• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Though I'll probably be disappointed, I hope that one shot for She Of Red (72) is coincidence and not indication that she'll constantly be using that hands-folded pose. :/

In every game--Tales or otherwise--those things inexplicably annoy me when I see them or anything like them; Marle in Chrono Trigger seemed very out of character when standing still, a certain flower girl mixed folded hands with a head bob to drive me insane (further than I already was, at any rate) and it was probably the greatest of my many reasons I was glad I'd never see her again, I didn't warm up to Colette nearly as quickly as whatever people might imagine since her talking animation reminded me of said flower girl, Estelle was knocked down several notches (if her what-in-the-weird running animation didn't already, anyway) and I certainly don't forgive her for being a princess since Natalia lived without it and she was splendid, Judith was exactly like Marle and for very similar reasons, and I could probably think of others if I tried.

Obviously not insurmountable since I like three of those five and Estelle's alright enough, but it's still an annoying pose to me.

This shot's fine, though. As for Sophie... I'll try to get used to her, but I wish I could fuse her art with her game design. Her game eyes seem off and her game hair is real-physics-droopy-water-faucet instead of fantasy-impossible-heart-shaped, while her art makes her legs look thinner than her arms, which doesn't seem right.

Rpgmonkey

SilverLunar said:
The characters' model isn't that good.
Hoping these are placeholders TBH.
Red and Purple specially.

It looks to be using an improved version of the engine used for Abyss and Symphonia 2 instead of what they made for Vesperia.

Vesperia stayed consistent in the final version with what was shown in the very first trailer, but for whatever reason the games using the other engine always seem to start off pretty poor or with placeholder stuff, but over time get changes and improvements.

And Asbel's sheath changes with the sword he's using, just like Yuri's did. Glad that they seem to be keeping that detail from now on. :D

Sagitario

c20090614_tov_04_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

That's cool! I've always liked the cameo stuff in the Tales games...

Also, Graces looks really nice and it doesn't have circle shadows :D ...

And these...

97.jpg

96.jpg

92.jpg

Are waaaay to cute for their own good :p ...

Rpgmonkey

Eh, looks like the other stuff about the female characters in Graces is fake.

Sophie's (well, apparently it's SoPhie, whatever the point of that's supposed to be) styles are Martial Arts and Magic. She's speculated to be around 13 years old, 148 (140?) Cm tall, and weights 39 Kg.

Looks like the other girl didn't appear at all.

It elaborates on the Style Shift stuff, but it's not that clear of a scan. I'm guessing the basic idea behind the system from just looking at it is to switch between the A and B buttons to mix up your combos.

The stuff about Vesperia is pretty much completely old news. New monsters, secret missions, locations, costumes as a bonus for preordering the game (
until it becomes DLC sometime after it releases, for a small fee of course :p
), and a password that you can use to do something in VS.

The VS stuff is basically old stuff too. You can customize your characters, (obviously considering the genre) you can make different rules for battle, and use items in battle.

Akai

Rpgmonkey said:
Sophie's (well, apparently it's SoPhie, whatever the point of that's supposed to be) styles are Martial Arts and Magic. She's speculated to be around 13 years old, 148 (140?) Cm tall, and weights 39 Kg.

Well the martial arts makes a hell of a lot more sense considering her gauntlets and that one recent screen that showed her fighting up-close...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Rpgmonkey said:
Eh, looks like the other stuff about the female characters in Graces is fake.

Looks like the other girl didn't appear at all.

It elaborates on the Style Shift stuff, but it's not that clear of a scan. I'm guessing the basic idea behind the system from just looking at it is to switch between the A and B buttons to mix up your combos.
well that's balls :'(

anyway, i guess the gauntlets match her style, though i have a general fear that Red won't end up as playable and will end up dead within the first few hours. if that's the case, i better CARE about her before she dies. you hear that Namco? ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY NO AWESOME CHARACTER MODELS ARE TO DIE IN VAIN WITHOUT AN EMOTIONAL IMPACT.

hellclerk

yeah, that's some low quality right there. either way though, battles looks like alot of fun and a blast to play, though it looks like DISCO DUDE might be just as annoying and whiny as any other tales of lead, though it could just mean he's more callous and brooding than whiny and idyllic. i could deal with the former...

on the bright side, looks like Red is spunky and assertive, and since she doesn't seem to be the heroine, that makes her even better. and we don't even know her real name yet! i don't care, Red Defense Force, ASSEMBLE!!!! *blows conch shell*

hellclerk

Calints Neos said:
She so generic though
who, Red? genericness rarely comes from design in a literary context, but from personality (unless you want to talk blond hair, blue eyes, huge boobs). we have yet to get any real information on that front, so in the mean time, i'm giving benefit of the doubt. of course Red's personality is going to have to fit SOME archetype, but that's more to how "there is nothing original" anymore than lazy story design.

MechaX

neo2046 said:
Wii Tales of Graces Trailer from Tales of Festival (low Quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtPnzDrp4Sc

Hm. I forgot that they were using the Abyss enemies again. But other than that, it looks pretty interesting. It seems like they are finally going to eschew the Free Run concept and just have the battles with full 3D controls (although, I do think they should have done that to begin with). Also, the side stepping seems to be more in line with Star Ocean 4's Blindsides than anything else. With that said, it seems like the battle system is taking a bigger leap forward than any of Team Symphonia's games did.

This is a Team Destiny game, right?

Dante23

Farore said:
And these...

http://www.gpara.com/pickupnews/news/090615_tales_title/img/popup/97.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.gpara.com/pickupnews/news/090615_tales_title/img/popup/96.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.gpara.com/pickupnews/news/090615_tales_title/img/popup/92.jpg

Are waaaay to cute for their own good :p ...

And those are from?

I'm curious, Tear is way too cute.

Anise looks exactly like in the game... xD

Datschge

MechaX said:
It seems like they are finally going to eschew the Free Run concept
Yes (finally 2D Tales battle speed applied to 3D).
MechaX said:
and just have the battles with full 3D controls
No, so far it looks like free run is completely replaced by the focus on back- and circle sidestepping.
MechaX said:
(although, I do think they should have done that to begin with).
Full 3D controls would not fit in the Tales' linear battle system. Also I doubt you could make something like that as fast as it appears to be in the video.
Dante23 said:
And those are from?
I think those are from the upcoming Tales of the Abyss Animation Fandisk or something.

Firestorm

Star Ocean can stick with full 3D battles. I like my Tales with Linear Motion whatchamalllit battles.

What is the creepy Abyss stuff from?

Rpgmonkey

Wow, the new camera angle actually makes the battle system look a lot more "3D" than any other 3D Tales game did, especially in combination with side-stepping. It's kinda cool looking.

Combat looks fun, and the field map seems pretty nice.

Jiggy

Overworld looks amazing, sidestepping looks even amazing, moves look even more amazing than that. Great to see the heroine being a martial artist after all.

doomed1 said:
on the bright side, looks like Red is spunky and assertive, and since she doesn't seem to be the heroine, that makes her even better. and we don't even know her real name yet! i don't care, Red Defense Force, ASSEMBLE!!!! *blows conch shell*
Wha? I wish I could see whatever you're seeing since I'd love her to be spunky and assertive, but aside from pushing The Disco Swordsman from behind in her one really cool scene--I think I'm a sucker for those--she's got a folded-hands pose, a fist-lifted-as-if-clutching-her-heart pose, she retreats behind Asbel in her first appearance, and (unlike Sophie) she steps back when one of the soldiers approaches with his weapon.

If anything, with the previous info about her weapons being false, at this point I'm worried she'll be a timid healer. I want to play as her. :(

wrowa said:
You can't call that low quality. To call this trailer low quality is an insult to other low quality videos. This is more like no quality.

Thanks for the trailer, though. Can't wait to see it in better quality.
This.

My eyes and ears hurt!

TreIII

Heh heh...this might end up being the first 3D Tales I actually LIKE!

Go Graces! You shall be mine, whenever you are released unto the world! :D

hellclerk

Jiggy said:
Overworld looks amazing, sidestepping looks even amazing, moves look even more amazing than that. Great to see the heroine being a martial artist after all.

Wha? I wish I could see whatever you're seeing since I'd love her to be spunky and assertive, but aside from pushing The Disco Swordsman from behind in her one really cool scene--I think I'm a sucker for those--she's got a folded-hands pose, a fist-lifted-as-if-clutching-her-heart pose, she retreats behind Asbel in her first appearance, and (unlike Sophie) she steps back when one of the soldiers approaches with his weapon.

If anything, with the previous info about her weapons being false, at this point I'm worried she'll be a timid healer.
basically, it's exactly HOW she pushes him coupled with her character design. her look isn't as straight forward tomboy as Martia or Sophie is, but her movements in the last trailer and this one paint her just a bit. for example, in the first trailer we saw her in, she ran apart from DISCO DUDE, meaning that she doesn't need saving and is in fact more than capable of hightailing it on her own. then in the scene before we meet Sophie, we see her in an combat ready pose. her hand is outstretched across her chest and slightly turned away (more on that later). this, combined with her pushing of DISCO DUDE gives evidence that she is independent and assertive. exactly how the push was animated implies a playful disposition, which in turn implies that she's spunky and coy.

what my analysis of Red paints is not your typical tomboy genki girl, but rather a type playful tsundere chick. she's clearly feminine in the sense that she's a bit more reserved and coy than your typical tomboy archetype, but still very spunky and thus awesome.

i also have a sneaking suspicion that Red's a coward as well. considering that she ran in front of DISCO DUDE when they were trying to get away from the tanks, that she didn't keep too close to him when they were cornered, and that she recoiled from the soldier's bayonets. personally, i think a character flaw like that would be kinda cute.

anyway, back to the pose. the first thing i thought when i saw Red standing there, i thought of ninjas in pop culture. the second thing was spell caster. after seeing her stance was more upright, i came to the conclusion that she's probably a magic heavy character.

now i know what you're thinking jiggy, "oh God, it's just as i feared, she's the idiot/wussy healer!" but i don't think that's accurate. we already know that while Sophie fights with her fists, she also heals, meaning that i don't think Red is the healer. rather, i think that Red is going to fill in the position of offensive caster. no, i don't think she's going to be a timid healer (though it's possible she would be able to do both), rather, she's more likely to be a slightly full of herself, spunky, but potentially cowardly spellcaster.

I'm reading too much into this aren't i?
i swear, if i get all of this right, from a collective of like 15 seconds of screen time, i should get a tag or something.

doomed1 said:
i swear, if i get all of this right, from a collective of like 15 seconds of screen time, i should get a tag or something.

(neutral) doomed1
Knows way to much about Tales and Japanese archtypes.
(Today, 11:06 PM)
Reply | Quote

:p
Anyway, good observations.

doomed1 said:
basically, it's exactly HOW she pushes him coupled with her character design. her look isn't as straight forward tomboy as Martia or Sophie is, but her movements in the last trailer and this one paint her just a bit. for example, in the first trailer we saw her in, she ran apart from DISCO DUDE, meaning that she doesn't need saving and is in fact more than capable of hightailing it on her own. then in the scene before we meet Sophie, we see her in an combat ready pose. her hand is outstretched across her chest and slightly turned away (more on that later). this, combined with her pushing of DISCO DUDE gives evidence that she is independent and assertive. exactly how the push was animated implies a playful disposition, which in turn implies that she's spunky and coy.

what my analysis of Red paints is not your typical tomboy genki girl, but rather a type playful tsundere chick. she's clearly feminine in the sense that she's a bit more reserved and coy than your typical tomboy archetype, but still very spunky and thus awesome.

i also have a sneaking suspicion that Red's a coward as well. considering that she ran in front of DISCO DUDE when they were trying to get away from the tanks, that she didn't keep too close to him when they were cornered, and that she recoiled from the soldier's bayonets. personally, i think a character flaw like that would be kinda cute.

anyway, back to the pose. the first thing i thought when i saw Red standing there, i thought of ninjas in pop culture. the second thing was spell caster. after seeing her stance was more upright, i came to the conclusion that she's probably a magic heavy character.

now i know what you're thinking jiggy, "oh God, it's just as i feared, she's the idiot/wussy healer!" but i don't think that's accurate. we already know that while Sophie fights with her fists, she also heals, meaning that i don't think Red is the healer. rather, i think that Red is going to fill in the position of offensive caster. no, i don't think she's going to be a timid healer (though it's possible she would be able to do both), rather, she's more likely to be a slightly full of herself, spunky, but potentially cowardly spellcaster.

