• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Bluth54

Valve just put out an update that preps TF2 for the next update:

Internal system changes in preparation for a future update
Updated the localization files

I'm guessing tonight or tomorrow for the big update but it's hard to say for sure. A bunch of new matchmaking text was found in the update explaining it to players.

Bluth54

Looks like there are around 10000 matchmaking servers now, I believe there were around 2000-3000 during the beta. They're ramping up for the update.
DI03bUW.png

Bluth54

Looks like all those servers aren't actually matchmaking servers, they're all Valve servers. Looks like Valve made a little mistake according to Jill on the TF2 subreddit:

Well, hypothetically, we accidentally opt every quickplay server into hosting MM games, and even the mannpower servers decide it'd be neat to help out.

Hypothetically.

CoordinatedImpeccableAardwolf-size_restricted.gif

I just got two more beta passes, which now puts me at a grand total of 10 just sitting in my backpack. I guess they're not moving out of beta just yet. I hope this means they're going to address balance and gameplay changes before fully launching, as you would think they should have been doing at this point in the beta.

Bluth54

I just got two more beta passes, which now puts me at a grand total of 10 just sitting in my backpack. I guess they're not moving out of beta just yet. I hope this means they're going to address balance and gameplay changes before fully launching, as you would think they should have been doing at this point in the beta.

I'm guessing they're doing one more wave to get a few people to do a few last tests for whatever they updated today.

I bet the update will be later today since it wasn't last night, but you never know with Valve.

I'm guessing they're doing one more wave to get a few people to do a few last tests for whatever they updated today.

I bet the update will be later today since it wasn't last night, but you never know with Valve.

Most of their big updates come out on Thursdays, probably because it gives them an extra day to put out any fires the update inadvertently causes before peacing out for the weekend.

Bluth54

It's going to be a long weekend waiting for this update.

I do give Valve props for not pushing the update out the door in a poor state. They obviously still had some issues with matchmaking (since they did another stress test) and I do think it's important that this update ship in good state since it will probably bring in a decent number of new players as well as people who haven't played in some time but want to try out the game again because of the matchmaking.

I don't think anyone wants a repeat of the Manniversary update.

Bluth54

Valve released a small patch today, which is unusual since they don't typically work or release updates on a Saturday:

They are also running the final competitive beta stress test this weekend, the post on the group says it's wrapping up in the next few days.

I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing the big update next week sometime.

Perro

Played some comp today. Takes 5 minutes to find a server, fill the server and start the match. Chilean servers are a mess. Team with a good medic = win.

Bluth54

Played some comp today. Takes 5 minutes to find a server, fill the server and start the match. Chilean servers are a mess. Team with a good medic = win.

During one of the previous stress tests the enemy team had B4nny as their medic. Also the rest of his team was his friends who play competitive. Needless to say they won.

During one of the previous stress tests the enemy team had B4nny as their medic. Also the rest of his team was his friends who play competitive. Needless to say they won.

Doumeki and I took a round from b4nny and some other infamous tf2 players back when the beta first came around.

After that round they went double quick-fix medic/scout and couldn't be stopped.

Bluth54

oh hey I used to play quite a lot with one of his teammates in this vid
It's always fun to see a TF2 video with someone you know. I remember watching a random Mr Paladin video and there was someone in the video I used to play with on a community servers.
I've also played with Mr Paladin a few times and he got a domination on me once, but thankfully I don't think he was actually recording for that because I never saw it on a video.

Bluth54

Interestingly enough the part with the Saxton Hale model was removed from that video, it seems like that's something we weren't supposed to see yet.

If they do make a video with Saxton Hale it will be interesting to see who they get to be his voice actor.

Yeef

Interestingly enough the part with the Saxton Hale model was removed from that video, it seems like that's something we weren't supposed to see yet.

If they do make a video with Saxton Hale it will be interesting to see who they get to be his voice actor.
Troy Baker.

Russ T

Banned
Which sucks. ):

I really want it to happen if for no other reason than to force them to rebuild certain things from the ground up - theoretically improving them!

It wouldn't just be neato... It'd be SUPER NEATO!

Bluth54

Which sucks. ):

I really want it to happen if for no other reason than to force them to rebuild certain things from the ground up - theoretically improving them!

It wouldn't just be neato... It'd be SUPER NEATO!

Plans can always change.
I kinda figured Valve would eventually move CSGO and TF2 over to Source 2 so all their current games would be on Source 2 but I know CSGO recently got some engine improvements so it doesn't even seem likely it will move over to Source 2. Since the version of Source CSGO runs on seems run better then the TF2 version I would be happy to see them port TF2 over to that branch of Source. I know the TF2 team told B4nny that optimizatin was important but I question how much they can can really do at this point.

Russ T

Banned
I bought disgaea cause I assume it's part of an arg leading into the update

(I'm kidding... Except I did actually buy the game tho cause I wanted it anyway)

Plans can always change.
I kinda figured Valve would eventually move CSGO and TF2 over to Source 2 so all their current games would be on Source 2 but I know CSGO recently got some engine improvements so it doesn't even seem likely it will move over to Source 2. Since the version of Source CSGO runs on seems run better then the TF2 version I would be happy to see them port TF2 over to that branch of Source. I know the TF2 team told B4nny that optimizatin was important but I question how much they can can really do at this point.

The optimization issues are because Valve is lazy and each update brings new bugs that affect performance. On Macs, for example, a machine that could run everything on maximum a year ago can't play with textures above medium today due to a memory leak issue. They could optimize the game a ton simply by patching out bugs and actually testing updates before shipping them.

An update to Source 2 will never happen. It's been said so many times now, the physics will break and the TF2 code is stuck together with tape and rubberbands. It may be possible, but the 1-7 people working on the game aren't gonna tackle that.

Bluth54

An update to Source 2 will never happen. It's been said so many times now, the physics will break and the TF2 code is stuck together with tape and rubberbands. It may be possible, but the 1-7 people working on the game aren't gonna tackle that.

Well if they were to upgrade to Source 2 I doubt it would just be the TF2 team doing it, I imagine the Source 2 team would help out, though I do agree it's almost certainly not going to happen.

|:

ima stop u rite there

cause that's bullshit, sorry

Almost every recent update has shipped with massive, incredibly visible bugs. A UI bug had no less than three patches claiming to fix it before it actually went away, and then came back one update later.

"Lazy" is an exaggeration, but they couldn't possibly have done any playtesting for the last few updates at all.

Top Bottom