• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
rar said:
there are no excellent players on f7, and none of them are worth being friends with

PBqNG.jpg

Twig

Banned
EvilMario said:
There are a number of them that are friends of mine, and many are excellent players. Why wouldn't I? :lol
Because they're all fat and I'm racist against fat people.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Hurray, finally crafted my hat. Got that pilgrim looking hat for the Demo. Somewhat pleased. SOMEBODY TRADE ME THE SOLIDER KABUKI HAT NAO.

Blizzard

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Hurray, finally crafted my hat. Got that pilgrim looking hat for the Demo. Somewhat pleased. SOMEBODY TRADE ME THE SOLIDER KABUKI HAT NAO.
I just crafted my third class hat, using a token each time (pyro pyro soldier). I got the kabuto hat. Now I just need a hat for engineer, spy (have a token already) and scout.

Jangaroo

Very nice. I have like the blandest hats ever. The football helmet for the Heavy and the Baseball hat for the Scout.

Yeef

Jangaroo said:
Very nice. I have like the blandest hats ever. The football helmet for the Heavy and the Baseball hat for the Scout.
Psh. Not counting the special ones all I've got is the Modest Pile of Hat.

It looks quite dapper.

notsol337

marked forever
I called twig fat like 40 damned times in this thread, and now he's racist... AGAINST HIMSELF.

That being said, I didn't know you hated the heavy!

He's not fat, he's big boned D:

Boonoo

notsol337 said:
I called twig fat like 40 damned times in this thread, and now he's racist... AGAINST HIMSELF.

Who doesn't hate the heavy! It would be a much shorter list.

kenta

Has no PEINS
TF2 nub here, but I got the Engineer's Gunslinger as a drop so I decided to check out how he plays, and I don't understand why you would actually equip this. Maybe if you could deploy like 4 mini-sentries it would be worth it, but uh, I don't get it. Can someone explain?

n0b

kenta said:
TF2 nub here, but I got the Engineer's Gunslinger as a drop so I decided to check out how he plays, and I don't understand why you would actually equip this. Maybe if you could deploy like 4 mini-sentries it would be worth it, but uh, I don't get it. Can someone explain?

It goes up in a second. If you aren't some stupid wrangler user, you can plop it down as you advance and suddenly you have become two targets for the enemy, and can shoot from two guns at once.

Or you could be one of those horrible engineers that spends two minutes building up their sentry at spawn while their team loses the round, and then asks another player to camp with you so that two player slots are wasted behind a sentry instead of one.

kenta

Has no PEINS
n0b said:
It goes up in a second. If you aren't some stupid wrangler user, you can plop it down as you advance and suddenly you have become two targets for the enemy, and can shoot from two guns at once.

Or you could be one of those horrible engineers that spends two minutes building up their sentry at spawn while their team loses the round, and then asks another player to camp with you so that two player slots are wasted behind a sentry instead of one.
Do you need a hug?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up the Orange Box for 360. The only Valve game I've ever played is Left 4 Dead, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Pretty psyched. :D

Yeef

I played out in the wild tonight; something I haven't done in a long time. I had some really bad players on my team. I think the worst was when I ubered a Pyro on Well CP right out of the gate and he just went and tried to capture the point instead of killing the other team.

kenta said:
Mini sentries build VERY quickly and are hard to spot. Basically it's for people who want to stay near the front lines instead of building a nest. Battle Engineer.

It works very well with the Frontier Justice. If you don't have that yet it should be fairly easy to get. I'm pretty sure you get it with the first milestone.

Plop a mini sentry in a hard to spot corner. Get a couple of kills/assists with it. If it's not dead by then just kill it yourself using the destruction PDA. Now you've got some revenge crits and you can plop another sentry down in about a second. Rinse. Repeat.

n0b

kenta said:
Do you need a hug?

Yes. TF2 makes me angry sometimes. ):

That anger was not directed at you it was at wrangler engies. Just like sandvich heavies that take longer to heal themselves with a sandvich than it takes for them to just die, respawn, and run back to the front line.

Jangaroo

Sounds like you got steam rolled man. I think somebody needs a good honk or two.

Yeef said:
Psh. Not counting the special ones all I've got is the Modest Pile of Hat.

It looks quite dapper.
I think I'll officially quit TF2 once I get the 3 pile hat. It's a goal of mine.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
kenta said:

Battle Engie, man. Those little things are insanely annoying, perfect for throwing down around a corner and then dancing around with the shotgun. They never last long but they're not supposed to, and they usually grab a couple kills before someone pops it.

Spire said:
Battle Engie, man. Those little things are insanely annoying, perfect for throwing down around a corner and then dancing around with the shotgun. They never last long but they're not supposed to, and they usually grab a couple kills before someone pops it.

The best thing to do is bind Build Sentry and Destroy Sentry to keys (along with the other buildings if you feel like it). Makes plunking them down even faster and better for mid-combat.

Also, it may seem silly to use a Wrangler with them, but it does up their damage resistance and fire rate, sometimes it can make the difference.

firex

I think the wrangler is pretty much a replacement for the pistol, but maybe not if you go with gunslinger/frontier justice. It's just because I never did much damage with the engineer's pistol, but then I realize with frontier justice's reduced clip size it could be a good backup while your mini-sentry shoots guys.

And I should try battle engineer with those two, since I unlocked the shotgun and got the gunslinger as a drop. I also want to try eyelander (well, it'd be axelander) demo but I need to get the shield as a drop, since I haven't unlocked any demo achievements and don't really like playing normal demo.

Jangaroo

I found the Demo achievements to be a complete pain in the ass. Just go on an achievement server and grind away a bit and then never touch it again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get the love for the wrangler if you're a battle engie. Seems to me it's even more suited for turtling, which is what lemelluir or however you spell his name, does.

Build entrance
Build level 3 sentry
Wrangle yourself to a corner in an out of the way spot up top
Build exit
Build dispenser
Turtle

I've gotten a shitton more kills using the pistol than I have the wrangler. It's not that it's not useful, but I find that everyone else uses it to keep them at a distance, so I can plop down my baby sentry and rush the other team or hang back and use the pistol for suppressive fire. Pistol is really underrated. It's NOT the speed of the scout and you have to reload it unlike the gatling gun, but damn he has a shit ton of ammo and you'd be surprised how much damage it does up close. I prefer it with FJ since I run out of ammo, and instead of running or wrangling, I whip out the pistol since they've likely taken a lot of damage from the lvl 1 and the revenge critz.

Jangaroo

Pistols are sorely underutilized. Hardly anyone ever bothers to pull it out and use it.

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:
Pistols are sorely underutilized. Hardly anyone ever bothers to pull it out and use it.

Pistols are real nice. There's nothing worse than seeing a wrangled mini sentry when pistol+sentry is much better.

I also love pistoling on scout, though I should probably do it a bit less.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Engineer pistol love!

I always loved the fact that I have so much ammo for it :lol It's such a beautiful and annoying gun on both sides.

n0b

Kuro Madoushi said:
I still don't get the love for the wrangler if you're a battle engie. Seems to me it's even more suited for turtling, which is what lemelluir or however you spell his name, does.

Build entrance
Build level 3 sentry
Build exit
Build dispenser
Turtle

It really makes me angry when lemeilleur does that because he's actually a pretty good engie, but when he does that on like goldrush p2 its basically giving up the first point. Wrangler can be strong but when people spend half of the round setting up for it instead of actually defending I really start to hate how much turtling has actually INCREASED with the new update.

The gunslinger/frontier justice are both encouraging battle engies, but I still see plenty that use the wrangler with that combo even though it makes no sense.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
n0b said:
It really makes me angry when lemeilleur does that because he's actually a pretty good engie, but when he does that on like goldrush p2 its basically giving up the first point. Wrangler can be strong but when people spend half of the round setting up for it instead of actually defending I really start to hate how much turtling has actually INCREASED with the new update.

The gunslinger/frontier justice are both encouraging battle engies, but I still see plenty that use the wrangler with that combo even though it makes no sense.
Heh. He was actually raging on the F7 forums the other day too because people kept stealing his metal or the metal from his dispenser (another engie).

He's good at being a standard reliable engie. He does what I would expect an engie to do, but it can get friggin boring if you don't mix it up. If I see him on the other team, it's either medic or engie and I almost always know where he'll set up: the most conservative place.

I also don't see a problem giving up goldrush pt1. You need a REALLY good team to keep it and there aren't many good places to set up without team coordination that will actually last. I'd gladly give up pt 1 if I knew there were 2 pyros and 2 engies up on the roof all set up and ready. I think I saw five engies up there once :p

Tried TF2 long time ago (free weekend) liked it but didn't think about it since then.
Now I've been checking it out and really liking it, and probably in September when update hits and hopefully price reduction/free weekend I'll be picking it up.

Usually with big updates come price reduction right? Even if it's a great game I'm cheap/poor so 15e meh :p

Inkwell

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Early version of my ctf_nightwatch map is ready:
http://www.box.net/shared/g0vt88lhn1

I took a run around your map. Looks pretty nice. For the most part it looks pretty polished already. There were a couple of areas that could use slightly more detail, and there was a missing texture, but I have to say I'm interested in trying this out once it's finished.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nolimit_SS said:
Tried TF2 long time ago (free weekend) liked it but didn't think about it since then.
Now I've been checking it out and really liking it, and probably in September when update hits and hopefully price reduction/free weekend I'll be picking it up.

Usually with big updates come price reduction right? Even if it's a great game I'm cheap/poor so 15e meh :p

It goes on sale pretty frequently. Anywhere from $9.99 to $2.49. Just keep an eye out for it, but trust me, the game is worth the $19.99 you'll be paying.

Yeef

EvilMario said:
It goes on sale pretty frequently. Anywhere from $9.99 to $2.49. Just keep an eye out for it, but trust me, the game is worth the $19.99 you'll be paying.
Or $30 for the entire orange box if you don't have the other games.
The retail version is also consistently at $10 on Amazon in the US at least. I don't know what the prices are like in other countries.

[Edit]
Confidence Man said:
Early version of my ctf_nightwatch map is ready:
http://www.box.net/shared/g0vt88lhn1

[IMAGES]
Ran around the map and it seems pretty solid. Two things that bugged me though. Right from spawn I noticed that there aren't any ambient sounds. It makes the map feel sterile and lifeless. Since it's an early version I take it you plan to add them later.

The other thing is the pickup swatches. You've got them under most of the pickups, but you've missed the ones in the BLU intel room and on the train tracks.

Yeef said:
Or $30 for the entire orange box if you don't have the other games.
The retail version is also consistently at $10 on Amazon in the US at least. I don't know what the prices are like in other countries.

[Edit]

Ran around the map and it seems pretty solid. Two things that bugged me though. Right from spawn I noticed that there aren't any ambient sounds. It makes the map feel sterile and lifeless. Since it's an early version I take it you plan to add them later.

The other thing is the pickup swatches. You've got them under most of the pickups, but you've missed the ones in the BLU intel room and on the train tracks.

Yeah it's an early version for testing. There aren't any sounds, lots of missing/placeholder details, no backgrounds, and no optimization.

Yasae

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

Build entrance
Build level 3 sentry
Build exit
Build dispenser
Turtle

I've gotten a shitton more kills using the pistol than I have the wrangler. It's not that it's not useful, but I find that everyone else uses it to keep them at a distance, so I can plop down my baby sentry and rush the other team or hang back and use the pistol for suppressive fire. Pistol is really underrated. It's NOT the speed of the scout and you have to reload it unlike the gatling gun, but damn he has a shit ton of ammo and you'd be surprised how much damage it does up close. I prefer it with FJ since I run out of ammo, and instead of running or wrangling, I whip out the pistol since they've likely taken a lot of damage from the lvl 1 and the revenge critz.
Exactly. Keep them at a distance because its range is unlimited. Funny how the eGo servers running Turbine (an official Valve map) capped the amount of engies usable at one time - I believe the limit is a paltry 2, maybe 3 on each team. Maybe it's because they break the map from having substantially overpowered weapons? Just a hunch.

Javaman

notsol337 said:

Run faster Heavy, Pump those hams!

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:
Heh. He was actually raging on the F7 forums the other day too because people kept stealing his metal or the metal from his dispenser (another engie).

He's good at being a standard reliable engie. He does what I would expect an engie to do, but it can get friggin boring if you don't mix it up. If I see him on the other team, it's either medic or engie and I almost always know where he'll set up: the most conservative place.

I also don't see a problem giving up goldrush pt1. You need a REALLY good team to keep it and there aren't many good places to set up without team coordination that will actually last. I'd gladly give up pt 1 if I knew there were 2 pyros and 2 engies up on the roof all set up and ready. I think I saw five engies up there once :p

That pisses me off to no end. People should focus on getting the sentries upgraded that'll see combat first, not some stupid one behind the line. Also seeing all my stuff go poof because I can't repair due to another engineer taking all of the ammo out of my dispenser it quite annoying. Remember new engineers, never put all your metal into upgrading something, keep a reserve handy to repair things with.

oops, doublepost.

Jangaroo

I have to say, Arena is actually kind of fun. Gave it a bit of a go and it's a nice change of pace.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
You know, when people say a team is stacked and I'm on the team they say is stacked, I always wonder if I'm one of the people that they consider being "stacked" or if I'm just lucky to be on that team :lol

Boonoo

Does F7 have an arena? I haven't bothered to check.

I don't think so. I tend to play on either the sourceop arena server or the SA one.

SA 75.126.53.141:27015
Sourceop 74.55.49.246:27015

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Boonoo said:
I don't think so. I tend to play on either the sourceop arena server or the SA one.

SA 75.126.53.141:27015
Sourceop 74.55.49.246:27015

Yeah, F7 hates Arena. SourceOP is a decent server, and people actually talk. Doorman is God can be decent, but it's a 32 man Arena server, although rarely full..

Jangaroo

EvilMario said:
Yeah, F7 hates Arena. SourceOP is a decent server, and people actually talk. Doorman is God can be decent, but it's a 32 man Arena server, although rarely full..
I think I had Doorman's arena server bookmarked because that name sounds familiar. I hate 32 player servers though. I'll check out Sourceop's though thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom