• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles |OT| Nickelodeon made a funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen it yet, but if anything why is the art style getting hate? It's pretty hard getting a distinct art style in CGI TV cartoons, but I like the proportions of the turtles and it has this detailed claymation/stop motion look.

TreIII

The 2k show is a prime example on why "expansion ideas" don't work that well.

I'd wager that was more of a syndrome of Laid just not giving a fuck anymore.

For example, as bad as "Flash Forward" was, his alternate idea about having the TMNT palling around with their kiddy selves sounded even WORSE. This was the same guy who talked about wanting to keep the "TMNT special" and vetoed any requests involving the likes of Slash, yet he was willing to back that idea, and then bought us the "Dark Turtles".

Rootbeer

Banned
Those of you who are purchasing the figures, where are you picking them up at?

Any cheaper than $10 at Amazon?

wal-mart is by far the cheapest, I've seen them for $7.77... maybe cheaper in some areas. Most places sell them for $8.99. amazon marks them up to $9.99... bastards.

I have all of the figures, doubles of the turtles and a few extra foot soldiers. Can't wait to get Metalhead, Fishface and Dogpound sometime in October. Hope we will see Leatherhead and Snakeweed next year, along with plenty of other new figures.

klgVF.jpg

I really dig the new show, including the art style. I think kids will like it a lot and that is the market they are after. Plenty of the older fans seem fine with it too. Frankly I think this is the best the turtles have ever looked in animation. Still getting used to the humans, but this is TV CGI animation... you can't compare it to film CGI, the budgets are a world apart. Give them a break.

We've come a long way since that MTV Spidey CGI cartoon, and even back then I loved it

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh it's all right I guess. Not as good as 2003 but it's better than what I imagined.

Hopefully they got Leatherhead right. He was a lovable dude in the comics and in the 2003 version.

So I didn't get to catch this, but TMNT was essentially my childhood. First impressions:

1) Art style is crap, but still better than that generic CGI they used in the most recent movie

Hell no. CGI by the film got the design of the city right and outside of the turtles' irises, got the turtles done well.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't think it will be a true love triangle... April will probably fall for Casey, and Don will just be all emo about it cause April would never love a freak like him :p

It's gonna be interesting to see where they take that dynamic, or if they'll just gloss over and forget about it because, afterall, it's a kid's show and there's only so many places they can take that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I liked it! Seems like a respectable adaptation, though more in line with the elements of the 80s cartoon, which I'm happy about. I never quite took to the 2003 cartoon, though I hear it's good.

I also liked how it's really going back to the beginning, their first foray into the city, their first pizza, etc. All the other shows I can remember started in the midst of their adventures.

Loved the artstyle and the manga touches.

wal-mart is by far the cheapest, I've seen them for $7.77... maybe cheaper in some areas. Most places sell them for $8.99. amazon marks them up to $9.99... bastards.

I have all of the figures, doubles of the turtles and a few extra foot soldiers. Can't wait to get Metalhead, Fishface and Dogpound sometime in October. Hope we will see Leatherhead and Snakeweed next year, along with plenty of other new figures.

I really dig the new show, including the art style. I think kids will like it a lot and that is the market they are after. Plenty of the older fans seem fine with it too. Frankly I think this is the best the turtles have ever looked in animation. Still getting used to the humans, but this is TV CGI animation... you can't compare it to film CGI, the budgets are a world apart. Give them a break.

We've come a long way since that MTV Spidey CGI cartoon, and even back then I loved it
Went to go search for those, but couldn't find them. Got Splineter instead of Kraang. Kraang was pretty flimsy and as thin as a pube.

jett

D-Member
That was really good for a kids show. Animation style is cool and high quality and I dig the visual flourishes in it. It has lots of personality.

smr00

Banned
That was really good for a kids show. Animation style is cool and high quality and I dig the visual flourishes in it. It has lots of personality.
Yeah i was honestly really surprised with the animation, i was expecting the dull Transformers Prime visuals where it just looks completely empty and boring.

Don't get me wrong, i dig Prime but this just looks really good and i am actually surprised at how much i like the voice acting and the intro theme.

