• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

Protag

Banned
This may be my favorite Vita game. My only problem is that I feel like I should be avoiding fights so I don't over level. The story has been pretty good so far (I've jusaner river at Lion's Park) and the combat is really rewarding. Only other minor problem I have is that the US version arbitrarily has no support for custom music. The game's combat is the main draw for me, and so far it's excellent, makes me sad that I won't have any other game like it on Vita once I'm done.

But you can always come back to it

Also i feel the same, in terms of overleveli g precuations, i dont want to go over oard but the chase system is just too fun

But you can always come back to it

Also i feel the same, in terms of overleveli g precuations, i dont want to go over oard but the chase system is just too fun

I am struggling with combat, I need to get a grip for my 2k model, thing is just to hard to control otherwise.

Datschge

This game is a prime example how much the franchise has evolved since Vesperia and Destiny. Battle is a literal cut and paste of Vesperia and so are the auxiliary systems save the chase system which is a poor excuse for trying to redeem shitty enemy encounters.
Either you played too much end game Vesperia PS3 (where a lot of the "Team Symphonia" battle limitations were finally lifted for the first time) or your memory of it is faulty. Yes, Hearts is a throw back to around Vesperia time with regard to overall package and feel (which is why I'm not surprised a lot of people end up enjoying this demake) but game design wise, ignoring the re-introduction of random battles, the traditional heavily stagnate "Team Symphonia" games wish to have the kind of effective game design changes and additions that Hearts R got (and even "experimental" Xillia 1 was a clusterfuck compared to it).

Why do you say that? I've seen this comment numerous times on GAF (and other places), what's so much better in the DS version?
It's best to treat the DS version as a completely different game that just happens to share some assets. Along with the change from 2D to 3D essentially all of the game design was completely revamped as well. If one likes the 2D entries all the "changes" done to the Vita versions make no sense, since none of the systems were taken over.

Yuterald

How are the dungeons in this game? Are they interesting/competent? Got 60 hours in Xillia and dropped it almost half a year ago because I just couldn't take any more field romping.

Holmes

Anyway, finished the bonus dungeon. I'm pretty mad that damn boss gave no experience haha. Also got the monster and item codex trophies by using the grade shop.
Right? With 5x experience and Miso Soup, the bonus dungeon bosses were giving me 5 million exp.

Datschge

How are the dungeons in this game? Are they interesting/competent? Got 60 hours in Xillia and dropped it almost half a year ago because I just couldn't take any more field romping.
I thought the dungeons in Hearts are pretty standard Tales fare. That being said everything (except Tempest and Innocence perhaps) is better than Xillia's dungeons.

Bladenic

If you're coming off Xillia/Xillia 2, then you'll definitely be happy that the dungeons have puzzles and are actual dungeons.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Question, why do they recommend having a second playthrough to get the Platinum? Can it all be done in one playthrough?

Seda

I played this game while I was on my cruise. I'm typing this on my phone so forgive the errors. To put short this game was just not good. It was average at best with so many shallow features it's not even funny. From a technical standpoint though you can argue that this was actually average and not nkt good.

This game is a prime example how much the franchise has evolved since Vesperia and Destiny. Battle is a literal cut and paste of Vesperia and so are the auxiliary systems save the chase system which is a poor excuse for trying to redeem shitty enemy encounters. Let's give bosses the dumbass recoveries. Wait this would make them not fun. Quick. What can we do to make this better? Oh let's add this Chase system so they can be literal punching bags for a few seconds. Fuck you designers. This was terrible in theory and it's terrible in practice.

Story is reminiscent of older Tales games. It's not terrible. It was just... Not good. There are redeeming portions though. Sound is bad. Visuals are bad. Despite all this I enjoyed this. I'm a sucker so sue me. If I had to review this game it would be 5.

I wasn't a fan of the game either. Chase system felt too arbitrary and unsubstantial to be interesting, character control seemed stiff and basic. Enemies breaking combos against them with a counter-able attack felt clumsy.

By late game, there's little reason not to simply spam elemental attacks that enemies are weak to. It's effective, easy to pull off, and tiresome. Reminded me of Star Ocean 3/4 (bleeeeeeeeh)

I wasn't big on any aspect of the narrative/characters either. Dungeons were better than Xillia but that's not saying much of anything.

I said earlier in the thread, I don't think it's a broken game or anything. Just by-the-numbers and serviceable.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Either you played too much end game Vesperia PS3 (where a lot of the "Team Symphonia" battle limitations were finally lifted for the first time) or your memory of it is faulty. Yes, Hearts is a throw back to around Vesperia time with regard to overall package and feel (which is why I'm not surprised a lot of people end up enjoying this demake) but game design wise, ignoring the re-introduction of random battles, the traditional heavily stagnate "Team Symphonia" games wish to have the kind of effective game design changes and additions that Hearts R got (and even "experimental" Xillia 1 was a clusterfuck compared to it).

It's best to treat the DS version as a completely different game that just happens to share some assets. Along with the change from 2D to 3D essentially all of the game design was completely revamped as well. If one likes the 2D entries all the "changes" done to the Vita versions make no sense, since none of the systems were taken over.

I played a lot of Vesperia PS3. I think it's my most played Tales game. I think my save ended up being a total clock of 250 hours.

I wasn't a fan of the game either. Chase system felt too arbitrary and unsubstantial to be interesting, character control seemed stiff and basic. Enemies breaking combos against them with a counter-able attack felt clumsy.

By late game, there's little reason not to simply spam elemental attacks that enemies are weak to. It's effective, easy to pull off, and tiresome. Reminded me of Star Ocean 3/4 (bleeeeeeeeh)

I wasn't big on any aspect of the narrative/characters either. Dungeons were better than Xillia but that's not saying much of anything.

I said earlier in the thread, I don't think it's a broken game or anything. Just by-the-numbers and serviceable.

What did you think of Kor btw? I always thought Kor would be worse received than Asbel because Kor has no brain.

Seda

What did you think of Kor btw? I always thought Kor would be worse received than Asbel because Kor has no brain.

Nah, Asbel is worse because not only is Asbel an idiot, he's totally selfish and self-centered. Kor at least seems to have some genuine humility.

Bladenic

Question, why do they recommend having a second playthrough to get the Platinum? Can it all be done in one playthrough?

I'm currently doing a second play through. With the grade shop bonuses, mainly 5x experience, it's a lot easier to max characters, as well as do the final boss on Manic and Unknown with max level characters. Also easier to max cooking with 60/99 item stock, and reach the relationship thresholds for the trophies if you haven't done that (since you can carry those over and get the story bonuses and whatnot). Plus skipping cutscenes and stuff you can easily reach endgame in 5 hours (I'm halfway through at 2:30 on the clock).

Verelios

I can't think of a single reason someone would dislike Kor more than Asbel. Asbel is a self entitled prick who can't see beyond his dick.

Kor, while stupid, is at least inoffensive. In the manner that I couldn't care less about him.

I understand that localizations often translate things in ways that are more relatable for Western audiences (changing jokes, etc) but I don't understand when they change the entire tone of a conversation. I've mentioned previously in the thread that the localization makes Hisui out to be an even bigger dick than he actually is, but an after battle conversation between Beryl, Shingu/Kor, and Kohaku caught my attention just now.

Spoken:
Kohaku: Kowakatta.
Shingu: Gomen ne, kowai omoi sasete.
Beryl: Mou teki wa inakunatta kara daijoubu da yo.
Kohaku: Un.

Translated:
Kohaku: That was scary.
Shingu: Sorry for letting you have a scary experience.
Beryl: The enemy's dead so it's okay.
Kohaku: Yeah.

Localized:
Kohaku: That was scary.
Shingu: Are you okay? I was so worried about you.
Beryl: Oh geez. They're dead. Drama over. Move on.
Kohaku: Sorry, Beryl.

Bleh. Is this really necessary?

Bladenic

Really? I don't see Beryl as that kind of bitchy character, I guess.

True. Actually, Beryl was flanderized quite a bit in the English version (which you're probs aware of) in terms of her word mishaps and her jealousy at Shing/Kohaku. So I suppose I like that line in the context of the localization.

True. Actually, Beryl was flanderized quite a bit in the English version (which you're probs aware of) in terms of her word mishaps and her jealousy at Shing/Kohaku. So I suppose I like that line in the context of the localization.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but thus far the lines where she showed jealousy actually did suggest some jealousy in the Japanese as well so I was okay with it. This particular instance though, it seemed really uncalled for and especially mean on her part, which is why it caught my attention.

Datschge

I played a lot of Vesperia PS3. I think it's my most played Tales game. I think my save ended up being a total clock of 250 hours.
Haha I knew it, fair enough then (though not to all the jealous people still wanting a localized ToV PS3 while never looking at importing themselves ;).

Man, I'm getting sick of spiria novas or whatever they're called. I appreciate that they get a little more complicated each time but mainly they just get longer and the same exact environment every time is getting to be a drag. Encounter rate seems a bit high as well. I find myself running from battles more and more.

I guess they seem more like a hassle than a challenge.

And Platinum obtained... pending the damn balloon minigame lmao. Hopefully won't be too bad.

When I first got to that city, I tried that mini game out. It's just not enjoyable in the slightest. If I don't get the plat here, it'll be that mini game's fault.

Also, congrats in advance.

Scher

Spent some time over the Thanksgiving break to get back into the game and finally beat it! Even if it's not the original version, it's nice to have the opportunity to play Hearts. Had a lot of fun with it and kind of makes me really want to see a western release of Innocence R. At the same time, I worry whether or not Innocence R would feel like taking a step back, since it was made first and I don't know what all was done in terms of refining things and just making it better in general between Innocence and Hearts.

I kind of want to do post game stuff and all that, but I feel like it would be easier to farm grade and just work on a second playthrough for that stuff. Is there a recommended amount of grade to farm for if I intend to do another playthrough? Also, I'm wondering what all is there with regards to potentially missable content. Are there any guides out there with all the side quests and what can be missed?

So I got the game after all lol. Finally unlocked chase link at the mountain. The DS version is much better but this game is serviceable. If only hearts came out when the DS was selling well...

Are most of those endgame? I have found two, i think. Just left
Kohaku and Hisui's hometown
That's about how many I had at that point in the game as well. A good chunk, if not most of them, weren't available until
I got the airship
. A certain chunk of them are endgame, but the others should be findable before the game finishes.

Costume spots and directions for the curious:

1. A swimsuit costume for every character, found on an island's beach. I think it was northeast of Lion's Park, but I can't be sure. Inaccessible without airship, obviously.
2. Crystal Knight costumes for Kor and Hisui, found in Prinseur by going in front of the Cathedral.
3. Red Riding Hood costume for Kohaku. Part of a multistage quest/sub-event in Lion's Park. Talk to the guy in the hotel.
4. Hatless Beryl. Sleep @ Guz Spa Inn.
5. Pajamas Gall. Same as above. Should trigger in same trip.
6. Sportswear/Exercise Clothes for Beryl. On a beach by Lion's Park
7. Spec Ops costume for Ines. Once you have your party back together after being split up and washed up on a beach, return to the beach you washed up on (near Hanselar) and open the briefcase.
8. Hatless Kunzite. Once you get the airship, return to Beryl's hometown with both characters in default costumes. Look at the murals, then go to Beryl's room and look at her hats.
9. Upgraded Kunzite. Can be found in flashbacks @ end of the game. I haven't gotten to this myself yet, so I can't confirm how to do it.
10. Shadow versions of characters, beat the respective shadows in the post-game (haven't done this as well).
11. Palate swap Beryl. Given when you meet her again in NG+ (haven't done this either).
12. Palate swap everyone else. Take each character all the way through the arena (I'm currently in the process of doing this).
I kind of want to do post game stuff and all that, but I feel like it would be easier to farm grade and just work on a second playthrough for that stuff. Is there a recommended amount of grade to farm for if I intend to do another playthrough? Also, I'm wondering what all is there with regards to potentially missable content. Are there any guides out there with all the side quests and what can be missed?
I saw some guides on GameFAQs but I'm not sure how complete it was.

KiteGr

The first tales game to reach sony consoles in europe was Graces, and it left a pretty bad taste on my mouth.

I'll wait for a big discound to get this one.

The first tales game to reach sony consoles in europe was Graces, and it left a pretty bad taste on my mouth.

I'll wait for a big discound to get this one.

Just skip it entirely. Graces had its flaws but out of all tales games released in the west it has the best combat system.

kewlmyc

That's about how many I had at that point in the game as well. A good chunk, if not most of them, weren't available until
I got the airship
. A certain chunk of them are endgame, but the others should be findable before the game finishes.

Costume spots and directions for the curious:

1. A swimsuit costume for every character, found on an island's beach. I think it was northeast of Lion's Park, but I can't be sure. Inaccessible without airship, obviously.
2. Crystal Knight costumes for Kor and Hisui, found in Prinseur by going in front of the Cathedral.
3. Red Riding Hood costume for Kohaku. Part of a multistage quest/sub-event in Lion's Park. Talk to the guy in the hotel.
4. Hatless Beryl. Sleep @ Guz Spa Inn.
5. Pajamas Gall. Same as above. Should trigger in same trip.
6. Sportswear/Exercise Clothes for Beryl. On a beach by Lion's Park
7. Spec Ops costume for Ines. Once you have your party back together after being split up and washed up on a beach, return to the beach you washed up on (near Hanselar) and open the briefcase.
8. Hatless Kunzite. Once you get the airship, return to Beryl's hometown with both characters in default costumes. Look at the murals, then go to Beryl's room and look at her hats.
9. Upgraded Kunzite. Can be found in flashbacks @ end of the game. I haven't gotten to this myself yet, so I can't confirm how to do it.
10. Shadow versions of characters, beat the respective shadows in the post-game (haven't done this as well).
11. Palate swap Beryl. Given when you meet her again in NG+ (haven't done this either).
12. Palate swap everyone else. Take each character all the way through the arena (I'm currently in the process of doing this).

I saw some guides on GameFAQs but I'm not sure how complete it was.

Are the swimsuits the same as the DLC ones?

Bladenic

The balloon trophy might end up being the worst trophy in Tales history, or maybe prevent me from Platinum. It just fucking sucks.

The highest score I've gotten is with Beryl at 1270. Her score for a title is 1500. For Kunzite and Chalcedony? I got 1030 and 910 respectively, their suggested is 2500. WTF

The balloon trophy might end up being the worst trophy in Tales history, or maybe prevent me from Platinum. It just fucking sucks.

The highest score I've gotten is with Beryl at 1270. Her score for a title is 1500. For Kunzite and Chalcedony? I got 1030 and 910 respectively, their suggested is 2500. WTF

That sounds awful.

RoeBear

Somehow now when I play commands aren't tied to direction they're on like presses 1,2,3,4. How do I change it back? I also am playing in manual.

kubricks

Just finished P4G and started ToHR.
I was on the fence before since I love ToH DS, wasn't sure if playing this game again on a new take is a good idea. I am glad that I still bought the game, it might lack the charm of the DS original but so far (4hrs in) I am enjoying it very much.

RalchAC

Yesterday I bet the sand bug boss on Hard! Man, fuck him. The boss itself is not that complicated, but he spawns new mobs every 15 seconds or so! My team was Kor, Kunzite, Hisui and Kohaku.

I miss sidesteps and the aura system from Tales of Graces. I have missed the aura system in both Xillias too. I understand why they want the bosses to have an anti-stagger aura for the first few hits you have to break, it makes sense, but I want tools to fight that skill back. The green / blue / red aura in Graces with a weakness system as cool as the one in Xillia 2 would be a 10/10 in my book.

I really like the aerial chase in this game though and aerial combat in general. Tales games have always lacked in aerial combat and this does a good job with it. I loved Judith back in the day but was just decent playing her. I often go air mid-combo, which is cool.

Ugh there's no English voices. Fuck. Wish I knew that.
I figured the best way to view it was as a good thing. Given the game's small budget, any English VA they had attempted probably would have sounded terrible. I don't know if the Japanese VA is good, but since it's a different language, I can pretend it is.

Top Bottom