• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces Coming to PSN. Xillia this Summer.

Soriku

Vesperia PS3 would be great, as late as it is. I don't think Namco is that awesome though. But it would definitely be a surprise.

Stuart444

Vesperia PS3 would be great, as late as it is. I don't think Namco is that awesome though. But it would definitely be a surprise.

If Namco releases Tales of Destiny: DC localized on the PS3, then I'd consider them awesome (more than I do now. I consider them somewhat 'awesome' due to the NNK localization, Graces f and releasing Xillia after Graces f sales)

I assume the knight edition will also have the pre-order only DLC costumes which last time I checked still weren't on PSN.

Can't wait to sit my physical copy of ToX next to my physical copy of ToG. Day 1 for me

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

What is so hard about it... I mean isn't the game there and most of the work already done? Isn't it just localization left to do?

Seems like you would make your money back and more getting it out to EU/US etc...

But I admit to being a little dense on these matters... not really following this part of the industry like some of you guys.

Flamfas

As much as I'd like more games for the Vita, we're probably better off not getting those.

Hearts R looks to have screwed with a lot of the original's story/character details.

Innocence R on the other hand, subpar graphics aside, is actually pretty fun to play (I imported and have been playing recently).

Probably wouldn't sell on Vita though. :/

Stuart444

Hearts R looks to have screwed with a lot of the original's story/character details.

Innocence R on the other hand, subpar graphics aside, is actually pretty fun to play (I imported and have been playing recently).

Probably wouldn't sell on Vita though. :/

I think I'm one of the few who really enjoyed the Hearts R demo and would probably enjoy the full game. Probably because I didn't play the original but eh.

Still, not every remake can improve on the original like Destiny PS2 did but I can understand why people who would expect more (if they enjoyed the original) from it would be disappointed :/ Maybe some day, I'll play both to compare.

Flamfas

Ah, yeah Stuart. Hearts is one of my favorites so the changes bother me. DestinyR is great though, yes. Makes me wish NB didn't let other companies handle their remakes

What is so hard about it... I mean isn't the game there and most of the work already done? Isn't it just localization left to do?

Vesperia PS3 had a lot of added content, beyond just adding Patty and Flynn into scenes. If they went with a subbed approach and used the Japanese voices to avoid having to reassemble the English cast, I could MAYBE see it happening, but I'm still doubtful.

ubercheez

Seems like you would make your money back and more getting it out to EU/US etc...

But I admit to being a little dense on these matters... not really following this part of the industry like some of you guys.

The problem is that the game already exists in EU/US, so the sales potential of the PS3 version is lower. It would sell to people who don't have an X360 and to the dedicated fans (like me) who would double dip, but apparently they decided that wasn't a big enough base to justify the second localization effort. Tales just isn't a strong enough series outside of Japan, unfortunately.

Flamfas

They're that bad? I though Hearts at least was getting somewhat decent impressions before.

They're not that bad objectively, but they are stripping some of the unique features of the games for same-y battle systems that don't feel inventive enough after seeing Xillia and Xillia 2.

Innocence R is the series' worst selling title in Japan, selling better only that Summoner's Lineage, a GBA spinoff game. They're struggling in Japan

Stuart444

Tales just isn't a strong enough series outside of Japan, unfortunately.

Which is sad because I think it deserves to be but alas. All I can hope is they keep releasing them outside of Japan and are okay with the sales.

Baba: Please be excited

Innocence R is the series' worst selling title in Japan, selling better only that Summoner's Lineage, a GBA spinoff game. They're struggling in Japan

Worse than tempest?

I got about 30 hours into Vesperia before i sold my 360 and forgot to back up the save. Hopefully they do something about that and put it out on more platforms :/ BTW, I've heard middling things as far as Graces is concerned. Worth getting it if i liked Vesperia?

Stuart444

Yup, unless digital sales (not counted in my link) are like 1.5x the retail sales

http://tokkurin.net/lite/archives/50809930.html

I wouldn't be surprised if they were (well maybe a little, I don't know how big Japan is into digital hand held titles) since almost every title I can think of gets a digital release and they are really pushing digital sales (which makes me question the price of the Vita memory cards but at least you can back up games to your PS3/PC which is some consolation)

I got about 30 hours into Vesperia before i sold my 360 and forgot to back up the save. Hopefully they do something about that and put it out on more platforms :/ BTW, I've heard middling things as far as Graces is concerned. Worth getting it if i liked Vesperia?

I'd think so, the battle system is the most praised thing about it and it's different from Vesperias system but I'd say it's worth a go if you don't mind paying the digital price anyway.

If you want a better combat system, yes.
If you want a better story or characters, maybe.

Story & Characters (Except Pascal, Sophie & Malik) are much worse in Graces.

FSLink

Banned
If you want a better combat system, yes.
If you want a better story or characters, maybe.

Story & Characters (Except Pascal, Sophie & Malik) are much worse in Graces.

I never really understood the story complaints as most Tales games are about that quality. Probably because NA players had the more story centric ones come over here? And even then I didn't think their stories were that great.
They should enjoy Xillia though. Everyone should really go Jude->Milla first too.

I'm not fond of the DLC added to the Knight Edition, but I guess it's nice they're trying to mix it up a bit for the English markets with promotional stuff like that.

I never really understood the story complaints as most Tales games are about that quality. Probably because NA players had the more story centric ones come over here? And even then I didn't think their stories were that great.
They should enjoy Xillia though. Everyone should really go Jude->Milla first too.

Graces story was a super boring, even for a tales, and I tried really really hard to like it, I still played it all but I don't want to ever play it again

Which is a shame because it has an amazing battle system

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Graces story was a super boring, even for a tales, and I tried really really hard to like it, I still played it all but I don't want to ever play iy again

Yeah, I think if it wasn't for Pascal the story would have been a snooze fest.

The battle system was fucking brilliant, so satisfying, basically kept me going through it.

Waiting for Xillia with open arms. Hopefully, it's good.

FSLink

Banned
Graces story was a super boring, even for a tales, and I tried really really hard to like it, I still played it all but I don't want to ever play it again

I play the series for the battle system so I didn't mind it. Plus considering it's the same team that did Rebirth's story I expected much much worse, haha. I'd rather have boring than laughably bad.

The battles in Xillia are not as fun as Graces unfortunately, thanks to the bosses. Normal non-boss battles are still pretty fun though and is really fast paced, but suffers when playing co-op due to the Link Arte system being incompatible with multiplayer.

I play the series for the battle system so I didn't mind it. Plus considering it's the same team that did Rebirth's story I expected much much worse, haha. I'd rather have boring than laughably bad.

I need some fucking motivation and plot to finish, everything about the plot and the world was boring.

I want Hearts R, how possible is a NA release? Sigh... i wish the tales translators weren't so slow

FSLink

Banned
I wouldn't hold my breath for Hearts R. I'd rather them save their resources for Xillia 2 and other future games if they're being picky.

The battles in Xillia are not as fun as Graces unfortunately, thanks to the bosses. Normal non-boss battles are still pretty fun though and is really fast paced, but suffers when playing co-op due to the Link Arte system being incompatible with multiplayer.

Laughably bad can still be interesting whereas boring is pretty much inherently uninteresting.

My number one requirement when it comes to games is that they keep me interested in whatever way they can and the most common way for that to happen is through the storyline and characters.

I'm far more likely to put a significant amount of time into a game with an interesting world/storyline/cast of characters and an average battle system then something with a great battle system where all of the other facets of the game put me to sleep.

Flamfas

I wouldn't hold my breath for Hearts R. I'd rather them save their resources for Xillia 2 and other future games if they're being picky.

This.

Also, Baba has been talking about wanting to make games reach overseas closer to their release in Japan. Maybe one surprise is that we'll be getting a new title this fall simultaneously with Japan? It's even the series' 15th anniversary in North America and for the 10th we also had a (near) simultaneous release (Vesperia) ...

EDIT:

Well, Baba is already teasing something to come after his conference at Wondercon next weekend

https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/314759664157999104

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I heard Hearts R removed some neat stuff anyway, and the demo wasn't that great to play through; the DS version was good, though. I'd rather them localize Xillia 2.

That is precisely it.

That is also why people will eventually like Xillia more.

RPGCrazied

I just want dat Xillia release date, hopefully at this wondercon thing. Rumor is it'll come out July 2nd, which is awesome, that is my birthday!

Shahed

I hope Summer means June/July and not September! And I really wish they'd put the digital versions up st or near launch. I would have gotten them, but now there's no point.

And the Knight version is a complete rip!

Flamfas

Hm? Like what? I noticed that the Tales cameo assists don't seem to be in. :(

The cameos and the Heal Stone were cut. I'm also of the opinion that the original's TP-free LMBS is far more fun than R's samey TP battle system. They also cut a lot of Hearts' unique spells.

EDIT:

They also removed avoidable enemy symbols and used random encounters. They also ditched the interconnected maps with a small World Map as a shortcut for a samey world map used in every game pre-Hearts

Top Bottom