• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3) - Release date, price, etc announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netto-kun

Launc PV with calm music and little to no spoilers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D24SQ40JtfQ

In other news, there are infos (Dengeki and lastest Tales magazine) regarding the party member switching that made me scratch my head. The "swap out party members mid battle" feature has been removed from this game. And apparently when you are about to leave a town, the game will ask you to select party members (these will be fixed in battles). The way I read the excerpts, it also seems to imply that in order to switch around party members, you have to be inside a town.

Edit: In a talk show from Ibaraki, they also showed some in-game costumes that'll change the characters to Wingull, Presa, Agria, Ivar and Elle.

Bladenic

In other news, there are infos (Dengeki and lastest Tales magazine) regarding the party member switching that made me scratch my head. The "swap out party members mid battle" feature has been removed from this game. And apparently when you are about to leave a town, the game will ask you to select party members (these will be fixed in battles). The way I read the excerpts, it also seems to imply that in order to switch around party members, you have to be inside a town.

Oh my, that sounds like a huge step back. Terrible.

Edit: In a talk show from Ibaraki, they also showed some in-game costumes that'll change the characters to Wingull, Presa, Agria, Ivar and Elle.

Noooo..
you can't even set your party member in the menu after a battle ?
That sucks big time ...

Switching members in battle was one of the great things xillia did

Netto-kun

Well, apparently someone asked Baba about the party member switching during a PARCO event from yesterday. But Baba's reply was rather vague, saying something along the line of (really rough translation):

Q: "It was written in Dengeki Playstation that you can only switch characters in towns. Is that true? So you can't switch characters while in the fields?"
A: "Because the game is now divided into chapters, there are times where you will get to choose characters, and there are also times where characters are all together. All nine character are not together from the very beginning, and the characters in Character Episodes and respective chapters varies."

Keep in mind that the Dengeki Playstation review (after rereading it) of ToX2 has a minor error (Gaius & Milla are new party members). So while the "switching party members in-battle is gone" part is probably right. The "you need to be in towns/cities to switch party members" part may be another error...even though what is supposedly mentioned in the latest Tales Magazine says otherwise (leave a town, select battle members, fixed members in battles).

I guess the only way to confirm whether that is true or not is to wait for someone to get an early copy of the game.

you can't even set your party member in the menu after a battle ?
Maybe that'll be a New Game+ feature. Like with Ludger's voice!

Torraz

Would't this mean post-battle skits with a maximum of four characters?

Rpgmonkey

I think the current consensus on how this works is like this:

When you're doing a Main Chapter, sometimes there'll be situations where you can't bring along every party member, and sometimes you'll have to choose who leaves temporarily and who stays with you. The people who you chose to stay or didn't have to leave for a moment are available to you. You're notified before doing a Main Chapter when you visit the next story area, so you're not caught off guard and someone leaves. I think by "you can only change in towns", they mean that if you leave the Main Chapter's designate zone, it's canceled/reset/saved, so you can either make a different decision as to who comes back, or the character(s) that left return to the group until you go back to the Main Chapter.

When you're doing a Character Episode, they're detours from the main task and Ludger's just hanging out with one of the characters to handle something. When you do these only the character the episode is about and anyone else that wanted to come along seem to be with you, I guess the remaining people stay in town to do other stuff or something. Like the Main Chapter you may be able to decide that you don't feel like doing it anymore and can go back to town.

Then there's the part when you're not working on a Main Chapter or Character Episode. This is basically a free roam mode, and it's where you do quests, pay off debts, roam the world to farm treasure or grind levels, and any other things available. While you're doing this any characters that have joined the party up to that point are available to use, as there's no story restrictions on who's with you.

You can rearrange your party at any point like any other Tales game, it's just that obviously, you can only rearrange the characters that are actually in the party, not swap in people who left temporarily.

Datschge

When I first heard about the inability to change party characters I thought of two things:
Changing characters in real-time in battles may well be removed for this as all character data need to be stored in the RAM. So by extending both the amount of playable characters as well as their move sets and the general complexity of the battle system itself the resulting package likely just didn't fit in anymore.
Changing party characters only in towns I thought might refer to the character episodes and similar story circumstances where to make the story work specific people need to be in respectively out of the party.

Edit: Semi-beaten.

I really like how this solely focuses on in-game events (showcasing decent character animations) and uses what I think is in-game music. That's a nice break from the usual jpop opening plus anime trailers.

I think the current consensus on how this works is like this:

When you're doing a Main Chapter, sometimes there'll be situations where you can't bring along every party member, and sometimes you'll have to choose who leaves temporarily and who stays with you. The people who you chose to stay or didn't have to leave for a moment are available to you. You're notified before doing a Main Chapter when you visit the next story area, so you're not caught off guard and someone leaves. I think by "you can only change in towns", they mean that if you leave the Main Chapter's designate zone, it's canceled/reset/saved, so you can either make a different decision as to who comes back, or the character(s) that left return to the group until you go back to the Main Chapter.

When you're doing a Character Episode, they're detours from the main task and Ludger's just hanging out with one of the characters to handle something. When you do these only the character the episode is about and anyone else that wanted to come along seem to be with you, I guess the remaining people stay in town to do other stuff or something. Like the Main Chapter you may be able to decide that you don't feel like doing it anymore and can go back to town.

Then there's the part when you're not working on a Main Chapter or Character Episode. This is basically a free roam mode, and it's where you do quests, pay off debts, roam the world to farm treasure or grind levels, and any other things available. While you're doing this any characters that have joined the party up to that point are available to use, as there's no story restrictions on who's with you.

You can rearrange your party at any point like any other Tales game, it's just that obviously, you can only rearrange the characters that are actually in the party, not swap in people who left temporarily.

You're right ... i shoudln't panick and this is mosyt likely what would happen .. but ...man this game would be loaded in quests if that's true then ...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I imagine that choosing people in town and going out to do stuff is most likely an error or a misrepresentation of the game's features. Most likely it's talking about how not all members of the party are available all the time. After all, it wouldn't make sense if you had to pick and choose people because then you'd have cutscenes that are dictated by who you have in the party and that takes effort.

FSLink

Banned
I hope that's the case. I really like the changing party members mid-battle, it was really a great step forward for the series.

Rpgmonkey

On another note, it's been revealed that there's something you can get in the game called "Costume Transformations", where you can make a character look like various NPCs. Some of the ones confirmed are Wingall, Agria, Preza, Ivar, and Elle.

The weird and probably very funny thing about them is that your artes don't change, you just look like the character.

Rpgmonkey

Ah wait, it looks like you do have to go to towns. In the Tales of Magazine it says that when you leave towns you choose your party members that you'll fight with, and these characters are fixed. You can rearrange among these people though.

Maybe the way it's worded is really weird and it's not as bad as it sounds, but otherwise it sounds like an idea that would obviously be a turn off to players. I guess it's another way of making players feel like they're in Ludger's shoes, like removing his voice work. Hopefully you have the option to change this after beating the game like you can change the voice thing.

This sequel is shaping up to be the worst Tales game in franchise history.

Just because of this ? i think the idea of choices affecting the story and switching weapons on the fly during battles are cool ideas .

Aren't you overexagerrating a little ?

kayos90

Just because of this ? i think the idea of choices affecting the story and switching weapons on the fly during battles are cool ideas .

Aren't you overexagerrating a little ?

LOL. I wasn't being serious which you can tell because i'm being using a hyperbole. In all seriousness though this game seems to be one of the weaker mothership titles in recent history. Both Xillia 1 and Xillia 2 I feel like was supposed to be one whole entity. As a result we get a lot of... disappointing elements - or stuff missing altogether/not feeling cohesive - in Xillia 1 which I won't repeat because it's redundant at this point.

Things I do not like about Xillia 2 so far. In ability to swap party members in battle - at least for a while since I assume you can do this at end-game. The need for Ludger to essentially be in control of the player since the game forces you to pretty much BE him. I'm sure it won't be like ToS2 where you can't even designate a leader or anything like that but the focus is SO much on Ludger it's outright annoying to me. Corpse Shell form looks moronic if not downright braindead. It's a supermode allowing you to do whatever without punishment from what we've seen. The narrative is resorting to some sort of parallel world crap which I do not enjoy in nearly ANY RPGs I've played. Only a few have managed to pull it off and even then it's okay at best. These are only a few of the problems I have with Xillia 2. I'm sure Xillia won't be a bad games by any means. In fact I''m excited for it but I can't help but feel like this game is taking a step back in many regards.

P.S. I don't like the chapter layout for stories. I've always hated this kind of stuff in RPGs.

well i love time travel stuff and i see the characters chapter like some expanded substories/quests and nothing more ( i doubt it will be that different than vesperia/abyss/legendia or a mix of the 3 )

but i understand if you don't ...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm interested to see how Xillia 2 works out. There are lots of things that they've released info about that I kind of like, and stuff that should have been in the first Xillia game that they're putting in this game.

But then they do some boneheaded stuff like take away party-swapping. I dunno if taking away Ludger's expressions and voicing would make his personality rather one-note or devoid of character. I like silent protags, but like I said before, other things need to compensate for that in order to bring some personality to the silent protagonist because it certainly is possible to do so. My fear is that he won't have character animations or expressions (well, Tales isn't bad at expressions, but I'm unsure here) to compensate for the fact that: a) he's still his own person, and b) he's your stand-in and he's supposed to reflect the player's emotions.

I'm just gonna wait until I get it in the mail. There's not much I can say about the game until then.

The narrative is resorting to some sort of parallel world crap which I do not enjoy in nearly ANY RPGs I've played. Only a few have managed to pull it off and even then it's okay at best.
This game needed Steins;Gate costumes.

Sagitario

Aeana is going to LOVE this:

Q2DZ9.gif

I hope there is a line where she says: "
I am sorry
" :p
Too bad she doesn't get any costumes, that one would have been great :D

Q2DZ9.gif

I am sorry
I really expect a mockery by tipo after she trip and fall.
I hope her relation with elise to not be a friendly one at least not at first...

LuuKyK

Q2DZ9.gif

I am sorry

lol @ the gif.

Whats up with all this love for faceplants in Japan?

I remember playing ffxiii-2 and there was a girl that did the exact same thing at new bodhum. And I'm pretty sure the "kaaaaaaaay" girl from Star Ocean did it too. rofl

FSLink

Banned

Uguuu~

A Colette costume is a missed opportunity indeed.

Just for this? Naw at worst It still can't beat out DOTNW.
I don't get the hate that game gets. People do realize it wasn't supposed to be a fully fledged sequel right? Maybe it's because I loved all the Phantasia references.
Besides outside of gameplay, Tales of Destiny 2 JP kinda shits all over ToD PS1 so it's probably the worst sequel. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember playing ffxiii-2 and there was a girl that did the exact same thing at new bodhum. And I'm pretty sure the "kaaaaaaaay" girl from Star Ocean did it too. rofl
Every single child NPC did this in Final Fantasy XIII-2 to the point where I had to wonder if Academia had some sort of pandemic. Not just Academia because New Bodhum probably suffered from the same issue. It's genetic, I tell you.

Are kids/girls/uguuuuuu~ constantly faceplanting and tripping into things ridiculously cute or something? I'm not graceful myself, but come on...

kayos90

I mean I can understand it happening. It's just when it becomes a stereotype/trope it's just... blegh.

FSLink

Banned
Well as long as Elle doesn't trip and set off a magical button that unlocks a locked door in a dungeon or something.
I get that people find it cute but I hope it doesn't get to Colette levels where it became a deus ex machina on top of the moe trope.

Shouta

This information is kind of mindblowing.

It is mindblowing!

I had two students, one at each of the schools I was at regularly, that were just that kind of awkward, clumsy girl you see in anime, but not distilled to the point of trope. It was just a little surreal when they'd be clumsy or stammer a bit when they talked because my reaction was "My god that's adorable." in my head and I'd want to tell them it was going to be ok, lol. Some of the boys were a bit like this too and it was just as surreal. I'd have to grab'em and ruffle their hair or tease'em a bit because it was unresistable.

It is mindblowing!

I had two students, one at each of the schools I was at regularly, that were just that kind of awkward, clumsy girl you see in anime, but not distilled to the point of trope. It was just a little surreal when they'd be clumsy or stammer a bit when they talked because my reaction was "My god that's adorable." in my head and I'd want to tell them it was going to be ok, lol. Some of the boys were a bit like this too and it was just as surreal. I'd have to grab'em and ruffle their hair or tease'em a bit because it was unresistable.

what is this ? this unfamilliar sensation ..is that jalousy raising in my chest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom