• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Reputation

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
For an album opener, this is much much better than Welcome to New York. I hope even the people who don't like it can concede that. Definitely a step lower than the masterpiece that is State of Grace though. I dunno. I kinda like that Taylor is releasing a trashy album ripped straight out of 2007.
Welcome to New York is great, State of Grace like much Red is redundant and forgettable

AHA-Lambda

Great, so I guess the rest of the album will indeed go in this same direction then.
Christ, this one is even worse than the last single.

I just wanted more of 1989 goddammit! But no Taylor had to go "edgy" cos of some drama on Twitter and some other schoolyard arguments or whatever stupid shit >_<

cdyhybrid

PAFCg4O.jpg

VeeP

Great, so I guess the rest of the album will indeed go in this same direction then.
Christ, this one is even worse than the last single.

I just wanted more of 1989 goddammit! But no Taylor had to go "edgy" cos of some drama on Twitter and some other schoolyard arguments or whatever stupid shit >_<

Don't blame Taylor. We know who's fault it is. Look what they made her do...

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
All the criticism that she's getting over these two songs.. It's funny because I totally get it. But I also love them because the lyrics are very much her. But maybe I just feel that way because I've followed her fairly closely over the past few years, so I understand some of the references more than the average person? I don't know. This is just me rambling.

I'm excited for the rest of the CD and, even more so, to see how she is in interviews, live performances, etc. I may be a lot more critical if she can't pull off the attitude once she really resurfaces to promote things.

I must be weird, because I'm enjoying both songs so far. The few people I've spoken to about the songs have enjoyed them as well. I'd be surprised if her newest album isn't at least a commercial success, if not also a critic success given these two singles.

I like the new single a little bit better than the first one. The rap part is cringy as hell tho. This is shaping up to be Taylor's ARTPOP/Witness.

Also, kind of strange for her to release a new single so closely after the first single. Give it room to breathe.

Nasser

I must be weird, because I'm enjoying both songs so far. The few people I've spoken to about the songs have enjoyed them as well. I'd be surprised if her newest album isn't at least a commercial success, if not also a critic success given these two singles.

Her both songs are selling like hotcakes (Right now both number 1 & 2 on iTunes). MV broke records on YT too. The general public loves Taylor

Memles

Just to be clear, reputation is 100% too big to fail: Swift is one of the few artists who still sells huge quantities of physical albums, and has an incredible relationship with retail. These singles are already all over ABC's promos, and the Taylor Swift Tix system prioritizes pre-orders so that fans will have already bought the album before they're able to respond to its content.

There's always a chance the harsher direction of this music will cut off her attempt at four-straight 1 million first weeks, but this is still going to sell more than any other album since Views (850k), at the very least. But I'd say the bigger issue is whether her sound/tactics with the pre-orders/long delay between albums creates more of an issue the next time she tries to launch an album cycle a few years from now.

Edit: As for "...Ready for it?" I do think that Martin and Shellback are enabling Taylor here, but mainly because they're obsessed with the sonic experimentation at the heart of pop music, and willing to allow her to rap in the interest of getting to play around in the rap/EDM intersections. I had hoped that they would work harder than Antonoff in convincing Taylor to just write a goddamn pop song, and at least the chorus is better, but it appears that Taylor's got enough creative control to do whatever she desires.

That's unfortunate.

I'd like to give respect to that poster from the future who said that Reputation album cover looked like a Rap album cover.

Let us know how things work out with Trump the next time that you post!

just when i think her music couldn't get any worse
there are people that unironically stan for this vile fucking shit

8c953675d9907aa592abe986428a581d.jpg

These extreme reactions are so funny, best part is that you're going to be forced to swallow this crap for a long time because Swift is huge, so try to take it easy.

Song is goooood.

I actually kind of like Ready For It?. Or at least I'm not dreading hearing it hundreds of more times, as I have a 14-year-old daughter.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be clear, reputation is 100% too big to fail: Swift is one of the few artists who still sells huge quantities of physical albums, and has an incredible relationship with retail. These singles are already all over ABC's promos, and the Taylor Swift Tix system prioritizes pre-orders so that fans will have already bought the album before they're able to respond to its content.

There's always a chance the harsher direction of this music will cut off her attempt at four-straight 1 million first weeks, but this is still going to sell more than any other album since Views (850k), at the very least. But I'd say the bigger issue is whether her sound/tactics with the pre-orders/long delay between albums creates more of an issue the next time she tries to launch an album cycle a few years from now.

Edit: As for "...Ready for it?" I do think that Martin and Shellback are enabling Taylor here, but mainly because they're obsessed with the sonic experimentation at the heart of pop music, and willing to allow her to rap in the interest of getting to play around in the rap/EDM intersections. I had hoped that they would work harder than Antonoff in convincing Taylor to just write a goddamn pop song, and at least she the chorus is better, but it appears that Taylor's got enough creative control to do whatever she desires.

That's unfortunate.

I agree that Taylor is too big to fail with this album. Reputation will inevitably be a massive sales success. As you say, I think the question will be what happens with the next album. Super anecdotal, but in my social circle, long-standing Taylor Swift fans are feeling uneasy about this new sound, and I wonder if she's pulling in new casual listeners with this direction. A gain of casual fans without loyalty while damaging relationships with the core base could have consequences down the line. But honestly, it's way too early to tell anything. We'll see how the album turns out and what people think.

I agree that Taylor is too big to fail with this album. Reputation will inevitably be a massive sales success. As you say, I think the question will be what happens with the next album. Super anecdotal, but in my social circle, long-standing Taylor Swift fans are feeling uneasy about this new sound, and I wonder if she's pulling in new casual listeners with this direction. A gain of casual fans without loyalty while damaging relationships with the core base could have consequences down the line. But honestly, it's way too early to tell anything. We'll see how the album turns out and what people think.

She will probably (hopefully) experience a similar burnout that Katy and Adele did following their massive albums 21 and Teenage Dream. 25 only one had big hit (Hello) and Prism had 2 big hits compared to Teenage Dream's like 5. Gaga used up all her good will with Born This Way and we all know how ARTPOP turned out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
She will probably (hopefully) experience a similar burnout that Katy and Adele did following their massive albums 21 and Teenage Dream. 25 only one had big hit (Hello) and Prism had 2 big hits compared to Teenage Dream's like 5. Gaga used up all her good will with Born This Way and we all know how ARTPOP turned out.

I mean.... Adele is still huge and Artpop was good. Not sure what your point is.

I work in a clothing store that JUST got done playing Bad Blood on the store soundtrack.

Pray for me when it comes to ...ready for it?

Holy shit, this is totally "Yeezus" like. The Sleigh Bells-esque distortion on those synths, the darker edgier image by "rapping", the overbearing bass, and the flashes of fuzzed out snares.

I'm intrigued, but I'm disappointed she chose such a conventional chorus. But I'm fucking with the production.

Send My Love (To Your New Lover) was huge, dude.

BunnyBear

I... don't mind it. I like it overall more than Look What You Made Me Do. It's okay. Not great, and not a patch on anything from 1989, but I'm back on board the Reputation bandwagon.

Top Bottom