• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sonic Racing review thread

Fake

Transformed ran at sub-30fps on consoles, yet this game is criticised for 40-60fps? Seems unfair.
This game use the same old engine of transformed from old gen. Mario Kark for Wii U runs at 59 fps, and 60 fps on NS with charming custom engine. Unless this Sonic kart game showing some ground breaking next gen graphics dunno if this explain why the framerate is so unstable. John from DF sayed the game was even worst on previous builds.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
This game use the same old engine of transformed from old gen. Mario Kark for Wii U runs at 59 fps, and 60 fps on NS with charming custom engine. Unless this Sonic kart game showing some ground breaking next gen graphics dunno if this explain why the framerate is so unstable. John from DF sayed the game was even worst on previous builds.
I don't like to obsess over graphical detail, but if we're going to compare Sonic Racing has significantly better texture quality and image quality compared to Mario Kart 8 (the Switch version of MK8 still lacks any anti-aliasing).

Saber

Gold Member
Transformed ran at sub-30fps on consoles, yet this game is criticised for 40-60fps? Seems unfair.

Can't wait to play it, should arrive in the post tomorrow. I preferred the pure kart racing of the original All-Stars racing to the boring boats and planes of Transformed, so this new game suits me.

Not sure this is a valid argument since Transformed was in old gen plataforms. We have better and powerful consoles now and Im pretty sure they aren't trying to archieve ground breaking graphics or anything.

Now, if we were talking about CTR then I would agree.

Also, the main reason to Sonic All Star series to be popular among other racing games was because of the use of other Sega characters besides just Sonic. This one is more to appeal fans, since Sonic Team fails miserably in doing Sonic games with playable multiple characters.

Last edited:

Fake

I don't like to obsess over graphical detail, but if we're going to compare Sonic Racing has significantly better texture quality and image quality compared to Mario Kart 8 (the Switch version of MK8 still lacks any anti-aliasing).
Neither I, but if you don't gonna push 'the high graphics' on your game at least give stable 60 fps a priority and imo this game don't archieve none.
They could opt for dynamic res, no AA, any trick to put fixed 60 fps.
Maybe if you want to compare with the PC version, but in the console area is kinda of mix bag. The first all star game for Xbox 360 was mind blow at least for me.

You can at least get that hdmi mcable gaming edition for AA in MK

Last edited:

Pejo

I'll give this a shot someday, it's not like we're drowning in arcade racers these days. Still, I'm disappointed that we didn't get another Sega All-Stars instead of a Sonic focus game. Transformed was probably my favorite arcade-style racer that isn't called "Burnout".

ROMhack

While I'm disappointed by the lack of Sega back catalog, the original was a sleeper hit and Sumo do make good racing games so it's probably alright.

The one review I read basically said that it's a good game but not as silly-fun as the original.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
I haven't been able to find a single online game on PS4 yet, anyone else had luck? Shame there's no cross-platform multiplayer to increase the player pool.

The single player is fun though, some of the challenges are surprisingly difficult!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom