• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

Stuart444

B2e7LLoCIAAJJLn.jpg:large

Bwahaha. I'm liking Shing/Kor more and more. Leg bros unite.

Going into confession several times was great. Just made me laugh quite a bit.

edit: Is anyone else keeping the Somas even? I (after getting Ines and doing her Soma stuff) have got them all where each of their next ones cost 0/30.

Relatively even across the board and I'm starting to wonder if this will cause me issues later on or if it's just a generally bad idea to keep this up.

Holmes

I'm keeping my Somas balanced. The SBP cost starts to get pretty steep after a few levels, so if you just concentrate on one or two, your others will lag behind fast and those are some stat bonuses, skills or artes that you'd miss out on.

Also Chalcedony wears circlets for his headgear! I've never seen a male RPG character wear circlets before.

So, I know that this might've been answered already, but how is the current veredict of the game? I read a couple of reviews, but recently GAF helped me more than them. What I can say about myself is that I'm not a "Tales" fan, I just like JRPGs, the last Tales game that I played was Tales of Phantasia on the GBA.

I'm most interested in knowing how is the framerate, the length of the game (and yes, I read the OP saying that is about 50h, but I just want some other confirmations), and if the sidequests/postgame are fun enough to justify the purchase.

PS: I'm in the fence about getting this or HDN:R

Jonnax

Hi all. Also on the fence here. I was wondering if this game is anything like Abyss where there are a ton of missable events. I recall playing with a non-spoiler guide when I played it years ago, would I need to do that with Hearts?

Holmes

Hi all. Also on the fence here. I was wondering if this game is anything like Abyss where there are a ton of missable events. I recall playing with a non-spoiler guide when I played it years ago, would I need to do that with Hearts?
There are some missable events but it's hard to miss them. NPCs that initiate sidequests have a yellow question mark above their head, so as long as you explore towns fully and keep an eye out, you shouldn't miss any. You'll even sometimes get skits where your characters say "hey, we should go back here because reasons!" which is a big clue that there are sidequests to do there.

Playing on the PSTV is great. The only downside is you won't be able to really pull of Cross Chase Charge, which they introduce about 5 hours into the game. Doesn't break the game, but it's still something.

That's when I can switch to my Vita. =P

googled it, found these tips on gamefaqs:
If you hold down the home button it brings up the option menu, scroll down and activate "Use Touch Pointer in Games" and you'll be able to use L3 and R3 as touch screen pointers. It takes some time getting used to.

Alternatively, if you're using a ps4 remote, the middle button/touchpad is enabled as well. After you activate it, you'll see a little pointer hand show up and it'll work.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/687871-tales-of-hearts-r/70552570

Mieu

kohaku!!! Kohaku!! Kohaku!!!

why do the protags always belt out their names??! Haha

I played the JAP version of this and I really enjoyed the battle system. Some dungeons are boring though

Hmm. I feel like I've missed some of the costumes so far. The random battles make me kind of wary about traipsing around the map.

I'm feeling way too lazy right now...

Stuart444

Its probably because I'm still early in the game, but are all the dungeons small?

I wouldn't say some of them are small. Infact, they feel bigger than some console Tales dungeons.

The Spiria dungeons also get bigger as you go through the game.

There is also actual puzzles in these dungeons which is a nice change from some of the more recent Tales games. :D

Yes, but doing this in the middle of combat is tedious. I've tried it.

my order is still on the way, but i'd like to ask
isn't it possible to activate the option from the beginning of the gameplay? or it has to activated everytime i go into fight and it'd be disabled automatically after that until next fight and so on?

i really like to understand this matter before ordering my PSTV

my order is still on the way, but i'd like to ask
isn't it possible to activate the option from the beginning of the gameplay? or it has to activated everytime i go into fight and it'd be disabled automatically after that until next fight and so on?

i really like to understand this matter before ordering my PSTV

You can turn it on at the start and it's on forever unless you turn it off.

Tohsaka

Playing on the PSTV is great. The only downside is you won't be able to really pull of Cross Chase Charge, which they introduce about 5 hours into the game. Doesn't break the game, but it's still something.

It's easier with a DS4 due to the touch pad, but I haven't even needed to do that very much playing on normal.

Bladenic

what's so different between DS version and Vita version? Someone list the bullet points.

I'll try my best

- world map. The original had a world map but it only became available late into the game, up to then you traversed connected fields like Graces.
- vastly different battle system. Characters have some different and new artes, etc. Chalcedony wasn't playable, and Gall wasnt a character at all. Everyone generally had more artes in the original, some exclusive spells removed in the Vita unfortunately.
- growth system was different. Unlike this one, you chose between 3 different paths for each soma rank. Red gave you most stats, blue was a mix, and green gave you less stats but the most artes and skills. Somas didn't change appearance until the last rank, and you couldn't choose which to equip.
- some story events slightly altered. Some characters altered a bit too.
- no cooking. New mechanic called Heal Stone that could be customized to work like Graces' system (could activate in battle etc)
- obviously graphics, original was 2D
- some new bosses, other removed.

That's a basic rundown.

Protag

Banned
Im also constantly sleeping at inn's as they yield skits and apparently costume events (Galado's Pajamas and Bear's hatless outfit at guz spa)

Bladenic

Im also constantly sleeping at inn's as they yield skits and apparently costume events (Galado's Pajamas and Bear's hatless outfit at guz spa)

Yes do this. Also make sure to talk to everyone. NPCs often give you items, including some giving you Namcoins.

So, I know that this might've been answered already, but how is the current veredict of the game? I read a couple of reviews, but recently GAF helped me more than them. What I can say about myself is that I'm not a "Tales" fan, I just like JRPGs, the last Tales game that I played was Tales of Phantasia on the GBA.

I'm most interested in knowing how is the framerate, the length of the game (and yes, I read the OP saying that is about 50h, but I just want some other confirmations), and if the sidequests/postgame are fun enough to justify the purchase.

PS: I'm in the fence about getting this or HDN:R

I'm like you. I'm not a huge Tales fan, I just love RPGs and playing games on Vita. I'm six hours into this, and I like it a lot but don't love it. It's fun, it looks crisp. Frame rate is solid, it runs well. The story and characters haven't really hooked me yet, but I'm enjoying the way the battle system is becoming more complex. It's fun to play.

Sometimes I get a little disoriented when navigating the world map.

It's a pretty decent game, I don't regret buying it.

HBroward

Yeah i found it. Thank goodness because being able to get the costumes via the namco store and avoid gamestop is what pushed me into getting the game.

When did yours ship from them? Mine only shipped on the 13th and arrived today, no email with dlc to be found yet though.

Protag

Banned
Im not quite grasping chase charge. Whenever i tap a glowing portrait, nothing happens.

Does the same target need to be targeted by the same two party members?

Holmes

Im not quite grasping chase charge. Whenever i tap a glowing portrait, nothing happens.

Does the same target need to be targeted by the same two party members?
Tapping a glowing portrait should yield a cross chase no matter what. Are you being too slow? Maybe your touch screen's being wonky.

Zafir

So what's the little stones with the red circle in the middle for?

Came across one in the twilight forest earlier. The skit from pressing on it gave no information so I kind of just left it, but I've come across a second one now and still don't know what it is, so kind of curious. :p

Holmes

So what's the little stones with the red circle in the middle for?

Came across one in the twilight forest earlier. The skit from pressing on it gave no information so I kind of just left it, but I've come across a second one now and still don't know what it is, so kind of curious. :p
I've found them all over, but I'm not too sure. Probably an endgame quest.

Holmes

Well, if you're playing on easy, it honestly doesn't even matter how you build your characters... but I prefer to keep everything balanced wrt the Somas.

Bladenic

Sorry, I meant his Soma. Actually, I'm not sure how to spec any of the characters yet. Just met
Gall

I am playing on Easy, for now, so it probably doesn't really matter.

Yeah it doesn't matter, but I personally go for whatever arte or skills I most want. Generally though I do Fight/personal or Belief/personal if they're casters. The personal ones tend to give the best and most rounded weapons.

Bladenic

Bwahahaha, Beryl currently has nearly 200 more W.Atk than anyone else's P or W atk stats. Adorable wrecking ball in every battle.

Right!? I been using her quite a bit here, I benched her useless self in the DS version but here her spells are much more useful and damaging. Same with Kohaku.

Right!? I been using her quite a bit here, I benched her useless self in the DS version but here her spells are much more useful and damaging. Same with Kohaku.

I'd be using Beryl regardless just to hear her voice more often, but actually what happened in my case was I kept going for specific artes and passives when building my Soma, so the other characters don't have 3 star weapons yet, while I got Beryl the 3 star one that greatly boosts W.Atk. She's probably gonna be my strongest character for awhile, lol.

Is it me, or is there a huge level/difficulty spike for boss fights in this game?

I've been playing on hard since the start and yeah, I do feel that every boss thus far is way above the enemies you were fighting in the area you encounter the boss in.

Perfectly doable though.

I've been playing on hard since the start and yeah, I do feel that every boss thus far is way above the enemies you were fighting in the area you encounter the boss in.

Perfectly doable though.
Agreed. There's a definite difficulty spike but I think I've only wiped once, and that was me being careless. If you have a good strategy set in the menu ahead of time, you should be fine.

Top Bottom