• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised how much simply being 1080p improves the visuals in this game. So used to playing Tales games at 720p and below that Zestiria seems like a huge step up due to resolution alone.

Played a couple of hours last night and it was textbook Tales. Liking the Graces influence in the combat system so looking forward to that opening up. Now to make it through the working day so I can get my arse back home and binge all weekend.

today tales, tonight dark souls 3 and tomorrow...nothing because I've to visit my family >.< damn!

and yes it looks really nice. have not been that much into a tales of game since vesperia. ha! I'm happy :D

adz2ka

Played another couple of hours last night to make it past the prologue. No spoilers, but I'm at the first major city and now have a full party.

Still maintain the opinion that this is better than Xillia in every department.

I have a lot of positives worth mentioning, but in terms of negatives I still feel this game feels shallow. On the world map, exploration is kept to a minimum due to there being no material farming (good or bad depending on your view) and item chests quantity seems to have reduced. Likewise, the same can be said about towns as there's little point in going out of your way.

Considering it's the first Tales game on PC, and Zestria didn't get the greatest reception during the Japanese release, I'd say those are at the very least good pre-order numbers. Hopefully we end up with healthy enough sales to warrant more Tales ports and new releases on PC.

To compare it to other North American numbers:
Tales of Destiny - 68k
Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) - 58k
Tales of Symphonia - 470k
Tales of Legendia - 83k
Tales of Phantasia - 88k
Tales of the Abyss - 72k
Tales of the World - 39k
Tales of Vesperia - 144k
Tales of Symphonia 2 - 136k
Tales of the Abyss 3DS - 45k
Tales of Graces F - 63k
Tales of Xillia - 230k (estimation of both US+Europe)​
(Source: Randos on Gamefaqs that I found on Google, and Gamespot. Feel free to correct.)

Looking at this, 38k on day 1 seems like a decent portion to add to the pile.

Looking at the numbers, I agree.

Weird thing though, according to SteamSpy, the game already had owners since January 2015.
http://steamspy.com/app/351970

That can't be right.

Oh yeah, I'm so pumped for Zestiria.

Looking at the numbers, I agree.

Weird thing though, according to SteamSpy, the game already had owners since January 2015.
http://steamspy.com/app/351970

That can't be right.

Isn't it actually October 1st, not January 10th?

Push Square gave it a 8/10. They just posted it a couple minutes ago.
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/tales_of_zestiria

EDIT:
God is a Geek: 9/10
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/tales-of-zestiria-review/

Wow, good scores.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As I understand it, the main problem is the Alisha debacle. And the camera issue, perhaps.
That's the main problem only for a very small group of people obsessing over that (mediocre imo) character.

You can check the import OT to see how much of a non-issue this has been for the people who actually played the game.

Cappa

Banned
Tales of vesperia is the first and only tales game I played. Is there anywhere I can find the differences between this game and that one? I loved tales of vesperia but I'm concerned about some of the issues people have stated here.

Sandfox

As I understand it, the main problem is the Alisha debacle. And the camera issue, perhaps.

I don't think that's actually the main problem people had with the game other than some people feeling that Bamco handled it poorly. That being said some of the issues should be better with the game on PS4 and PC over just PS3.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
was it a mistake to give away grandpas pipe instead of the royal knife to get into the royal part of the city >>?

Mendrox

Tales of vesperia is the first and only tales game I played. Is there anywhere I can find the differences between this game and that one? I loved tales of vesperia but I'm concerned about some of the issues people have stated here.

It has a more realistic art style (not that chibi cell shading like Vesperia), no overworld like Vesperia, but rather regions that are connected (see Final Fantasy XIII), battle system has no "mana" but rather spirit points that you have a maximum of. SC get added by parrying attacks, dodging and skills and artes use these SC.

Basic artes have a combo tree which like Graces - spell artes are casted immediately etc.

was it a mistake to give away grandpas pipe instead of the royal knife to get into the royal part of the city >>?

No don't worry you will get it back later

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
After the first 5 hours I have to say I love it, but as a Tales fanboy there was nothing else to expect :) Story, characters and gameplay is your typical Tales fare so as long as you like the dynamic of other Tales games, this should be a no brainer. Camera can be a bit problematic sometimes, but it didn't bother me as much. Oh, I also find the skill system a bit to complicated, but I just go with the flow and merge equipment as much as I can ...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
After the first 5 hours I have to say I love it, but as a Tales fanboy there was nothing else to expect :) Story, characters and gameplay is your typical Tales fare so as long as you like the dynamic of other Tales games, this should be a no brainer. Camera can be a bit problematic sometimes, but it didn't bother me as much. Oh, I also find the skill system a bit to complicated, but I just go with the flow and merge equipment as much as I can ...

did not even try that, lol..maybe I should look into that.

Thoraxes

I'm surprised how much simply being 1080p improves the visuals in this game. So used to playing Tales games at 720p and below that Zestiria seems like a huge step up due to resolution alone.

Played a couple of hours last night and it was textbook Tales. Liking the Graces influence in the combat system so looking forward to that opening up. Now to make it through the working day so I can get my arse back home and binge all weekend.

You're making me excited to play in in 4k come next Tuesday.

A lot of games will block recording briefly, usually during really big story moments. But games like Dragon Quest Heroes and Zestiria block it all the time.
This is incorrect for DQH. Game is fully recordable and broadcastable. I been streaming my entire play through since day 1

artsi

Oh yes, it looks very good. I played Zestiria on PS3 and I think it was even below 720p, worse than Xillia, jaggies everywhere. Now this PS4 version, it's 1080p and there seems to be a healthy amount of AA present. The IQ is very pleasant and it complements the art style.

zakujanai

Just started playing this to discover I can't take screenshots? Heaven forbid I should publicise this game for free on Bamco's behalf. I appreciate them bringing this over but absolutely screw their business practices. Just had to dredge up my Bamco account just to get a code for the free dlc, it's making me hate this game before I've even begun.

Looks generic as hell but I'm thinking about giving it a shot since it's got a Steam release. Only Tales of game I ever played was Tales of Phantasia (which I liked a ton) though.

Is this game any good? Is it challenging?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing this to discover I can't take screenshots? Heaven forbid I should publicise this game for free on Bamco's behalf. I appreciate them bringing this over but absolutely screw their business practices. Just had to dredge up my Bamco account just to get a code for the free dlc, it's making me hate this game before I've even begun.

no screenshots, no streaming. thanks to licensing

zakujanai

no screenshots, no streaming. thanks to licensing

It almost certainly wouldn't have stopped me buying since the PS4 is still starved for JRPGs but I'm becoming increasingly hesitant with Bamco releases as time goes on. I miss being excited that they were trying so hard to make Tales a success in the West.

koutoru

What's the point of blocking the screens and streams when it'll be easily circumvented on the PC version in a few days?

There's already people uploading full full walkthourghs of the English version on YouTube.
There's not much of a point in trying to block the videos and streams.

I don't think that's actually the main problem people had with the game other than some people feeling that Bamco handled it poorly. That being said some of the issues should be better with the game on PS4 and PC over just PS3.

That's the main problem only for a very small group of people obsessing over that (mediocre imo) character.

You can check the import OT to see how much of a non-issue this has been for the people who actually played the game.

I see.
So the game is just good then, despite a few minor issues.

What's the point of blocking the screens and streams when it'll be easily circumvented on the PC version in a few days?

Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous.

Stuart444

Not defending whoever made the decision but I think the point is, they can't be blamed for allowing it from a legal stand point. If people do it themselves using 3rd party devices (Capture cards, PC software, etc) then it absolves Bamco of any legal wrongdoing regarding licensed stuff.

Still stupid though yeah and I hope they listen to people who want the Share function stuff for ToB since that is being made Cross-gen from the start (unlike Zesty which got ported for the west specifically)

Not defending whoever made the decision but I think the point is, they can't be blamed for allowing it from a legal stand point. If people do it themselves using 3rd party devices (Capture cards, PC software, etc) then it absolves Bamco of any legal wrongdoing regarding licensed stuff.

Still stupid though yeah and I hope they listen to people who want the Share function stuff for ToB since that is being made Cross-gen from the start (unlike Zesty which got ported for the west specifically)

Yeah, it sucks, but makes sense from a legal standpoint.

Stuart444

You've heard wrong then.

Depends who you're going off of. If you're going off import impressions from GAFers, then yeah, it's more than that.

If you're going off what we've heard from Japanese gamers, the Alisha thing was probably the biggest/loudest thing we heard from them. I don't think I've heard many problems about the game from the Japanese side of things that didn't include Alisha. (at least just after release, I stopped following news on it after a week or two)

That said, impressions from the western version seem mostly positive just now :)

Depends who you're going off of. If you're going off import impressions from GAFers, then yeah, it's more than that.

If you're going off what we've heard from Japanese gamers, the Alisha thing was probably the biggest/loudest thing we heard from them. I don't think I've heard many problems about the game from the Japanese side of things that didn't include Alisha. (at least just after release, I stopped following news on it after a week or two)

That said, impressions from the western version seem mostly positive just now :)

It's a simple matter of expectations.

I believe the western players won't have any problem liking this game as there is nothing that bad about it , just stuff that could have been done better with more time.

I have the PS3 jpn copy of the game and i really liked it , but my experience with the game would have been SO MUCH BETTER without all the performance issues.
Can't wait for my PS4 copy to arrive so i can finally enjoy this game without all those bad textures and frame drops.

Begaria

Tales of that Douchey Main Character with White Hair who wanted to fuck his Sister also there was a Swordsman Girl with a Blue Hat? - Would have liked it if I didn't find the main character completely unbearable. Dropped it because of him

Spoilers about that:
They weren't actually brother and sister. Play long enough and you would've known that Senel was actually in love with his "sister"'s sister whom he was going to marry, but she "died", and he decided to just call her his sister because of that. They never actually hook up.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a real shepherd now including the magical boy transformation

The more I play the more I fall in love with this game. maybe it is my hunger for jrpg that has been unfulfilled for nearly two years..but yeah I really like it. 8/10 easily.

Kouriozan

3 hours in and it's really good so far, I really like all the characters I met.
I bit too much talking and not enough battles but it helps set things up.
I'm currently with Lailah, Alisha and Sorey, heading to some ruins.

aravuus

Surprisingly high sounding review scores, don't Tales games usually get pretty much only 7s? I've lowered my expectations so I have a good feeling I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now that I said that, I guess my expectations got higher, though. It's hard. Well, whatever, it's a new Tales game, of course I'll enjoy at least enough to finish it.

Just praying the PC port is good. Who's doing the porting and what games, if any, have they ported before?

Cassovia

I'm a real shepherd now including the magical boy transformation

The more I play the more I fall in love with this game. maybe it is my hunger for jrpg that has been unfulfilled for nearly two years..but yeah I really like it. 8/10 easily.

This is a nice way to put it.
I still need to finish other games, but it's really tempting if I read something like this.

You've heard wrong then.

Well, it's not like I care that much about Alisha anyway. And apparently the DLC is free, so I guess I'm happy.

Surprisingly high sounding review scores, don't Tales games usually get pretty much only 7s? I've lowered my expectations so I have a good feeling I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now that I said that, I guess my expectations got higher, though. It's hard. Well, whatever, it's a new Tales game, of course I'll enjoy at least enough to finish it.

Just praying the PC port is good. Who's doing the porting and what games, if any, have they ported before?

I heard it's the one who ported Xenoverse to PC. They did a good job on that one.

With the PC specs as low as they are, any chance I could get this thing to churn on a Surace 3 or that m model Surface Pro 4? I would like to get it at 720p at worst, just don't know info want to shell out 600/900. I can also stream from the PC to the screen was just curious if anyone had thoughts or similarly limited hardware for comparison.

Paznos

No screenshots is insane, it's one of the PS4's best features and they are blocking it?

I'm currently trying to finish Xillia 2 before next week which will be no problem but not sure if I want to play two tales games back to back, but since it's the first tales game on PS4 I might.

Top Bottom