• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen spears shark he watched kill friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crikey!

A 17-year-old Australian boy is dead after being attacked by what authorities suspect was a 13-foot-long great white—and a friend who was alongside him managed to survive after shooting the animal with his spear gun.

"The shark hit me first then attacked Jay," Matt Pullella wrote on Facebook, as per 9News. "The shark turned and came for me, I pushed the spear gun down its throat and fired the gun."

The pair were spearfishing roughly 130 feet off Three Stripes Beach, on Australia's southwest coast, yesterday when Jay Muscat was bitten on the leg; fisheries official Rich Fletcher says the shark may have been lured by the fish they caught, Perth Now reports.

Jay was pulled into a passing boat, where people tried to revive him, but he died before they reached shore, the Australian adds.

Fletcher says that based on bite marks and witness reports it was likely a great white, and that an effort is under way to find and kill the shark (though the hunt was ended today due to rough seas).

"Obviously if we find a shark with a spear in it that's clear cut but that's probably unlikely," he says.

Perth Now notes a sizable shark was seen a number of times at nearby Cheynes Beach in the week before the attack.

In his Instagram profile, Jay called himself "a salty young dog" whose "thing" was spearfishing and fishing; pictures of the recent high school grad posing with fish he caught are peppered across social media.

Jay is the eighth shark victim in five years; more recently, a teen was killed in 2013 and this man was killed while swimming. In October, a surfer lost both hands in a suspected great white attack.

This story originally appeared on Newser:

Viewt

Jesus Christ, that has to be such a grisly experience. I can't believe that shark is still alive after getting speared down the throat, though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Feel sorry for the kid and feel sorry for the shark. The kid's dead, and the shark was just doing its thing and now has a spear in its mouth.

Fusebox

Banned
Feel sorry for the kid and feel sorry for the shark. The kid's dead, and the shark was just doing its thing and now has a spear in its mouth.

And the plankton in that area are all bloodstained now I feel sorry for the plankton, and any innocent crustaceans that might be in shock after witnessing such a brutal attack. And also the jellyfish. Won't someone please think of the jellyfish!

Nah, fuck that shark.

Death by shark bite would be a better way to go than say drowning which is a real concern for surfers and people who are in the water as much as this boy was.

Most shark fatalities are from the loss of a limb. Victims often die from blood loss, whether on shore, in the ambulance or at the hospital. Rarely is it an instantaneous death. But you are right, the odds of drowning are much higher than a shark attack.

The kid must have been terrified. He's a warrior and I'm glad he made it out alive. Sorry for the loss of the other kid, nature is a cruel mistress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom