• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded |OT|

Wozman23

Is that including the new content?

I played an hour or so last night, the intro was a little bizarre with the channel surfing stuff, kind of feels like they struggled to capture the "looking into another world" idea from the Vita version. Still having a ton of fun with it though.

I loved the bizarre intro. It totally caught me off guard and was unique. I'm hoping the game has a lot of those delightful deviations from the original. So far I played up to the crown part, and stopped there because I know, just as with the original, I'm gonna want to waste way too much time at the craft table.

weekev

Banned
People are ignoring it due to feeling pissed that the game moved form Vita to PS4.
People are ignoring it due to being to 'kid-friendly'.
People are ignoring it due to it launching next to a new Mario game (AGAIN X().
People are ignoring it due to be ignorant.
People are ignoring it due to hating great original games.

Lots of reasons people are ignoring it, and its a damn shame :'(. I'm still sour on it jumping from Vita to PS4 but its still a great game and I hope it gets success on PS4 it never had on Vita :').

....But that seems to sadly not be the case X(.
I mean, Vita is pretty much not getting support from Sony anymore and they have added a ton of content.
Yes the target audience is the same as the Mario audience, Im getting both games.
Your last 2 points are the frustrating ones, it doesnt go shoot shoot bang bang and has gameplay Im not used to so I aint interested.

RK128

I mean, Vita is pretty much not getting support from Sony anymore and they have added a ton of content.
Yes the target audience is the same as the Mario audience, Im getting both games.
Your last 2 points are the frustrating ones, it doesnt go shoot shoot bang bang and has gameplay Im not used to so I aint interested.

Its really sad :(. I hope the game does well despite all thats going against it.

FrsDvl

You know, if i wasn't desperate for a Vita game back in the day, i would've never even batted an eye at Tearaway. But i'm so glad that i bought it, it is such an amazing game. And i couldn't have been more excited when Unfolded was announced.

People really need to give this, or the Vita version a chance, it's such a great, great game.

Wozman23

The more optimistic way of looking at Tearaway's existence is being grateful that Sony is still willing to continue supporting whimsical franchises like it (as well as Ratchet, Sly, and Puppeteer) despite weak sales numbers and an overall aversion by the vast majority of modern gamers.

I really hope they continue to bury their heads in the sand and allow Sanzaru to continue with Sly.

Loudninja

The more optimistic way of looking at Tearaway's existence is being grateful that Sony is still willing to continue supporting whimsical franchises like it (as well as Ratchet, Sly, and Puppeteer) despite weak sales numbers and an overall aversion by the vast majority of modern gamers.

I really hope they continue to bury their heads in the sand and allow Sanzaru to continue with Sly.
I think those games dont cost much to make that is why.

RK128

Once Fire and Ice is finished with development (this fall), they can have more resources/man power to make bigger games again.

So, them returning to the Sly series is a logical move :). Maybe Sucker Punch can co-develop the game (they are a bigger studio now) with Sanzaru or Sanzaru can work with another studio for the project (MM or Insomniac?).

RiverKwai

cee4cbf82249fdf41c0e2a03c1a64f4382088e9c.gif

Ikuse!..Shoryu Reppa!

1557424_10153153605157776_84937321772035028_o.jpg

1504165_10153153605167776_5176275232047653316_o.jpg

12006656_10153153605172776_8272320342675860958_o.jpg

11703421_10153153605152776_1120489288410011179_o.jpg

Maximus.

Can't wait to play it. Really wanted to try it out when it was on Vita, but sold it shortly before the game came out. Was happy when they announced this version.

Hello GAF!

VMvFDFg.png

1pm and the guy in the electronics section was only just unpacking them. Had to ask for a copy of the special edition because he hadn't gotten around to those yet.

Also grabbed Puppeteer for $5.

This is the type of game that will benefit the most from uncompressed PNG screens. So much color and depth that gets a bit lost when compressed.

a40o1nf.jpg

CwiPmAx.jpg

Hello GAF!

VMvFDFg.png

1pm and the guy in the electronics section was only just unpacking them. Had to ask for a copy of the special edition because he hadn't gotten around to those yet.

Also grabbed Puppeteer for $5.

Your plushy looks better quality than mine.
Mine has glue all over the place where there's not meant to be glue :(

I doubt Sony is going to stop making games like this. Despite all the shit that happens with Tearaway and other titles sent to die, they at least get made, because once that stuff hits big, it's worth all the "duds".

Still, Tearaway is pretty deserving of its praise and cult status. The TV thing was great, and while I'm only playing the demo, Friday's check is going to be spent on this game. It's just so refreshing and charming.

Carl

Preordered mine on UK PSN. Don't know why I bought digital but ah well. Was one one my favourite Vita games, can't wait to play a more expanded version (and maybe plat it this time, heh)

Oh man - thank you for stepping up to the plate. I was considering it myself - even thought about subtitles:

- Tearaway Unfolded |OT| You, Remade.
- Tearaway Unfolded |OT| A Second Chance for You

:)

People, if you are on the fence, buy this fucking game!! It is tremendous!

Yay an OT is up!! Now then, anyone else having an issue where the code in the crafted edition doesn't give you the soundtrack?

Yeah i never got it either.

Same, and it's really annoying me as the soundtrack is the main reason why I got the game. I've tweeted AskPlaystation, Tarsier and Media Molecule and no one has replied.

In addition, I'm not sure that I got all the bonuses with the code. The same thing happened to me with the Vita version. It says I've installed two add-ons (Torn-Away and Pop-Up packs) and I have four costumes in my inventory, which I'm assuming are God of War (guy with muscles), Journey (brown guy #notracist), a blue-faced guy (???) and a guy with green clothing (last one, also ???).

I'm also positive I don't have a pig crown papercraft, and I have no idea where The Order, TLOU, and other items are supposed to show up, because I don't have those either. Maybe they show up after you've beaten the game?

Here's all the supposed bonuses:

- Gold Leaf for your costume
- Gold Stamp for your costume
- God of War costume
- Journey costume
- Custom decorations from Lemmings, Gravity Rush, No Man’s Sky, The Order: 1886, God of War, Infamous, The Last of Us, and Killzone (don't have these)
- Two papercraft plans (Sackboy and Baby Wendigo) (don't have these)
- Pig Crown (don't have this)
- Soundtrack (don't have this, raging lol)

If anyone knows where the decorations are supposed to be, let me know. Most importantly, where is my freaking soundtrack?

6-8 hours.

If you blast through the story, maybe, but if you are remotely doing any of the side stuff, this game is way longer than that. I just stopped after 8 hours of playing and I'm 40-45% done (according to the game). I just reached the beginning of the
third
area.

My last minute pre-order messed up again so I probably don't have the bonuses. Still look forward to playing through the game again.

The bonuses are inside the game, on the back of a piece of paper. It's one code that redeems two packs but no soundtrack!

As for my thoughts on the game so far, I'm pretty disappointed. I loved Tearaway on the Vita, it's one of my 10 favorite games of all-time. I understand that the charm is not going to be there this time, but they dragged out all the levels to 2x the size, it's insane and quickly becomes tiring. This barely feels like the Vita game--there's at least 50% new content, which at first glance seems awesome, but it just doesn't flow well at all. I find myself agreeing with IGN's comments right now. If I had the soundtrack I would definitely be happier though!

FrsDvl

- God of War costume
- Journey costume
- Custom decorations from Lemmings, Gravity Rush, No Man’s Sky, The Order: 1886, God of War, Infamous, The Last of Us, and Killzone (don't have these)

Did you check www.tearaway.me ? I have the papercrafts on there.

The other stuff I'm not sure about though.

De_Legend

Banned
Once Fire and Ice is finished with development (this fall), they can have more resources/man power to make bigger games again.

So, them returning to the Sly series is a logical move :). Maybe Sucker Punch can co-develop the game (they are a bigger studio now) with Sanzaru or Sanzaru can work with another studio for the project (MM or Insomniac?).

Yeah, a 2017 release along with the movie is a no brainer.

I expect a reboot à la Ratchet.

Ascenion

- God of War costume
- Journey costume

If anyone knows where the decorations are supposed to be, let me know. Most importantly, where is my freaking soundtrack?

Can't speak for the papercraft plans but, the costumes are in for me, as are the decorations. The golden leaf and stamp should just be on Iota/Atoi by default. The crown, should also simply be on the pig, unless it was always there in which case I don't know. I just reached Sogport before calling it a night.

I want my soundtrack though. Didn't have time to call Sony today, but they will get an ear full tomorrow.

Did you check www.tearaway.me ? I have the papercrafts on there.

The other stuff I'm not sure about though.

Thanks, I should have figured it would be there, but I don't print out the designs so I was hoping it would be in-game items. I wonder what the gold border papercrafts mean? I'm guessing those are from OG Tearaway and the non-bordered ones are from Unfolded? I have way more gold ones and I 100%'d OG Tearaway so I think that's it.

Did my part in supporting this game (again), got my PS4 copy today here in Taipei. Clerk at my store handed me a free plushie with the retail copy.

Getting a Vita this fall, and a Ps4 in spring. Gonna have to decide which to play it on.

Looks beautiful as always though! I played through the first hour or two on a 1st gen Vita that I don't have anymore and quite enjoyed it.

Just played the demo. I Never played the vita version but wow I'm blown away by this, super fun and charming my gf and I were having a blast . Definitely locks in a purchase from me. One question though, is there a jump button? In games like this I just love jumping around was a tad disappointed I couldn't jump on command.

RiverKwai

Just played the demo. I Never played the vita version but wow I'm blown away by this, super fun and charming my gf and I were having a blast . Definitely locks in a purchase from me. One question though, is there a jump button? In games like this I just love jumping around was a tad disappointed I couldn't jump on command.

Regarding jumping
You become able to jump a little bit into the game.

Preordered mine on UK PSN. Don't know why I bought digital but ah well. Was one one my favourite Vita games, can't wait to play a more expanded version (and maybe plat it this time, heh)

Just ordered mine from Amazon, had an offer the other day for £10 credit when ordering £40 gift card so figured I would use it on this and Ratchet and Clank preorders.

Rated-G

For anyone interested, and in the 3.00 beta, I made a Community for the game called Valleyfold Veterans. Figured it would be fun to share screenshots there! It should show up on the Community list, and is open for all to join. I will definitely be remaking it when the software update goes public.

Also has anyone managed to redeem the soundtrack? I already have the Vita game's soundtrack but I really want to know if Unfolded has more or new tracks. I redeemed my code but didn't get it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UK preordered got charged this morning. Game is already downloaded. Now just waiting for Friday.

Kind of wish I'd bought from the us store as I just finished batman and this would be a great change of pace.

For anyone interested, and in the 3.00 beta, I made a Community for the game called Valleyfold Veterans. Figured it would be fun to share screenshots there! It should show up on the Community list, and is open for all to join. I will definitely be remaking it when the software update goes public.

Also has anyone managed to redeem the soundtrack? I already have the Vita game's soundtrack but I really want to know if Unfolded has more or new tracks. I redeemed my code but didn't get it.

If you made a community for the game, there is a community panel right under trophies and friends in the "tearaway" game section. Any community made will be there.

Rated-G

If you made a community for the game, there is a community panel right under trophies and friends in the "tearaway" game section. Any community made will be there.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to? But I wasn't sure if it displays for everyone because it doesn't show up for me or my friend at all in that panel, just lists one Community called "Teraway" for both of us. Even before she joined it.

Oneself

Great game so far, so much style and charm! The DS4 implementation works really well too, I'm impressed!
Why lock the jump button at 1st?? Playing the first hour will make you think there is no jump and it just felt wrong to me.

Top Bottom