• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoogPaul said:
So Graces is just a one character RPG? Does it go into a battle screen or is it more adventure based?
I am actually praying it is (highly unlikely though) because after playing DQ 1 i really loved the whole one man army thing seems like i am in the minority in this though.

What's the part about 'redone camera angles in the cutscenes' part mean exactly? Referring to making changes for adding the new characters in or changes to the original cutscenes?

I don't recall any issue with the camera angles in the cutscenes. They were good other than the stiff animations, if you want to call them that.

Jiggy

flintstryker said:
I am actually praying it is (highly unlikely though) because after playing DQ 1 i really loved the whole one man army thing seems like i am in the minority in this though.
Not quite the same thing, but Vesperia's coliseum, at least, features an amazing run with one character of your choice versus hundreds of enemies that spawn seamlessly onto the field in mid-battle. I hope to see such greatness in every main Tales game from here on, including any and all remakes.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
mintylurb said:
"so Microsoft might have funded the localization of the game outside of Japan, which would explain why the logo was only on the North American version, and why it was released so quickly after the Japanese version. "

"the Xbox 360 version will be released in Europe this summer. If the PlayStation 3 version was announced for North America in the next few months, how would the people who felt they got suckered into buying an "incomplete" version? Like the possibly voice actor delay, to maximize the sales of the European version, they would need to delay a North America version of the PlayStation 3 version, causing sales to go to the import version"

Oh, mang. A very well presented hypothesis backed up with facts. I'm convinced. The ps3 version isn't being localized. Poor neojubei. QQ

Why poor me? I'm importing. :D

edit: Read the "article" and well it is just an guess about whether a US version of Versperia will be on PS3. Well ninja gaiden 2 and lost planet both had "only on xbox 360" logos so that part of the hypothesis does not hold much weight.

mintylurb

yurixflynn.jpg

ohh.jpg

Yuri and flynn crossing swords. So.. hawt~
0lr21.gif

Datschge

flintstryker said:
I am actually praying it is (highly unlikely though)
The last true "Team Destiny" game Destiny Remake actually allows for solo playthrough to be unlocked through the "Grade Shop" for those who want that. Maybe Graces will offer that as well.

Rpgmonkey

gregor7777 said:
What's the part about 'redone camera angles in the cutscenes' part mean exactly? Referring to making changes for adding the new characters in or changes to the original cutscenes?

I don't recall any issue with the camera angles in the cutscenes. They were good other than the stiff animations, if you want to call them that.

The producer briefly mentioned in a famitsu interview that they were revising/reviewing the camera angle in cutscenes when mentioning the changes in the PS3 version.

It might end up having no changes at all I guess, but I assume it means that cutscenes in the game are going to have redone camera angles. I don't know the extent to it or their purpose for doing it, besides the creators thinking something would've looked better if done this way.

Rpgmonkey said:
The producer briefly mentioned in a famitsu interview that they were revising/reviewing the camera angle in cutscenes when mentioning the changes in the PS3 version.

It might end up having no changes at all I guess, but I assume it means that cutscenes in the game are going to have redone camera angles. I don't know the extent to it or their purpose for doing it, besides the creators thinking something would've looked better if done this way.

Nice, thanks. I'm up for any improvements.

Darackutny

I hate to admit it, but even though the article doesn't have much going for it, I do feel somewhat threatened by the lack of a NA announcement. Does anyone here have any good reason to believe that this is coming out in NA?

Volcynika

Darackutny said:
I hate to admit it, but even though the article doesn't have much going for it, I do feel somewhat threatened by the lack of a NA announcement. Does anyone here have any good reason to believe that this is coming out in NA?

Wasn't Eternal Sonata PS3 not even announced for North America until like a few months after the Japanese one was announced?

Syril

Jiggy said:
Not quite the same thing, but Vesperia's coliseum, at least, features an amazing run with one character of your choice versus hundreds of enemies that spawn seamlessly onto the field in mid-battle. I hope to see such greatness in every main Tales game from here on, including any and all remakes.

The Tales of Destiny remake has that coliseum mode too. But it's really easy to get cornered and comboed to death since you can't free run to save your ass.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Firestorm said:
neojubei, serious question: Can you understand Japanese?Cannot unsee @_@

Some, haven't practice in a while but I still get by playing imported games like Shirokishi Monogatari or Rogue Galaxy. Heck I bought my first ps2 when I lived in Japan and my old roommate Yoshiki bought me MGS2. Awe the memories. If I run across something I either forgot the meaning or just plain don't know like some Kanji I usually break out one of my 3 Japanese denshi jisho and look it up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Volcynika said:
Wasn't Eternal Sonata PS3 not even announced for North America until like a few months after the Japanese one was announced?

ES PS3 was announced for Japan soon after the 360 version came out, and then a US release was announced several months later during E3.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wouldn't looking at a previous Tales game be a better indication of when an announcement might be? IIRC correctly we didn't get the official word for TOS: DOTNW until like 6 months after it was announced.

ZealousD

Jiggy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UpGQgj_wEs

(Fan) Subtitles for the Graces trailer. I can't verify their accuracy, of course, but I don't think these were posted before.

Yeah, I don't think this has been posted.

Anyway, the subtitles seem to match what we know about the story so far, so I guess they're probably accurate. Nothing really new is said though.

Azure J

I see the Disco Swordsman/Suzaku still retains his kick-fu abilities. Will there be spinning kicks and wall runs though? :lol

Jiggy

AzureJericho said:
Will there be spinning kicks and wall runs though? :lol
Can't even have walls unless they use rectangular battlefields for once!

Edit: ...h-hey, chotto matte yo. The battlefield outline in that castle screenshot is rectangular! :O

WYWY

Graces - in addition to the first batch of disappointing combat screens, now add giant empty rooms with minimal details to the list. I thought the last I'll see of this is in the PS2 era.

Seriously someone should post GC Tales of Symphonia screens to remind us what Namco could do when they bothered to put in resources.

Jiggy

WYWY said:
Graces - in addition to the first batch of disappointing combat screens, now add giant empty rooms with minimal details to the list.
...The game's only 30% done, supposedly. But even if that 30% is all the graphics work, it still looks stunning to me.

Seriously someone should post GC Tales of Symphonia screens to remind us what Namco could do when they bothered to put in resources.
Not so sure about that one.

52jrf6.jpg

15chvg3.jpg

Symphonia holds up very well to me, but it's still no Graces.

Rpgmonkey

WYWY said:

Small empty battlefields with "fake"-looking backgrounds, lack of interesting detail on the actual field, and heavy use of one color that looks dull and washed out? That one cliff shot looks better than a lot of the battlefields in Symphonia.

They gave this one screenshot that looks sorta nice. Nice sky view in the distance, trees and other plant-life on the nearby part of the field, and some decent lighting from a nearby tree or something. Looks better than any of the shots they've given here, unfortunately they haven't given it out.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
WYWY said:
Graces - in addition to the first batch of disappointing combat screens, now add giant empty rooms with minimal details to the list. I thought the last I'll see of this is in the PS2 era.

i don't think you're going to like that result...

anyway, it looks like there might be a few more party members, ones that were conveniently edited out. the size of the rooms is impressive. just some vague musing, but it would kind of be cool to have larger scale battles, like with more than just the usual 4, since these battle maps are definitely huge.

Fuu said:
SCREW THE RULES, I HAVE KUNG FU DISCO POWERS.

Azure J

crowphoenix said:
I will gladly play Tales of Disco Suzaku.

Man, seriously, anyone having any preliminary ideas on what the title of the Official Thread will be?

Official Tales of Graces Thread of Panic at The Discotech?
Official Tales of (Saturday Night) Graces Thread?
Official Tales of Graces Thread of Wall Run, Spinkicks, and LELLLOUCH!
Official Tales of Graces Thread of Jiggy's Favorite Female Lead

The possibilities are endless. :lol

Jiggy

AzureJericho said:
Official Tales of Graces Thread of Jiggy's Favorite Female Lead
Hey now, I'm calling her Best Girl Design Ever and not Best Girl Ever. :p She'd need like six tons of synergistic awesome before she could lay claim to that latter title!

...Though speaking of designs, I hope Graces has lots of outfits like Team Symphonia games. They always make my replays so much more fun.

Edit: Total tangent, but I got a PM earlier today asking where my avatar came from. Considering that I've barely made any posts outside this thread since I changed avatars, I'll take this as yet another sign of the greatness of her design--even outside the realm of Tales fans!

ZealousD

Jiggy said:
Hey now, I'm calling her Best Girl Design Ever and not Best Girl Ever. :p She'd need like six tons of synergistic awesome before she could lay claim to that latter title!

...Though speaking of designs, I hope Graces has lots of outfits like Team Symphonia games. They always make my replays so much more fun.

Edit: Total tangent, but I got a PM earlier today asking where my avatar came from. Considering that I've barely made any posts outside this thread since I changed avatars, I'll take this as yet another sign of the greatness of her design--even outside the realm of Tales fans!

What's your impression of her now that you've seen her full body, btw? My impression went down when I saw that big skirt. =/

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Her clothes are cute, from the little we saw the entire design feels natural to me. Liked it even more when I saw her in the trailer. I never dig the designs of Tales girls this early, if she dies near the start of the game it'll be such a letdown.

I made a little gif. We have a gif now.

1442zjc.gif

Rpgmonkey

Her design's nice, but her boots look huge to me for some reason.

Maybe I just need art or something, she's shown too briefly and moves too much for me to really notice any details.

Jiggy said:

Maybe they could do it now that they don't have to worry about having to create and animate a whole bunch of sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom