• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

ot3euu29.jpg

infonewi0sb8.png

Platform: PS Vita, PS TV
Players: 1
Developer: Bandai Namco Studios Inc.
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Rating: Teen
Release Date: November 11th, 2014 (NA)
November 14th, EU
storynewy3s2c.png

Tales of Hearts R is the story of Kor Meteor, a young man living in a small village by the sea, trained in sword arts by his grandpappy.

Kor finds a young woman, Kohaku Hearts and her brother Hisui washed up on the beach. The pair are on a search for a Soma weapon. Kohaku is attacked by a witch and infected, and in Kor's attempt to cure her using his own Soma weapon, he shatters Kohaku's spiria (the essence of her heart and emotions) and the pieces are scattered across the world. What follows is a journey as Hisui, Kor and Kohaku set off to restore her spiria! On their journey, they will be joined and aided by a diverse and eccentric cast of characters!
castnewldsmo.png

Click the pictures for expanded views

Kor Meteor
Originally "Shing Meteoryte" in the Japanese version, Kor is a young man with a deep curiosity about the world. After his encounter with the Hearts sibling, his attempt to cure Kohaku from an infection will set the game's journey in motion. 16 years old, uses a sword.

Kohaku Hearts
A girl traveling the world with her brother in search of Soma. Kohaku is guided by the "voice" of her spiria. Kor's attempt to save her from infection ends up shattering her spiria (emotional core), rendering her virtually emotionless. Her name "Kohaku" means "amber", an organic gemstone. 17 years old, uses a baton.

Hisui Hearts
Kohaku's older brother. Due to family history, he is quite overprotective of his sister. Because of that protective streak, Hisui is cold towards Kor because of the result of his actions with Kohaku. He looks rough and tries to act cool, but he has quite the hot-headed streak. In Japanese, his name "Hisui" means "jade", a gemstone. 18 years old, uses gauntlets.

Innes Lorenz
A woman who wields a surprising level of strength, Innes is the manager of the transport shop "Every Day is a Peaceful Day". She initially accompanies the group to help sell her wares. Her name is derived from the mineral lorenzenite. 24 years old, uses a gigantic axe-blade-sword thing.

Beryl Benito
A runaway young girl who left her village seeking to become a court painter. She is naive and easily misled, and his a surprising nihilistic streak. Her name is derived from the minerals beryl and benitoite. 18 years old, wields...a paintbrush
Yes, really.

Kunzite
Kunzite is a 2,000 year old mechanical guardian knight with parts that mimic and emulate human emotions. He is a secret from the public, and his name comes from the gemstone kunzite. 2,000 years old, uses blades attached to tentacles.

Galad Grinus
Galad is a veteran Soma master who joins Kor's band of heroes in the hope of wiping the Xerom out of the world. He has a tragic past with the Xerom and thus is cold and distant at first, but his heart eventually warms to the group.

Calcedny Arkham
Originally only an NPC in Hearts, Calcedny makes an appearance in Hearts R as a playable character. He is the leader of the Crystal Knights and a devout follower of the Baraya faith. He is also a skilled swordsman. Calcedny's name is derived from the mineral chalcedony.
gameplaynew6dsgn.png

Because of the switch to fully-3D battles, Tales of Hearts R has a completely redesigned battle system called the "Aerial Chase Linear Motion Battle System" (ARC-LBMS).

Random enemy encounters on the field make a return. Once in battle, the "chase link" mechanic enables characters to knock enemies into the air and perform a combo. Kor can chase enemies into the air and follow up with a cross chase team attack. Holding the attack button causes Kor to perform a "chase finisher."

There are items found in chests around the series, utilized in a variety of fashions: battle, cooking/healing recipes, overcoming obstacles/objects, etc. Leveling up is done by using Soma Build Points (SBP), the "soma" being the character's weapon. These soma thus evolve, giving the characters new abilities. SBPs can also be assigned to strengthen character stats (called Spir Parameters).

Mystic Artes also make a return, with new Mystic Artes for Hearts R. Union Artes are also found within the game, which are special attacks that are unique to particular pairs of characters. Special accessories called "Combo Commands" (activated by specific button presses) also add to the battle system.
screenshotsa6sjh.png

trailernewgis2j.png

faqnewafsql.png

1. I had no idea this was being released. Where can I buy it in retail?
    Europe is getting a full retail release, in the USA it is sold exclusively in retail at GameStop and exclusively at EB Games and VGP in Canada. You can also order from the Bandai Namco Store in the USA (shipped by Amazon).
  2. I only buy digital, can I still get the retail preorder DLC?
    Yes. You can purchase the Digital Limited Edition on the PSN instead and get the same six costumes as retail purchasers. The Digital Limited Edition will actually be available until the end of November.
  3. Wait, hold up. Preorder DLC?
    Right! If you preordered in the USA/Canada, you will receive a voucher for six costumes which are based on Tales of the Tempest, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Vesperia. If you preordered in Europe, you will get the "Soma Link Edition" aka a "Day One" edition which also includes bonus costumes. Purchasing the Soma Link Edition of the game will get you a code that will allow you to participate in a drawing to win a Japanese collector’s edition of Tales of Hearts R. There will be five winners. If you win, in addition to the collector’s edition, you will receive a unique congratulatory video from Tales producer Hideo Baba, as well as a personalized outer case with your name on it.
  4. How long is the game?
    Easily 50 hours for the story, many more (around 100) if you do option activities.
  5. How is the quality of the localization?
    For early impressions, check the review thread here to see what people are saying about the quality. The OT will also surely contain impressions
  6. What is new in this game? Is the "R" for "Remaster" or "Remake"?
    Hearts R is not merely a remaster, it is a full remake. The sprites from the original DS game have now been replaced by fully 3D models. The game also includes new anime scenes made by Production I.G. There is also now full voice acting for the main story. Additionally, previously an NPC, Chalcedony Arkham is now playable, and the all-new character of Galad Grinus has been added in!
  7. Oh voice-acting huh? How is the dub?
    Sorry friend. No dub here. English subtitles for Americans/Canadians and English, French, Italian, German and Spanish subtitles for Europe.
  8. What the hell does your OT title mean?
    I'm terrible with witticisms. Tales of Hearts is a lot about "the power of love" and drawing power from "our hearts combined," so it's a play on that. Apologies for being criminally uncreative!

Please let me know if there is anything wrong or missing.

Apologies if the OT isn't very good, especially in comparison to some of the amazing other Tales threads that have been posted. This is my very first one. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism you all have to offer!

LostAnkh

Totally forgot this was coming out tomorrow, already have this pre-ordered and paid off.

I hope this isn't as boring as Xillia

Hikami

First Tales game here, pretty damn excited.
Love that title, actually got it without the explanation. :p

I ordered from the Bamco store and it says its still not shipped.. but still says it will arrive on the 11th.. hm

Good job on the OT! This is what I wanted from JRPGVita, so even if there are some localization issues that upset me (no dub, name changes, etc), I'm still glad to be able to play it at all.

Cess007

Never heard much impressions of this game. Among the other Tales, how does the Story/Characters rank? Good? Worse than Graces?

That title is pretty good, lol.
I might get this but I dunno, loads of games are coming out that I want and no time to play them but I want to play something on my Vita.

First Tales game here, pretty damn excited.
Love that title, actually got it without the explanation. :p

I ordered from the Bamco store and it says its still not shipped.. but still says it will arrive on the 11th.. hm

Have you played other JRPGs with real time battle systems before? Like Star Ocean for example. It isn't exactly the same, well they are completely different from Tales games :p but, it helps. Except fast paced combat.

nikos

Preordered and paid for, another one to add to the gigantic Vita backlog.

Never finished a Tales game for some reason, but hopefully this will change that.

Wonder how limited the retail release is.

Never heard much impressions of this game. Among the other Tales, how does the Story/Characters rank? Good? Worse than Graces?
I've heard the story is good and aided by the game having one of the better battle systems. Someone who has played the Japanese release would be a better resource for impressions though.

Why is the DS version considered superior to the Vita version? Also is this a scene for scene remake with upgraded graphics or a reimagining?

I'll add this to the OP, but worth mentioning what exactly the preorder bonus looks like.

Europe gets the "Soma Link Edition" aka a "Day One" edition which includes bonus costumes. Purchasing the Soma Link Edition of the game will get you a code that will allow you to participate in a drawing to win a Japanese collector’s edition of Tales of Hearts R. There will be five winners. If you win, in addition to the collector’s edition, you will receive a unique congratulatory video from Tales producer Hideo Baba, as well as a personalized outer case with your name on it.

The costumes are based on Tales of the Tempest, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Vesperia

America/Canada get just the six costumes. Darn Europeans!

Nice OT and liking the title!

Weirdly only got into the Tales games in the last 18 months, when I got given an unwanted copy of Abyss for the 3DS. Since then gone through Graces F, the Symphonia collection, and Xilia 1, and really enjoyed them all.

This'll actually be my first retail purchase for the series, which I find oddly exciting. I just don't feel like I can call myself a true fan of something if I've not bought a physical copy at launch.

Hikami

Have you played other JRPGs with real time battle systems before? Like Star Ocean for example. It isn't exactly the same, well they are completely different from Tales games :p but, it helps. Except fast paced combat.
Hm.. don't think I've played any other JRPGs like that.
I did play the Tales of Vesperia (demo) when I used to own a 360 so I think I know how the battle system works, sort of.
I regret not buying that game when I still had my 360, apparently a lot of people call Vesperia the best Tales game?

Foshy

I'm pretty pumped for this. Only Tales I played was Vesperia and I really really liked that one. Heard it was the best of the series, so I'm not going into Hearts with extremely high expectations, just hoping for a fun JRPG with a good battle system.

Should be getting it around Thursday, I'll finish the main plot of Freedom Wars before starting it though.

Why is the DS version considered superior to the Vita version? Also is this a scene for scene remake with upgraded graphics or a reimagining?

The DS version's battle system was on a 2-D plain like older Tales games. It was also heavily based on Tales of Destiny R's battle system of using a CC like system and being pretty high fast pace.

The Vita version instead is an upgraded version of Tales of Vesperia's battle system which isn't saying that its bad. It's just different from what this game originally had.

The DS game's graphics were also pretty good being more of the sprite variety instead of the 3-D models. It's just that there were less things that needed to be fixed in Hearts compared to Innocence and some people could just see them all as unnecessary changes.

Basically, it's (completely) different now so it sucks.

Firestar

You should probably add that it's sold also at VGP in Canada and from what I hear the bandai namco store in US (shipped by amazon).
Just so people don't think they're stuck with gamestop/eb games

I did play the Tales of Vesperia (demo) when I used to own a 360 so I think I know how the battle system works, sort of.
I regret not buying that game when I still had my 360, apparently a lot of people call Vesperia the best Tales game?

Not sure. Tales fans are probably even more divisive than Final Fantasy fans in terms of which one is their favorite honestly. I didn't get to play Vesperia myself, I did the same thing as you, demo for Vesperia on the 360 and never got it. Regret it every day. Problem is the best version of that game, that still starts feuds, is the PS3 version that was Japanese only and never got localized.

I know people that won't buy any Tales games because the PS3 version didn't get localized. People were extremely bitter about it. All the games, or most of them are good in their own right. I know people who say their favorite is Xillia, or Abyss or Legenida.

Mine is Symphonia personally.

The DS version's battle system was on a 2-D plain like older Tales games. It was also heavily based on Tales of Destiny R's battle system of using a CC like system and being pretty high fast pace.

The Vita version instead is an upgraded version of Tales of Vesperia's battle system which isn't saying that its bad. It's just different from what this game originally had.

The DS game's graphics were also pretty good being more of the sprite variety instead of the 3-D models. It's just that there were less things that needed to be fixed in Hearts compared to Innocence and some people could just see them all as unnecessary changes.

Basically, it's (completely) different now so it sucks.

So this doesn't use CC? Is the story the same or is it just loosely based on the original?

Labadal

This and Dragon Age: Inquisition and Age of Wonders will soak up all my gaming time in November. I have a feeling that I will finish none of them until sometime next year.

Fraxin

People usually consider Destiny to be the best (haven't played it yet). Others claim either Symphonia or Vesperia. I heard Hearts has a pretty enjoyable cast compared to the latest entries.

£35 for the retail version is a bit steep for me, any chance you think the PSN version will be cheaper?

..he says knowing how expensive P4G is on Euro PSN.

Pics_nao

Decided to get this tomorrow digitally instead of Senran Kagura. I'll finally understand everything after playing through the DS game twice and R once.

Prelude.

Great OT, good job.

But you should upload the expanded profile pics somewhere instead of linking them because some of them don't work.

Top Bottom