• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeoz

Kuro Madoushi said:
Never heard this before...zoey or someone, can confirm?

Edit: since we're (always) on the subject of hats, do you guys remember the first hat you got? Drop/trade/purchase/crate.

First I got was a day after they introduced hats. It was a heavy football helm. I was thinking, 'wtf is this?!' Little did I realize how rare hat drops would be.
I don't know what cosmetic items mean. Does that mean no hats? I haven't see a hat on a f2p account so far (besides ones that got them with free weekends before the f2p conversion).
But, I've gotten paints and name tags on f2p accounts though.

Also, haha, my first hat was a football helmet too.

My first hat was very soon after the drop stuff happened. It was a mining light. One of my first drops. Still have that. Still think its a shitty hat.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
First unusual was a stout shanko with confetti...didn't know ppl pay money for this shit.

Spent 30 bux on keys too

Trade me that for my toque with confetti. I know how much you love heavy.

TheBez

Dechaios said:
I kinda feel the same way. It shouldn't be too hard to brighten the textures a little bit as I'm losing all my detail at this point.
Yeah it seems really dark. A little too black, you lose the detailing.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Lobby is filled with raging idiots who don't know how to play but like to give shitty advice.
Yeah, but so are pub servers.

Edit: Really, though, I've had pretty good luck with lobby. I've been popping into games again, and people have been pretty pleasant.

Boonoo said:
Yeah, but so are pub servers.

Edit: Really, though, I've had pretty good luck with lobby. I've been popping into games again, and people have been pretty pleasant.
On the whole people in the Tf2 universe are nicer than any other online space I've ever been a part of of this size. Beats xbox live, psn, Dota etc etc.

Yeef

Forkball said:
That was awesome.

And Shortstop Scout is a subclass but not Huntsman Sniper? Also needs more sexy TF2 fanart.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs42/300W/f/2009/099/e/5/e511718f50c0fb023d55efb600cea9a4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]Well, there are plenty of subclasses. Fez spy, for example, but I tried to stick to subclasses that change a fundamental part of the class gameplay. With any scattergun you always want to get into point blank range to deal maximum damage. That's not true of the shortstop since it doesn't have the extra ramp up. Huntsman sniper still follows the "shoot people in the head, charge for more damage" fundamentals of sniper. [spoiler]Also, I have an obvious Scout bias.[/spoiler]

[EDIT] [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29877387[/url]

Sibylus

Banned
Heh, got a Doctor's Sack in a drop yesterday. Darnit TF2, I already have my perfect costume.

90px-Backpack_Doctor%27s_Sack.png

commissar

Perhaps we should do an OT3 OP?

Reflect the changes which have happened to the game? Could be a useful guide.

Or just have the whole first page being "Click here to Connect" images. That could also work

commissar said:
Perhaps we should do an OT3 OP?

Reflect the changes which have happened to the game? Could be a useful guide.

Or just have the whole first page being "Click here to Connect" images. That could also work
Already done. We just need 33 more posts to get this one closed.

(._.)

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Lobby is filled with raging idiots who don't know how to play but like to give shitty advice.

Noy sure how many Gaffers are interested in comp play. Pet and boonoo are the most knowledgeable (pet is still competing). I can answer some questions as well.
Where can I go to find friendly teams to practice with? I know there are several groups that invite new players for training. I play on TF2l and it is full of tryhards who think they are good but suck.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
GGs all.

And once again, thank you Artemis(?) for the gifts.

Yeef

EmCeeGramr said:
nerf heavy forever
Just revert his spin up speed and Stock Heavy is fixed as are the sandviches.

GRU, Fists of Steel and Tomislav need to be whacked hard with the nerf stick though.

Family Business needs to be buffed or completely changed.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Just revert his spin up speed and Stock Heavy is fixed as are the sandviches.

GRU, Fists of Steel and Tomislav need to be whacked hard with the nerf stick though.

Family Business needs to be buffed or completely changed.
They already nerfed tomislav and fists of steel, didn't they? Maybe GRU too.

How come like 5 people complain about the heavy and no one calls for banning demomen besides me. :( Demomen make people explode, that's clearly worse than bullets.

Yeef

Blizzard said:

How come like 5 people complain about the heavy and no one calls for banning demomen besides me. :( Demomen make people explode, that's clearly worse than bullets.
Demomen are strong at mid range, but weak at close range (janky melee not withstanding). A bad player won't do well as a demoman. A bad player can do fine as a Heavy. A good player will tear shit up as a demoman. A good player will tear shit up as a Heavy.

In truth, I was never a fan of giving demo extended melee range since he's meant to be weak in close range, but it's a minor point. Heavy, by comparison, can negate all of his weaknesses with Tomislav, GRU and a Sandvich which is just stupid.

Blizzard said:

probably because demomen need to use skill, prediction, trajectories, and intimate knowledge of the map layout and how other classes to move to become good

heavies point damage hose, get kills (this is even worse with a medic, since four rockets from mid-to-close range can't even finish them off), and valve makes it worse by giving him shit and tweaking his balance (spinup buff) to negate his inbuilt weaknesses

Boonoo

EmCeeGramr said:
probably because demomen need to use skill, prediction, trajectories, and intimate knowledge of the map layout and how other classes to move to become good

heavies point damage hose, get kills (this is even worse with a medic, since four rockets from mid-to-close range can't even finish them off), and valve makes it worse by giving him shit and tweaking his balance (spinup buff) to negate his inbuilt weaknesses
Pretty much this. Having three demomen or soldiers on a team doesn't break the game. Three heavies do. Heavy is incredibly powerful at an incredibly low skill ceiling.

Where can I go to find friendly teams to practice with? I know there are several groups that invite new players for training. I play on TF2l and it is full of tryhards who think they are good but suck.
Your best bet is finding some people to play with. Even if you can't get 6 you can do lobbies with 2 or 3 people and be fine, especially if you guys are playing the medic soldier pair. You might want to look into CommFT to see if they have anything for people looking to get into comp stuff.
You'll pretty much need to go beyond GAF to find stuff since there isn't much here in the way of comp tf2.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Demomen are strong at mid range, but weak at close range (janky melee not withstanding). A bad player won't do well as a demoman. A bad player can do fine as a Heavy. A good player will tear shit up as a demoman. A good player will tear shit up as a Heavy.

In truth, I was never a fan of giving demo extended melee range since he's meant to be weak in close range, but it's a minor point. Heavy, by comparison, can negate all of his weaknesses with Tomislav, GRU and a Sandvich which is just stupid.
EmCeeGramr said:

Nope, having even one demoman on a team makes the game unpleasant. I demand they be removed. Crit stickies do like 8753 damage, which is practically a limit break! That's like, something Cloud would do!

Also, you need three -good- demomen. Once we decided to try using...8 heavies, I think it was, and like 2+ medics on the offense on some map. Probably hoodoo. We lost, because the defense casually crushed us with a demoman or two.

Good games guys, started to hit the "nod off for a second and wake up walking into a wall" part of my tiredness though, so time for sleep.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Nope, having even one demoman on a team makes the game unpleasant. I demand they be removed. Crit stickies do like 8753 damage, which is practically a limit break! That's like, something Cloud would do!

Also, you need three -good- demomen. Once we decided to try using...8 heavies, I think it was, and like 2+ medics on the offense on some map. Probably hoodoo. We lost, because the defense casually crushed us with a demoman or two.
I find that difficult to believe. You probably mistook 2 heavies for 8. it's a common mistake.

Acerac

Banned
Forkball said:
I think we're all forgetting this fact: The Eviction Notice is the Heavy's best weapon.
In that case I'm sure you'd want to trade some hats or unusuals for my spare Eviction Notices. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
I find that difficult to believe. You probably mistook 2 heavies for 8. it's a common mistake.
I exaggerate most things, but we literally did have 7-8 heavies, and I'm almost certain 2-3 medics, on hoodoo (if hoodoo final is the one where the track goes almost to red spawn over a little pit area). I seem to recall 1-2 demomen, a medic, and an engineer primarily slaughtered us all so that we never got the cart in. You could claim the 7-8 heavies were terrible, but still.

I'm not happy with heavy being overpowered until I can win with ease!

wow, a team of terrible players lost on a spam-heavy payload map that's heavily biased in the defense's favor (like most payload maps)

wrap it up boys, the math of why heavies do literally hundreds (honest-to-god thousands when critting) of hitscan weapon damage per second in mid-to-close range with less than a second's worth of anticipation is nonsense compared to a gimmick match on hoodoo

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
I exaggerate most things, but we literally did have 7-8 heavies, and I'm almost certain 2-3 medics, on hoodoo (if hoodoo final is the one where the track goes almost to red spawn over a little pit area). I seem to recall 1-2 demomen, a medic, and an engineer primarily slaughtered us all so that we never got the cart in. You could claim the 7-8 heavies were terrible, but still.

I'm not happy with heavy being overpowered until I can win with ease!
Pick a class that can do damage at range.

Like the demo.

100'S ALL DAY FROM 100 YARDS
NADES ARE THE BEST

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
wow, a team of terrible players lost on a spam-heavy payload map that's heavily biased in the defense's favor (like most payload maps)

wrap it up boys, the math of why heavies do literally hundreds (honest-to-god thousands when critting) of hitscan weapon damage per second in mid-to-close range with less than a second's worth of anticipation is nonsense compared to a gimmick match on hoodoo
By the way, if you're Crushed, weren't you chasing me with flamethrower/degreaser/backburner and homewrecker at one point, and complaining about pyro when I killed you? Try degreaser + axetinguisher. :p

At any rate, for all the hitscan damage, I still lose, and I'm still a terrible player, which means my classes need buffed, not nerfed! I do okay with grenades, but grenades are explosives and I prefer to avoid such tools of the devil.

Play more Huntsman Sniper Blizzard. Just spam arrows where you see enemies, long corridors, and corners. The huge hitbox is on your side!

such a hypothetical scenario involving flamethrowers would be extremely rare, as such a hypothetical player carries the degreaser/axetinguisher almost exclusively, and said hypothetical kill was a rare situation in which the backburner was better, except when the pyro's equivalent of two crit rockets at point blank range wasn't enough to kill a lumbering Russian meat shield that responded with an instakill 500dps minigun salvo, a cunning tactic also known as "turn around, free kill"

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
such a hypothetical scenario involving flamethrowers would be extremely rare, as such a hypothetical player carries the degreaser/axetinguisher almost exclusively, and said hypothetical kill was a rare situation in which the backburner was better, except when the pyro's equivalent of two crit rockets at point blank range wasn't enough to kill a lumbering Russian meat shield that responded with an instakill 500dps minigun salvo, a cunning tactic also known as "turn around, free kill"
In other words, you may have run at the class strongest against pyro, at the range where that class is strongest against you, and gotten killed. I guess I feel the same way when I play spy and pyros kill me. :p If pyro isn't doing enough damage you could always go demoman!

I do like huntsman sniper though. It's very relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom