• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
jMU15Y0gJ7953.png

5tZuB4x.png

Platform: PlayStation 3
Players: 1-4 (LOL)
Developer: Bandai Namco Games
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Rating: Teen
Release Date: August 19, 2014 (US)
August 22, 2014 (EU)

uy1V88Q.png

Tales of Xillia 2 takes place one year after the events of the original. The repercussions of the uniting worlds are beginning to bear fruit. Spyrix usage has increased dramatically all over Rieze Maxia but at the same time it has boosted the research to remove them altogether. However, discrimination has increased to an all-time high and the clashing of nations still exist.

In the midst of all this, Ludger Will Kresnik finds himself living an everyday normal life with his brother Julius Will Kresnik and their pet Rollo. However, when he meets a young girl, Elle Mel Marta, everything changes. he uncovers a power hidden beneath his lineage and a legacy that he must carry out. His mission? Prevent the world’s end.

dyYbL2C.png

Ludger Will Kresnik
Ludger is an easy-going guy thriving off of his superb cooking in the spirit-deprived Elempios. Despite his cool demeanor, Ludger likes to keep his life simple. However, he is pulled into a world of conflict when his heritage and the ever-changing world collide. Using his trusty swords, guns, and hammer, he fights his way to uncover the truth of the world and protect the ones dear to his heart.

Elle Mel Marta
Wandering through Trigleph by herself but unbewildered, Elle is a brave young girl looking for the Land of Canaan. Despite her childish demeanor, she is an understanding and mature girl at heart. Her friendship with Ludger and his cat Rollo carries her through tough times.

UM2QzkJ.jpg

Julius Will Kresnik
Ludger’s older and protective brother, Julius, has a strong sense of justice and decorum. He works with the largest corporation in Elempios, Spirius, bringing him and his brother financial stability. However, just like Ludger, his heritage binds him to a destiny filled with both sadness and tragedy.

Jude Mathis
Jude has matured into a fine young man after the course of the first game’s events. Having fully earned his doctorate in Spirit arts, he has progressed into researching how Spyrix can be used for the benefit of both spirit and man. Unfortunately, his work is not with criticism as he receives harsh words from various people for taking a route that can endanger the world. Even so, with his friends by his side, the brave doctor moves ever onwards.

Leia Rolando
Over the course of a single year Leia has grown into a more mature girl despite still being easy going. This attitude carries her through the harsh world of journalism and reporting as she struggles to find a story that will ease the hearts of people and carry her through fame and glory. Using the connections she has forged she can find information not many people are privy to.

Alvin
Although Alvin has abandoned his tragic past self he struggles to maintain a sense of moral good. Even so, Alvin opens up his heart and mind a bit to create stronger bonds with his friends, specifically Jurgens. As Alvin partners up with Jurgens he learns that despite his eyes being opened to what is good about the world there still lies a moral gray area that he must distinguish for himself, and how to walk it.

Elize Lutus
Elize graduated from being a shy little girl to a brave young lady attending an academy in Reize Maxia. She still stays in the Sharilton manor where she learns to be a fine young lady. Her potent spirit artes haven’t declined in the slightest after the war and despite this time of peace her strength has grown significantly.

Rowen J. Ilbert
Now an aid for King Gaius in Rieze Maxia, Rowen attempts to stregthen the bond of many nations in an attempt to stop civil unrest and discrimination. Although he is very old, Rowen is extremely adept at using the Spyrix technology adopted across Rieze Maxia. His wisdom, technology aptitude, and his spirit artes go a long way to assist Ludger and Elle’s journey to the Land of Canaan.

Milla
Milla’s journey ended a year ago, however, the effects of her actions still impact the world greatly. People still wonder what caused the world to change so drastically, but Jude and his friends know what Milla’s sacrifice and determination brought. Her friends still wonder curiously as to where she is and if she will ever return. Only time will tell...

Gaius
The newly-reformed Rieze Maxia needed a strong and unshakable king. What they found was King Gaius. A ruler unparalleled in understanding, fortitude, strength, and kindness. In order to better understand his people and the world around him, he is now travelling the world undercover using a false identity to hear words that he normally wouldn’t from his throne.

Muzet
Muzet brought great destruction in the war a year ago but after reconciling her actions she made a decision to follow Milla. Where she is now, no one knows...

7td3QLI.png

Weapon Swap
Ludger originally uses dual-blades, however he gains the ability to use a large hammer and dual-guns. A-la Devil May Cry, Ludger is able to switch between his weapons on the fly in the heat of battle combining the various weapons at his arsenal for a dynamic combo matchup. You can use a single weapon you’d like, but Ludger is designed to use all three weapons for utility and fun.

Chromatus
Ludger is able to transform into a demon-like state known as the Chromatus using the pocketwatch. The strength of the Chromatus is determined by the number at the bottom-left of the screen and activating it will pit Ludger into an exclusive zones for only him and his enemies. In this area he is able to unleash special moves and is invulnerable. Unfortunately, there is a time limit and being assaulted by his enemies will even further shorten the time. Use it wisely.

Weakness System
You can utilize the various weaknesses of enemies to your advantage but utilizing the weakness system to its fullest will maximize the damage multiplier similar to Tales of Graces. Additionally they are left invulnerable when their weaknesses are fully exposed.

Allium Orb
The Lillium Orb is no longer a viable tool for people to use when fighting monsters. As a result the Allium Orb is now the new alternative. The Allium Orb works fundamentally different from the Lillium Orb in the sense that you do not have direct control of how you grow your characters. Much like how Tales of Abyss’ glyph stones allowed you to increase certain parameters, the Allium orbs with certain active elemental orbs will boost the growth in that respective path. The stronger the orb, the faster the growth is. Choose wisely.

Choice
Because Ludger is a silent protagonist that is supposed to be a reflection of the player, a choice system was implemented to convey a sense of agency. Throughout the game player will be given an option to make choices that can affect your relationship with other characters giving you access to special cutscenes and various endings. Needless to say, the choices you make are as important as you make them. Choose wisely.

Debt System
Rather than having a streamlined progression through the game’s narrative, Xillia 2 has implemented a debt and chapter system. Each chapter focuses on a certain narrative events and in order to move from one main chapter to the next Ludger must pay off a certain amount of money. While his total debt is substantial he only needs to pay off a portion of it in order to move along. Paying it all off may have a special prize at the end. How you manage your money is important. Choose wisely.

Character Episodes
The main narrative is broken up into main chapters but in between them you can access chapters dedicated to individual characters. While these chapters are optional, accessing them will strengthen your bond with your teammates and give you access to some exclusive content that you will otherwise not be able to obtain.

Affection System
Similar to games where you try to win the affection of characters in-game, Xillia 2 focuses on Ludger’s relationship with his party. By linking with them more and making the correct choices you can become closer. These advantages will come in the form of items and special Artes for Ludger.

FJyiclx.png

North America

Europe

Uquv9tm.png

urHm91v.png

P919IGc.png

Q: Are there going to be Japanese Voices?
A: No. The next game? Maybe.

Q: Should I play Tales of Xillia before playing Tales of Xillia 2?
A: Yes. While the game will stand by itself narratively you will not get the full enjoyment out of it as many of the game’s character arcs hinges on your knowledge of their history.

A: I can use DLC costumes from Tales of Xillia OMG!
Q: Wait wut?

Q: How long is the game?
A: Tales of Xillia 2 is roughly 20 hours long for the main narrative. The Character Chapters pad out the game for an additional 10 hours. The game is relatively short but there is much more to do than the original.

Q: I hated Tales of Xillia. Will I enjoy this game?
A: Chances are you won’t. The gameplay isn’t much different from the first game. In fact, you will revisit all the old areas and it has not changed at all. However, if you’re in for the story then you should definitely give it a chance.

Q: Why is Ludger a silent protagonist?
A: Ask Baba. I don’t know. The game suffers quite a bit but you can unlock his voices when making choices in the second playthrough.

Q: When should I expect reviews?
A: You can expect reviews to go up on August 19th, Tuesday morning. If you really want to read a review then feel free to read Kayos90’s import review here.

Q: Who made this OT?
A: Give thanks to Kayos90 and even more special thanks to Demidar for the graphics! Also, thanks to rpgmonkey for letting me steal his images =P.

I still need to pre-order this. Will subscribe.

I heard that the changes to the combat system allow for some combo-ability on bosses so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out for myself.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sweet OT!

Didn't realize this game was coming so soon. Backlog is huge, might have to wait a few months to play this.

360pages

Maybe they Realized that Jude sucked so much as a main character that making the next one silent was their best bet.

Eusis

Hopefully we get some good pics and footage of the LE before launch. I'm wondering whether it'll be more like ToS with some unexpected surprises or more like Xillia 1's in being pretty bare bones.

. . . And I should pick Xillia 1 back up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy shit we're just a week away from this? O_____________________O

Definitely getting this. Any idea about the size of the digital version?

Nocturn

Neo Member
Damn it... So close to release. I really need to beat Xillia, sigh. I stopped near the end boss when FFXIV came out and never went back. Time to dust off that game from my shelf and play before this comes out.

Definitely looking forward to this, but I'm still not entirely sure I'll be getting it next week. If I can get my PS3 fixed by then I'll probably wait until the price drops a bit but if not I'll probably just get it digitally right away.

Haven't been as hyped for this one as much as I was for Graces and Xillia 1 (the debt system and silent protagonist stuff isn't exactly what I really want out of a Tales game). But I'll still get it if only to be able to see how the story from the last one continues.

TEJ

I've heard that the beginning of the game is filled to the brim with padding. Just how true is this?

Ultimadrago

A. Yowza, I didn't recall that this was coming so soon.

B. I will be playing with the full intention of cheesing Gald, Experience, Items, with OP skills (Time Stop, anyone?) again to the best of my ability and yet with the least of my efforts.

fedexpeon

Banned
The game is almost out?
I was like wtf...the game is out? when I saw the OT.
Wow, sometime preordering a game actually kills the hype lol.

I really didn't want to pre-order the CE, but damn it I don't want to miss out on any of the costume DLC I have an addiction bad LOL

Do we still not know if the first print copies will be getting the DLC costumes too? I missed out on the CE, but I really want the DLC costumes.

If not, and anyone has codes to spare, I'd gladly trade some PSN credit for them. Just PM me.

Do we still not know if the first print copies will be getting the DLC costumes too? I missed out on the CE, but I really want the DLC costumes.

If not, and anyone has codes to spare, I'd gladly trade some PSN credit for them. Just PM me.

You can still pre-order the CE on Amazon, I just did so

You can still pre-order the CE on Amazon, I just did so
Not in Canada. :/

And I don't really want any of the other CE stuff, just the DLC costumes. I'd pay up to $20 PSN dollars for them. (Though I hope they come with the standard edition too, like they did with the first Xillia.)

Abylim

I'm on the fence with this one.

Firstly, enjoyed Xillia, but didnt love it.
Secondly, I cant seem to go back to the DS3.

Tempted though!

Rhapsody

Banned
Preordered today. GS guy even asked if I wanted to preorder the CE. Weird.

Not that I have the money to burn after already importing.

Didn't realize the game was so short. Honestly takes some excitement away. On well, still got it preordered. Amazon has not given a shipping date yet though, leading me to believe they are not doing release day shipping.

Zafir

looks good, but i really hate to see a silent protagonist in game that's cinematic.

From what I've seen, he's more like Shin Megami Tensei kind of silent where he does speak but it's your choice what to say outside of occasional grunting. Which is a bit better. That said, I'm not sure why they decided to go that route.

Top Bottom