• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Zankou

I played for 3 hours and arrived at Ladylake.

My only complain is that the texts proceed too fast in cutscenes x_x Thats even more annoying since I play with german subtitles and sentences are 1,5 longer than in english lol

Mendrox

With the PC specs as low as they are, any chance I could get this thing to churn on a Surace 3 or that m model Surface Pro 4? I would like to get it at 720p at worst, just don't know info want to shell out 600/900. I can also stream from the PC to the screen was just curious if anyone had thoughts or similarly limited hardware for comparison.

Wouldn't surprise me if the PC version runs better than the PS3 version at 720p :) Go for it

aravuus

I heard it's the one who ported Xenoverse to PC. They did a good job on that one.

Good to hear, now I'm a bit more optimistic. I'm also hoping for a way to uncap the framerate and maybe play the game at a higher resolution (144fps @ DSR 4k oh god), but for now a stable, bug-free-ish experience that actually works with my DS4 is fine.

Technically yes based on the impressions so far. I'll know more tomorrow hopefully :)

Are the 2D elements (skit portraits, menus, icons) redrawn for 1080p, or do they appear slightly blurry and fuzzy from scaling (1080p is 1.5x scaled 720p if using the same 2D assets)

Just wondering if they've redrawn or used higher quality assets -- the 3D visuals appear to use the same assets, just with better texture filtering/draw distance/shadow quality.

Stuart444

Are the 2D elements (skit portraits, menus, icons) redrawn for 1080p, or do they appear slightly blurry and fuzzy from scaling (1080p is 1.5x scaled 720p if using the same 2D assets)

Just wondering if they've redrawn or used higher quality assets -- the 3D visuals appear to use the same assets, just with better texture filtering/draw distance/shadow quality.

No clue, not starting my copy until maybe later tonight or tomorrow. Depends on how I feel.

I'm sure there are others who have played the PS3 version and are playing this that can answer. though :)

Quick question, is there DLC in every copy? Costumes are not important but Alisha's story is in DLC too right?

For the EU side, you can get them on the VIP corner for free (for a limited time).

Guessing the US side will have it in the box, no idea though. (or maybe it will just be free on PSN for a limited time)

I guess they didn't send out review copies ?

I don't know if I should buy this. I played Tales of Xillia and Abyss and I disliked both. I think I can't get into the Tales games.

For the EU side, you can get them on the VIP corner for free (for a limited time).

Guessing the US side will have it in the box, no idea though. (or maybe it will just be free on PSN for a limited time)

Well I'm in an awkward situation where I'm in UK but my account is an Asian PSN, meaning I wouldn't be able to redeem the DLC codes I think ^^; ?

Stuart444

I guess they didn't send out review copies ?

I don't know if I should buy this. I played Tales of Xillia and Abyss and I disliked both. I think I can't get into the Tales games.

Well there are some reviews now.

If your PC meets the reqs, you can always try it on there or wait til a sale if you're really not sure. Tales games are in general quite divisive among the fan base so you never know, you may just like this one.

Regardless, I'm sure there will be some sales eventually on PSN (anime game sales which we've seen before) or Steam (the usual sales) if you can wait :)

Well I'm in an awkward situation where I'm in UK but my account is an Asian PSN, meaning I wouldn't be able to redeem the DLC codes I think ^^; ?

Is the game UK or Asian though? if it's the UK version, you can make a UK PSN account to get the DLC (since DLC isn't cross region).

I have a US, JP and UK PSN account just for stuff like that (and buying digital games from different countries of course :) )

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY SHIT I FOUND SUNGLASSES

AND HE LOOKS LIKE THE BIGGEST DOUCHE EVER NOW-

sorry..but my girlfriend and I can't stop laughing. every cutscene is hilarious
even the flavour-text...

"Opps, I was awesome again. Deal with it."

artsi

I think 2D stuff is 1080p quality. At least to my eye.

Voror

Anyone know how many tracks come on that selection CD with the CE? I'm still somewhat tempted to get that CE since there's apparently one in stock at my store,but not sure based on all that's included.

The best Tales CE thus far was the Symphonia one in my view.

StereoVsn

Does the digital version comes with the DLC too?

Pre-order version from Steam seems to come with DLCs, but the Namco ones will be released on Tuesday for PC according to dev responding to a discussions thread on Steam. Not sure about Greenmangaming orders and other key sellers (steam gifts would work for obvious reasons).

MSMrRound

CRcGw5QUwAAOldY.jpg

Seems to be a Zesty day to me.

Kasumin

SO I've been reading a lot of negative feedback on this game for a lot of time, since japanese release.

What's up with it? does it really have problems? How is it compared to other tales games? And how long is it?

As I understand it, the main problem is the Alisha debacle. And the camera issue, perhaps.

It's more than just the Alisha thing. That's just the issue that became the front issue for the overall problems Japanese players had with the game. Keep in mind that they got the PS3 version, which was pretty rough in some ways. We're getting the improved PS4 and PC ports. So of course the game will be received differently in the West.

Here's a mostly non-spoilery writeup based on import impressions a friend of mine wrote. He focuses on gameplay and mechanics and compares Zestiria's mechanics to past games in the series. He highlights a lot of the technical problems Zestiria has.

Man, I'm still not sure how the narrative regarding Japanese fans' reception of the game got boiled down to something so simplistic. It's really annoying.

Stuart444

Man, I'm still not sure how the narrative regarding Japanese fans' reception of the game got boiled down to something so simplistic. It's really annoying.

Probably because it was the loudest thing shouted about and in most places where people discuss Tales games, the initial feedback from Japanese fans was about Alisha and it spread over western websites.

It's really that simple, if you kept up to date with Zesty, you couldn't avoid the Alisha debacle and it drowned most other criticisms out.

and of course interviews during the run up to release with Baba didn't help things whenever he touched on Alisha.

graycut

Neo Member
Got the asian english version, played until it played the opening movie (without lyrics), oh well. Is the alisha dlc included in the collector's edition?

The standard edition only got some mystic artes, weapon skins and costumes dlc.

Blame it on western sites like Siliconera for basically covering nothing except that for weeks. It got ridiculous. It was a loud complaint, sure, but never the only complaint, and didn't justify the attention it got from gaming news sites.

wow so amazon updated me to free one day shipping but then said the new delivery date is november 13th
fuck that noise. gonna cancel and go with gamestop

ED Cantu

Does anyone know if the dlc would work if I download it from EU? Because all the costumes, artes and the Alisha story are preorder bonuses in NA, right?

But here in my country (as far as I know) we won‘t get anything for preordering, so I didn‘t, and I really don‘t want to miss the extra chapter.

zakujanai

How did this game get released with the camera the way it is? It regularly completely messes up and gets stuck on objects or zooms in really close because of a wall or object blocking where it's meant to be. Playing this two player and it's absolutely awful at times.

Kasumin

Tales of that Douchey Main Character with White Hair who wanted to fuck his Sister also there was a Swordsman Girl with a Blue Hat? - Would have liked it if I didn't find the main character completely unbearable. Dropped it because of him

I totally thought you were referring to Tales of Rebirth and got confused. I never did play Legendia. Also, I guess the blue hat thing doesn't figure into Rebirth.

Now that I think about it. Maybe Zestiria's overly complicated Skill system won't bother me too much. Rebirth's was the proto-proto-form of Dualizing and I had to navigate that in Japanese. Still, not looking forward to dealing with ToZ's Skill system.

How did this game get released with the camera the way it is? It regularly completely messes up and gets stuck on objects or zooms in really close because of a wall or object blocking where it's meant to be. Playing this two player and it's absolutely awful at times.

I've seen many hand wave this complaint by saying that not many people play co-op, but I agree with you. The camera is embarrassingly bad. Since Xillia Tales games have been getting less and less friendly towards co-op. And the reasons for being less co-op friendly aren't even really good ones. I think that 1P can kiiind of adjust it?

They didn't fix it at all? I imported it and played it with my friends for a little when it came out - anything over two people was unplayable most of the time, and two players was typically unplayable. Was really hoping they would have put in some solution to this since they put some work into touching up performance (for the PS4 and PC versions, at least).

aravuus

I tend to like complex skill systems, but I don't like systems that make you constantly change your skill sets to better suit upcoming battles etc. I like gaining new skills by using weapons, advancing a skill tree, whatever, and then being able to more or less activate all the skills I've got.

No idea if I'm gonna like or hate Zest's skill system.

RPGCrazied

wow so amazon updated me to free one day shipping but then said the new delivery date is november 13th
fuck that noise. gonna cancel and go with gamestop

Yeah, at least for NA, Amazon dropped the ball on this product. I've been charged already at gamestop.com, and I can't make changes to the order, hoping it ships out today or tomorrow.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, I'm the exact opposite. That's why I loved FF5 and FFT. Although that's kind of the entire point of the job system and not half-assed.

Yeah, at least for NA, Amazon dropped the ball on this product. I've been charged already at gamestop.com, and I can't make changes to the order, hoping it ships out today or tomorrow.
I've had this preordered on Amazon since December 2014. Sucks that even getting my foot in the door so early still will probably result in delayed shipment.

RPGCrazied

I've had this preordered on Amazon since December 2014. Sucks that even getting my foot in the door so early still will probably result in delayed shipment.

Yeah, I was furstrated. I ordered it on July 8th, and I got a delayed shipment until like November 24th.

They even messed up with the XCX LE, but only by 4 days, on December 8th. 4 days isn't that big of a deal, so I'm not going to cancel.

Top Bottom