Rootbeer

Banned
Went to go search for those, but couldn't find them. Got Splineter instead of Kraang. Kraang was pretty flimsy and as thin as a pube.

the figures of the 4 turtles are really great, but the supporting characters are so-so

Kraang and April are probably the worst. They look cool, but bad at posability. Kraang has weird feet so he falls a lot. It's depressing :p

Shredder is pretty dang good. Splinter is okay but the robe looks weird on a figure. I wish we got to see more of his lower body, like the original Splinter figure.

Foot soldier is pretty standard, does the job.

Metalhead looks great though. A lot of stores probably have already received boxes with the new figures, but they aren't on shelves yet.

I actually got my first full set of the 2012 TMNT figures by asking a Target associate to get the box for me from the back, because I had the product ID # it was easy for them to find. Because of this I had the figures more than 2 weeks before most people. These figures have no official street date, so if you can find a store willing to sell them early, it's not a problem. I'm not trying to advocate bugging the stores in this way, but having worked a stocking job when I was in HS, I know this isn't putting them out. It's standard practice as customers ask this all the time.

Sanjuro

Yeah, I'm thinking about grabbing a couple. Probably would get Metalhead and Leonardo. I still have sealed variants of the movie/2k3 series I'm trying to get rid of. I just don't collect anymore, just like having something for the desk.

MisterHero

Getting 1 or 2 of the new classic figures sounds mighty appealing right about now.

I have vintage figures but the plastic is brittle and they can break easily (even my Mutations figures which I kept in their boxes!). Not to mention loose parts lol. >_>

I think my 2K3 set will fare better but I prefer the old cast more.

When I have the means to order through interwebs maybe I'll buy a set of NECA TMNT + Shredder + April. :)

Sanjuro

Getting 1 or 2 of the new classic figures sounds mighty appealing right about now.

I have vintage figures but the plastic is brittle and they can break easily (even my Mutations figures which I kept in their boxes!). Not to mention loose parts lol. >_>

I think my 2K3 set will fare better but I prefer the old cast more.

When I have the means to order through interwebs maybe I'll buy a set of NECA TMNT + Shredder + April. :)

I sold my NECA set for a couple hundred dollars. Just have a lone Michelangelo on my desk from NECA.

Rootbeer

Banned
I would love to have all 4 NECA figures!

Sadly they are really expensive, $100 a set at the low-end

you have to be very careful buying those things off ebay... a lot of them are chinese bootlegs and it is very hard to tell if they are originals unless you look at them up close

If the seller is from China, do NOT buy

the figures of the 4 turtles are really great, but the supporting characters are so-so

Kraang and April are probably the worst. They look cool, but bad at posability. Kraang has weird feet so he falls a lot. It's depressing :p

Shredder is pretty dang good. Splinter is okay but the robe looks weird on a figure. I wish we got to see more of his lower body, like the original Splinter figure.

Foot soldier is pretty standard, does the job.

Metalhead looks great though. A lot of stores probably have already received boxes with the new figures, but they aren't on shelves yet.

I actually got my first full set of the 2012 TMNT figures by asking a Target associate to get the box for me from the back, because I had the product ID # it was easy for them to find. Because of this I had the figures more than 2 weeks before most people. These figures have no official street date, so if you can find a store willing to sell them early, it's not a problem. I'm not trying to advocate bugging the stores in this way, but having worked a stocking job when I was in HS, I know this isn't putting them out. It's standard practice as customers ask this all the time.
Yeah so far I have Donnie, April, Shredder and Splinter. Fish face and Dog Pound are definitely. Do you have the bus? Looks pretty awesome.

Guys, don't mean to derail the topic, but if I wanted to get into the old school turtles comics (circa early 80s), where should I begin? I've seen the ultimate collections on amazon, but those are the original black and white version right? I could of sworn there was a colored anthology?

What do you recommend Turtle-GAF?

I did try to watch the first season but... I dunno. As I said, it didn't grab me.

Give it another chance. It's kinda like venture bros., starts off kinda slow, but picks up as the seasons goes on

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah so far I have Donnie, April, Shredder and Splinter. Fish face and Dog Pound are definitely. Do you have the bus? Looks pretty awesome.

I have all of the vehicles except the skateboard, which to me is kinda lame (techdecks look better and are cheaper!)

* Shellraiser - (their 'van' which is made out of a subway car in this series)
* Stealth Bike - comes with a Raph variant with helmet
* Dragon Chopper - comes with foot soldier variant w/ dragon helmet
* Rippin' Rider - a motorcycle, usually seen with Don riding it

The only thing left I need to get...

The Secret Sewer Lair. It is a Toys R Us exclusive, $119 but it is HUGE as you can see. They don't make them like this anymore.

Rootbeer

Banned
Guys, don't mean to derail the topic, but if I wanted to get into the old school turtles comics (circa early 80s), where should I begin? I've seen the ultimate collections on amazon, but those are the original black and white version right? I could of sworn there was a colored anthology?

What do you recommend Turtle-GAF?

Give it another chance. It's kinda like venture bros., starts off kinda slow, but picks up as the seasons goes on

I have some of the new colored 80s comics in digital form. IMO they look weird... the comics are meant to be B&W and it shows.

I've never owned or seen in person the ultimate collection books that recently started coming out. Yes they are in B&W and the reviews seem good, but some are complaining they don't look as clear and crisp as the originals, probably due to the way they were scanned.

I found some comparisons here. To my eyes they don't look like major problems (yet still quite noticable). So I would probably buy the new versions if I needed the originals.

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=267763#267763

You can also buy them in digital format if you prefer tablet or computer viewing. Personally due to the rarity of the original versions of the comics I sought out some scans online because I want to view them as they originally looked. There's some decent quality stuff out there if you look. Since the original TMNT owners no longer have the rights and aren't getting money from these books anymore, I don't morally feel obligated to give a shit.

Check out the new IDW series, it has been getting really good.

I have some of the new colored 80s comics in digital form. IMO they look weird... the comics are meant to be B&W and it shows.

I've never owned or seen in person the ultimate collection books that recently started coming out. Yes they are in B&W and the reviews seem good, but some are complaining they don't look as clear and crisp as the originals, probably due to the way they were scanned.

I found some comparisons here. To my eyes they don't look like major problems (yet still quite noticable). So I would probably buy the new versions if I needed the originals.

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=267763#267763

You can also buy them in digital format if you prefer tablet or computer viewing. Personally due to the rarity of the original versions of the comics I sought out some scans online because I want to view them as they originally looked. There's some decent quality stuff out there if you look. Since the original TMNT owners no longer have the rights and aren't getting money from these books anymore, I don't morally feel obligated to give a shit.

Check out the new IDW series, it has been getting really good.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are there trades of the IDW new comic?

Rootbeer

Banned
These are not my auctions... but since these are officially unreleased figures I thought some might find it interesting to look at the pictures. These are a bit clearer than the earlier pics.

Metalhead
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickelodeon-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Metalhead-/251159701643
Fishface
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickelodeon-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Fishface-/251159702941
Dogpound
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickelodeon-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Dogpound-/251159703172

I work at TRU and I feel like I saw Fishface come in off the first truck onto the wall..

How are these "unreleased" but packaged? (And eBay cheap?)

Episode 2 was great. Shredder is back. I always thought that Krang worked for the Shredder because of the old cartoon. I am loving this show. And April looks better on the second viewing. I guess the animation style needed some time to get used to.

Tizoc

Thanks for the suggestions! Are there trades of the IDW new comic?

Just noticed your post, the original 80s comic is collected in TPBs:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=tmnt+classic

EDIT: You'll want to get the Ultimate Collections, which are OK IMO at that price.
The IDW series is good too altho their pace is somewhat slow.

I guess I base this off how much I've read the character in the comics, so it weirded me out. Splinter is usually quite serious, but as far as this interpetation goes I'll end up getting used to it. I did get a few laughs from his lines TBH.

Also what do you guys think of the intro? To me it's...catchy.

what the FUCK did they do to April?

1984 Mirage comics version:
uknDv.jpg

(was she Cher in this version?)

1987 Saturday Morning Cartoon version:
april_o%27neil_fashion_doll_cartoon.gif

2003 Fox Kids era:
139467-172684-april-o-neil.jpg

2007 TMNT CGI movie:
4204_10.jpg

2012 Nicktoons version:
character-april-o-neil.png

It's funny how her design gets physically younger with each version. I'm also not really a fan of the hyper stylized look of this new iteration either.

But eh, I'm not one of those people who complains about this one being different from the version I grew up with. They all deviated from the original source heavily, nothing was really ever written in stone with this series.

Just noticed your post, the original 80s comic is collected in TPBs:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=tmnt+classic

EDIT: You'll want to get the Ultimate Collections, which are OK IMO at that price.
The IDW series is good too altho their pace is somewhat slow.

Thanks for the info! Not a bad price for the IDW sets. I've seen the ultimate sets, but I could of sworn that I've seen those before as a kid, but in color. The ones in amazon (the color sets) are mixed issues right?

The real question is, why is one of the turtles wearing a bath towel in that first pic?

They're chilling in one of the apartments above April's antique store (where they live after Mousers tear up the lair in the sewers) after fighting some remnants of the Foot Clan and he's just gotten out of the shower.

I sold my NECA set for a couple hundred dollars. Just have a lone Michelangelo on my desk from NECA.

I have you to thank for my set of NECA Turtles. I can't believe you got rid of 'm.

I really enjoyed the premiere and really like the opening theme. I am a kid of the 80's and a massive fan of the '87 cartoon and the original comics and I found this to be a refreshing take. I've never seen the 2003 cartoon and didn't mind the 2007 movie but I can't view it as a sequel to the first (second?) movie as I wasn't a fan of the art style. And I love this style.

Also, I bought the first collected volume soft cover (Turtle face cover) and it looks like they are not releasing a soft cover version of the second volume. That sucks.

Now to decide if I should pick up the foursome in toy form so my son won't touch my NECA versions, though I still have my OG 80's toys (only Raph and a backstroking Donatello). Bebop and Rocksteady need to be in this new show.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info! Not a bad price for the IDW sets. I've seen the ultimate sets, but I could of sworn that I've seen those before as a kid, but in color. The ones in amazon (the color sets) are mixed issues right?

Yup, you don't need to read those if you only want to know about the 'main' plot in the 80s comics. I myself don't remember any of them but you can read them if you want to see other writers take on the characters back in the 80s.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Are the mirage comics better than the Archie ones?

they're kinda too different to give a definitive answer. Archie's were pretty serialized, if you like that sort of thing (and obviously sourced from the TV show/toys). Mirage V1 was more like a showcase for guest creators for most of its run (with more canonical details filled in during Tales of the TMNT).

Xater

I think this show is very well done but some of the writing was incredibly hokey and will only work for children.

Are the mirage comics better than the Archie ones?

From what I have read of the Mirage series, it is closest to the first live action movie in story. The introduction to Casey Jones is very similar to how it was in the 1990 movie, same with them staying in Aprils apartment and the battle with Shredder on the rooftops as well as the whole farm thing. Though April in the movie is closer to her 1987 cartoon counterpart. But yeah, the Mirage comic books can be look at as a series of mini series. They are definitely interesting to read, if you want to see the roots of the Ninja Turtles.

Rootbeer

Banned
I work at TRU and I feel like I saw Fishface come in off the first truck onto the wall..

How are these "unreleased" but packaged? (And eBay cheap?)
Well playmates representatives are on record as saying these aren't out until October or later. But yeah they are clearly arriving already, how else do they get on ebay? You don't happen to work at a TRU in the bay area do you? :p
Keno reference??

AifI8.png

Actually... it is supposed to look like a young Ciro Nieli, the executive producer. In a recent podcast he talked about how his dad owned a pizza shop (the pizza shop and its pizza featured near the beginning is inspired by his dad's shop) and the rider is supposed to look like a teenage version of him.

But I agree you could really go either way (well, except the rider isn't asian)

JimiNutz

Banned
Just watched episode 1 and was pleasantly surprised.

The art style is great, dont think the turtles have ever looked better.

Im not sure if I will continue to watch though. It is still very much a kids show (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but not sure if it'll hold my interest once the novelty wears off.

I have never read any turtles comics - which are the best ones, the IDW series?
Does anyone have any amazon links so that I can check them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom