• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I just saw it. Plot was pretty shitty and went about itself like every summer blockbuster these days (blah blah blah save city from doomsday device), but I loved the characterizations of the Turtles. I was ok with Megan Fox as April O'Neal. Shredder was badass. Loved the little nods to the history of the franchise throughout the movie. Fight scenes were awesome, and action scenes were on point.

Turtle Van!!!!!!!!!

I put it ten leagues above TDKR and TDK.

It's the turtles movie we deserve and the one we need.

Take notes Nolan

That splinter battle was so effn good.

Yeah, well he is the master :p

linkboy

My 3yr old loves the current cartoon (Mikey, as he calls him, is his favorite) and (even though I was a little concerned with the violence and shredder in the movie), he freaking loved it.

Overall, I liked it. Was it perfect, hell no, but it was enjoyable. The cartoon on Nick is freaking amazing though.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So many groan worthy moments. Had a couple of endearing lines here and there but overall it was abysmal. I hate the retconned origin story. Ugh.

The nick cartoon is 500x better than this was.

i wish i could just check out a book on ninjutsu from the library and fight like that :p
After 10-15 or so years, why not?

Actually, I'd like to the sequel to show us Hamato Yoshi was part of Mr./Dr. O'Neil's team but thrown into the sewers by the Foot because of
Mr. Sacks loyalty to Oroku Saki after discovering their link/rivalry
. It could be his book that Splinter had found which may or may not have been placed there on purpose. Maybe he accidentally made contact with the Mutagen, developed a deformity and threatened to go public to cause a new twist on the Yoshi/Saki rivalry and that's when he's "killed" and dumped into the sewers. He could survive and become The Rat King similar to the new series because of his mutagen deformity and his study of the rat. Yeah, I make up wild stories during toy time =).

So many groan worthy moments. Had a couple of endearing lines here and there but overall it was abysmal. I hate the retconned origin story. Ugh.

The nick cartoon is 500x better than this was.
If they made a movie based on a basic Turtles vs Shredder storyline and their meeting of April from the show, you'd hate that too. These days, tv›movies so of course an ongoing and ever-developing show will be better than a movie constrained by time.

I love the nick series too, but if this new movie was a show and this was the special hour and a half pilot, I'd be hopeful that we'd be in for a great series.

jett

D-Member
If they made a movie based on a basic Turtles vs Shredder storyline and their meeting of April from the show, you'd hate that too. These days, tv›movies so of course an ongoing and ever-developing show will be better than a movie constrained by time.

I love the nick series too, but if this new movie was a show and this was the special hour and a half pilot, I'd be hopeful that we'd be in for a great series.

Tmnt_s1e21_by_lilachsigal-d672b0q.gif

DrEvil

Nope. You've pegged the wrong part of the film I disliked. This movie had Zero heart. No emotional connection to ANYTHING happening on screen. The nick cartoon is actually endearing and the turtles are written in a much more natural sense.

I'm sorry, but turtles being Aprils pets and having splinter even remember her is just too much. It's a terrible shoehorn that shouldn't have existed. And you can tell there's a couple hints left of the alien origin story too, as one of her recordings has either her or Sachs mention the origin of the ooze being alien in nature. It was just a mess that screwed with a working and common knowledge backstory.

Honestly, I get that tv is long form and can play off things in different ways to a film, but the actual story telling ability of even one episode of the new nick show is far superior to this 90 minute shitfest. They even lifted the pizza slicing gag from the 90s film and somehow made it worse by not focusing on splinter's reaction. And in this case, splinter is freakin nightmare fuel.

The ending sequence was just bland, and how exactly did the falling spire just land softly from 60 stories up after Raph had his love in? Blarg.

Ragnarok

i'll repost my thoughts from the box office thread;

Movie was good summer fun. Turtles design took some getting used to but they animated and emoted so well that it made up for it. Genuinely funny moments and good action. Lots of little callbacks to old source material (tonight I dine on turtle soup, made me squeal lol). Didn't mind April at all and thought arnett was good.

Haters be damned, this was quite entertaining and I'm glad the poor reviews didn't hurt the box office. This was so much more enjoyable than any transformers.

jett

D-Member
Nope. You've pegged the wrong part of the film I disliked. This movie had Zero heart. No emotional connection to ANYTHING happening on screen. The nick cartoon is actually endearing and the turtles are written in a much more natural sense.

I'm sorry, but turtles being Aprils pets and having splinter even remember her is just too much. It's a terrible shoehorn that shouldn't have existed. And you can tell there's a couple hints left of the alien origin story too, as one of her recordings has either her or Sachs mention the origin of the ooze being alien in nature. It was just a mess that screwed with a working and common knowledge backstory.

Honestly, I get that tv is long form and can play off things in different ways to a film, but the actual story telling ability of even one episode of the new nick show is far superior to this 90 minute shitfest. They even lifted the pizza slicing gag from the 90s film and somehow made it worse by not focusing on splinter's reaction. And in this case, splinter is freakin nightmare fuel.

The ending sequence was just bland, and how exactly did the falling spire just land softly from 60 stories up after Raph had his love in? Blarg.

58d4fe21a5ec2c030701c4d6a8ffd12e.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Someone hasn't read the IDW comic run which is the single greatest turtle story ever at this point. Love the kirbyesque original run, but I'm totally OK with tying April into the origin story.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Anyway,

I enjoyed it. It was a fun little popcorn flick with decent set piece action and very entertaining.

Had tons of issues, but the overall fun factor outweighed that for me.

DrEvil

Someone hasn't read the IDW comic run which is the single greatest turtle story ever at this point. Love the kirbyesque original run, but I'm totally OK with tying April into the origin story.

