• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded |OT|

silva1991

I finished the game hours ago. it was so good. I might play it again later for that white gopher delivery.

the level/world design is just so brilliant.

I just posted picked up my copy. The demo was super fun. For those who played the original, how much extra content is in this edition? It's all new to me but I'm just curious.

The post count in this thread is a bit sad. Hard to see this game having decent sales at all.
I really doubt it'll sell well. I haven't seen any marketing for it and even the night the demo came out it was a bit buried on the ps store when it should've been front and center.

Ogawa-san

Man, you could platinum the Vita game in two sittings but this one's way harder somehow. I'm missing stuff on stages that barely changed from the Vita version...

I just posted picked up my copy. The demo was super fun. For those who played the original, how much extra content is in this edition? It's all new to me but I'm just curious.

Media molecule said it was about 50% new content, but it seems like more than that to me. It's quite a different game, especially given even the old parts of remapped inputs.

If you like this, definitely play the video game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The post count in this thread is a bit sad. Hard to see this game having decent sales at all.

Well it wouldn't be unprecedented for Sony platformers in general these past few years. "Budget title" with "budget" budget - specially marketing budget. Still funny reading slides about them wanting to go for the casual crowd with content offerings tailored to them. #1 - the price of the console is still too high and #2 - you can make all the casual content you want, if you don't market it, it's a half-assed effort. Interesting to see how the dynamic will play out when NX gets announced.

leng jai

The irony is that the demo they put out was pretty bad as well. Way too many cutscenes and tutorials. I'd imagine it probably put more people off than anything, unless they purely wanted it for the graphics.

Hopefully some high-profile youtubers end up making a couple of Let's Plays, that may drum up some interest.

But yeah this is mostly on Sony. They sent the game out to die...again

sn00zer

After playing the demo Id say its like 70% new stuff. The level design is similar, but almost all of the puzzles have changed. The art is almost completely new. I as actually shocked how much new stuff is int it. Its a legit reimagining through and through

Auctopus

Played the very generous demo.

Absolutely amazing aesthetic. I love the stuff like waterfalls and clouds, will definitely buy later on in the year. Can't afford much more game purchases right now.

Hazanko

Banned
Great game. Don't like shining the light tho. Might be how I hold the controller but it just seems off and not centered properly.

I really like the DS4 additions. The wind swipe is ace. Love that and the gameplay that comes with it. I don't mind the light. It's a bit wonky for me at times but works fine mostly. Also like being able to draw stuff on the touch pad. That's really cool, although my drawings aren't so much lol.

I'm not really far in. Just at the barn part going in, which was in the Vita version, but there's been a good mix of new and "old" so far and it's got a nice old skool 3D platformer feel to it. I almost get Banjo & Kazooie vibes from the world.

thenexus6

I already played and beat the vita version so I am in no rush to run out and get this. Maybe sometime next month.

Edit: Didn't see UK had a demo up. Will download and have a play later.

Great game. Don't like shining the light tho. Might be how I hold the controller but it just seems off and not centered properly.

Press 'up' on the D-pad and the light beam self centers again. Amazing and beautiful game. I hope it sells enough to get a sequel sometime.

Shin-Ra

Press 'up' on the D-pad and the light beam self centers again. Amazing and beautiful game. I hope it sells enough to get a sequel sometime.
Thanks, I was trying to work this out in the demo.

Still finishing MGSV here.

https://twitter.com/tearawaygame/status/642664946287951872
TqIrHS.png

This feels like a completely new game compared to the Vita version. So glad I picked it up.
Anyone on beta 3.0 software having trouble getting the companion app to work?

Inkwell

Banned
I played through the story and I'm working on collecting everything, but there's some stuff that's really bothering me. Those misplaced gopher quests or whatever are just irritating. I don't mind the general idea or challenge of it, but having to completely restart a chapter and go through all the bullshit that goes with it when you screw up is bad game design. It doesn't add anything to the game. Just let me have the option to reload a checkpoint just before the gopher if I lose a stamp. I really hope I'm missing some simpler way to do this.

Another problem I'm having is defeating all the scraps. Some are not registering. I'm on Gibbet Hill and was missing 7 of them. I had 5 of them get added to the total after re-doing the last 2 combat sections. I played the level again doing exactly what I did the first time and am now missing 1. I had the same issue on an earlier level. I'm about to play through the level again. I'm pretty sure some that are defeated by other AI, or those that kind of just fall off the side of the mountain are the culprits. I know it's not the guy in the outhouse.

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other Marketplace Sellers on this page, it's not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are dispatching it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page

From the amazon uk page http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I9WW5MW/ anyone know what the problem is?

TripOpt55

Started this up today. I'm not sure some of the control concessions made to move it to PS4 work as well as on Vita, but maybe I just need to get used to them. Still a lot of fun. Still so charming. And I still love the papercraft look so much.

Man, you could platinum the Vita game in two sittings but this one's way harder somehow. I'm missing stuff on stages that barely changed from the Vita version...

Don't even get me started! I'm pretty upset over this, but I'll leave that for my review.

Speaking of missing stuff, does anyone have insight on the below collectibles? I'm particularly concerned about St. Swithin's Moor because me and others are missing the same set ot collectibles.

- St. Swithin's Moor - 10 confetti, 1 present
- Crash Site - 1 present
- Coggage Cove - 3 confetti. I see a sewer hole that probably has the confetti but I can't open it. I was able to open two other sewer holes. There's a ball dispenser on the beach and I think it's needed somehow but I can't figure it out.
- The Lab - 12 confetti, 1 present (I think the present might be in the platforming trial section. I found 2 presents there. Are there 3?)
- Between the Pages - 1 present (No clue, it's a short level too.)
- The Desert - 1 present
- The Tear - 2 presents

Loved it on Vita, will buy it again on PS4 next Christmas.

Demo was kind of boring. Cool looking though.

It was the same on Vita, the demo does a very poor job at selling the game on its strongest points - its charm and the incredible artistic direction.

This game is absolutely lovely.

Gamefly has failed me. Thought since it shipped Wednesday they would get it to me by Saturday.

But nope.

Seriously I would pay $10 more a month if I could get overnight shipping.

Brew124

I was really looking forward to playing this. Rented a copy from Gamefly to see if I'd enjoy it before buying it, but for some reason, my PS4 keeps starting and stopping the disc, which is causing the game to take forever to load, and the audio/gameplay freezes every couple seconds. It's unplayable in that state.

Weird thing is, it's only that disc. Every other physical game I have works perfectly still, including Metal Gear, which is my most recent purchase.

I tried Tearaway on the official firmware and on the beta firmware and had the same results each time. I also checked to make sure that it didn't get smudged or scratched in the mail. No clue why it's doing it.

I finally found the missing confetti and present on St. Swithin's Moor. It's on top of the tree where the crows hide the key at the end. Once you get the paper plane at the beginning of the level you can just fly right up to it.

Alchemy

Preordered before going on vacation, once things clear up (and I finish MGS5) I'm going to tear into this game. I adored the Vita version.

thenexus6

Played the demo for a while. Not a fan of the motion controls, it seems really awkward. My camera was going crazy when I had to take a photo. Is there anyway to swap some of the motion for analogue stick?

Blues1990

Aside from the limited knowledge that it was a PSVita exclusive and that the game's aesthetic is based off of paper crafts, I'm going into this game blindly. I don't know what to expect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was ready to buy it again after finishing the Vita game but the price is keeping me away.

I know prices suck in Europe most of the time but games like MGSV, Mad Max, and other recent releases are all available at retail stores for 55-60Euro. Every single copy of Tearaway Unfolded has been 65-75Euro. I mean, who thought it made sense to charge 74,99€ for this game?! They sent it to die. I'm a fan and I just can't justify that. It's insane. Anyone with a passing interest will see that price at a store and ignore it.

Of course, Amazon has it for less as usual, but they're destroying their casual retail purchases with high prices.

I'm so bummed out. My copy arrived last week and it seems to be a duff disc. I've had to send Simplygames an email to ask for a replacement disc. :(

More people need to play this game man. I absolutely loved it on the Vita. Was a nice and easy Platinum too.

EDIT

I was really looking forward to playing this. Rented a copy from Gamefly to see if I'd enjoy it before buying it, but for some reason, my PS4 keeps starting and stopping the disc, which is causing the game to take forever to load, and the audio/gameplay freezes every couple seconds. It's unplayable in that state.

Weird thing is, it's only that disc. Every other physical game I have works perfectly still, including Metal Gear, which is my most recent purchase.

I tried Tearaway on the official firmware and on the beta firmware and had the same results each time. I also checked to make sure that it didn't get smudged or scratched in the mail. No clue why it's doing it.

This is interesting. My copy just loaded up really quick and when I went to play it I was stuck on the initial loading screen for ages and then got a prompt saying the disc is unplayable and the data is corrupt. I deleted it and tried to install the disc again and got the same error. I can't even get the game to work at all. It's not my ps4 as I installed MGSV the day after and that works fine. Just seems like the data hasn't been properly burned to the disc on my copy!

I'm so bummed out. My copy arrived last week and it seems to be a duff disc. I've had to send Simplygames an email to ask for a replacement disc. :(

More people need to play this game man. I absolutely loved it on the Vita. Was a nice and easy Platinum too.

EDIT

This is interesting. My copy just loaded up really quick and when I went to play it I was stuck on the initial loading screen for ages and then got a prompt saying the disc is unplayable and the data is corrupt. I deleted it and tried to install the disc again and got the same error. I can't even get the game to work at all. It's not my ps4 as I installed MGSV the day after and that works fine. Just seems like the data hasn't been properly burned to the disc on my copy!

Keep trying, my brothers copy took 3 attempts to load up, kept crashing but eventually it made it.
Sad thing is the game has frozen twice on the opening level, put him back to the ps4 menu and he has had to reload.
Very strange, must be some bad copies as others on this forum haven't mentioned anything. I should also add that he had to restart the game once as some scraps got stuck in the ground when you need them to knock over some structure that 2 people are standing on,without them you cannot continue or even try again... also this was right at the start of the game and after 3 attempts to even load the game.
Might be dodgy discs or might need some serious patches, if this turns out to be another little big planet 3 situation then media molecule are finished in my mind.

shmoglish

Same here. It is still playable, because it does not happen often, but I am not happy with this. The hdd (I Guess) was very loud a few times.

Keep trying, my brothers copy took 3 attempts to load up, kept crashing but eventually it made it.
Sad thing is the game has frozen twice on the opening level, put him back to the ps4 menu and he has had to reload.
Very strange, must be some bad copies as others on this forum haven't mentioned anything. I should also add that he had to restart the game once as some scraps got stuck in the ground when you need them to knock over some structure that 2 people are standing on,without them you cannot continue or even try again... also this was right at the start of the game and after 3 attempts to even load the game.
Might be dodgy discs or might need some serious patches.

Hmmmmm. I'll give it another go an see if I can get any further. Thanks!

EDIT: It seems to be working now! I'll blast it for a couple of hours and see if it's ok. My disc drive is going insane though which has me worried.

EDIT2: Yup disc is buggered. The game is acting up like a dodgy disc does. Like repeating sound/audio bugs and constant freezing. My disc drives was in hyperdrive trying to run it too. Deleted it and will see what Simplygames say tomorrow about getting a replacement. At least I have MGSV to be playing!

Hmmmmm. I'll give it another go an see if I can get any further. Thanks!

EDIT: It seems to be working now! I'll blast it for a couple of hours and see if it's ok. My disc drive is going insane though which has me worried.

As i said, even if you do get it to load be very careful, my brothers copy crashed multiple times and like just yours the ps4 was going crazy.
I'm not sure it's wise to keep playing until we figure out if its the disc or just needs some kind of loading patch, fingers crossed though as from what i saw the image quality looked amazing and only helps to highlight the incredible art direction.

Late edit: Apparently his copy is still causing issues so he is getting a replacement, maybe best if you do the same if you still run into issues.

EDIT2: Yup disc is buggered. The game is acting up like a dodgy disc does. Like repeating sound/audio bugs and constant freezing. My disc drives was in hyperdrive trying to run it too. Deleted it and will see what Simplygames say tomorrow about getting a replacement. At least I have MGSV to be playing!

Apparently my brothers copy is still causing issues too so he is getting a replacement as well, given lots of people are not getting any problems i think it's safe to say theres probably just a few dodgy discs out there.

On a side note Simplygames are great and shouldn't give you any issues.

Apparently my brothers copy is still causing issues too so he is getting a replacement as well, given lots of people are not getting any problems i think it's safe to say theres probably just a few dodgy discs out there.

On a side note Simplygames are great and shouldn't give you any issues.

Good to hear about simplygames :) I've purchased many games from them but never had to use customer support!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just picked this up, only just learned to jump, so that's the end of chapter 1 I guess? Loving it so far, I can see how people might call it a bit slow but I'm having a real good time, controls so far are pretty sweet.

Top Bottom