• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken (2010 movie): Where did this come from, and why wasn't I told?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was watching "Movies That Don't Suck" on G4 this morning (I know), and stumbled across this little gem. It's weird. "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li" gets name-dropped all the time for the abortion that it is, but I've never heard anyone bring up this 2010 film.

Tekkenmovie.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Tekken (鉄拳?) is a 2010 American martial arts film directed by Dwight Little and adapted from the fighting game series of the same name. The film follows Jin Kazama (Jon Foo)[2] in his attempts to enter the Iron Fist Tournament in order to avenge the loss of his mother, Jun Kazama (Tamlyn Tomita), by confronting his father, Kazuya Mishima (Ian Anthony Dale) and his grandfather, Heihachi Mishima (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa), the latter of who he thought was responsible for her death. On November 5, 2009 Tekken was shown at American Film Market. On January 14, 2010, an international trailer was released,[3] and the film premiered in Japan on March 20, 2010.

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of Tekken and know diddly-squat about the lore. Does the game actually take place in a dystopian future, in a, uh, "Tekken City"? Because the movie does, and it's hilariously awesome.

Oh, and here's Heihachi:

326146-tekken2010_y.jpg

Played by the guy who played Shang-Sung in the first Mortal Kombat (another "great").

Eh, this may not mean much coming from a guy who only played Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament a few times before putting the controller down for good, but this movie was just plain bad, not "so-bad-it's-good" bad.

The fights are boring as shit and almost always end with the main character getting his ass kicked and then, like some anime cliche, he has a flashback to his youth that inspires him to come back and win every.single.time.

The movie also takes itself way too seriously, filling itself with bland dialogue and piss-poor character development throughout.

If you want to see a bad fighting game movie that's actually entertaining, check out this instead:

(click for trailer)

It has a better overall cast too.

I went to a MovieStop a while back and they had a sign up above a trash can filled with posters that said "Tekken movie posters: Take 1, Take 'em all. Just leave the trash can." I didn't take one.

Platy

The Tekken movie is a MASTERPIECE compared to the "KOF" movie .... but it is still bad.

Another vote for Dead Or Alive movie for best "so bad it is good" videogame movie

And ... WHY 90% of videogame adaptations come from a genre without story ? =P

accuse me of sharp knees-hate or whatever but I always found Devon Aoki unattractive. She's got such a small scrunched up face.

Acid08

Banned
The Tekken movie is a MASTERPIECE compared to the "KOF" movie .... but it is still bad.

Another vote for Dead Or Alive movie for best "so bad it is good" videogame movie

And ... WHY 90% of videogame adaptations come from a genre without story ? =P

Because then they don't have to follow any kind of set story.

LakeEarth

+1 vote for DOA movie. The "final boss" of that movie is ninja Eric Roberts. It has no right to be as entertaining as it is.

KamenSenshi

I wish the DoA movie could have been good but its nearly as bad as this. Still better than KoF or Chun li though. I wish there could be one as good as the first MK or at least as "faithful" as Street Fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom