• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
ULTROS! said:
Showing
6e197b9ba245d9c6bb788fc656ee0f08.gif
for Tales of Xillia by buying Tales of Graces ƒ.
was that even legal? lol

Rarutos

Zhund0r said:
Thanks! Yes, it works for Europe, too. I just preordered it and can't wait anymore :D
Well, still expensive because of the higher EMS rates for Europe, but at least I'll get it very fast and it costs 1000 Yen less compared to CD Japan.

Do you think we'll get the bonus stuff, too?
Probably! They list it specifically on the product page anyway! (And they're most likely better about it than Play-Asia regardless)

DMPrince said:
i placed an order. how much is EMS to us usually? lol. i'm afraid it's like $30.
It's usually never that much. maybe like $10-15 at most. (I could be off a bit)

Rarutos said:
It's usually never that much. maybe like $10-15 at most. (I could be off a bit)

oh okay. that's not bad. i guess they are out of first run stock? or that's how they work where they email you when they have it in stock and give you total price and all?

Rarutos

DMPrince said:
oh okay. that's not bad. i guess they are out of first run stock? or that's how they work where they email you when they have it in stock and give you total price and all?
Yep yep, that's right. Once it's in stock they email you, give you the full price and instruct you to Send Money to them directly on the PayPal site.

Sagitario

I know Graces and Rebirth have the best battle systems of the franchise, but the way some of you talk about Vesperia, Abyss and Xillia [Team Symphonia] make it sound like they have bad battle systems.

Rarutos

Zhund0r said:
@ Rarutos: Is it possible that they ship it before the 8th? ^^
I honestly have no idea, not sure how early they usually ship, since the stuff I get from them don't usually have concrete release dates (at least, that I knew of). You'll know when they ask you to pay them. :eek:

Aeana

Sagitario said:
I know Graces and Rebirth have the best battle systems of the franchise, but the way some of you talk about Vesperia, Abyss and Xillia [Team Symphonia] make it sound like they have bad battle systems.
Well, I wouldn't say bad, but I don't really like them very much. Vesperia's was strengthened by fatal strikes, which I really liked. But TP is a cancer. It serves to limit arte usage to an incredible degree, sucking potential fun right out. There are ways to regain TP faster in the listed games, but usually not until later in the games.

Rarutos said:
Yep yep, that's right. Once it's in stock they email you, give you the full price and instruct you to Send Money to them directly on the PayPal site.
i hope they don't email me soon. how much time do i have to pay for it? i need like $20 for the shipping then lol going by the chart.

MechaX

Sagitario said:

TP and CP give pretty interesting contrasts (at least the CP versions the titles I've played with them; Destiny Remake, Hearts, and maybe Rebirth). At first glance, CP seems like it encourages spamming more than anything else, especially given how it recharges. However, in practice this actually works the opposite; because of how almost everything you do typically takes up CP (jumping, dash, artes, etc) and how there has to be a short recharge time, you can't just spam artes like crazy.

With TP, you would think that the limit on artes is pretty self-explanatory. But at least in Abyss and Vesperia, they give a lot of weight to normal attacks (where the Team Destiny titles don't really give much of a care about normal attacks that much) which in turn recharge TP and usually lead to very long combo strings. And by the time you've gotten that enemy stun-locked, you can use Artes to make things even worse (Vesperia is especially notorious for these kind of combos). Plus, half-way through the game your TP pool will be so large that it really can't be described as much of a limit at all, and it gets to the point where you can just as easily spam things without repercussions.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Did somebody say ENTHUSIASM?

Because I think I heard somebody say ENTHUSIASM.

Neki

DMPrince said:
it's okay. me either. but it doesn't stop me from importing lol.
I find it hard to appreciate a story that I can't even understand, lol. You're a braver man than me.

Ultimoo said:
I find it hard to appreciate a story that I can't even understand, lol. You're a braver man than me.
well i hope it plays out like a soap and i read lip and expression. sure was easier with FF13 lol.
been awhile since i played a tales game.

Aeana

Well, at least you have us here to help with translations and stuff. And I'm sure story summaries won't be too much hassle either.

Proven

MechaX said:
TP and CP give pretty interesting contrasts (at least the CP versions the titles I've played with them; Destiny Remake, Hearts, and maybe Rebirth). At first glance, CP seems like it encourages spamming more than anything else, especially given how it recharges. However, in practice this actually works the opposite; because of how almost everything you do typically takes up CP (jumping, dash, artes, etc) and how there has to be a short recharge time, you can't just spam artes like crazy.

With TP, you would think that the limit on artes is pretty self-explanatory. But at least in Abyss and Vesperia, they give a lot of weight to normal attacks (where the Team Destiny titles don't really give much of a care about normal attacks that much) which in turn recharge TP and usually lead to very long combo strings. And by the time you've gotten that enemy stun-locked, you can use Artes to make things even worse (Vesperia is especially notorious for these kind of combos). Plus, half-way through the game your TP pool will be so large that it really can't be described as much of a limit at all, and it gets to the point where you can just as easily spam things without repercussions.
The problem I have with TP is that normal attacks give such a crap amount of TP back (oh, one TP per hit? Basic artes cost 5 TP? Wonderful) that in the early game you're always running out. So either you conserve or you spam items.

When you get later into the game, depending on which Tales you're playing and what character you're using, either you still have the same problem, with now the newer artes taking up 30 TP or so, but normal attacks still only give back 1 TP, or you're able to get TP back from special skills and have an infinite pool, but you're more or less breaking the game, and it only applies to one character. This is what leads to boss cheapness programmed in.

CC gets around this by inputting a short break; If your attack costs a lot of CC, then you can't spam it. If it costs a little, you can only spam it a handful of times. you have to plan pauses and breaks so you aren't caught with your pants down and can't Magic Guard or Backstep in time. If you don't wait the full pause, you don't get all of your CC back, and then have to wait longer to get back to full. It's a much more dynamic resource to manage.

The only unfortunate thing is that even with a little multiplayer coordination, it's easy to infinite combo unless they program certain pieces of boss cheapness, but things like overlimits and such don't feel as bad when the player character has some version of it that hopefully keeps them from being crazy combo'd to death as well.

I did get it on Tuesday morning, but haven't opened it yet, is the costume code on the slip on the right on your photo? Don't really want to open it that much, so if it is it's only a matter of opening the plastic bag and take it out for a few minutes.

matmanx1

kiryogi said:
Five get!

toxfive.png

Oh cool! Better looking that I expected. Mine should be here fairly soon I think.

And lol at Ultros's enthusiasm sparkly banner. I got a good belly laugh out of that.

Yeshua

Dark Octave said:
Graces is the one on Wii that's ported to the PS3, right? That looks good too.

I have no idea what TotA is.
TotA is Tales ot the Abyss on 3DS, you have to buy it with enthusiasm if you want Xillia.

salromano

Dark Octave said:
Graces is the one on Wii that's ported to the PS3, right? That looks good too.

I have no idea what TotA is.

It's Tales of the Abyss. It released in North America on PS2 in 2006. Europe never got. It's coming to 3DS now for both North America and Europe later this year.

Tales of Graces f is the enhanced PS3 port of Wii's Tales of Graces, which never made it to North America or Europe. Tales of Graces f, however, is coming to both countries in 2012.

Edit: Beaten, it seems.

Reveirg

Loads of enthusiasm here too!

2 questions though...

1. Is there a multiplayer option? My gf would actually play the game with me if that were the case!!
2. Is there a crafting system similar to ToV's?

Netto-kun

Lol, all those DLCs.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/01/xillia_dlc/

If you're a mega Tales fanatic who just has to buy every single item and costume, you'll end up paying over ¥13,000. But that's what you get for being a mega Tales fanatic who just has to buy every single item and costume.

Reveirg said:
Loads of enthusiasm here too!

2 questions though...

1. Is there a multiplayer option? My gf would actually play the game with me if that were the case!!
2. Is there a crafting system similar to ToV's?
1. Yes, 1-4 players.
2. Hm, I'd say the Shop Build system (which is mentioned in the OP) is somewhat similar.

kayos90

Honestly, by the time Graces f comes out to the US, the graphics are going to be so outdated that it's going to get an average subpar score.

Aeana

kayos90 said:
Honestly, by the time Graces f comes out to the US, the graphics are going to be so outdated that it's going to get an average subpar score.
They'd be outdated no matter when the game was released. It is a Wii port.
That said, the game looks good in my opinion. The in game art style works for it.

kayos90

Aeana said:
They'd be outdated no matter when the game was released. It is a Wii port.
That said, the game looks good in my opinion. The in game art style works for it.
Eternal Sonata had artistic style and that game came out years ago. I understand that this game is going for watercolor style but it's going to look very bland with low-res textures to many people. Only fans will look at this game and be fine with it.

Aeana

kayos90 said:
Eternal Sonata had artistic style and that game came out years ago. I understand that this game is going for watercolor style but it's going to look very bland with low-res textures to many people. Only fans will look at this game and be fine with it.
Eternal Sonata was not a port of a Wii game.

But regardless, yes, people will have a problem with the graphics. My point was only that they would have had a problem no matter when the game was released.

kayos90

Aeana said:
Eternal Sonata was not a port of a Wii game.

But regardless, yes, people will have a problem with the graphics. My point was only that they would have had a problem no matter when the game was released.
Oh, my bad then. Honestly, I think it would've been best if NB skipped Gf altogether. I know it sounds bad and people would be missing out on a great game. However, Xillia is a much better release for them at this point.

Paracelsus

I don't know, Xenoblade looks great on Dolphin, I think people will be willing to trade a decrease in polycount in exchange for a great and long game instead of a short and boring game that has nothing going for it outside the artstyle.

ElegantBuffalo

Neo Member
I would be sad with no Graces. I want them all!

As far as Graces F's graphics, I don't think that Tales fans are really the most bothered by graphics. To be honest I would be happy if they never updated graphics. It would be cheaper to program and since it wasn't as expensive to make they could translate them all and send them over here. Tales are fun for the story and the gameplay. Graphics has never been the tales selling point.

kayos90

ElegantBuffalo said:
I would be sad with no Graces. I want them all!

As far as Graces F's graphics, I don't think that Tales fans are really the most bothered by graphics. To be honest I would be happy if they never updated graphics. It would be cheaper to program and since it wasn't as expensive to make they could translate them all and send them over here. Tales are fun for the story and the gameplay. Graphics has never been the tales selling point.
I already stated that fans would be fine with graphics and accept them. However, normal consumers will not.

Aeana

kayos90 said:
Oh, my bad then. Honestly, I think it would've been best if NB skipped Gf altogether. I know it sounds bad and people would be missing out on a great game. However, Xillia is a much better release for them at this point.
Graces finally lets western gamers experience a superior Team Destiny combat system. It has the best combat in the series, so I'm really pleased that English only gamers will get to experience it. Hopefully reviews will highlight this, but I'm not confident about that,

kayos90

Aeana said:
Graces finally lets western gamers experience a superior Team Destiny combat system. It has the best combat in the series, so I'm really pleased that English only gamers will get to experience it. Hopefully reviews will highlight this, but I'm not confident about that,
I feel the same way.

Datschge

kayos90 said:
Eternal Sonata had artistic style and that game came out years ago.
I don't think Graces went for an artistic style at all. It's a clean look, and it looks cleaner in HD.

Hardcore space marine gamer might not like it, but those likely wouldn't get near Tales games by choice anyway regardless of what anime look variation they picked. Average gamers should be fine with it.

Top Bottom