• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 3D Prime Edition |OT| Ohh, Excellent!!

Sayah

jbhZisuVDnVgqS.jpg

*Thanks go to AAK for the gifs and much of the content in this thread and to Tekken community here for suggestions. :)

Developer: Arika, Namco Bandai Games
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Release Dates: Feb. 16, 2012 (Japan), Feb. 14, 2012 (NA), Feb. 17, 2012 (EU)

Boxart:
61rSdFXwvOL.jpg

Description
Tekken is not only heading to the WiiU but onto the 3DS as well. It promises to have 60fps gameplay while in full 3D mode being the first fighting game on the handheld platform to do both simultaneously. It aims to have over 40 characters which rivals the roster seen in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 even. The package is sealed also with the complete Tekken Blood Vengeance film watchable in 3D also.

Trailers
ib0NliYQxpcnoB.gif

2012 Trailer
Ono vs. Harada Trailer
Gamescom Trailer

Screenshots:

Characters
The game will feature a roster of over 40 playable characters.
jHiwzY8pQyW99.png

Characters include:
Alisa Bosconovitch
Anna Williams
Armor King II
Asuka Kazama
Baek Doo San
Bruce Irvin
Bryan Fury
Christie Monteiro
Craig Marduk
Devil Jin
Eddy Gordo
Eleonore "Leo" Kliesen
Emilie "Lili" de Rochefort
Feng Wei
Ganryu
Heihachi Mishima
Hwoarang
Jack-6
Jin Kazama
Julia Chang
Kazuya Mishima
King II
Kuma II
Lars Alexandersson
Lee Chaolan
Lei Wulong
Ling Xiaoyu
Marshall Law
Miguel Caballero Rojo
Mokujin
Nina Williams
Panda
Paul Phoenix
Raven
Robert "Bob" Richards
Roger Jr.
Sergei Dragunov
Steve Fox
Wang Jinrei
Yoshimitsu
Zafina

Stages
The game will include 8 new stages and also borrow some others from Tekken 6.
jbw20fOPDDcsms.png

Some stages include:
Zaibatsu Headquarters
Cathedral
Temple of the Dragon
Ancient Ruins
Lotus Hall
Bowling Alley Rooftop
Desert Wasteland
Wrecked Dojo

Modes
The game will feature several modes including online and offline versus battle as well as Survival, Training, and Quick Battle. Here's a taste of what's included.
Special Survival

j44OmAYsThhcr.png

Versus -
Note: the game will not support 3D during wireless multiplayer in order to maintain 60 FPS. However, 3D display at 60 FPS is supported for all the other modes.
jJc9XQ062BsCf.png

Practice
jQL6VvNYuHAyo.png

Additional Features
The game will allow for the use of touch commands on the bottom screen. The L and R buttons can also be used.
jbkN54ZJypreSZ.png

jbi0NzCEuFZH6A.png

The game will also feature unlockable cards which players can use to create an album.
j20u4rG9PPmzz.png

The following information comes from Andriasang.
Andriasang.com posted some details regarding the modes. It seems as if "Quick Battle" is the closest to an Arcade Mode (fight 10 opponents); though no word about endings, etc.

Special Survival
A survival mode where you see how long you can survive on one life bar. Depending on how quickly you defeat your opponent, you recover a bit at the end of the match. Perfect your opponent, and you'll start off the next match in Rage state.
Initially, you have access to just a five battle mode. Clear this, and you'll unlock ten and twenty battle modes. The 10th and 20th battles are special matches where you can only do damage to your enemies through aerial combo attacks.
As you win battles, you'll unlock Tekken cards. Clear the mode and you'll get CP.​

Versus Battle
A mode where you play against others via either local play or internet play.​

Quick Battle
Face off against 10 CPU opponents. You'll earn greater CP depending on the difficulty setting.​

Practice
Practice the basic moves and special skills for each character.​

Tekken Card
View your Tekken Cards and exchange them with friends via Street Pass. The cards have character images and illustrations from past Tekken games through Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and scenes from the Blood Vengeance movie.
For Street Pass, you can create a set of three cards which will be exchanged with passers by. Cards that you receive through Street Pass can be unlocked by exchanging your CP.
The game has over 700 Tekken Cards waiting to be collected.​

Edit your profile and view your records. You can also change character color and access a character viewer.​

Options
Set things like controls, difficulty, time limit, sound and other areas.​

Developer Interview

jUD7GLJMpGdrh.jpg

Iwata Asks - where the plate is a guest and everyone laughs really hard.

ibsdnPcBXRJvog.jpg

iUQ8IaSTxXqvL.gif

The Tekken 3DS Prime Edition includes the Tekken: Blood Vengeance movie in 3D.

T:BV is the CG Movie announced during Namco’s Dubai LevelUp event on May 5th. It was animated by Digital Frontier, the same guys who made the Resident Evil Degeneration films. The film was directed by Youichi Mori who also directed the game intros for Tekken 5 and Tekken 6. The screenplay was done by Dai Saito of Cowboy Bebop fame. BRD is set for North American release on November 22, 2011.

1958430-424px_tekken_blood_vengeance___poster.jpg

The plot, which takes place between the events of Tekken 5 and Tekken 6, begins with Anna Williams setting up a decoy for her sister, Nina Williams, who is currently working with the new head of the Mishima Zaibatsu, Jin Kazama. Anna, on the other hand, works for Jin's father, Kazuya Mishima and its rival organization, G Corporation. Both are seeking information about a student named Shin Kamiya, and Anna dispatches as a Chinese student Ling Xiaoyu to act as a spy, while Jin sends humanoid robot Alisa Bosconovitch for a similar purpose.

The main characters and their respective Seiyuu/VA:

• Ling Xiaoyu - Maaya Sakamoto/Carrie Keranen
  • Alisa Bosconovitch - Yuki Matsuoka/Cristina Valenzuela
  • Shin Kamiya - Mamoru Miyano/David Vincent
  • Kazuya Mishima - Masanori Shinohara/Kyle Hebert
  • Jin Kazama - Isshin Chiba/Patrick Seitz
  • Nina Williams - Atsuko Tanaka/ Charlotte Bell
  • Anna Williams - Akeno Watanabe/Tara Platt
ibmiA79Dnbv4F3.gif

Teaser Trailer

Movie Clip (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

itRzfVS2Xqf2w.gif

Ragus

Banned
WHAT? It comes out in a WEEK?

I'm starting to forget about all those no-games days of the 3DS. Nice OT, by the way ;).

Not to be a buzzkill but it needs to be pointed out:

Tekken 3D Prime Edition's bulging cart of 41 characters and a full-length 3D movie is nothing to be trifled with, and the latest Iwata Asks reveals plenty of interesting nuggets — and, indeed, noodles — about next week's scrapper. One such fact is that the stereoscopic display isn't available in wireless multiplayer.

A footnote to director Katsuhiro Harada's comment has this to say:

"60 frames per second (fps): Animation using 60 image frames per second. The more frames there are, the smoother the animation. In Tekken 3D: Prime Edition, the game supports 60 frames per second during wireless play, but stereoscopic 3D display is not supported."

I suppose this might not be giving us the full story - it might mean that 3D is not supported while the game is running at 60 FPS, i.e. there are graphics options sort of like SSF4. But a face value reading doesn't sound promising on that front.

And it's bound to be a great game anyway. GAF in particular doesn't seem to place a ton of importance on 3D, right?

Sayah

I suppose this might not be giving us the full story - it might mean that 3D is not supported while the game is running at 60 FPS, i.e. there are graphics options sort of like SSF4. But a face value reading doesn't sound promising on that front.

I'll put that information under versus. The game doesn't support 3D during wireless multiplayer. I believe that was mostly done to maintain 60 FPS. Otherwise, the game is in 3D at 60 FPS for all the other modes.

So this will be basically a portable Tekken 6 with 3D, some new stages and modes?

And a movie as well along with TTT2 Heihachi. But yeah, basically.

AAK

Be sure to enjoy the movie... it's got probably one of the most badass final 20 minutes in history ;)

dbh9YfDcej0JTW.gif

Dr. Light

And it's bound to be a great game anyway. GAF in particular doesn't seem to place a ton of importance on 3D, right?

It's referring just to wireless play. SSF4 didn't support 60fps in multiplayer, even in 2D mode.

- J - D -

Oh okay good, thanks. Was a bit worried if this was only a limited time sku, since I doubt I'll be able to buy it anytime soon, what with a bunch of other games (and the Vita) coming soon.

Kolgar

Had no idea this was out so soon. I just got my Revelaitons in the mail today, and it looks like I'm headed for more 3DS lovin' next week!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No arcade mode with endings for each character? Weirded out survival mode that isn't infinite? No fun bonus modes like Force/Ball/Bowling? Meh. This could have been so much more with some extra effort beyond the technical aspects (which they seem to have failed in too, dropping 3D for multiplayer). No mention of the once spoken of Tag Challenge either... But there are cards! Boo...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I'm a newerish 3ds owner, and I don't own a fighter yet. I sort of want to pick one up, but I can't really make up my mind on which one to get. It would be easy for me in Blaz Blue was online like the Vita version, but it's not.

I've seen DOA a ton of places for $20, but I've yet to pull the trigger. Also I know SFIV got great reviews as well. I kind of feel like the time has passed for both games though, and if I'm going to get a fighter I should pick up a newer one like Tekken. Then again I can find DOA or SF for probably 10-20 dollars less than Tekken's going to be at launch.

Not really sure what to do hmm...

wrowa

Sounds awesome to me, anyway. I don't need 3D if the gameplay suffers from it.

(Well, I don't need 3D anyway, since I'm unable to see it -- but my point stands)

SegaManAU

Gold Member
So excited for this! Two days after this is released I'm going on a 16 hour flight so I'll be playing this and RE:R!

YES!

Sayah

So I'm a newerish 3ds owner, and I don't own a fighter yet. I sort of want to pick one up, but I can't really make up my mind on which one to get. It would be easy for me in Blaz Blue was online like the Vita version, but it's not.

I've seen DOA a ton of places for $20, but I've yet to pull the trigger. Also I know SFIV got great reviews as well. I kind of feel like the time has passed for both games though, and if I'm going to get a fighter I should pick up a newer one like Tekken. Then again I can find DOA or SF for probably 10-20 dollars less than Tekken's going to be at launch.

Tekken requires a lot of time investment to get better. You have to learn sidestepping, guarding, running, movement, everything. But the rewards are very gratifying. The most fun to be had is in offline multiplayer, especially once your skills improves and you're facing someone at your level. No other game (in my experience) replicates this distinct feeling of intense pressure that's present in Tekken.
No arcade mode with endings for each character? Weirded out survival mode that isn't infinite? No fun bonus modes like Force/Ball/Bowling? Meh. This could have been so much more with some extra effort beyond the technical aspects (which they seem to failed in too if they had to drop 3D for multiplayer). No mention of the once spoken of Tag Challenge either... But there are cards! Boo.

They've kept silent on this game which is probably why most people didn't even know it was releasing. There are still additional details that are still missing that we'll have to wait till release to obtain (such as information on ranking matches). It's also the reason much of the information on the game for this thread was obtained from a Japanese website.
Although, I don't think 3DS players have any reason to be upset if there is no scenario campaign mode. Anyone who has played it can agree.

Edit: ranking matches will be there, of course, based on this image. But there have been no further details given.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Blazblue 3DS sucks, don't bother. (Blazblue sucks in general, really.)

SF4 is a pretty good port but the control scheme isn't really suited to 3DS, and the 3DS version is now two revisions behind the console versions.

DOA is exclusive to 3DS and well-suited to the hardware, and it's very beginner-friendly but also kinda shadow. If you're a more casual fighter fan it's a good pick.

Tekken is a much deeper game but you can easily mash your way through the single-player stuff if that's your bag. If you wanna play it seriously then T6 on consoles is probably a better choice, but this package is as good an introduction as anything, I guess.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tekken requires a lot of time investment to get better. You have to learn sidestepping, guarding, running, movement, everything. But the rewards are very gratifying. The most fun to be had is in offline multiplayer, especially once your skills improves and you're facing someone at your level. No other game (in my experience) replicates this distinct feeling of intense pressure that's present in Tekken.

They've kept silent on this game which is probably why most people didn't even know it was releasing. There are still additional details that are still missing that we'll have to wait till release to obtain (such as information on ranking matches). It's also the reason much of the information on the game for this thread was obtained from a Japanese website.
Although, I don't think 3DS players have any reason to be upset if there is no scenario campaign mode. Anyone who has played it can agree.

Edit: ranking matches will be there, of course, based on this image. But there have been no further details given.

Blazblue 3DS sucks, don't bother. (Blazblue sucks in general, really.)

SF4 is a pretty good port but the control scheme isn't really suited to 3DS, and the 3DS version is now two revisions behind the console versions.

DOA is exclusive to 3DS and well-suited to the hardware, and it's very beginner-friendly but also kinda shadow. If you're a more casual fighter fan it's a good pick.

Tekken is a much deeper game but you can easily mash your way through the single-player stuff if that's your bag. If you wanna play it seriously then T6 on consoles is probably a better choice, but this package is as good an introduction as anything, I guess.

Well I'm not a hardcore fighting fan, but I've played all the series since the SNES/Arcade days so I'm familar with everything. I just want something fun and portable I can play on the go, and I can play online like when I'm chill'n at my GF's place and have a free moment or two.

PS: BlazBlue Rocks just like Guilty Gear!!

Sweet. With this I imagine places with not a lot of arcades can now play TTT2 Alisa, Xiaoyu, Devil Jin, Devil Kaz and Heihachi.

Baby steps.

fernoca

Andriasang.com posted some details regarding the modes. It seems as if "Quick Battle" is the closest to an Arcade Mode (fight 10 opponents); though no word about endings, etc.

Special Survival
A survival mode where you see how long you can survive on one life bar. Depending on how quickly you defeat your opponent, you recover a bit at the end of the match. Perfect your opponent, and you'll start off the next match in Rage state.
Initially, you have access to just a five battle mode. Clear this, and you'll unlock ten and twenty battle modes. The 10th and 20th battles are special matches where you can only do damage to your enemies through aerial combo attacks.
As you win battles, you'll unlock Tekken cards. Clear the mode and you'll get CP.​

Versus Battle

Quick Battle
Face off against 10 CPU opponents. You'll earn greater CP depending on the difficulty setting.​

Practice

Tekken Card
View your Tekken Cards and exchange them with friends via Street Pass. The cards have character images and illustrations from past Tekken games through Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and scenes from the Blood Vengeance movie.
For Street Pass, you can create a set of three cards which will be exchanged with passers by. Cards that you receive through Street Pass can be unlocked by exchanging your CP.

Edit your profile and view your records. You can also change character color and access a character viewer.​

Options

Sayah

Special Survival

Versus Battle

Quick Battle

Practice

Tekken Card

Options
Thanks for this. Added to OP.

sfried

Chalk one up to another fighting game school of thought for 3DS.

So I now have SSFIV, DOA:D, BB:CS2, and I already have this preordered. I really wish they throw in SoCal and maybe even KoF/Fatal Fury in there for good measure. Heck, 3DS Fatal Fury would be perfect (use depth to judge if character is in background/forground).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hmmm no Story/arcade mode and normal modes kinda makes me not want. (might get at 20)

Luigiv

Hmmm no Story/arcade mode and normal modes kinda makes me not want. (might get at 20)

Quick Battle more or less sounds like an arcade mode. Tekken story modes are always terrible so it's more of a blessing that one isn't included.

Sayah

Quick Battle more or less sounds like an arcade mode. Tekken story modes are always terrible so it's more of a blessing that one isn't included.

Fighting games are all about multiplayer. Before, I used to go through arcade mode with every character to unlock other characters. But that's unnecessary now since everyone's already unlocked from the very beginning thanks to the tournament scene.

The lack of an arcade mode is still surprising but the movie can serve pretty well if anyone is looking for some sort of story. I don't think it's an integral part of the experience anyway. 99% of my single player play for Tekken 6 has been Practice mode. I guess it might suck for casual players but if you're looking to play competitively, fighting artificial intelligence won't do much for you. Most of the time is going to go in to practicing new combos and finding new strategies.

The only real disappointment is the lack of customization items especially when the series has developed a reputation for being customization heavy. Hopefully there will be future DLC updates to correct this.

Top Bottom