Nope. I'm not a comics reader in general. So my knowledge of the turtles is rooted in the 90s cash grab that was the TMNT cartoons and films... They were just done far better than this.

Sanjuro

I don't agree.

My favorite issue was the Eastman annual, which was shit on by pretty much every IDW fan.

I do like Ross Campbell's art though.

The origin didn't really bother me. Splinter is getting tested so it makes sense he can remember April. It creates a realistic connection compared to the first movie. That origin was a tad too wacky.

Nope. I'm not a comics reader in general. So my knowledge of the turtles is rooted in the 90s cash grab that was the TMNT cartoons and films... They were just done far better than this.

Weren't there a lot of voice acting errors in the cartoons? I know AVGN touched on a few of them. Also, the first TMNT movie is really the only out of the original three that I'd give a nostalgia pass to, tbh.

RedAssedApe

Banned
$93.7 mil worldwide. I'm still laughing at all the salt in the comments to these news articles.

The origin didn't really bother me. Splinter is getting tested so it makes sense he can remember April. It creates a realistic connection compared to the first movie. That origin was a tad too wacky.

This part always made me laugh even back then...super cringe-y when watching now.

mv3n73.gif

Realistic? What? How is the old origin more wacky than a mutant rat learning ninjustu from a book. Theyre both ridiculous.

The original origin is clearly better. Pets imitate their owners, His old origin had a better basis and yknow, provides him with a real connection with the main villain with the Hamato Yoshi/ Oroku Saki/Nagi feud

Realistic? What? How is the old origin more wacky than a mutant rat learning ninjustu from a book. Theyre both ridiculous.

The original origin is clearly better. Pets imitate their owners, His old origin had a better basis and yknow, provides him with a real connection with the main villain with the Hamato Yoshi/ Oroku Saki/Nagi feud
Every martial arts medium that features a scroll as the macguffin tells me this is a thing. Sure, they feature martial artists who would know, but I don't see how it'd be that hard teaching youself a martial art since... that's how it started!

kehs

Banned
$93.7 mil worldwide. I'm still laughing at all the salt in the comments to these news articles.

This part always made me laugh even back then...super cringe-y when watching now.

mv3n73.gif

That shit is so ridiculous. lol

Makes the old movie yearning even more hilarious to read.

You know, I always wonder why the more obnoxious youtubers are usually the more popular ones.

Personality and screen presence. You have to be at least a little obnoxious for people to remember you. The more calm and collected tubers usually get drowned out by the billion other calm and collected tubers.

kehs

Banned
That scene was either cut in the editing room or was rewritten. I thought the movie was too short, so that scene would have been welcomed.

Probably the walk to the van or something.

Might have killed the "how'd he get in here" reaction from arnett though.

zeemumu

If you're going to give the secondary characters more screen time than the main characters because the animation for the main characters costs a lot of money and it isn't a Godzilla film, you may as well not make the movie at all.

Every martial arts medium that features a scroll as the macguffin tells me this is a thing. Sure, they feature martial artists who would know, but I don't see how it'd be that hard teaching youself a martial art since... that's how it started!
You don't think it's difficult to self teach yourself? People didnt just come up with martial arts out of their asses. People created and refined martial arts through experience. Original Splinter had a teacher, his owner. 80s toon and 2012 Splinter just streamlined it by making Yoshi Splinter. The new
Splinter wasn't even mutated that much longer than the turtles, why is he their master if he just recently read this?

obin_gam

The ending credits mentions the
"Original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme"

Why? Was this heard in the movie? Where?

I meant tying in April and the creation of the Turtles is more realistic. Splinter is already being mutated. So remembering April and learning ninja isn't THAT much of a stretch. Compared to a non mutated Splinter learning ninja in cage.

The connection with Shredder is the only thing i would say is better. But it doesn't really make a difference.

Goliath

thought that shredder suit was pretty badass...but what was even more badass was that splinter was able to go toe to toe with him. showed you the difference in skill between the turtle bros and their master.

I agree although I did wish that Leo would have been able to hold his own a little better then the other bros. He is the better fighter and the leader. It would have been nice if he didn't get swatted as easily as his bros. He usually holds his own better in the cartoons.

I meant tying in April and the creation of the Turtles is more realistic. Splinter is already being mutated. So remembering April and learning ninja isn't THAT much of a stretch. Compared to a non mutated Splinter learning ninja in cage
What about that is realistic? It just seems like like a plot element. Which is fine, i think it's a cool way tie her in too but I'm not seeing what is realistic about it. Either way she just discovers the turtles and ends up being their first human friend. What is her being part of their origin add to anything? Does it change their relationship in anyway?

The lack of the Yoshi/Saki tie in vastly changes everything for the turtles and shredder as they no longer have a personal vendetta against each other.

happypup

What about that is realistic? It just seems like like a plot element. Which is fine, i think it's a cool way tie her in too but I'm not seeing what is realistic about it. Either way she just discovers the turtles and ends up being their first human friend. What is her being part of their origin add to anything? Does it change their relationship in anyway?

The lack of the Yoshi/Saki tie in vastly changes everything for the turtles and shredder as they no longer have a personal vendetta against each other.

I would not be surprised if they use more of the IDW origin in future films,
that is to bring in some reincarnation and mysticism to explore the Oroku Saki, Hamato Yoshi connection.

It's just more believable imo. Similar to Planet on the Apes. The Sacks/Shredder combination adds enough story for all of them to fight and hate each other. I'm honestly hoping Shredder isn't the main villain in the next one anyways.

y2dvd

Personality and screen presence. You have to be at least a little obnoxious for people to remember you. The more calm and collected tubers usually get drowned out by the billion other calm and collected tubers.

You could have personality and not be obnoxious, but I'm getting off topic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom