• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

A note about Gall, he wasn't actually in the DS version of Hearts (he was added to the Vita port) so that's why his plot contributions are not that large. Same deal with Patty from Vesperia and the two new characters in Innocence.

He's still my fav Hearts character though.

Oh, that makes more sense then. I thought his just showing up was kinda weird.

Well fuck. Generally I only play as the main character in these games for the first playthrough but the bonus dungeon is having me do one on one battles with each character. So now I need to go around learning good arte setups and how to play as some of the others lol. Probably need to grind a bit too, the 65-70 range doesn't seem too good for these fights.

In terms of characterization, Gall is pretty much up there with the other "boring" grizzled characters like Malik, Regal and Eugene. I don't know why the writers always makes these types of characters with bland backstories and minimal character development. However, unlike Malik and Eugene, Gall is basically a background character with the least interesting contribution to a dynamic group. His only saving grace is that he interacts a lot with the other characters by making snarky remarks. Despite of Gall's blandness, he's definitely one of my mains alongside with the other boring characters I mentioned. =/

Dice//

Banned
Oh, that makes more sense then. I thought his just showing up was kinda weird.

I'm more surprised no one questions the really super magical woods they're in --- - y'know where water falls UPWARD and there's lil' mini cyclones blowing leaves around.... Perfectly normal.

I also love how the main cast looks like they're from outer space compared to the peasant-dressed people in villages.

kewlmyc

In terms of characterization, Gall is pretty much up there with the other "boring" grizzled characters like Malik, Regal and Eugene. I don't know why the writers always makes these types of characters with bland backstories and minimal character development. However, unlike Malik and Eugene, Gall is basically a background character with the least interesting contribution to a dynamic group. His only saving grace is that he interacts a lot with the other characters by making snarky remarks. Despite of Gall's blandness, he's definitely one of my mains alongside with the other boring characters I mentioned. =/

Yeah he's a real blast to play. Nearly everyone in this game is more fun to play than the MC, which is rare compared to the Tales games I've played.

Bladenic

Damn it, I had a 190 hit combo going on this boss and lost it. Fuq. I have a save right before it so I could go again just to get that damn trophy.

Finally back home to my package to start playing it and there doesn't seem to be a pre order bonus code with it at all. Where exactly would the code for the costumes be if you pre ordered though the bandai namco store?

Check your email?

The only emails I got was the "Thank you for your order" one a when I placed the order and one notifying me that the order has shipped. Preordered though the bandai namco store and payed though amazon.

The little box it came in that I just got around to opening had 2 packing slips in it but nothing marked as the pre order bonus code. What is the format of the code since there is some letters and numbers on them but figured they were order info stuff?

Bladenic

The only emails I got was the "Thank you for your order" one a when I placed the order and one notifying me that the order has shipped. Preordered though the bandai namco store and payed though amazon.

The little box it came in that I just got around to opening had 2 packing slips in it but nothing marked as the pre order bonus code. What is the format of the code since there is some letters and numbers on them but figured they were order info stuff?

Can't help you with that, I got the digital but I thought the codes were sent via email (at least GameStop's page said that I believe). Sorry :/ hope you figure it out, I'm sure someone else here can help more

RalchAC

My game arrived today! I started the game.

It definitely has an old school flavour with the world map and everything. Game looks low budget but it's fun and funny. Steps are weird though. They have a different feeling that Abyss, Vesperia and Xillia 1&2.

Can't help you with that, I got the digital but I thought the codes were sent via email (at least GameStop's page said that I believe). Sorry :/ hope you figure it out, I'm sure someone else here can help more

Thanks anyway.

Anyone else order from the bandai/namco store and get the preorder code? How did you receive the code?

kiun

Finally back home to my package to start playing it and there doesn't seem to be a pre order bonus code with it at all. Where exactly would the code for the costumes be if you pre ordered though the bandai namco store?

I'm in the same boat as you. Ordered through B-N store and did not receive a DLC code. I've send them an email inquiry, will post if I get a reply.

Scher

It's kind of lame that they don't seem to have brought over any more costumes for us. Does anyone really care about level boosts and other junk like that?

Having played more of the game, I will say that I'm really liking Kohaku as a playable character. She's got a decent number of physical moves and she's pretty quick to move around with. Since Hisui has pretty much cemented his role as my permanent healer, I have no issue never letting Kohaku heal so I can run around and kick stuff.

Ines also isn't too bad to play with, but she's terrible at closing gaps. She's just so slow to get around with!

It's kind of lame that they don't seem to have brought over any more costumes for us. Does anyone really care about level boosts and other junk like that?
I have to imagine they'll bring the costumes. It couldn't be that hard could it? At $16 for each pack, they could make some decent money. I'd fork over for at least one.

Protag

Banned
I need that yggdrasill outfit for Chal, and sonething decent for Hisu (though his in game outfits are awesome imo)

Jamix012

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Even though I suck. I must've died like 20 times in the first 5 hours of the game (playing on hard.) I have a question though. Why are some cutscenes in 4:3 and some in widescreen. Where those other scenes in the DS version or what?

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Even though I suck. I must've died like 20 times in the first 5 hours of the game (playing on hard.) I have a question though. Why are some cutscenes in 4:3 and some in widescreen. Where those other scenes in the DS version or what?

Exactly right. Scenes in 4:3 are unchanged from DS.

barrin87

21 hours into Hearts R and it's shaping up to be one of my favorite Tales games. Battles are probably my second favorite after Graces.

I preordered the game so I received the costume code but I never change costumes in Tales games. If someone would like the code send me a message and I'll send it over.

Edit: Code already taken!

Ahahaha, Ines's facial expressions are amazing.

wU9BqJi.jpg

Bladenic

Yeah I would be pretty sad if they didn't release the costumes Japan got, including the last two cameo ones for Chal and Hisui.

I gotta say, the 4 member party definitely helped some characters to be more viable in battle. Moreover, Beryl just owns shit like crazy. Her will attack is sky high and her spells, especially if targeting a weakness, do crazy damage. If she got all the elemental spells she'd be the best damage dealer.

Kohaku, whom I also considered fairly useless in the DS version, got upgraded too. Although, to be honest, I'd still say she's the overall least useful character except maybe Gall, though she's far from useless and is definitely useful in any party setting.

RalchAC

I've played a few hours today. I've just gotten the second fragment and the
pink haired knight has kidnapped Kohaku.

Game is good fun. I don't regreat buying it. It really looks like a low budget project though. Not that I care, but others may do. I tried to play a little bit like that Gall dude. It feels like Malik from Graces but more versatile (he does melee too).

When do the pre-order costumes unlock? I'd like to change some of them.

I'd like to try more characters. After playing Ludget in Tales of Xillia 2 Shing is a step down.

Battle system is nice but my arte-set is limited so far. I have to say the combat feels different than in the internally developed Tales games. Steps are a little unresponsive for me, but maybe I haven't get used to yet (or I haven't got any interesting skill for improving them)

What level should I be at for the EX dungeon? My part is at about 71-77 and I'm not having any trouble with the normal battles but the
Shadow Self
fights are kicking my ass even on easy. Doesn't help that I have no idea how to effectively play as anyone besides Shing.

Ohnonono

Something about this game feels really good. I don't really know how to explain it but it feels like I am playing a real proper JRPG without it feeling old and without anyone fucking with the stuff that used to make them good. I am not that far in but something about it just works.

Stuart444

Again, it's great to see so many positive impressions of Hearts R. Again, unless something changes, this may be my second favourite Tales game right behind Destiny: DC.

I'm currently just after
The mountain place where we get Kunzite back on our way to Kohaku/Hisui's hometown.
, how long do I have left?

I'm playing somewhat casually and with DAI coming up, I'm trying to fit in some FFXIV, Hearts R and tomorrow, DAI in each day. So would be nice to know how long I have left in the main story.

I've played a few hours today. I've just gotten the second fragment and the
pink haired knight has kidnapped Kohaku.

Game is good fun. I don't regreat buying it. It really looks like a low budget project though. Not that I care, but others may do. I tried to play a little bit like that Gall dude. It feels like Malik from Graces but more versatile (he does melee too).

When do the pre-order costumes unlock? I'd like to change some of them.

I'd like to try more characters. After playing Ludget in Tales of Xillia 2 Shing is a step down.

Battle system is nice but my arte-set is limited so far. I have to say the combat feels different than in the internally developed Tales games. Steps are a little unresponsive for me, but maybe I haven't get used to yet (or I haven't got any interesting skill for improving them)
The preorder costumes are unlocked from the get go. Go to the main menu, hit the status button and you can change the costume on that page!
Something about this game feels really good. I don't really know how to explain it but it feels like I am playing a real proper JRPG without it feeling old and without anyone fucking with the stuff that used to make them good. I am not that far in but something about it just works.
I agree completely. It feels new but manages to take everything I loved about old JRPGs and retains that. It's a wonderful trip so far.

Bladenic

What level should I be at for the EX dungeon? My part is at about 71-77 and I'm not having any trouble with the normal battles but the
Shadow Self
fights are kicking my ass even on easy. Doesn't help that I have no idea how to effectively play as anyone besides Shing.

Wow, I've just reached
Rapunzel
and I'm level 85-86 with my party on Hard. Make sure to cook Miso Soup for the experience doubling effect.

kewlmyc

I just reached the point in the story where
Kor turns evil.
Am I at the halfway point? Only level 36-7 at this point.

Protag

Banned

This is the EXACT way i feel.

With xillia one and two, something felt off, just off.

I start Hearts and that feeling vanished. It was the mechanics, and system that had me feeling that way.

nampad

Managed to play a little bit today. Arrived at the second village and hope the slow JRPG pacing ends soon. Don't think the mechanics are well explained or integrated so far.
The presentation shines with the animated cutscenes even though some are obviously made for another platforms screen. Don't like that some of the dialogue is only available at request though.

But right now, besides not getting my grips around the battle system, I am annoyed by
Hisui. What a fucking bastard, I hate him so much and want to put that Soma sword up his ass.

Bladenic

Beat the game. Level 96, 60 hours, Hard. Time to go for Platinum.

I was definitely over leveled though all I did was cook Miso Soup a lot so I didn't grind. But even so, the final boss is so much easier here than in the DS original IMO.

I'm mad/sad I activated my over limit and he died right before I was gonna activate the Shing/Kohaku dual MA. Damn it haha

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My copy of the game finally arrived. Neat. I probably won't dig in until next month, but I'm glad to see all the positive impressions so far. Seems like it's basically a PS2-era RPG on a modern system, which is what I was hoping for.

Bladenic

Holy shit, I just did Beryl's Crazy Comet extensions and the extensions do not have names listed at the top. Instead, it's underscores. So instead of the usual arte name at the top, like Mix Master if that's how they would've translated it, it's just underscores. Pretty embarrassing.

I've been going pretty slow lately but will hopefully pick up the pace this weekend when I'm not playing Smash.

Most recently fought
Ines
. Trio fight was definitely the hardest so far.

Mystic Artes are a bit disappointing but oh well. I actually played through Xillia 1 the entire way without realizing how to activate them so I can certainly live with lame ones.

Beat the game. Level 96, 60 hours, Hard. Time to go for Platinum.

I was definitely over leveled though all I did was cook Miso Soup a lot so I didn't grind. But even so, the final boss is so much easier here than in the DS original IMO.

I'm mad/sad I activated my over limit and he died right before I was gonna activate the Shing/Kohaku dual MA. Damn it haha
Damn, congrats! Good luck with the Plat!

Protag

Banned
Any clues for the garrison base puzzles

The left one wuth te blue and green tiles im doing first

Cannot get this

Edit: it just clicked

Edit: that first ome was a fluke

kiun

I'm in the same boat as you. Ordered through B-N store and did not receive a DLC code. I've send them an email inquiry, will post if I get a reply.

Following up, someone from Bandai-Namco replied to my email with a code.

CentroXer

Banned
So how good is this game if this is my fav Tales of list:

1. Vesperia
2. Symphonia 1
3. Abyss
4. Xillia 2
5. Graces f
6. Xillia 1
7. Symphonia 2
8. Legendia
9. Innocence

worth getting a vita for?

Holmes

I beat the game a second time yesterday. At about level 150 for everyone and just need to do the bonus dungeon, beat the final boss on Maniac and Unknown, and do the balloon minigame. It's been fun so far.

Protag

Banned
I beat the game a second time yesterday. At about level 150 for everyone and just need to do the bonus dungeon, beat the final boss on Maniac and Unknown, and do the balloon minigame. It's been fun so far.

I dont understand how this is even possible within a week and two days.

Im only at the garrison at 21 hours.

Top Bottom