <3) and kept me super engaged through the whole game. Combat system is really fun of course; pretty much swapped out Velvet for Eleanor as soon as I could for my "main" though :p. Voice acting was super solid; played in English and everyone nailed their lines.

Pretty happy that I played this game in a year full of amazing games. Hope the next Tales of game is of comparable quality.

Was waiting to hear peoples opinion on the game after they had finished it. Looks like this is a must play, going by most of the comments. Definitely buy for me now.

Jeffrey

Beat the game... Uhhhh what were those mini bosses that require you to hunt for orbs at the final dungeon? Thought they were mandatory but apparently not because I accidentally went up to the boss and beat the game.

Astrael

I was in the upper 50s and only got the break souls. So probably a level thing

Doing a quick search it sounds like level 66 is the target, or at least for Velvet. I was level 69-70 for all my characters and got the 3rd mystic artes with the unlocked break souls, so that's probably it.

Fauve

I wish they didn't give those 3rd BS and MAs so late in the game. I mean, you get like 2 hours at most to enjoy them if you don't feel like going through the post-game stuff. And you can't even carry them over to an NG+.

Are there trophies for completing the game on hard or intense? I unlocked intense a while ago and now I want to switch to it but I'm probably halfway through the game (
at northgand after getting the geoboard
) and I don't want to screw up any trophies in case I downgrade back to hard.

jonjonaug

Holy moly, the
Marsh
was freaking awful.

Velvet killed her first human after 50 hours and she suddenly panicked. I realized she got Laphi PSTD, but she started going "OH NO" well before Teresa channeled 3 years ago Velvet.

Velvet's killed loads of humans either directly or indirectly by this point, she's shook because she can sympathize with Teresa and her brother

Top Bottom