• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 on Mac RIGHT NOW! On sale for $9.99, free weekend till 6/13!

okno

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, Counter-Strike 1.6 and possibly Day of Defeat do that.

Anyways, guys don't bother with the bow for the sniper, it's a waste of time. It's significantly harder to aim and does much less damage compared to the rifle. And while it's easier to use at closer ranges... it still does like no damage and you will get killed over and over with it.

I wouldn´t say "don't bother" using the bow, as there is nothing more annoying to me than a Sniper who knows how to use the bow. The bow can be incredibly deadly, and can be quite efficient at a distance. I remember one game where there was a Sniper, using a bow, who was dominating nearly my entire team (no joke) for almost the entire game. I had much respect for the guy, because it wasn't like our team was incompetent (we won at the end), but he pissed all of us off quite a bit.

Davidion

vanty said:
O

M

G

It all makes sense now :lol

:lol Here comes the revelations.

Anyways, didn't get much of a chance to play this weekend, will try more later.

GAF server has been hard to get into during peak times.

Has anyone introduced the Mac newbies to 2fort2furious yet? :lol :lol :lol

Gilby

flipping_heck said:
the huntsman is a fun weapon, not brilliant but i use it from time to time for a bit of fun.
AS someone who hates playing a sniper in TF2 (probably because I've only spent about 20 mins total and I suck), I enjoy using him much more with the bow.

Had a good time with everybody this weekend. I was Buster Hymen if anybody remembers us playing together.

Kudos to javaman especially. He was the man with the plan all weekend. Giving tips to players and directing the battlefield. Before he told me to extinguish him I had been trying to kill people with the pyro's alternate fire. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
okno said:
I wouldn´t say "don't bother" using the bow, as there is nothing more annoying to me than a Sniper who knows how to use the bow. The bow can be incredibly deadly, and can be quite efficient at a distance. I remember one game where there was a Sniper, using a bow, who was dominating nearly my entire team (no joke) for almost the entire game. I had much respect for the guy, because it wasn't like our team was incompetent (we won at the end), but he pissed all of us off quite a bit.
Well duh, there will be pros. But this thread has a lot of noobs and first time players who won't be able to replicate that. And it is nowhere near as easy to get headshots with the bow as it is with the sniper rifle. So let's not mislead the noobs here.

Javaman

Davidion said:
GAF server has been hard to get into during peak times.

I've been waffling back and forth with using reserve slots. Any of the GAFfers who want one can have one, and I had it enabled with 3 or 4 slots until last week but it was screwing up joining for everyone else. The server would say (23/24) players and would always let people attempt to join and then give them the server full message. I would much rather non reserved people be able to keep the autojoin dialog window up. I'm not sure what the problem is with it so I've since disabled it. This is why I don't accept donations. Less chances for disappointment!

Boonoo

Dreams-Visions said:

I don't think so. It just acts as a crit. I've seen people running around with arrows in their heads. It's actually weaker than the gun. It's range with headshots is 150-360, so it can't kill a full charged heavy like the gun can.

Javaman

I <3 Memes said:
Had a good time with everybody this weekend. I was Buster Hymen if anybody remembers us playing together.

Kudos to javaman especially. He was the man with the plan all weekend. Giving tips to players and directing the battlefield. Before he told me to extinguish him I had been trying to kill people with the pyro's alternate fire. :lol

Welcome to the server! You were doing quite a bit of tearing up yourself.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo said:
I don't think so. It just acts as a crit. I've seen people running around with arrows in their heads. It's actually weaker than the gun. It's range with headshots is 150-360, so it can't kill a full charged heavy like the gun can.
Yep, sniper rifle with fully charged headshot can 1 hit kill anyone bar an invincible player, feels good seeing that 450 pop up.

Boonoooooo, the L4D crew is playing more TF2 now, you must show us your skills sometime.

okno

Stallion Free said:
Well duh, there will be pros. But this thread has a lot of noobs and first time players who won't be able to replicate that. And it is nowhere near as easy to get headshots with the bow as it is with the sniper rifle. So let's not mislead the noobs here.

I'm merely trying to encourage the noobs to experiment with all the different weapon types. When I first got into TF2, I heard a lot of "x weapon isn't as good as y weapon, don't use it (unless you're a pro)" talk, and it discouraged me from trying new things. Although, when I started, there weren't nearly as many weapons as there are now, and it was mostly, "don't play Spy" talk, but you get my point.

Anyone up for a game in like 30 minutes? Gotta mow the lawn and then I'll be switching over to XP.

EDIT: Right as I stood up, it started pouring rain. So, anyone up for a game?

Boonoo

Stallion Free said:
Yep, sniper rifle with fully charged headshot can 1 hit kill anyone bar an invincible player, feels good seeing that 450 pop up.

Boonoooooo, the L4D crew is playing more TF2 now, you must show us your skills sometime.

We should get some 6v6 going on! Give you guys a taste of comp tf2.

Speaking of comp style TF2, I can't recommend tf2lobby as a great place to get your feet wet. It's an easy, no pressure, way of jumping into some standard 6v6 play. It caters to fairly low skill set, so no one should really feel intimidated. The only thing is that you should go in expecting to play the standard classes--1 medic, 1 demo, 2 soldiers, 2 scouts.

Davidion

Javaman said:
I've been waffling back and forth with using reserve slots. Any of the GAFfers who want one can have one, and I had it enabled with 3 or 4 slots until last week but it was screwing up joining for everyone else. The server would say (23/24) players and would always let people attempt to join and then give them the server full message. I would much rather non reserved people be able to keep the autojoin dialog window up. I'm not sure what the problem is with it so I've since disabled it. This is why I don't accept donations. Less chances for disappointment!

I'll take 5!

Who's paying for the server? Maybe we can pitch in and fund a second one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo said:
We should get some 6v6 going on! Give you guys a taste of comp tf2.

Speaking of comp style TF2, I can't recommend tf2lobby as a great place to get your feet wet. It's an easy, no pressure, way of jumping into some standard 6v6 play. It caters to fairly low skill set, so no one should really feel intimidated. The only thing is that you should go in expecting to play the standard classes--1 medic, 1 demo, 2 soldiers, 2 scouts.
Oh dear. That would endly badly... but I would certainly be down to try.

Boonoo

Stallion Free said:
Oh dear. That would endly badly... but I would certainly be down to try.

Haha it would be fun. Maybe we could round up twelve and give it a go. I tend to like pugs more than lobbies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, what are some other revelations? I've known that
-You can rotate the Engie's buildings with right-click for better placement
for a while now, and it looks like
-Charging the Huntsman makes it less accurate.

What are some other "....this changes everything!" tricks?

Javaman

Davidion said:
I'll take 5!

This one is out of my own pocket. It's not too bad really at roughly $30 a month. I just treat it as any other bill. :lol

The_Technomancer said:

When all-talk is on you can see the chat bubble above clocked enemy spies. It's always funny seeing an enemy chat bubble go running by. BLAMBLAM

As far as Engineer, ALWAYS keep some metal on hand. It's not worth using your last bit to upgrade just to end up loosing the whole thing if someone attacks it and you can't repair. Also, it's totally defenseless and unrepairable while going through the upgrade transformation. Never do that when enemies are near.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I <3 Memes said:

Haha i remember playing with you and saying your name out loud. My roomate goes "What did you just say?" I was Chopperdave.

It seems the server is getting populated a little earlier now. Used to seem like it was at 11pm EST for me but i was playing around 8ish on Sun. i think.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Davidion said:
I'll take 5!

Is there that much interest for the need of another server? Free weekend aside, the "peak hours" are the only times the server is even filled. Unless we get an omnipresent bot in the second server named [GAF]Javaman, I think it'd be hard to fill another server.

Javaman

fallengorn said:
Is there that much interest for the need of another server? Free weekend aside, the "peak hours" are the only times the server is even filled. Unless we get an omnipresent bot in the second server named [GAF]Javaman, I think it'd be hard to fill another server.

Yeah, I don't see much point in one unless it's a dedicated Euro one for those crazy backwards day/night Europeans. :eek:P

Javaman said:
I had it enabled with 3 or 4 slots until last week but it was screwing up joining for everyone else. The server would say (23/24) players and would always let people attempt to join and then give them the server full message. I would much rather non reserved people be able to keep the autojoin dialog window up. I'm not sure what the problem is with it so I've since disabled it.
Yes . . . less reserved slots. I've wondered why the reported # of players doesn't match the games.

Boonoo

The_Technomancer said:

Not necessarily a trick, but getting rocket jumps down completely changes soldier.
And also not really a trick, but turning down sensitivity does amazing things for scout and sniper. I can't believe I played so long at 20. I tried it recently and it almost made me sick, don't know how I did it before.

Nabs

Boonoo said:
You can do this in TF2 and L4D with Mumble. It can make things pretty tough.

Indeed. I have mine set so it's more about the direction of the character than anything else. It's a good way to find a scout who's running around like a mad man though, or a jockey victim in L4D2.

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:

Charging the huntsman only makes it less accurate if you hold it too long (sorry if someone already said this). If you wait like three seconds and the sniper's hands start shaking, then just right click to uncharge it, and start charging it again.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Yeah, Counter-Strike 1.6 and possibly Day of Defeat do that.

Anyways, guys don't bother with the bow for the sniper, it's a waste of time. It's significantly harder to aim and does much less damage compared to the rifle. And while it's easier to use at closer ranges... it still does like no damage and you will get killed over and over with it.
Also, don't listen to this guy. :lol

If you're playing competitively, a really good sniper rifle guy is presumably always better than a really good huntsman guy. If I want to dominate people and top the scoreboards, I play heavy or medic.

But sometimes (even though this might terrify and outrage the likes of vertopci and stallion) people just play around with classes they aren't as good with, or play with silly weapons for fun. And in that regard, even if not as useful, the huntsman is a very fun weapon in my opinion. Nailing people to walls and charging+cutting people's heads off with a giant battle axe may not be as good as normal sniping and sticky bomb camping, but it sure is nice for a change, at least in my experience. :)

Javaman

speculawyer said:
Yes . . . less reserved slots. I've wondered why the reported # of players doesn't match the games.

I think you're referring to a different issue... The way reserved spots work (depending on how the config is set up) is that you can set a certain number of slots that will remain available for certain people to join even when full. Basically once the server fills up with 24 players they can still get in if they are set up with reserve status. It will kick someone off the server to make room. In the past I had it set up to kick spectators then the people with the lowest connection time.

The nonmatching numbers could be due to people loading the game or something. It should always be pretty close to what we actually have unless the server hasn't been refreshed in a while.

The_Technomancer said:

Wear headphones and learn to listen for the Spy decloak sound. Will save your ass so often. For the same reason, keep a casual eye on the kill feed, and watch for your team to start falling one after another to backstabs. It's color-coded, so you only need to pay attention to the deaths on your team.

Philthy

okno said:

Pyros can also set the arrows on fire as well, so if the arrow doesn't kill someone, it'll also ignite them and do damage over time and hopefully finish them off.

Just don't expect to have your arrows lit all the time. Pyros generally don't hang around snipers too often unless they're spy checking, or even know that they can light them in the first place.

commissar

Always always remember that having the soldier's pickaxe out means a medic can't heal you.
I've watched so many people burn to death because they didn't read the description :<

It's a drop weapon though so if you've just started you might not see one for a while.

Yasae

Banned
commissar said:
Yeah I've seen that. those mods and they're incorrect.
The point is that you shouldn't be shooting at where the hitboxes are, because that's an interp between where the server last pinged it and where your client thinks they're going. You're better off shooting directly at the model itself (for instant travel weapons) as when the server gets your data and theirs and they match it's a hit, but if you were shooting at the interped hitbox then it's a miss on your end, so you'll miss.

So yeah. The actual local hitboxes are in the model itself.
AFAIK lag compensation is done via linear interp through the two client/server tick positions as the acceptable hit distance considering latency. So when your client registers a local hit with high latency, the server looks for and of the following positions X-Y during tick Z.
If that makes sense.

Basically make with the shooting at the models :)

edit: Clairifed it so Stallion isn't so confused.
But I miss shooting models point blank. That's why sniper and scout with high pings are nigh unplayable. You can't get enough hits even with amazing accuracy - which I certainly don't have with either, but it's exaggerated due to the ping. The hitbox has to be somewhere and it obviously isn't on the model in quite a few cases. Maybe the interpolation is a bit shotty. I don't know.

I don't bring these points up with other classes because they happen rarely.

commissar

Yasae I replied in the official thread in Online so our conversation doesn't clutter this thread of useful info for new peoples :>

Trouble

Banned
Old Mac too slow? Apple's got you covered with a new Mac Mini today.
features_performer_20100615.jpg

It's like they knew TF2 would make people want to upgrade. :lol

Top Bottom