• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

kewlmyc

I figured the best way to view it was as a good thing. Given the game's small budget, any English VA they had attempted probably would have sounded terrible. I don't know if the Japanese VA is good, but since it's a different language, I can pretend it is.

The only thing I don't like is that the localization dialogue was clearly written with a dub in mind. Most of the dialogue doesn't match what's being said and the whole "Kor Meteor" thing is jarring when the spoken dialogue is clearly saying "Shing Meteorite".

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm having the nagging feeling that Hisui not getting a cameo costume is a very bad sign for him.

bomblord1

Banned
So I just finished my first playthrough and I have a couple questions about newgame+

First off, if I carry over relationships does that affect anything besides linked skills? Does higher relationships with people affect dialogue or story in any capacity? Also, are there anythings I should look for in my second playthrough like different events or hidden stuff?

Also, what are "Shadow Soma's"?

Finally, what is the best time to do the "extra" content. Can I go back and open a completed save file and just free roam or is there a certain point in the story that I shouldn't progress past and instead explore the map?
(ex before going to mysticete)

The only thing I don't like is that the localization dialogue was clearly written with a dub in mind. Most of the dialogue doesn't match what's being said and the whole "Kor Meteor" thing is jarring when the spoken dialogue is clearly saying "Shing Meteorite".
This is true. The name is the least jarring of the dialogue issues. The more egregious stuff is, as you mentioned, the dialogue not matching what is being said. A lot of the time I could ignore it, but when one Japanese word turned into one full or two half sentences, it was obviously a bit weird. Considering there was no dub, a proper sub would have been preferable.
I'm having the nagging feeling that Hisui not getting a cameo costume is a very bad sign for him.
It's not. He has one, it's just not in the preorder DLC for some reason.
Chalcedony's cameo costume isn't included in the preorder DLC either. We'll get both at some point I'm sure.
I can't answer most of those, as I too would like to know. But to the question of different events/hidden stuff, there are events that are optional that you might have missed. As an example, the events in
Lion Park where you get Kohaku's Red Riding Hood outfit are completely optional. The event where you return to Organica and visit Lapis to patch her up is also optional.
So there are certainly things you might have messed.

baekshi

Banned
I don't see this being mentioned but this tuesday update had tales of heart r avatars

Tales of Hearts R Beryl Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Chalcedony Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Gall Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Hisui Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Ines Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Kohaku Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Kor Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Kunzite Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)

I don't see this being mentioned but this tuesday update had tales of heart r avatars

Tales of Hearts R Beryl Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Chalcedony Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Gall Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Hisui Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Ines Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Kohaku Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Kor Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)
Tales of Hearts R Kunzite Avatar ($0.49) (PS Vita)

OMG! Thanks so much for posting this! I've always wanted an official Tales avatar for one of my gaming profiles!

Alright, pretty sure I'm at the final dungeon. Will hopefully wrap things up tonight.

It is amazing how much a world map changes these games in my opinion. I love having one and I really wish the console versions would go back to it.

This layout + either Graces or Xillia 2 battle system would be my ideal Tales game. Dopey tunnels full of shiny spots is just not that much fun imo. I'm pretty sure that's what they're running with for Zesthiria but I really hope we can get back into the world map. I don't know why it makes such a difference but it really does. Sets a better sense of scale, maybe.

Alright, pretty sure I'm at the final dungeon. Will hopefully wrap things up tonight.

It is amazing how much a world map changes these games in my opinion. I love having one and I really wish the console versions would go back to it.

This layout + either Graces or Xillia 2 battle system would be my ideal Tales game. Dopey tunnels full of shiny spots is just not that much fun imo. I'm pretty sure that's what they're running with for Zesthiria but I really hope we can get back into the world map. I don't know why it makes such a difference but it really does. Sets a better sense of scale, maybe.
Agreed on the world map. The sense of scale is also a huge part of creating (IMO) the sense of adventure that's really needed in a JRPG.

Agreed on the world map. The sense of scale is also a huge part of creating (IMO) the sense of adventure that's really needed in a JRPG.

I find the best scale comes from quality environment design. Like, FFXII takes place in a single country, but feels far bigger than all of the PS3 Tales titles, and I think it's because their team just can't design compelling terrain at all.

Generally though, I prefer the more immersive no-world map solution...but it requires effort that Namco has yet to show in the Tales games.

I find the best scale comes from quality environment design. Like, FFXII takes place in a single country, but feels far bigger than all of the PS3 Tales titles, and I think it's because their team just can't design compelling terrain at all.

Generally though, I prefer the more immersive no-world map solution...but it requires effort that Namco has yet to show in the Tales games.
I would prefer the no-map as well, but if I have to choose between the tunnels with shiney spots and a world map, I'm taking the world map. I hope they give the no map method a shot though.

Hubb

Recently started this game just got
Beryl
as a party member. Gotta say I like how they leave the skit up that tells you what/where you need to go next. I haven't had much of a chance to put a solid amount of time in at once so this is something nice to fall back on (even though I haven't really needed it yet).

Did end up finishing last night and even pulled out a clutch 200+ combo on the second to last boss for the trophy.

Overall impressions:
I liked the game quite a bit.

The battle system is clearly short of recent console titles although I think there should be enough buttons to pull off better systems. Default battle controls were pretty bad but once I switched battle controls to the stick I had minimal issues. Chases were a bit too random to be interesting, but I liked the counter system and I enjoyed having dual mystic artes.

Even without battles being up to par, I think I liked it more than Xillia, Xillia 2, or Graces f. Sounds ridiculous because battles are such a huge part of the games, but even the lacking battle system was nostalgic of Symphonia and Abyss, which are games I really enjoyed. In fact, nostalgia is a lot of what I liked about this game because in some ways the series has moved on in, to me, inferior directions.

Having a world map again was great. Having cooking that levels up and is cooked by party members based on tastes was great.
(In a time before trophies, I actually grinded out max cooking on every member of my Symphonia party because I just loved the game and wanted everyone to have max cooking. Hearts R doesn't require as much dedication, but it was good to get that feeling again.)
The dungeons sometimes overstayed their welcome, but they had actual puzzles. There weren't dozens of useless shinies to run around grabbing on every screen. It was nice.

Oh, and the
awkward couple actually says "I love you" to each other
!! How rare is that in these games?

Plotwise, it's videogames. It isn't as terrible as Graces, not as good as Abyss. Characters aren't as terrible as Graces, but not as good as Xillia 2.

The game easily fits in beside Ys as a great standout "exclusive" JRPG on Vita (I believe they are both technically remakes, right?) and I'm glad to have played it.

Producer

So how is the storyline in this game? Reason im asking is because i kinda got spoiled on the game and i wanna know if the story was good. Dont know if that makes sense lol. So if i pick this game up it will pretty much only be for the gameplay.

bomblord1

Banned
So how is the storyline in this game? Reason im asking is because i kinda got spoiled on the game and i wanna know if the story was good. Dont know if that makes sense lol. So if i pick this game up it will pretty much only be for the gameplay.

The story was incredibly tropey. It had cliches out the wazoo what makes it worth it are the characters and their interaction (excluding gall and Kor). They really shine and have very well done personalities by the end of the game your really feel for them.

Protag

Banned

Its enjoyable, its not breaking new grounds but its solid,with the characters being even more fun.

To concur with everyone else, the story isn't special. Solid, but not special. It's the lovable characters that make the game.

Hubb

Just beat a certain trio boss
Chalcedony's crew
and I was lead to believe it was one of the harder (if not the hardest) fight in the game. It wasn't anything special outside of
Chalcedony's automatic KO
on one character.

I may be over leveled, or just got lucky. Really enjoying the game, wasn't sure what to expect when I bought it. I wouldn't have even bought it if it wasn't for the Namco sale they had for the Tales series. I am really glad they had that sale and that it pushed me to purchase it.

Just beat a certain trio boss
Chalcedony's crew
and I was lead to believe it was one of the harder (if not the hardest) fight in the game. It wasn't anything special outside of
Chalcedony's automatic KO
on one character.

I may be over leveled, or just got lucky. Really enjoying the game, wasn't sure what to expect when I bought it. I wouldn't have even bought it if it wasn't for the Namco sale they had for the Tales series. I am really glad they had that sale and that it pushed me to purchase it.
You may also just be good at the game's mechanics. I was pretty terrible at that point in the game (didn't get all that much better later even) and I died probably three or four times. Did you have good battle strategy set? That's actually what really did me in.

Producer

The story was incredibly tropey. It had cliches out the wazoo what makes it worth it are the characters and their interaction (excluding gall and Kor). They really shine and have very well done personalities by the end of the game your really feel for them.

Its enjoyable, its not breaking new grounds but its solid,with the characters being even more fun.

To concur with everyone else, the story isn't special. Solid, but not special. It's the lovable characters that make the game.

super late reply but thanks for the feedback. I'll pick up the game as soon as i have extra cash, probably not this month though. Haven't played a Tales game in ages and can't wait to jump back in

Hubb

You may also just be good at the game's mechanics. I was pretty terrible at that point in the game (didn't get all that much better later even) and I died probably three or four times. Did you have good battle strategy set? That's actually what really did me in.

Yeah I utilize 3 different strategy set ups for some of the tougher bosses. It took me till that fight (or around there) to realize you had to/could equip skills.

I did a little grinding early in the game to make sure everyone always had the best armor. I don't do that anymore though, doesn't seem to be necessary for the most part.

Character spoiler:
Corundum
is an extremely annoying character. Can't take that voice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I need a guide for the balloonastic...

Aftw completing the ggame and doing most of the side quests i have to say that this is a decent de make. The combat is still enjoyable although the DS one is vastly better.The little story change does not affect me that much and i do like the little tie in to TOIR and potentially TEMPEST R.

I hope this sells well enough to bring TOIR to the West .

Is there a way to turn off voices in this and by doing so will I miss out on anything. When a game doesn't have a English dub I just prefer to read the dialog since I can't understand anyways.

Bladenic

Wonder what happened to Bladenic. They were trying to get the Balloonatic trophy as well.

Never got it lol, need to go back and get it but I'm playing Tales of Innocence R right now. Didn't really try to get it yet but I hate the minigame. It's gonna suck when I finally get it cuz the time stamp for it and platinum are gonna be so far apart from my other trophies.

Woooo... Platinum achieved

http://i.imgur.com/YXV1Lgw.jpg (contains trophy spoilers)
Congrats!
Never got it lol, need to go back and get it but I'm playing Tales of Innocence R right now. Didn't really try to get it yet but I hate the minigame. It's gonna suck when I finally get it cuz the time stamp for it and platinum are gonna be so far apart from my other trophies.
Oh well make sure to give us any tips once you figure the damn thing out!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ultros should give us all tips.

It's an annoying trophy and it's quite repetitive but it should work out in 2 hours or so.

Try to get as much points with Chalcedony and Kunzite, should get at least more than 3.1k for them. Try this setup:

Kunzite:
Fleeting Shadow - Circle button
Tempest Strike - Right analog stick

Chalcedony:
Aerial Exorcism - Circle button
Soaring Radiance - Right analog stick

Be sure to attack the star balloon at the highest priority.

Try to garner 1.5k with Hisui and Kor, 1k+ with Beryl. Then the rest try to rack as much points as you can.

Hisui:
Burrowing Owl - I relied on this. It's like an auto landmine. - Circle button

Kor:
Streaking Comet - Circle button
Lightning T.Blade - Right analog stick

Beryl:
Flying Colors - Circle button
Shock-a-Doodle - Right analog stick

Gall:
Burrowing Mole - A weaker and slower version of Burrowing Owl but it will do the trick. - Circle button

Ines:
Blade de Bulles - Circle button
Knee de la Sirène - Right analog stick

Kohaku - I relied mostly on her attacking the balloons rather than using artes:
Rising Phoenix - Circle button
Crimson Twister - Right analog stick

Amir0x

Banned
Kor Meteor sure is dumb about everything. Shut up Kor, you don't know about hot springs. Stand in the corner while we hang with the ladies, christ.

Protag

Banned
Not even, asbel lolol.

I like Shing, he's a naïve 16 year old kid who doesnt know much about anything bc he's been in hiding for so long. It makes sense.

Is it me, or does the priority commands seem broken? I set it to have Kohaku heal an ally at less than 50% HP and she never heals.

i get it Tales of Hearts R, Ines has big boobs. Ha ha, I laughed already at that the first nineteen times :mad:

This is something I have noticed about all the tales games I have played... over used, repeated jokes...

By the way, this is an amazing game. All Vita owners should have it.

Is it me, or does the priority commands seem broken? I set it to have Kohaku heal an ally at less than 50% HP and she never heals.
Sometimes the only way I could get a character to follow my commands was to hardlock actions to occur 100%. That solved most of my issues. With characters being told to heal, healing can take a few seconds and thus get interrupted, so I would also use the commands to stick the healer further back. Dunno if that helps.

Sometimes the only way I could get a character to follow my commands was to hardlock actions to occur 100%. That solved most of my issues. With characters being told to heal, healing can take a few seconds and thus get interrupted, so I would also use the commands to stick the healer further back. Dunno if that helps.

Thanks, I tried that but she wouldn't even initiate a heal even with 100%.
Also, forgive me for eating your lunch. BibleThump

I love Tales games.

I watched a video of the game and it seemed that battles are random ? (no monster on screen). Is it true ? How obnoxious are they ? I still have scars from old jRPGSs with battles every 5 steps...

On a side note, My faves are Symphonia, phantasia, abyss, vesperia and on a lesser extent graces. Will I like this one ?

Many thanks !

danthefan

So yeah, I didn't know this game was a thing. I played Xillia on PS3 a while back and really enjoyed it, so would it make sense for me to pick this up?

I love Tales games.

I watched a video of the game and it seemed that battles are random ? (no monster on screen). Is it true ? How obnoxious are they ? I still have scars from old jRPGSs with battles every 5 steps...

On a side note, My faves are Symphonia, phantasia, abyss, vesperia and on a lesser extent graces. Will I like this one ?

Many thanks !

It can get annoying when your doing like a puzzle or when you just want to rush through a section but if you just carry around a bunch of holy bottles and sacrosant bottles you should be good. It does make grinding levels way easier though. When I need a couple levels I switch it to auto, pop a dark bottle and run around a healing save point while I'm watching videos or something.

Top Bottom