• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens React to Nintendo (NES)

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Surprised they didn't play Duck Hunt as well.

They would've loved/hated the asshole dog.

I'm still struggling to accept some of those teens are 19 years old.

Didn't they have a big brother that played with a SNES or NES, man?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Their big brothers probably started w/ the PS2. Remember a 25 year old today was 16 when the last generation launched.

Dude I'm 26 and I remember my mom coming home when I was a little kid with an SNES and Super Mario World. And before that we had an NES.

I was probably like... 3-5 during my earliest gaming memories.

cnorwood

Banned
I'm not much older than some of these kids (23) and I while I didnt play an actual NES much I did know about it. Good shit for Virtual Console and emulators I guess

DrRussian

I'm younger than some of them and I was raised on an NES. It kinda surprised me that the majority of them had no earthly clue what it was at first.

Their big brothers probably started w/ the PS2. Remember a 25 year old today was 16 when the last generation launched.

As much as I want to say they played it up for the camera, my first gaming experience was DKC on the SNES, at 6 years old. We must be the outliers more than anything.

i will be dead before disc rot affects anything in my collection.

and if i did have to deal with it, i would just buy another disc.

Good luck with that. At the rate retro game prices have skyrocketed, replacing a collection of discs isn't financially feasible.

I'll be happy that my carts can take longer wear and tear.

Surprised they didn't play Duck Hunt as well.

They would've loved/hated the asshole dog.
Missed opportunity given they were using a CRT for that bit.

ROB would have been fun too but you know how expensive he is and how he is usually missing parts. ROB requires a bit too much explanation as well (the button combo to make it do anything...really...slowly)

Dishwalla

Banned
The batteries will not last longer. The carts will essentially be useless and there are too many internal parts in a cart that can go awry as opposed to disc rot

It takes two seconds worth of hand soldering using an iron bought from RadioShack to replace cartridge batteries. Replacing batteries inside Pokemon cartridges, especially Gold and Silver, has been a big thing for several years now, and really the only way that these games can continue to be sold on the second hand market. I see advertisements all the time from local used video game shops that say they'll replace your batteries for you for a small fee.

I'd be willing to bet you could even replace most of the capacitors and resistors inside cartridges with relative ease, the parts are probably on the internet somewhere. The only part that I think might be troublesome is the ic chip containing the ROM, since after replacement you'd have to reprogram it, but even then that seems like something that is more than possible.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Good luck with that. At the rate retro game prices have skyrocketed, replacing a collection of discs isn't financially feasible.

I'll be happy that my carts can take longer wear and tear.

?????????????????????????????????????????

do you have a cart version of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games or something? The hell are you on about?

and the "retro game prices" apply to carts too. Just because you can replace certain parts to it yourself, you're in the 1% where people would actually want to deal with that bullshit.

It takes two seconds worth of hand soldering using an iron bought from RadioShack to replace cartridge batteries. Replacing batteries inside Pokemon cartridges, especially Gold and Silver, has been a big thing for several years now, and really the only way that these games can continue to be sold on the second hand market. I see advertisements all the time from local used video game shops that say they'll replace your batteries for you for a small fee.

I'd be willing to bet you could even replace most of the capacitors and resistors inside cartridges with relative ease, the parts are probably on the internet somewhere. The only part that I think might be troublesome is the ic chip containing the ROM, since after replacement you'd have to reprogram it, but even then that seems like something that is more than possible.

pretty good satire, if i do say so myself. replacing batteries and capacitors and resistors just so you can play Sesame Street: Big Bird's Hide & Go Speak gave me a good laugh.

Brofield

GAF reacts to Teens React is pretty amazing, thanks for the entertainment. Though I thoroughly despair in less than a decade when it's TEENS REACT TO N64/GAMECUBE.

God I hope we revert to the stone age before then.

Jesus Christ though, that first goomba...it's like they are using flappy bird physics to beat him.

Actionless

Neo Member
I thought it was common knowledge that it sucked. Who the fuck wants to hold something with sharp corners? SNES controller was he biggest improvement possible.

I have to disagree here, I have original controllers, Dog Bones, converted Famicom controllers and a Famicom Honeybee controller. I still fell the original was the best BECAUSE of the sharp corners. I like that when i hold it it doesnt move about, the later Dog Bone/Snes version slips about all over the place for me.

Although the Famicoms look the best by far.

DonMigs85

I have to disagree here, I have original controllers, Dog Bones, converted Famicom controllers and a Famicom Honeybee controller. I still fell the original was the best BECAUSE of the sharp corners. I like that when i hold it it doesnt move about, the later Dog Bone/Snes version slips about all over the place for me.

Although the Famicoms look the best by far.

you either have weird hands or just aren't holding them correctly. The NES/Famicom controllers really weren't very ergonomic at all.

Dishwalla

Banned
pretty good satire, if i do say so myself. replacing batteries and capacitors and resistors just so you can play Sesame Street: Big Bird's Hide & Go Speak gave me a good laugh.

Um, ok. It's not about do you want to do it, it's about having the capability to do it. My point is it's relatively easy to save an old cartridge considering it's all hardware, if you put in a little effort. It'd be a lot like replacing parts in the console itself.

And why does it have to be Sesame Street? What if I found an old Earthbound cart in a garage sale for cheap, but due to faulty components it doesn't work? I could theoretically replace said components, if I was able to identify which ones were faulty.

Top Bottom