• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

Cormano

There's ONE missable Namcoin in this. It's the place with
duck boat
Otherwise, enjoy.

Getting platinum in first play through is possible, but it requires shittons of grinding.
So you're better off doing it in NG+.

As with all Tales games, plat is far easier on NG+ due to things like x5 or x10 XP, etc.

Grade is grindable in Hearts though, unlike some other Tales where there's a finite amount you can get in the first playthrough.

Do you guys recommend aiming for the cooking trophy during the 1st play-through ?

Can someone tell me how to get to the
Airship dock? I can't remember where in the story it is, but it's near the town Lion something that has a ferris wheel.

Played about 4 hours, I'm enjoying it.
Story has good pacing right from the start and I'm surprised by the amount of anime cutscenes.
I just hope Kohaku gets her personality back soon, I was liking her a lot already. The group is far less interesting this way.
Fortunately the amount of random battles is bearable.

MattyG

Banned
I've never played a Tales game, but I'm thinking of ordering a copy of this. Is it a good one to start with, or should I go with another one and wait on this on to see if I like the series?

I've never played a Tales game, but I'm thinking of ordering a copy of this. Is it a good one to start with, or should I go with another one and wait on this on to see if I like the series?
This really isn't a bad one to start with. It's a much more traditional Tales game and it's a pretty solid one at that so it gives you a good intro to the series. My personal fav Tales games are Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia so if you can get your hands on those I'd recommend them too.

It was the first one I ever managed to complete (mainly because of portability) and I loved it.

There are at least a few Namcoins that are missable, wish I could remember which.

The trophy guide said there was only 1, from a Quest in an early town (name escapes me). It has a river the through it. You need access to a duck boat to reach the coin, but the quest to get access to the boat is missable if you skip it and go too far ahead in the game.

Is this one of the Tales where the main character (Kor in this case) is just ultimately much better than anyone else to control manually?

I'm wondering if Gall is a good character to play as myself instead of Kor...

kewlmyc

Is this one of the Tales where the main character (Kor in this case) is just ultimately much better than anyone else to control manually?

Gall is who I mostly used. I forget the name of the attack but he has an attack that you can use repeatedly to combo your opponent into the air. Plus his throwing ax is good at applying pressure to enemy shields. Never even bothered leveling his magic.

Kunzite is also fun and probably the easiest character to combo with.

Thanks! Yeah, maybe I'll start trying him out today.

Also, should I be playing on Hard? Is it like other Tales where it isn't much harder but it gives better exp and stuff after battles?

I should've gotten into this franchise sooner.
Really enjoyed the Xillia duology and after putting 20 hours into this one I can definitely say it's a good rpg.
Nothing groundbreaking but very enjoyable.

Wish I got into Tales sooner too. Played Symphonia last year and loved even if it frustrated me plenty of times. Graces F is a little less interesting, I need to finish after I'm done with Hearts R.

I like to use Ines a lot too.

Aexact

The scenes frequently feel really weird. Like, there's one intense emotion a character is feeling and then the scene quickly shifts to lengthy exposition. Or they reveal some huge plot twist and that's where the cutscene ends, no character reactions. Or the couple of scenes were they're trying to present Kor
as someone who has an anger problem, if this is gonna be his character flaw that he needs to overcome in an emotional realization, I'm not digging it at all. He's like 99% bubbly happy so those anger moments just feel insincere and escalate too quickly.

The premise itself feels super exaggerated with the way it effects the towns that the most effective way to enjoy it is as a fairy tale. One of those fairy tales that randomly goes dark Hans Christian Anderson with the two villains I happened to run into and the way they worded their threats. Ends up feeling jarring actually given the rest of the game's tone though. I don't like Beryl either game, but
all these threats to cut off her body parts is not kosher

I like the cast well enough though (since the short skits don't suffer from the off-putting cutscene pacing) and I'm getting the hang of the TP system. I also appreciate the various transparency elements to see when bonds are being raised, like when you pick the right answer, the bonds rank in the Skills menu, and after battle announcements when the rank levels up.

I can't seem to execute the glowy portrait attack thing, I thought I just had to tap the glowing portrait? I dunno, maybe I'm just not going to fast enough. I see there are skills in the future that increase the frequency of Chase Links so I guess I'll keep trying.

Oh snap, I can see Somatic bonds comments?! Rats, must've missed a bunch, gotta check that status menu.

Skulldead

Just got this game from someone here (i thank him again), this is my first PS TV vita game and I'm happy i didn't listen most of the review that i saw about that game. This is one of the Best Tales game i play in a while.

Fast space story no useless stretch : Check
Amazing Battle system and challenging (hard mode) with a lot of customization : Check
Pretty good music overall with some piece sound like old tales : Check
Pretty good graphic in general : Check
A World map that make exploration useful : Check
Not a lot really short timing side-quest : Check

There some minor problem (like uncompressed DS video, no English VO) I think this is becoming one of my Favorite tales after Tales of Eternia (destiny 2 for U.S.), actuality i find that the 2 games have a lot of similarity in style and presentation. Short dungeon, random encounter, short funny skit, cooking system. The soma system is pretty good and help to make choice but at the same time will not destroy a character usefulness if you make the "wrong" build.

Little question at the same which tales team made this one ? I'm liking a lot more this style then Zestria... i would be surprise of the same team made these 2.

Bladelaw

So I've been plugging away at this for my 52 games in 52 weeks challenge. I feel like I'm approaching the end (50 hours on the clock) and I still have questions about things I've seen in the world. Specifically the little tombstone things with the red sphere near the top. I've poked and prodded them and got nothing from them.

As for where I am in the story:
I'm in Gardenia and the last boss I fought was Incarose Alt
. I still want to go back and grab special weapons and load up the teams Soma builds. Is it possible to cap out the whole grid with everyone? I feel like I'm still missing a bunch but I've been pretty thorough going through this game. No guides though.

Datschge

Little question at the same which tales team made this one ? I'm liking a lot more this style then Zestria... i would be surprise of the same team made these 2.
It's a mix of secondary "Team Destiny" and "Team Symphonia" staff with some new people. Many of them went on to work on Narikiri Dungeon X and (sans 2D staff) Xillia 1 afterward.
Bah, dun messed up, this is the Vita remake... This game is by 7th Chord so no Tales staff was involved. The other Tales like games 7th Chord did before are Innocence R on Vita and Keroro RPG on DS, no new games since.

Zipzo

Banned
Need some advice, GAF.

I want to re-enter the Tales series really badly. Under this determination I bought Zestiria. Tales games I've played (and loved) in order of when I played them : Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss.

Very disappointed so far in Z. It feels bland, no major hook, and while the combat gave me a new camera angle it just didn't feel any more fresh than my past experiences. Maybe the concept of the story in the first 10 hours also just wasn't hooking me and the whole "chosen one" thing happening right off the bat severely damaged my hope for any sort of interesting characterization.

I've been looking in to this game, as a desperate reach for another plug at liking a Tales game as I don't own a PS3 nor and XB360.

What do you guys think? Can this game do what Zestiria didn't?

Zipzo

Banned
Well I guess the most obvious question is about Heart's premise. Does it sound ok to you?

The story sounds fine (intriguing enough), I tend to fare better at playing games where I like the character aesthetics and I'm a fair bit more partial to hearts character visuals than I think any other tales game I've played, but is there enough uniqueness among the battling or upgrading/progression or a good "flow" to the game that is less like say Z and more like say Symphonia or Abyss? Appreciate the help.

The story sounds fine (intriguing enough), I tend to fare better at playing games where I like the character aesthetics and I'm a fair bit more partial to hearts character visuals than I think any other tales game I've played, but is there enough uniqueness among the battling or upgrading/progression or a good "flow" to the game that is less like say Z and more like say Symphonia or Abyss? Appreciate the help.
Unfortunately, I haven't played enough of Zesteria or Abyss to really comment. I thought it was a pretty fun ride myself and truthfully, it ended up being one of my favorite Vita games.

Maybe someone with more Tales experience can offer more useful thoughts :p

HotHamBoy

I bought this game during the current PSN sale. At $6 it's a steal! Definitely one of the better Vita RPGs.

That said, I just had an annoying crash. I was in the middle of a dungeon when the game suddenly crashed with the Vita producing an error message. I have no idea what triggered it, I was just running around the cave. But I lost about 20 minutes of progress, which is irritating.

Is this a common issue with this game? It's not a problem I usually have with Vita games.

Labadal

I bought this game during the current PSN sale. At $6 it's a steal! Definitely one of the better Vita RPGs.

That said, I just had an annoying crash. I was in the middle of a dungeon when the game suddenly crashed with the Vita producing an error message. I have no idea what triggered it, I was just running around the cave. But I lost about 20 minutes of progress, which is irritating.

Is this a common issue with this game? It's not a problem I usually have with Vita games.
That is very strange. Currently playing the game and I haven't had anything like that happen to me. I feel that the game runs very smoothly.

BumRush

I don't watch anime but I thought I'd grab this in the mid-year sale. About an hour in and already someone has punched, slapped or kicked another person clear across the room over a minor dispute about 75 times. Is this a common thing in anime?

Cornbread78

I don't watch anime but I thought I'd grab this in the mid-year sale. About an hour in and already someone has punched, slapped or kicked another person clear across the room over a minor dispute about 75 times. Is this a common thing in anime?

Well, it does happen, but used more for comedic purposes:

(see below Charlotte example)
FEbn7zE.gif

Anime characters can take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking.

The game, itself, has some very strong anime tropes in it but is still very good.

(Finally) started this last night. It sounds silly, but I'd been putting this one off for a while because it's the only Vita Tales game in English and I wanted to make sure I would enjoy it.

It's an interesting experience so far. Feels very much like the older Tales games rather than the newer stuff, which has been slightly weird as I'm used to the Xillia design these days.

Combat has been slow so far but it's going places. Story has also been fairly lively so far which I like, but again, it feels slightly archaic in the way that it's told compared to the newer stuff. But I quite like that.

Gonna import Innocence R if this keeps up!

Innocence R has the classic combo system but i enjoyed the journet when I played it

I'm just having a nightmare actually getting a copy. I ordered from Buygame2, but they said they had none in stock (of the Asian version) despite saying they had stock when I placed the order.

I asked them to switch to the Japanese version on Thursday but they haven't gotten back to me.

re. Hearts R, still really enjoying this about 10 hours in. It's such a traditional journey, but I haven't played one like this is such a long time that it's honestly refreshing.

Graphics really change between being gorgeous (Twilight Forest) and hideous (most other areas) though.

Top Bottom