• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Reputation

big_z

needed to take a leak right after listening to the song and now im sitting here realizing I cant remember anything about it despite only a few minutes passing. generic as it gets.

Catvoca

Banned
Holy shit, this is totally "Yeezus" like. The Sleigh Bells-esque distortion on those synths, the darker edgier image by "rapping", the overbearing bass, and the flashes of fuzzed out snares.

I'm intrigued, but I'm disappointed she chose such a conventional chorus. But I'm fucking with the production.

Taylor's dissing Kanye while making bootleg Yeezus tracks lmao

sasliquid

I finally gave the new track a listen.... it's ok I guess. Does something a lot of other artists have done before and does it in a very bland way but at least it's competent.

Memles

She will probably (hopefully) experience a similar burnout that Katy and Adele did following their massive albums 21 and Teenage Dream. 25 only one had big hit (Hello) and Prism had 2 big hits compared to Teenage Dream's like 5. Gaga used up all her good will with Born This Way and we all know how ARTPOP turned out.

Boy, this post is making LEAPS. While it's true 25 never manifested the same string of successful singles as 21 did, "Send My Love (To My New Lover)" was a decent radio success, and more importantly ADELE IS NOT A POP STAR. Adele's world is the world of adult contemporary, where album sales are king, and which in no way depends on traditional metrics of pop success in order to demonstrate longevity. 25 had the best first week sales of any album in history, a record I doubt anyone else will come close to touching for another decade. Including her in this narrative is absurd.

Perry? Gaga? Yes, although every narrative is distinct. With Perry, Teenage Dream was a slow burn success story, opening fairly low and generating a lot of hits. But then she (and Gaga with Fame Monster) got burned a bit by the half-album cycle trend of deluxe releases with singles attached. So Prism didn't show the growth that it might have had if she had released a full-fledged followup after TD. It's the kind of growth Gaga did have with Born This Way, but that growth was inflated by the Amazon deal, which exaggerates how far Gaga fell with ARTPOP. Ultimately, neither managed to overcome the fact that pop stardom circa 2010s is very different from what it used to be, and very few artists can hold onto the sales of the genre's heyday.

Edit: Oh, also, Perry's problem is she lost access to her maestro. Garbage human, Dr. Luke, but he knew how to write Katy her hooks.

Dereck

that Ready For It song is like if you made a track with Katy Perry, Rihanna and that other one with the voices but have T Swift do all the parts
TJnUZym.gif

Holy shit, this is totally "Yeezus" like. The Sleigh Bells-esque distortion on those synths, the darker edgier image by "rapping", the overbearing bass, and the flashes of fuzzed out snares.

I'm intrigued, but I'm disappointed she chose such a conventional chorus. But I'm fucking with the production.

It’s not Yeezus like, at all. Just because it’s dirty sounding? There is more to the production on Yeezus than twiddling some knobs and making shit sound harsh.

I’ll agree it sounds like Sleigh Bells, amateur and broken up. Not sure what happened with Sleigh Bells, but they regressed into literal garbage after the second album. This is definitely along those lines, it’s bottom of the barrel.

The track is basically reminiscent of mid-00s electro clash. Peaches, Fisherspooner, and The Presets were the leaders in that space. This sounds like a throwaway Presets track, without the charm.

If anyone else had released this, no one would care.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

MrDenny

Her new single reminds me of a kpop song with the sudden electronic shift in the song.
The song would of been better if it was more synth throughout, not really a fan of the bass wub wub.

Draper

From my theme song
My favorite capris on
My by any means on
Pardon, I'm getting my tweens on
Enter the victim
But watch who you pin it on
They see a white girl tryna blame a black man
My 'woe is me' is gonna be prolonged

Her new single reminds me of a kpop song with the sudden electronic shift in the song.
The song would of been better if it was more synth throughout, not really a fan of the bass wub wub.

agreed. in a complete reversal of Reputation, the hook is better than the verses.

It’s not Yeezus like, at all. Just because it’s dirty sounding? There is more to the production on Yeezus than twiddling some knobs and making shit sound harsh.

I’ll agree it sounds like Sleigh Bells, amateur and broken up. Not sure what happened with Sleigh Bells, but they regressed into literal garbage after the second album. This is definitely along those lines, it’s bottom of the barrel.

The track is basically reminiscent of mid-00s electro clash. Peaches, Fisherspooner, and The Presets were the leaders in that space. This sounds like a throwaway Presets track, without the charm.

If anyone else had released this, no one would care.
"Yeezus"-like may be a bit of a stretch musically, but in terms of persona, attitude, and overall intent, this album and that share quite a bit. I'd stake that "Reputation" is meant to be Taylor going all in on the snake, bad girl, and whatever else personas the media has created and coming out of it announcing the real Taylor Swift. "Yeezus" was about Kanye leaning into his darkest impulses & excesses and coming out of it willing to be a better person. Both albums are ostensibly about embracing the worst parts of one's self, symbolizing that through "darker, edgier" production relative to their prior work, and center around a persona exemplifying their dark side, or in Taylor's case, dark sides.

Musically, you're right in saying "'Yeezus" did a lot more than Taylor could ever do on a pop-oriented single. Ultimately, I think this album is going to be hamstrung by the fact that Columbia/RCA/Taylor's label needs this to sell millions and millions of copies.

And hell yeah, to the bolded.

Finally got to listen to the new song... It's HORRIBLE. I have a newfound appreciation for LWYMMD, and I don't like that song.

This is straight-trash. What the actual fuck.

Owzers

Finally got to listen to the new song... It's HORRIBLE. I have a newfound appreciation for LWYMMD, and I don't like that song.

This is straight-trash. What the actual fuck.
Ready for it reminds me of when I used to blindly buy cds on the basis of a song or two in the days before Spotify and then immediately regret my purchase when I hear it.

C4Lukins

The first single was super interesting.

Second single was super garbage, and If you are a Swift fan it is right up your dull pop loving asses.

She finally did something compelling, and you people.... You people hate it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Finally heard this song in passing. Not a Taylor Swift fan, but I feel very strongly about this.

This song is complete fucking trash.

I quite like Ready for it. Or, at the very least the parts where the beat falls away. I feel the same way about LWYMMD. The heavy beat is supposed to be cool, edgy, but it's actually the melodic parts (pre-chorus in LWYMMD and I guess the chorus in Ready for it) that are the best parts.

Both songs are right up my alley when it comes to genre: heavy beats pop/dance with a female voice. So I'm here for Swifts new album.

But I'll go ahead and say that the songs are not as good as their success will suggest. :p

Heard "Look what you made me do" on the radio today and I gotta say I really like. It is catchy and I've already listened to it a few times over on YouTube.

Top Bottom