I thought they only said that SP uses "re-gen/ re-birth" Magic. From the trailer she seems to attack with Mid-Long ranged Magic attacks (but maybe thats cause the trailer is crap and I can't see what shes doing).

At the very least it seems like Lil Red is a party member. (the the first hour or so is just a long ass cutscene)

Jiggy

I forgot to mention this last time, but I do love the animation in that Graces trailer and it's very rare for me to say so about a game with 3D character models. I'm not an expert enough to be able to tell if they're using motion capture or not, but if they were I wouldn't be surprised.

doomed1 said:
lengthy stuff
Well, I definitely hope you're right about her playful side. I always like characters with spunky, offbeat, never-serious personalities--which aren't necessarily in conflict with reserved personalities (in other words, not by definition), but they do turn out that way more often than not. And I hope you're wrong about her coward aspect. :p Actually, what would be most awesome is if she had the personality of a Zelos where she backs off and plays the fool just to keep others off-guard about her. I'm not willing to hope for it, though.

I edited to add a new sentence, probably while you were writing, but I hope that if she really is a mage she at least has some melee-worthy attacks. I'd play her even with something so minimal, but pure mages I can't handle.

kiryogi

Banned
My god, I think you guys are reading way too much into this, and off of so little. It would have been more reasonable have you played it or seen more of her in action, but that little bit means nothing!!!

Prax

Just saw that trailer..

I like the animations so far for the characters, which is good!
A shame about the weapons things. Can Red still have a spear, please? D:

I too am unsure about Red's personality just from those few seconds, but I am afraid she's going to turn out like Tear and Anise combined or something.. :|

Although, maybe they'll put a twist on it like having her hands folded in front pose and thinking "(wow, you guys are boring!)" or running behind Asbel and saying "You'll have to do for a meat shield!".

Otherwise... *shakes fist*

Jiggy

kiryogi said:
I think you guys are reading way too much into this, and off of so little. It would have been more reasonable have you played it or seen more of her in action, but that little bit means nothing!!!
But life's no fun without wild speculation. :(

It's all doomed1 anyway, what's this "you guys" stuff? :p I only said his take isn't what I got out of the video and that I'm worried about my worst-case scenario.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I can't say I can glean too much character information from a trailer like that (particularly one of such low quality), but, like Jiggy, I'm really hoping that Red, as we've apparently dubbed her, is more spunky and assertive than your typical timid healer. I'd hope for her to be completely off-the-wall and quirky, but I don't really get that impression from her.

On the other hand, the combat looks absolutely terrific. I love the fast pace, and I can't wait to chain together some amazing combos on some hapless enemies. Battles are the reason I play Tales games, and seeing the combat system for this one in action has sent my hype through the roof.

hteng

Banned
daaaamm looks like graces will be an incredible fun game, then again, you only have 2 characters on screen?

Rpgmonkey

Hero of Legend said:
No... but there have only been 4 in total, this being the fourth.

Counting ports, there's eight so far.

Though five of the eight released in NA at least, we missed one (it was a port anyway), and the other two haven't even released in Japan yet. As long as the game's new, 3D, and on a console, they have a 100% localization rate so far.

Graces is pretty much a lock for an English release at some point, just a matter of when.

Team Destiny showing Team Symphonia how to do a 3D Tales battle system? :p Finally a 3D Tales that promises the speed and tightness of the 2D Tales? In Team Destiny I trust :D

Looks great and I can't wait to see a HQ version of the trailer. I'm MUCH more excited for this than I was for Vesperia.

Rpgmonkey said:
Counting ports, there's eight so far.

Though five of the eight released in NA at least, we missed one (it was a port anyway), and the other two haven't even released in Japan yet. As long as the game's new, 3D, and on a console, they have a 100% localization rate so far.

Graces is pretty much a lock for an English release at some point, just a matter of when.
It better be. This is one of my few highly anticipated Wii games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom