• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy1456

Rpgmonkey said:
Maybe I just need art or something, she's shown too briefly and moves too much for me to really notice any details.

Pausing the video would clear up both of your problems. :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Rpgmonkey said:
Her design's nice, but her boots look huge to me for some reason.

Maybe I just need art or something, she's shown too briefly and moves too much for me to really notice any details.
I don't think it's a big boot, it looks like long black socks with a white boot.

Jiggy

ZealousD said:
What's your impression of her now that you've seen her full body, btw? My impression went down when I saw that big skirt. =/
I couldn't ask for much more--I wish her skirt went a little further down her legs, but that's literally all, and it's not even that big a deal.

I'd like to think that none of my love stems from nearly every Tales girl in recent memory having some element I really hate, but I guess I should bring that up since I do really think the Graces girl is a breath of fresh air here. Really not fond of those bizarre one-piece outfits that end in (very short) shorts like Kohak and Beryl (who was my favorite until seeing that), and Kohak also has twigs for legs. Judith's outfit tosses nearly everything I hate into a single design, while Estelle's outfit is best summed up as outlandish impracticality. Marta's another victim of Short Skirt Syndrome, but she has it much worse than the Graces girl. Ange's got a ludicrous skirt with some kind of funky bulge, and Hermana just frightens me. Innes is close to making my like list, but then she shows off her midriff and has white hair--literally the only noteworthy hair color I don't like.

Rita and Iria are the recent Tales girl designs I'm most happy with (though their socks are iffy), but they don't flat-out impress me the way the Graces girl does.

I really agree with what Fuu said while I was digging up pictures for this post, right down to liking her even more after the trailer:

Fuu said:
Her clothes are cute, from the little we saw the entire design feels natural to me. Liked it even more when I saw her in the trailer.
We're even speaking in the same terminology here. Take a look at what I said much earlier in the thread:
Jiggy said:
That Graces girl's design seems better literally every time I see the picture. So spot-on perfect in that she really looks like the type who achieves endearing qualities by a natural appeal that doesn't rely on being overwrought...
What's amazing is that we can sling around the term "natural" despite her having two hair ribbons, a butterfly pendant, long sleeves, and tall socks, but I think that somehow it just all comes together. She's been resonating with a lot of people here!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Even with such a brief glimpse, I think she has the best design for a Tales female character I've seen. Here's hoping her alternate costumes are just as good. :D

Rpgmonkey

No, I meant the boot.

I know what boot it reminds me of now though, so they seem like a normal size considering her legs now. :lol

jeremy1456 said:
Pausing the video would clear up both of your problems. :lol

But all the shots with her are kinda far or something. Makes it hard to see the really small details on her outfit like some weird trinket or something they always put on character designs.

jeremy1456

Rpgmonkey said:
No, I meant the boot.

I know what boot it reminds me of now though, so they seem like a normal size for her figure now. :lol

But all the shots with her are kinda far or something. Makes it hard to see the really small details on her outfit like some weird trinket or something they always put on character designs.

I was just poking fun at ya.

Gilgamesh

Jiggy said:
Total tangent, but I got a PM earlier today asking where my avatar came from. Considering that I've barely made any posts outside this thread since I changed avatars, I'll take this as yet another sign of the greatness of her design--even outside the realm of Tales fans!
Greatness of her design, or: GAF is rife with pedophiles.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pankaks said:
Suzak2u.jpg

Alright I will stop now.

No way, I was thinking Suzaku, but you actually posted it.

:p

Jiggy

Gilgamesh said:
Greatness of her design, or: GAF is rife with pedophiles.
Yes, and surely the dozens in here who have been praising Asbel the Disco Swordsman for months are gay or female.

Sagitario

NOT THE SAME MONSTERS AGAIN! ARRRRRRGH! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Abyss, Dawn of the New World, Vesperia, Innocence, RM1, RM2 and now Graces...

I don't mind recycling a few, but after Symphonia this is something the series is seriously lacking [at least the 3D ones]... they even reuse the same models within a single game so many times that there is no enemy diversity...

it'll be hard to look at graces after playing vesperia with its nice cel shaded graphics. graces had better get localized cuz i think it'll be the game to finally motivate me into buying a wii

c20090417_tov_10_cs1w1_750x.jpg

c20090417_tov_08_cs1w1_750x.jpg

looks like patty is the next anise aka an annoying brat

Tales of graces is really pretty. I still need to get through Symphonia and its sequel.

TALES
TALES
TALES
OH GOD I'M DROWNING IN THEM

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
comedy bomb said:
Tales of graces is really pretty. I still need to get through Symphonia and its sequel.

TALES
TALES
TALES

What sequel?! Tales of Symphonia NEVER had a a sequel.
fucking Emil.......

Jiggy

Looking at these screenshots, I have two relatively minor worries for Graces:

1) Like Vesperia, it'll have a bunch of enormous towns but they'll be riddled with invisible wall syndrome--full of gates, doors, and other open areas that look like they should go somewhere, but don't. I hope I'm wrong, but I get a strong "Zaphias" vibe from those castle town pictures.

2) Unlike Vesperia, it won't handle the story in such a way that one could feasibly argue at least four separate characters as the "main." Despite having Yuri's point of view, ToV effectively pulled an FFVI and gave most everybody a spotlight, which culminated in a final boss encounter where the game-ending speech went to your party leader instead of whatever story-designated lout the writers felt like. Granted that the Disco Swordsman is awesometastic, but I'd like some choice here too and the fact that either they're intentionally omitting every other character right now or simply haven't finished any of the other characters yet hasn't instilled much hope on this front.

Farore said:
NOT THE SAME MONSTERS AGAIN! ARRRRRRGH! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Abyss, Dawn of the New World, Vesperia, Innocence, RM1, RM2 and now Graces...

I don't mind recycling a few, but after Symphonia this is something the series is seriously lacking [at least the 3D ones]... they even reuse the same models within a single game so many times that there is no enemy diversity...
Well, Vesperia at least had the good sense to significantly recolor and texture some of them.

But what I don't understand is why they won't recycle the Symphonia monsters themselves, which were some of the only ones in the Tales series that I'd consider remotely memorable. Just off the top of my head, their slimes, gargoyles, elemental orbs, spiders, skeletons, liches, coffin-carrying-things, pumpkin-throwing trees, Raybits, and Murders (the giant floating mechanical enemies) were all cool, and I don't think most of them ever came back. Or even things like ropers and mandragoras, which do show in later Tales games but had their best incarnations in Symphonia.

Edit:
comedy bomb said:
TALES
TALES
TALES
After Symphonia and Vesperia, Namco can drown me any time!
As long as they actually localize the games. :(

Jiggy said:
I couldn't ask for much more--I wish her skirt went a little further down her legs, but that's literally all, and it's not even that big a deal.
Horrible suggestion. Ever heard of Zettai Ryouiki aka Absolute Territory? If you did you would understand the need for her skirt to be at that length.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jiggy said:
Looking at these screenshots, I have two relatively minor worries for Graces:

1) Like Vesperia, it'll have a bunch of enormous towns but they'll be riddled with invisible wall syndrome--full of gates, doors, and other open areas that look like they should go somewhere, but don't. I hope I'm wrong, but I get a strong "Zaphias" vibe from those castle town pictures.

2) Unlike Vesperia, it won't handle the story in such a way that one could feasibly argue at least four separate characters as the "main." Despite having Yuri's point of view, ToV effectively pulled an FFVI and gave most everybody a spotlight, which culminated in a final boss encounter where the game-ending speech went to your party leader instead of whatever story-designated lout the writers felt like. Granted that the Disco Swordsman is awesometastic, but I'd like some choice here too and the fact that either they're intentionally omitting every other character right now or simply haven't finished any of the other characters yet hasn't instilled much hope on this front.
eh, i wouldn't worry too much about it. at this point, i would expect they're releasing the base game information to excite the players, and then waiting to release the character information later. hell, we haven't even learned anything about Asbel Lhant
lol
other than he wants to protect things important to him (along with every other anime main character evar) and that he has disco kung fu awesomesauce abilities. instead, we get the general plot setup (there's a 3 way war brewing, and shit's going down) and the gameplay systems, such as the seamless world travel and new combat system. finally, keep in mind that this is Team Destiny, not Symphonia, they might do things differently.

so basically what i'm saying is keep your pants on Jiggy, we don't know enough yet.

bdouble

Jiggy said:

You can tell all that from some screen shots? Let alone screen shots with only 1 character, some monsters and a hit counter as the only hud element

Pankaks said:
What sequel?! Tales of Symphonia NEVER had a a sequel.
fucking Emil.......

What? Emil is easily one of the best main characters in a JRPG I've ever played. I can't think of anyone else that has as much character development as him. DotNW is probably one of the best (localized) Tales games too.

JaMarco

rainking187 said:
What? Emil is easily one of the best main characters in a JRPG I've ever played. I can't think of anyone else that has as much character development as him. DotNW is probably one of the best (localized) Tales games too.
no

Iam Canadian

rainking187 said:

Are you trying to pull an Astrolad or something?

I certainly hope so. D:

At any rate, I don't see why people seem disappointed by the graphics; they look fantastic to me, and as close to Vesperia as I could hope for the Wii to come. I also like how the Disco Swordsman (that's what he'll be known as to me forever!) is fighting what looks like a giant robot in the middle of an open field. Either that's a placeholder battle screen, or the world of Graces has a giant robot infestation. Personally, I'm hoping for the latter. :lol

Jiggy

Sometimes around here I wonder if I should insert an "I think" or "I wonder" or "I doubt" or "it's possible that" or "maybe" after every six words to get across when I'm speculating and talking about hopes as opposed to making presumptions/deductions/whatever people think I'm expressing. :lol Speaking of speculation, I've been saying this in IRC, but not sure if anyone else picked up on it...

Elvis -> replace "vi" with a different sound -> Elbas -> flip the beginning and ending -> Asbel

Intentional or not? You decide! :O

darkhunger said:
Horrible suggestion. Ever heard of Zettai Ryouiki aka Absolute Territory? If you did you would understand the need for her skirt to be at that length.
Never heard of it until now, but now that you've pointed it out, this is exactly the problem. :(

rainking187 said:
DotNW is probably one of the best (localized) Tales games too.
Yeah, I'd say that out of the Tales games I played (Phantasia GBA, Symphonia, Abyss, Radiant Mythology, Vesperia, and Dawn itself), it's definitely in the top six. :D
Top five because Phantasia GBA sucks so much.

Akai

Jiggy said:
Elvis -> replace "vi" with a different sound -> Elbas -> flip the beginning and ending -> Asbel

Intentional or not? You decide! :O

Hahaha...Asbel happens to be the name of the male protagonist in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, which might be a more likely inspiration, but that works too! :lol

Rpgmonkey

Battlefields and towns look pretty nice in Graces.

Though this makes 3D Tales #7 or 8 to reuse some monsters. That and the graphic style makes it easy to see that they're still using Abyss as a base for at least some things in the 3D games since then, with all the 3D games they've suddenly started making, it looks like it's going to be quite a while before they ever stop and create a bunch of all-new stuff as this looks like a cheap/quick way to make all of them more easily.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
rainking187 said:
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
grandjedi6 said:
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry
wait, i can't tell, are you mocking Emil or are you really sorry... i can't tell...

but yeah, Emil is a little bitch. Marta was the only thing that saved his character. and the game. i should really go out and buy it eventually...

MechaX

grandjedi6 said:

So...

... Is that Emil or Collette?

MechaX said:
So...

Hah. Yeah, Emil behaves like that, but he actually changes and develops as the game goes on unlike some characters. Probably only one of about three Tales main characters that are actually memorable.

Iam Canadian

MechaX said:
So...

At least Colette apologized when she had a good reason to (or as a taunt when blocking enemy attacks in battle). Emil just apologizes for everything.

In other words, when Colette does it, it's in-character, relevant, and charming. When Emil does it, it's just grating.

rainking187 said:
Probably only one of about three Tales main characters that are actually memorable.

I'll grant you that Emil is memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. I can't forget Emil no matter how hard I try.

Iam Canadian said:
At least Colette apologized when she had a good reason to (or as a taunt when blocking enemy attacks in battle). Emil just apologizes for everything.

Uh Emil had a better reason, everyone sees him as bad luck, and as such treats him like shit and tells him how much they hate him. Basically he's all fucked up from an extended period of abuse.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
rainking187 said:
Hah. Yeah, Emil behaves like that, but he actually changes and develops as the game goes on unlike some characters. Probably only one of about three Tales main characters that are actually memorable.

Yep, for who could forget Emil? Such an unique character, hell just look at him!:

mij7yq.jpg

Wait, that's not right. Lets try again:

20ubyc7.jpg

Ah no, that's not right either. He was taller than that...

dy94wz.jpg

Oh com'n now!

Well, whatever. The point is, what's-his-face was definitely rememberable... I think.

Aeana

Iam Canadian said:

In other words, when Colette does it, it's in-character, relevant, and charming. When Emil does it, it's just grating.
Are we talking about the same Colette? From Tales of Symphonia?

ethelred

Iam Canadian said:

Did you just call Colette charming? My good man, you need to get out of the IRC channels where Jiggy's creepy fetishism of demurely submissive fictional women is raised to the level of idolatry and meet some real ladies.

Firestorm

Aeana said:
Iam Canadian is a Jiggy alt.

Also, Yuri could probably slice Emil in half with one strike and nobody would even bat an eye.

Iam Canadian

Aeana said:

I don't have the exact numbers (but Jiggy does. :lol), but Colette's apologies never seemed gratuitous to me, especially compared to Emil, who acted like he was sorry for every breath he took.

Besides, I thought Colette was a more likeable character overall, so it didn't bother me when she apologized, unlike with Emil.

ethelred said:
Did you just call Colette charming? My good man, you need to get out of the IRC channels where Jiggy's creepy fetishism of demurely submissive fictional women is raised to the level of idolatry and meet some real ladies.

I do like Colette, but there are a number of female characters I like more. >_>

Firestorm said:
Iam Canadian is a Jiggy alt.

Also, Yuri could probably slice Emil in half with one strike and nobody would even bat an eye.

Nonsense. Jiggy and I can't be the same person because he doesn't love Mother 3 enough.

And I'd applaud Yuri if he sliced Emil in half. Heck, I'd applaud anyone who did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom