• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

Am I close to finishing the story? I just reached
Cind'rella
. Really enjoying this game between juggling other games as well.
IIRC, yes. You are quite close.

Massive spoiler about what's left, read at your own peril: as far as I remember, you have
three "boss" fights
left.
Finished this a few nights ago. OK remake overall but definitely felt like they could have done it better to make it even better than the original. The original's content really shines through despite everything. Gall really helped a lot though, I think. Natural fit though his introduction is just weird. That's probably the biggest improvement to the game, IMO.
I rather liked Gall, but I did feel that by the end of the game, the writers seemed to have forgotten him. I felt like for probably the last quarter of the game, he was kind of absent in the narrative and even within scenes, and that was unfortunate because he was a good addition.

PKrockin

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT|: 3080 posts
Tales of Hearts R |OT|: 850 posts

Sigh.

Is it me or has the AI improved a lot in this game? I saw Kunzite pull off a 110 hit combo on a boss with some help from Kohaku and then finish with the Chase Link finishing move. The Chase Link system itself probably helps a lot with that, but I haven't needed to revive them or bail their asses out of trouble much at all either. It's like for the first time in the series they seriously prioritize defense when their HP gets low.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT|: 3080 posts
Tales of Hearts R |OT|: 850 posts

Sigh.

Is it me or has the AI improved a lot in this game? I saw Kunzite pull off a 110 hit combo on a boss with some help from Kohaku and then finish with the Chase Link finishing move. The Chase Link system itself probably helps a lot with that, but I haven't needed to revive them or bail their asses out of trouble much at all either. It's like for the first time in the series they seriously prioritize defense when their HP gets low.
Was that all AI or also with the assist of your commands? The AI definitely seemed fairly competent to me.

PKrockin

Was that all AI or also with the assist of your commands? The AI definitely seemed fairly competent to me.

It was all AI. Heck, I only have one strategy and a couple of priorities set for the AI. Hisui was on healing duty and I was taking out the minions when I see Kunzite off to the side just going to town on his ass. It was simultaneously impressive and humiliating because I had been trying to get 100 hits but my best was 99.

I've even seen Beryl of all people get some good melee combos thanks to the Chase Link system, which almost made me drop my jaw. As far as I can tell the AI still rarely guard counters or blocks attacks while casting, but as long as they get a little momentum someone's going to land a Break attack. Then they'll do tons of damage while the casters get complete relief from that enemy's pressure for about 5-10 seconds.

On another note, boy this story is predictable and cliche even for a Tales game. It's like every time I play a Tales game I'm again flabbergasted why anyone would play this for the story rather than the gameplay.

It was all AI. Heck, I only have one strategy and a couple of priorities set for the AI. Hisui was on healing duty and I was taking out the minions when I see Kunzite off to the side just going to town on his ass. It was simultaneously impressive and humiliating because I had been trying to get 100 hits but my best was 99.

I've even seen Beryl of all people get some good melee combos thanks to the Chase Link system, which almost made me drop my jaw. As far as I can tell the AI still rarely guard counters or blocks attacks while casting, but as long as they get a little momentum someone's going to land a Break attack. Then they'll do tons of damage while the casters get complete relief from that enemy's pressure for about 5-10 seconds.

On another note, boy this story is predictable and cliche even for a Tales game. It's like every time I play a Tales game I'm again flabbergasted why anyone would play this for the story rather than the gameplay.
I noticed the same thing about guard counters and blocks.

I agree that the story is predictable and cliche. I wasn't too bothered though because I actually like the cast. They're kind of cliche too, but they're pretty lovable.

What style do you guys play? The default has battles mapped to the dpad, but i can't help but think the stick will be better in the long run.

PKrockin

What style do you guys play? The default has battles mapped to the dpad, but i can't help but think the stick will be better in the long run.
I use the stick by itself to free run around. I don't use the d-pad at all to move, just for inputting attacks and using menus. What's nice about that control setup in this game is the free run attack chains into regular attacks and artes. I can move to an enemy and free run attack to start a combo, giving me just enough time to move my thumb to the d-pad for the rest of my combo.

As a bonus, it's one more thing I don't have to use the Vita's terrible shoulder buttons for.

PKrockin

Holy crap, I had no idea you could read what the characters think of each other based on their Somatic bond in the status menu.

Chalcedony -> Kohaku: (Though she looks dainty, her legs are as flailing clubs!)
Kohaku -> Chalcedony: (Is he staring at my legs?)

Holy crap, I had no idea you could read what the characters think of each other based on their Somatic bond in the status menu.

Chalcedony -> Kohaku: (Though she looks dainty, her legs are as flailing clubs!)
Kohaku -> Chalcedony: (Is he staring at my legs?)
Yup and they continuously update as their bonds grow. Many of them are plain hilarious.

Alric

Just got the game a few days ago and so far am loving it. The interactions are some of the funniest i've seen in a Tales game. Combat is great and the game looks beautiful. Only downside is the random battles but that by no means lessens my experience.

Dugna

This sounds weird but, man I'm glad this game doesn't lag...played ToX2 earlier this year and after a certain point in the game it was hard to find a fight that didn't lag.

I'm at the desert, how far into the game am I right now percentage wise? Thanks in advance, I'm going to bed.
If I hda to guess, I'd say around 33%. Have you fought the boss in the desert? Because if you have, then yeah 33%.
This sounds weird but, man I'm glad this game doesn't lag...played ToX2 earlier this year and after a certain point in the game it was hard to find a fight that didn't lag.
No lag is soooo good.
Just got the game a few days ago and so far am loving it. The interactions are some of the funniest i've seen in a Tales game. Combat is great and the game looks beautiful. Only downside is the random battles but that by no means lessens my experience.
I actually liked the random battles! But I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

Rizzi

I started playing this last week. Only like five hours in, and I'm enjoying it.
Not quite sure on how to best level everyone up though.

Cornbread78

Just switch the characters around frequently to help build their skills. The game is really a lot of fun to play.

Switch them around fairly often. Given the nature of the battle system, it's not too hard to do. You'll eventually get some ways to level them up without being active in a battle as well. Make sure to also try and switch who you're playing as.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I finally started playing through this. I finished the high tower and now I'm at some military base. Does this game get better? It seems pretty mediocre so far, even for a tales game. Characters aren't grabbing me and the story seems pretty weak too. Feels like Tales of Legendia tier, I dunno. Even with DotNW I at least liked the skits.

Cornbread78

I finally started playing through this. I finished the high tower and now I'm at some military base. Does this game get better? It seems pretty mediocre so far, even for a tales game. Characters aren't grabbing me and the story seems pretty weak too. Feels like Tales of Legendia tier, I dunno. Even with DotNW I at least liked the skits.

The story is pretty cliché in a lot of ways, but the gameplay is a lot of fun and it is a good ride overall.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The story is pretty cliché in a lot of ways, but the gameplay is a lot of fun and it is a good ride overall.

Eh. I do like some of the ideas in here. I kind of like the enemy rage mechanic and warping around. But the animations feel a bit janky. Like everything's a bit too stilted. I don't think the combat feels as good as it could be.

Cornbread78

Eh. I do like some of the ideas in here. I kind of like the enemy rage mechanic and warping around. But the animations feel a bit janky. Like everything's a bit too stilted. I don't think the combat feels as good as it could be.

I noticed as you start to lvl up and unlock more arts the battles become easier and more fluid than the initial skills and arts you can use. Keep trying different things until you find the skills snd arts that compliment your play style.

The gameplay is a helluva lot of fun. And even though the story is cliche, I found the characters themselves to be fairly enjoyable and amusing nonetheless. It's not going to win any awards for storytelling, but it did have me smiling and laughing fairly often.

Cornbread78

The gameplay is a helluva lot of fun. And even though the story is cliche, I found the characters themselves to be fairly enjoyable and amusing nonetheless. It's not going to win any awards for storytelling, but it did have me smiling and laughing fairly often.

Well, I'm a sucker for some of those cliches, so I was very pleased with the title overall and this protagonist's coming of age was very tolerable compared to others, so yeah, we agree on this one, lol.

Well, I'm a sucker for some of those cliches, so I was very pleased with the title overall and this protagonist's coming of age was very tolerable compared to others, so yeah, we agree on this one, lol.
Yeah when I was making the OT and I saw references to it having a "coming of age" story and focus on "power of the heart," I almost puked. But hey, it turned out pretty fun!

Rizzi

Any advice on how to set up battle strategies for my party members.
I just
Got back the courage shard, so Kohaku is in the party now. She seems like a mage?

Cornbread78

I just
Got back the courage shard, so Kohaku is in the party now. She seems like a mage?

Brother, sister and boyfriend were always
constants in my parties when available, then the wing dude.

Got unstuck in SUmmit Hill after listening to you guys. So far so good.
Let us know if you run into other problems.
I just
Kohaku is basically a mage. I typically made sure to have her battle strats set so that she would keep her distance to use magic and then return to close distance to get her mana back up. Unlike Cornbread though, I didn't keep her as a regular in my party. I used her probably as my #1 alternate though.

Rizzi

I'm currently standing in front of the
giant willstone in Kohaku's home town. How close am I to the end?

I'm currently standing in front of the
giant willstone in Kohaku's home town. How close am I to the end?
From what I remember,
you have something like two towns/cities/areas left to visit. So you're getting to the endgame.

Hopefully I remember right...

Falk

that puzzling face
I just got to
Kohaku's village
on the localization and holy shit I'm laughing my ass off.

Finally picked this up after putting a copy on hold at GS multiple times. I haven't really played a Tales games since Symphonia, I'm really enjoying it and seems like a breathe of fresh air. Maybe it's because I haven't played an RPG n a while.

Any suggestions on how to level the Soma's for each characters?

Finally picked this up after putting a copy on hold at GS multiple times. I haven't really played a Tales games since Symphonia, I'm really enjoying it and seems like a breathe of fresh air. Maybe it's because I haven't played an RPG n a while.

It definitely felt fresh to me even though I'm a big time RPG player.

As for the Soma's, it's been so long I honestly have no recollection of what to do. I'll check my copy when I can.

Cornbread78

Just level them all up as much as possible Based on how you want each character to play for you.

kurahador

Im about to start my first playthrough (and eventually try to plat this) any tips for a newcommer?

There's ONE missable Namcoin in this. It's the place with
duck boat
Otherwise, enjoy.

Getting platinum in first play through is possible, but it requires shittons of grinding.
So you're better off doing it in NG+.

Falk

that puzzling face
Im about to start my first playthrough (and eventually try to plat this) any tips for a newcommer?

As with all Tales games, plat is far easier on NG+ due to things like x5 or x10 XP, etc.

Grade is grindable in Hearts though, unlike some other Tales where there's a finite amount you can get in the first playthrough.

Top Bottom