• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens React to Nintendo (NES)

L.O.R.D

"wait that's the controller? I have an iphone case like this"

GOD I CRINGED SO HARD

me too
the fact she have an iphone case look like NES controller but she doesn't know that case is resampling the NES
why she have it in first place ?
stuff like that was made for nostalgia

Videos like these makes me question if some of it is staged, or if the kids are just trying to make it entertaining. I understand not recognizing the NES, but playing SMB is no different than any other sidescroller today. They shouldn't have a problem at all getting through the first stage.

SkylineRKR

Videos like these makes me question if some of it is staged, or if the kids are just trying to make it entertaining. I understand not recognizing the NES, but playing SMB is no different than any other sidescroller today. They shouldn't have a problem at all getting through the first stage.

I think videos like these are partially fake but It IS different. NSMB has been made far easier too, for example.

SMB on NES had rather heavy controls, and the small controller is a problem for youngsters growing up with Dual Shocks and XB controllers too. I'm very sure that I also died at the first goomba way back, and didn't know you had to hold to run. SMB is a rather unforgiving game for todays standards.

topplehat

It's probably a little of that, they might overreact since they are on film. Also these are edited so only the "most absurd" reactions make the cut. It makes sense though, since the NES is pretty foreign to them.

Seriously, some of them know what Metroid is but not Legend of Zelda? I thought it was the other way around? There are still Zelda games being made.

Also, the NA NES sucks. That front loader design was the worst thing ever.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What in the hell. I'm pretty sure I knew about stuff that was popular with people 12 years older than me when I was 18. Are these kids really so absorbed solely in the present day?

sappyday

I have trouble playing the original Mario sometimes. It's worst when it's the first time and on a NES controller don't you think?

Also only one didn't pass the stage.

What in the hell. I'm pretty sure I knew about stuff that was popular with people 12 years older than me when I was 18. Are these kids really so absorbed solely in the present day?

You act as though all of them didn't know what it was.

Travo

Doubtful. I'm sure most of it is an act to appear clueless.

BasilZero

"You still want to tell me that a 1080p Xbox One is worse than this game? Get out of here"

jsKSR0W.png

Ermm dude, about that "1080p"....

IiPKT5a.gif

Perfect

Also another one of those who cant even get past 1-1 in SMB.....

MauroNL

These video's are always fun yet depressing to watch too. Shame the generation of today will grow up with crappy iPhone/iPad gaming and the legacy that is Nintendo will fade away slowly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I love video games, but that doesn't mean I know every franchise from every platform ever.
Obviously. I'm not questioning your gamer cred or anything ;) it's just surprising to me that someone here would have never heard of Dragon Quest. I haven't played any of the DQ games myself, but I thought it was the second most well-known jRPG franchise after Final Fantasy. But I might be showing my age with that... -_-

imBask

Banned
Obviously. I'm not questioning your gamer cred or anything ;) it's just surprising to me that someone here would have never heard of Dragon Quest. I haven't played any of the DQ games myself, but I thought it was the second most well-known jRPG franchise after Final Fantasy. But I might be showing my age with that... -_-

well you see, i've heard of dragon quest eventhough i've never played it. I had to google to know that Dragon Warrior 3 was related to that series, so that might be the problem with the question in the video

Anyone who has not played it and has little Mario experience will have problems with the first stage. Especially if they haven't used that controller before. That's 100% normal. Since the game was originally in arcades it was by definition designed to demand as many quarters as possible by forcing people to slowly learn things. This is proof of how damn good it was at that. Asking anyone to immediate adapt to any new game on with a new control scheme on the fly is pretty hard.

Not sure if "staged" is the right word but very selective in what footage to show.

Side-note: Anyone who didn't blow out their cartridges is a tool. I remember very very specifically in a computers class in elementary school having to write a short instructional thing using crappy stock clipart and I was forced, forced to say it was improper because that's not what the official instructions said. Goddamn teacher had a NES and like a responsible adult had actually read the goddamn instruction manual. No forgiveness for that teacher for the rest of my life. They also lied about DOS being too confusing and how it would never succeed because oh yeah, the Commodore 64's command prompts were so so perfect.

cHinzo

...What? How the....?
Edit: wait, do you know Dragon Quest, then?

I've heared of Dragon Quest, but never heard of Dragon Warrior before. Thought it would be something similar to a beat 'm up like Double Dragon. :|
Anyway, these react videos are awesome to watch. Funny to see how those kids and teens react to these older tech. Some of em even knew the classics!

Rocky

Banned
I've heared of Dragon Quest, but never heard of Dragon Warrior before. Thought it would be something similar to a beat 'm up like Double Dragon. :|

Dragon Warrior was the name of the Dragon Quest series in the US back in the 80s.

Dragon Warrior was the name of the Dragon Quest series in the US back in the 80s.

The first four Dragon Quest games were called Dragon Warrior in the western world, and there was also a Dragon Warrior VII on the PlayStation 1, which was really just Dragon Quest VII.

Arion

I don't see the point in these. Ofcourse kids aren't going to know about things which existed before they were born. Unless they are big enthusiasts in the subject matter.

Damn youngins...

And their failure on the first level of SMB is exactly what Nintendo was talking about in that story from awhile back.

sappyday

I don't see the point in these. Ofcourse kids aren't going to know about things which existed before they were born. Unless they are big enthusiasts in the subject matter.

Which is why it's fun showing them what it is and informing them.

flohen95

I'm from Europe and I don't think that game released over here. Maybe that's why I can't remember that name. :d

Yeah. The first Dragon Quest game released in Europe was Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King on the PS2, released ~17 Years after the first Dragon Quest/Warrior came out in the US. It was also the first game to retain the Dragon Quest name in the West, being released as Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King in the US.

It's so people can go on the enthusiast forums and bitch about kids being dumb and making them feel old

Top Bottom